Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wonder how this affects the upcoming video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Pretty the video game is a big part of his making Fables public domain since his original agreement with DC didn't net him any residuals.

It's been a long time since I read through all of Fables wasn't there some kind of religious allegory or metaphor running through the whole series?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jiro posted:

Pretty the video game is a big part of his making Fables public domain since his original agreement with DC didn't net him any residuals.

It's been a long time since I read through all of Fables wasn't there some kind of religious allegory or metaphor running through the whole series?

Israel under siege.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah Bigby sneaks into the Adversary's lair just so he can threaten him by comparing Fabletown to a tiny but amazing country named Israel, which Bigby says he's a big fan of. The title of the issue is literally "The Israel Analogy".

Also Frau Totenkinder says that the reason she's stronger than Baba Yaga is that more people know her story but then it's implied that she's lying and she actually gets her power by doing a certain thing that Fables know to be a grotesque perversion of nature, which mundies have decided is okay it's implied she runs an abortion clinic

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Argue posted:

Yeah Bigby sneaks into the Adversary's lair just so he can threaten him by comparing Fabletown to a tiny but amazing country named Israel, which Bigby says he's a big fan of. The title of the issue is literally "The Israel Analogy".

Also Frau Totenkinder says that the reason she's stronger than Baba Yaga is that more people know her story but then it's implied that she's lying and she actually gets her power by doing a certain thing that Fables know to be a grotesque perversion of nature, which mundies have decided is okay it's implied she runs an abortion clinic

Okay..........it's been A REALLY long time since I read Fables holy poo poo. :stare:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Argue posted:

I still remember these.
Fables got weird. But then again, I can't tell if it was always weird.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, it was always weird.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I honestly thought that was great at the time, just because "I don't actually think abortion is wrong, but the forces of darkness are willing to slip me magical powers for doing it and they pay the same rates as they would for an actual infanticide, so until Hell gets woke I'm going to exploit the, uh, hell out of this."

It was always weird, though, just in terms of how many of the main characters are more than a little awful in a way that eventually leads you to realize that the author doesn't think of them as awful at all.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I honestly thought that was great at the time, just because "I don't actually think abortion is wrong, but the forces of darkness are willing to slip me magical powers for doing it and they pay the same rates as they would for an actual infanticide, so until Hell gets woke I'm going to exploit the, uh, hell out of this."

On its own that does make sense from a fae rules sorta perspective, and might be a neat idea in better hands, but the same scene also has Snow White explicitly talk about how it's immoral and how our world is wrong for normalizing it, which was the big red flag for me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Argue posted:

On its own that does make sense from a fae rules sorta perspective, and might be a neat idea in better hands, but the same scene also has Snow White explicitly talk about how it's immoral and how our world is wrong for normalizing it, which was the big red flag for me.
Snow White put her future mother-in-law in red hot iron shoes and made her dance until she died so I feel she may not exactly be the best person to speak on the topic of morality of any kind

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always forget that I thought Fables stopped at like 75 or so after dealing with Geppeto but the series kept on trucking and apparently Snow and Red went to war with each other or something but honestly people had completely stopped talking about the series so it was easy to forget about it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The ending of Fables is very bad, yes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
didn't it end, and then willingham went back and started again from a certain point to change it? so there's two completely different versions of chapter 80 or whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

didn't it end, and then willingham went back and started again from a certain point to change it? so there's two completely different versions of chapter 80 or whatever.
Fables: Last Order

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

I always forget that I thought Fables stopped at like 75 or so after dealing with Geppeto but the series kept on trucking and apparently Snow and Red went to war with each other or something but honestly people had completely stopped talking about the series so it was easy to forget about it.

The quality falls apart almost immediately after issue 75

Also man this upcoming Titans event is going to be a weird one even by modern DC event standards already seeing people being weirdos about Harley getting turned into a bunny She-Hulk over on /co/ and Twitter(both in the horny sense and the way people on either of those sites get when anything remotely furry exists)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yes and no--there was one ending some years ago, but a year or two ago, he restarted, picking up where it left off, no alternate timelines. The other ending you were thinking of is probably the crossover with Unwritten, which people said brought down Unwritten, although I felt it elevated Fables. It established an alternate timeline where Mister Dark won, and it frankly resulted in a much better ending and was just better written than what Fables had been putting out. It was never considered canon though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, thanks for clarifying. i certainly wasn't going to read fables to figure it out myself.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Could Knight Terrors just wrap up already?! Jeez.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

didn't it end, like, at the end of august?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Ah I'm on DC Ultra, so a month behind. Good to know.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

frameset posted:

Could Knight Terrors just wrap up already?! Jeez.

It's a nice two month break so you can catch up on other titles. Pretty thoughtful as events go.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Since Tom King stopped with Batman I've not read that or Detective. It's a big initimating number of issues to catch up and by all accounts not that great.

I mostly read the Superman titles, Action Comics has been brilliant since PKJ took over.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wonder Woman sure is a comic book

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Read the first 4 issues of Danger Street. What a miserable book

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
My Wonder Woman by Tom King review: It's Wonder Woman, written by Tom King

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Read the first 4 issues of Danger Street. What a miserable book

It's not as up It's own rear end as Killing Time, but it tries. The most recent issue does achieve it though and even tries for a second go.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
DC Comics: Tom King Hate Parade

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Yes

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Tom King's Wonder Woman: Amazon Hate Parade?
(I should go easier on him, I enjoyed Batman & Catwoman and The Human Target)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always know which Tom King book is good by the lack of goons here bitching about it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Madkal posted:

I always know which Tom King book is good by the lack of goons here bitching about it.
Which ones were good then?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Darth Nat posted:

Laughed out loud at the last page. drat comics are something special.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
No thoughts head empty just sitting here shakign and crying that King has re-canonized Amazons Attack

which
like.........how does that loving work in the current continuity :kiddo:

Aaaanyway I think I probably liked this? Which, with Tom King, is just as much of a warning as it is an endorsement. But there's just no denying that this is a much more polished WW story than any non-Historia books we've been getting.

The story is literally "Wonder Woman versus Trump's America" and is completely unsubtle about it. The issue is very openly, squarely focusing the character in modern political settings and political themes, which is something that either no writer had been interested in doing for a long time, or that DC just didn't allow anyone to do. And I think this is needed, a sorely-missed element of the character that will make this an interesting story to tell and to follow now more than ever.

I have no loving idea, however, if this is going to be a good story. It's a decent setup issue, at the least; the art is quite nice, though the narration hasn't impressed me too much. Much of the dialogue really makes it seem like all these characters, including Diana, just like the sound of their voices a little too much, constantly talking to fill the air with words.

This is going to be a nitpick, but I'm also a little worried about the patented King technique of coming up with a role first and then slotting whatever DC character he can get his hands on into that role whether or not it'll fit their actual character. A chunk of this issue is focused on Sarge Steel, and I'm not some Sarge Steel enthusiast by any means...like, I promise I could not care less about DC Comics character Sgt Steel...but I'm pretty sure that before now he wasn't some crazy jingoistic piece of poo poo who made quips as he shoots mothers in front of children. And it doesn't feel like we're supposed to think this is mind control or something, it's just...King needed a character being an scummy soldier character in this scene so that's what Steel is going to act like. Again, maybe it's a nitpick. But with a book like this, with a writer like King...benefits of the doubt just don't come very easily.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 19, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Which ones were good then?

I haven't heard describe Everlasting as the worst comic ever yet. Also this thread has been pretty quiet about the Batman/Catwoman comic so I will take that as an endorsement.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
As the book mentions, Sarge Steel holds a grudge for Amazons Attack (which is now once again in continuity).

His role in Amazons Attack was that he was the head of the Department of Metahuman Affairs (I think?) and Circe kidnapped him and replaced him with Everyman, a justly forgotten shapeshifter character.

Then posing as Sarge Steel, Everyman kidnapped Wonder Woman and was torturing her in order to get the secrets of THE PURPLE DEATH RAY as a false flag to convince the Amazons to invade the United States. After creating the false flag operation, Circe uses magic (and rogue Amazons) to escalate the war, before being stopped by Athena who banishes her to Hades and the Amazons withdraw and Sarge Steel is eventually rescued from where he was stashed to let the imposter Steel take his place.

Oh and also Athena was really Granny Goodness.

I *guess* this would all leave someone salty about the Amazons, but this legitimately feels like someone skimmed Amazons Attack and went "right, Sarge Steel is an rear end in a top hat who kidnaps and tortures Wonder Woman and tries to nuke Themyscira from orbit, right! Got it!" without actually reading far enough to see the imposter reveal.

I also liked the seemingly ADR'd addition of almost literally "oh right, I forgot to tell you, the government whipped up some really good super bullets to kill all the Amazons, don't worry about how."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

Just read it and hoo boy it sure is.

Edge & Christian posted:

I also liked the seemingly ADR'd addition of almost literally "oh right, I forgot to tell you, the government whipped up some really good super bullets to kill all the Amazons, don't worry about how."

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask for a while, is Wonder Woman bulletproof nowadays and if so when did that happen? I only ask because I know her signature thing has always been the whole blocking with the bracelets deal, but I've never been that into her solo titles, and I have read way more Justice League (and other teamup books) where she just tanks all sorts of poo poo and doesn't exactly bother blocking anything. Is it just a power creep thing like when she started flying without the invisible jet?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The story is literally "Wonder Woman versus Trump's America" and is completely unsubtle about it. The issue is very openly, squarely focusing the character in modern political settings and political themes, which is something that either no writer had been interested in doing for a long time, or that DC just didn't allow anyone to do. And I think this is needed, a sorely-missed element of the character that will make this an interesting story to tell and to follow now more than ever.

There were touches of it from the last run iirc, with Dr Psycho becoming a Right Wing commentator figure and it was unsubtle as hell, but it was revealed that he was just one prong of an attack by Hera to try and restore worship to the gods.

This is from last year:

From the sounds of it, King is going harder on some of those themes, but the issue is that he's about as subtle as a sidewinder missile. It'll have a bit of style and flourish to it, but it's likely to be overwrought and blatant as it shouts about how subtle and deep it is.

Also lol, Chip

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would actually hesitate to call the Dr. Psycho story "political" in the same way that the current one seems like it's going to be. It's like seeing The Mandalorian and thinking it's kinda political, and then watching Andor and being like oh wait actually that earlier thing really doesn't compare*. Like, Wonder Woman fighting cartoonish misogynists over milk is fun, but it's also kinda perfunctory and expected and different from Tom King going "Actually the United States has always been built on lies and endless war crimes, let's see some of them now!"

*This is obvs not me equating or comparing any of these things in terms of quality!

Really, Tom King writing a stealth sequel to Amazons Attack was definitely not on my predictions list.

TwoPair posted:

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask for a while, is Wonder Woman bulletproof nowadays and if so when did that happen? I only ask because I know her signature thing has always been the whole blocking with the bracelets deal, but I've never been that into her solo titles, and I have read way more Justice League (and other teamup books) where she just tanks all sorts of poo poo and doesn't exactly bother blocking anything. Is it just a power creep thing like when she started flying without the invisible jet?
The short answer is that it changes depending on writer.

Very broadly speaking, current WW should be very durable and heal very quickly, but not be outright invulnerable or bulletproof. But of course I say that and in a couple issues a bullet will in fact bounce off her. Some days she seems like Captain America. Other days she seems like Namor. In my headcanon she's settled to being around Spider-Man levels of durable, but I know it's very vague. At this point it's functionally that she'll be hurt if the story wants her to be hurt, but otherwise she won't be.

In the post-Crisis 90s, they tried to explain this away by saying she can be pierced by bullets and arrows and other piercing weapons, but can withstand blunt forces like Doomsday's fist. This makes as much sense as you want it to make and has mostly been ignored, but...it is an explanation, if you need one.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 20, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

King is trying to tell an X-Men storyline with Wonder Woman and amazons while the actual X-Men titles are telling the same story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like Danger Street, even if it's running a little long.