Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
How long does it take to get an invite after joining the waitlist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Popoto posted:

One last question: I haven’t seen much Mastodon hype here. Any reason why goons aren’t heading there/choosing it instead?

To me, it's the culture. Most of the servers I saw were full of people posting like they were on Linkedin or Facebook and frankly that's absolutely not my scene

And then there's the small problem of instance admins being able to read your DMs whenever they feel like it. Sure, Twitter moderators can do that as well, but a) they all got fired by now and b) if they do so, I get to sue them under the GDPR.

Vulpine Complex
Apr 13, 2007

Vulpine Complex posted:

I’ve got too many invite codes and now I’m passing the savings down to you!!

bsky-social-fsh3x-scy4️⃣6

bsky-social-f67vt-6️⃣y2ue

These are still available by the way!

RE: Mastodon

Mastodon is like if Twitter was a linux distro, complete with exactly the sort of community you'd imagine that would bring

Vulpine Complex fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 15, 2023

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Thanks! Took the first one - bsky-social-fsh3x-scy4️⃣6

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

armpit_enjoyer posted:

To me, it's the culture. Most of the servers I saw were full of people posting like they were on Linkedin or Facebook and frankly that's absolutely not my scene

Yeah that’s my issue with it. There’s nobody cool on there and it’s mostly a bunch of boring randos talking about stuff I’m not invested in. Bluesky at least has some interesting people I’d follow on Twitter and some good shitposting

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bluesky has a lot more poo poo posts, which was the only good thing about twitter too

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Vulpine Complex posted:

Mastodon is like if Twitter was a linux distro, complete with exactly the sort of community you'd imagine that would bring
Haha, I like this. That definitely matches my feeling on it; I made an account and logged in and looked around and I was stunned by how boring all the conversations I saw were. Now here I am a year later and I went to check it out and I was immediately struck by how the interface looks like Tweetdeck and just felt kind of nauseous and closed the tab

Edit: wow I apparently created my account in JULY OF THIS YEAR and it was so boring my sign-up day has continued moving farther back in my mind apparently

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
can everyone follow me and like my posts and be my internet buddies please. i will post pictures of my dog if that sweetens the pot

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

R.L. Stine posted:

can everyone follow me and like my posts and be my internet buddies please. i will post pictures of my dog if that sweetens the pot

yes what’s your thing if im not

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Sid Vicious posted:

yes what’s your thing if im not

it's too late. you are

i am @pisslover.bsky.social

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
A new code:

bsky-social-cnby2️⃣-hifrc

I'm at https://bsky.app/profile/akapseudonym.bsky.social

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 17, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mastodon just took existing open sourced social media code, slapped their branding on it and tried to coax people into joining through vague "we're not twitter" advertising.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
bsky-social-k5f5j-4kmfv

bsky-social-jsdtx-orwkg

bsky-social-aavsr-letcc

bsky-social-kadqu-5sgoj

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Twibbit posted:

You know how outlook and Gmail are owned by separate companies, and each have their own TOS they can enforce on their users. Yet they can still send emails to each other?

Replace email with tweets.

All these servers can talk with each other, they can also block each other. Mostly manifests as servers who hate Nazis blocking servers that either are OK with Nazis or just poo poo at moderating and banning them

Yeah the key difference between bluesky and mastodon is that Bluesky has a central service that acts as the basis to start out, whereas where you start your Mastodon experience is ??? based on ???? and huh????

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

super sweet best pal posted:

Mastodon just took existing open sourced social media code, slapped their branding on it and tried to coax people into joining through vague "we're not twitter" advertising.

Mastodon is all new code created by them (that they open sourced); but it was written to be compliant with open standards that previously existed at the time (the OStatus standard, now superceded by ActivityPub). It's like if you were to write your own email client -- the client itself is yours, but you're still following the networking protocols everyone else follows to send and receive mail.

Bluesky chose to make their own protocol instead of using ActivityPub, because ActivityPub has one major glaring flaw (you don't own your identity) that they wanted to correct.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 16, 2023

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
My first five minutes on Bsky had me encounter a bunch of people dunking on fascists, shitposting, and shitposting about dunking on fascists. It'll probably go to poo poo when it opens up, but for now it's a fun way to scroll for a couple of minutes, and most of the time I'll find at least something funny to share with my friends.

I don't know if I missed the boat or something but I really never found anything like that on Mastodon. It was very nice, and it had that vibe of being populated by LibreOffice and GIMP users, but it wasn't really very entertaining.

That said, if BS crashes and burns and the fun moves to Mastodon, I'll be on board.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Also, new folks, if you want your posts to show up on the GoonSky feed please click here:

Add yourself to the GoonSky feed

You can add the GoonSky feed to your feeds here

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Dang, someone already took my username. I haven't looked at their posts, but if they are some kind of hosed up racist, just know that it's not me.

WHAMMO!
Mar 7, 2015
Im a lurker on here but I post a lot on Bluesky

https://bsky.app/profile/big-cheese.bsky.social

2 invites:
bsky-social-w66lb-v4pvt
bsky-social-ikmja-4o6i6

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the information security community saw the writing on the wall this time last year and jumped ship almost completely wholesale over to Mastodon instances hosted by some of our luminaries

it's actually really drat nice on masto in this one case, but that's because the information is security practice is a very specific, niche thing where a lot of people already know each other or already know what they're looking for

it's not a replacement for the kind of early 2010s shitposting that bluesky enables

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

WHAMMO! posted:

2 invites:
bsky-social-w66lb-v4pvt
bsky-social-ikmja-4o6i6

i love your posting

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Still not taken
bsky-social-5q3vj-nikc3

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

WHAMMO! posted:

2 invites:
bsky-social-w66lb-v4pvt
bsky-social-ikmja-4o6i6

vouch, recommend following cheese

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Got a code from someone here, so passing one on.

bsky-social-7yozi-x🇦uwz

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Lucid Nonsense posted:

How long does it take to get an invite after joining the waitlist?

Took me several months, but what's funny is they still send you the code even if you've already made an account with someone else's code.

You can then gift that code to someone else.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

dont forget to follow me lmao just kidding arond

...unless? 😳

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Dang, someone already took my username. I haven't looked at their posts, but if they are some kind of hosed up racist, just know that it's not me.

Shot in the dark, but if you have a domain/website you can control the DNS for, you can use that as your handle.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Teratrain posted:

Shot in the dark, but if you have a domain/website you can control the DNS for, you can use that as your handle.

Can I use an NFT instead?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

here's some codes. bluesky sucks & i'm not giving them to anyone i know or care about so here ya go

bsky-social-24bnx-laus6
bsky-social-qcxkw-unci5
bsky-social-sqdzg-25dzq

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I maintain that i have the best custom handle in the thread on account of being the proud owner of girlcock dot gay

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

That sure is a snazzy domain indeed

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I maintain that i have the best custom handle in the thread on account of being the proud owner of girlcock dot gay

Honestly I'm pretty happy to own skeleton dot fyi, but yours is extremely good.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I never tweeted before this really. Did Twitter have this many macro shots of dude loads?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Maybe? Either way I never knew how big the online chunky nude men community was until joining bluesky.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

emSparkly posted:

Maybe? Either way I never knew how big the online chunky nude men community was until joining bluesky.

Yes you loving did lol

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Now someone can discover their magical new thing!

bsky-social-dnrqk-zs6ou

Don't forget to follow sid!
https://bsky.app/profile/sid.thesidsons.com/post/3k6qhki22b222

Jimlit fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 16, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Every now and then a dude will just post himself naked and include a Vulcan emoji so the TrekSky feed grabs it and please don't do that.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Atlas Hugged posted:

Every now and then a dude will just post himself naked and include a Vulcan emoji so the TrekSky feed grabs it and please don't do that.

there is a good morning bot that has been showing me a lot of peoples holes this morning

Explodingdice
Jun 28, 2023

One here:
bsky-social-2gzoi-y (six) ux4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sid Vicious posted:

there is a good morning bot that has been showing me a lot of peoples holes this morning

What? From what I can tell @goodmorningtoyou.bsky.social just replies to people posting "good morning" with nice pictures. Does it also auto-reskeet people?