Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lpzie posted:

yup. exactly right. it's embarrassing, honestly

theyre all just a bunch of gatekeeping idiots. why do they care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's really funny how one of Barrett's made up bullshit explanations for Starborn turns out to be 100% correct, but I don't know if there's a way to ever bring it up in a conversation with him.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
me? I am just going to put the armillary on an outpost, cover it with turrets and just spend the rest of my life going on adventures with my friends, coworkers and spouse.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Ben Nerevarine posted:

your ship named Frontier :smuggo:

:catstare:

Tankbuster posted:

you can do it to ships is you board them after destroying their grav drive.

okay that rules

Lpzie posted:

no there's others, filler starborn, that basically haven't been filled in on what the Unity is it seems because they shout things like the unity is all mine and your unworthy to reach the unity etc. buddy, listen, you can enter the unity too, but after I do. just chill. and "worthiness"? sounds like ur making things up in your head. relax..

yeah, they seem like they don’t really “get” the multiverse. there’s room for everyone? they’re already here? they’ve been here forever????

idk how they don’t understand it.

DaysBefore posted:

The space pope(???) is Starborn too

I mean… not OUR space pope

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the only starborn with any brains are you sometimes, the Hunter, anyone just chilling out, and whoever built the Masada III "arena".

btw all of you should at least once visit Masada III at the start of a new run

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DaysBefore posted:

Bringing failson Sam Coe to the Deimos yard and he's like 'oh these are the guys that make warships so the UC can keep the colonies in line'. The UC ftw

it is very funny how the space DNC fascisty group ends up being the least worst faction

besides the snake god, i went snake god cult early on but sadly does not seem to be much snake god content

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Al! posted:

theyre all just a bunch of gatekeeping idiots. why do they care

“oh, nooo, enlightenment must come with a pledge of fealty, look at me I’m dystopian Buddha”

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Lpzie posted:

the only starborn with any brains are you sometimes, the Hunter, anyone just chilling out, and whoever built the Masada III "arena".

btw all of you should at least once visit Masada III at the start of a new run

noted

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

me? I am just going to put the armillary on an outpost, cover it with turrets and just spend the rest of my life going on adventures with my friends, coworkers and spouse.

I built mine on my ship and have not been attacked once.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

RandolphCarter posted:

I built mine on my ship and have not been attacked once.

Yeah wtf. I was pumped expecting to get ambushed by these idiots at random when I was jumping around. Never saw them

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I feel like the problem with being "attacked" while on a ship is that it happens when you just load up in to the system.

So most of the time that's when you jump into the system, but then you just jump somewhere else right away.

I missed so many encounters because I was just doing a series of jumps and didn't give a poo poo about whatever random crap spawned on me when the map loaded.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gotta gatekeep the unity so space Poor's don't think about using it to get a better life

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I’m pretty much burnt out on Starfield. Despite being ostensibly about space exploration, traversal and exploration suck. You need about a dozen mods to make the game playable with some very basic features. I did get about 80 hours out of it, about 15 in ship creator.

the true bgs experience.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

The space pope(???) is Starborn too

the "infinitum addendum " -> "indum" was such a drat stretch they had to make him Starborn.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mean Baby posted:

I’m pretty much burnt out on Starfield. Despite being ostensibly about space exploration, traversal and exploration suck. You need about a dozen mods to make the game playable with some very basic features. I did get about 80 hours out of it, about 15 in ship creator.

the true bgs experience.
it's good to stop playing games when you're no longer having fun, otherwise you run the risk of becoming a Games poster

i feel if Outposts weren't entirely underbaked and bad, and if space movement/combat/trucking wasn't so limited, there'd be another 150+ hrs of building a Factorio/Satisfactory-lite and playing 6dof space combat. like it's clear they planned to have outposts be a lot more meaningful part of the game with setting up turrents and base defense and supply chains, but it's so loving bad and unfinished.

i know it probably wouldn't make a lot of sense but it'd be nice if outposts/base-building were also persistent instead of getting wiped.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like the idea of turrets on your ship because half of them turn so slowly, but then you can’t actually coordinate them usefully and get them to hit weak points or concentrate fire. I just made them particle beams since they damage armour and shields and don’t need to be coordinated with my other weapons.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I just failed a Wisdom check and am half illithid now. Is that bad? Are my friends gonna get mad at me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

u were so excited to see him holding a switch u didn't even notice the pip boy

sweating so much his glasses keep sliding

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
i was curious how the armillary at outpost thing would work, because outposts only get attacked when you're there i think? i dunno, when i was trying to decide if i wanted to do any outposting i read something that said you dont really get raided actively, if you're at an outpost when a ship lands near you, and pirates get out of the ship, and they come towards your outpost they will break poo poo. but its not very common and none of it can happen if you aren't there.

so i assume you'd just eat a raid when you went back to get the armillary, unless you hang out at outposts a lot in the endgame?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I feel like I learned a lot by looking at this chart. I don’t know exactly what it was that I learned yet, but it was definitely something!

it's definitely giving me brain feelings, i am looking at the chart and things are happening up there

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Did hoot just find out about a years old TikTok meme? Old people are cringe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lmao my first ruler just died from croup or something at 55 and I went from controlling most of Ireland to just the southwest chunk, I wasn't prepared!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The real crusader kings starts here.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

died with croup

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

lmao my first ruler just died from croup or something at 55

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've only been able to play the tutorial races in F-Zero 99, and so far It's a lot of fun but it seems like they cranked the steering sensitivity up a few notches for the original

shyduck has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Sep 15, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wonder what useless feature paradox will add for hoi4.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
but, croup is still alive???

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The fact that there are miniguns but no way to craft ammo is criminal

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Xaris posted:

it's good to stop playing games when you're no longer having fun, otherwise you run the risk of becoming a Games poster

i feel if Outposts weren't entirely underbaked and bad, and if space movement/combat/trucking wasn't so limited, there'd be another 150+ hrs of building a Factorio/Satisfactory-lite and playing 6dof space combat. like it's clear they planned to have outposts be a lot more meaningful part of the game with setting up turrents and base defense and supply chains, but it's so loving bad and unfinished.

i know it probably wouldn't make a lot of sense but it'd be nice if outposts/base-building were also persistent instead of getting wiped.

There are jankass mods (mostly just console command poo poo) that lets you clumsily fly begween planets in a solar system without loading screens and even those are such a major improvement lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frosted Flake posted:

The fact that there are miniguns but no way to craft ammo is criminal

its really funny that the magstorm fires at 400 rpm but only takes ammunition that costs as much individually per bullet as any other magnum bullet

are array guns, weapons 2.0?????

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Al! posted:

its really funny that the magstorm fires at 400 rpm but only takes ammunition that costs as much individually per bullet as any other magnum bullet

are array guns, weapons 2.0?????

Yeah I don’t understand why you find boxes of 30 either. If they wanted ammo to be scarce, I guess they should have done more to make melee exciting and interesting, and probably done more to account for that in the setting.

Nothing screams “bullets are rare” in the hypermilitarized societies full of abandoned ammo depots 20 years after a great war.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

one of the best types of sniper rifle in the game uses the cheapest ammunition, bethesda are loving amazing at itemization

when modding tools come out or if the file structure is welll known, i'm going to make a personal weapon consistency patch like those jagged alliance 2 grog mods / the jsawyer mod for new vegas

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022
i didnt use much 7.77 ammo so i had ~3000 rounds at the end. i took the minigun into the last mission for giggles and got wrecked, little single digits popping up over starborn heads while my health chunked off

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I got sick of running out of random ammo types so at one point I dropped like 50k on ammo and haven’t thought about it since

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

pink noise posted:

i didnt use much 7.77 ammo so i had ~3000 rounds at the end. i took the minigun into the last mission for giggles and got wrecked, little single digits popping up over starborn heads while my health chunked off

Same as the Fallout 4 minigun experience then.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mean Baby posted:

the true bgs experience.

I think my #1 issue is with the way you traverse space. There is just something fundamentally unintuitive about it. I think it's specifically the multiple "layers" to the interface. Even though I technically understand how it works, I always have to remind myself what I need to do to travel to different places. "Okay I need to go to the missions and hit Set Course if it's a mission, and if I want to just explore a new planet/system I need to click/tab through multiple layers several times" etc

It makes it hard to just "kick back and relax" while playing, because I can't easily wrap my head around the "area" that I'm exploring. It would be one thing if I could access everything by just "running around in the world" like in Skyrim/whatever, or if there was a single "world map" that I could look at and understand, but all the layers/menus add too much abstraction. It doesn't take *much* mental power to deal with them, but it requires me to devote non-zero thought to something that ideally shouldn't require any thought.

It's not hard for me to imagine an easier-to-comprehend model of the space stuff, where you just have a single "world map" and can view the "contents" of each system without the awkward zooming in/out (which creates a disconnect that makes it harder for me to visualize the "world map" as a whole. I think part of the issue is that they wanted this stuff to look cool/fancy (partly to make up for the absence of actual space travel beyond the goofy "floating around in cube of space outside of a planet" stuff), which means they couldn't make it as easy/snappy as it could have been (because they wanted all the animations and fancy 3d models for systems/planets). The 120fps interface mod helps a ton, but it's still pretty slow even with that.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frosted Flake posted:

The abandoned transport floating in space with the power and gravity working intermittently is so cool, I wish they had done more like that. Unfortunately, I was partway through the Crimson Fleet storyline when I found it so the pirates aboard were all friendly. Still really cool use of environment.

I got one where the heat shields went out so everybody got cooked. It was peak "skeletons in bathtubs" Bethesda fiction. I loved it.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

you can also sell ammo you never use for big creds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So I had this happen and I’m wondering if it’s part of the electrical storm the lost treasure galleon is caught in on the last Crimson Fleet mission, or if Bethesda really has a bug where my guns straight up no longer work

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/166v19o/cant_fire_gun_anymore/

I’m pistol whipping robots and turrets because my melee weapon scaled weird or something and does hardly any damage