Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is that the one where they thought tanning lotion was making them hairy but it turned out they were dogs who were turned into kids

thats the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Is that the one where they thought tanning lotion was making them hairy but it turned out they were dogs who were turned into kids

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the goosebump book that ends with the kids being revealed to be animatronics and their dad wasnt really their dad hosed me up

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I liked this one as a kid

I also really liked the CYOA ones because they had shiny foil covers and they were all in first person. It's like you're in the story!

Except there was one where I think you could end up on some kind of endless slide and that one gave me the willies. There was another where I think you get turned into a bat for a while?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

I also really liked the CYOA ones because they had shiny foil covers and they were all in first person. It's like you're in the story!

Except there was one where I think you could end up on some kind of endless slide and that one gave me the willies. There was another where I think you get turned into a bat for a while?

theres one where you are trapped in the mall and you put a shirt on and the shirt kills you by giving you a heart attack back to page 1 bitch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the goosebump book that ends with the kids being revealed to be animatronics and their dad wasnt really their dad hosed me up

That's Detroit: Become Human.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paladinus posted:

That's Detroit: Become Human.

I want to play this game again but make just the absolute worst choices for every character at every opportunity. Playing the maid robot like a psycho who abducts the little girl could make for an interesting playthrough

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres one where you are trapped in the mall and you put a shirt on and the shirt kills you by giving you a heart attack back to page 1 bitch

Lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I think that's the one that was branded as the hardest with only one actual non bad ending.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think that's the one that was branded as the hardest with only one actual non bad ending.

i believe you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Goosebumps were good, but strange matters were the hardcore kids horror

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
going to the flea markets as a kid and grabbing every battered goosebump book i could find many of which were spin offs (tales to give you goosebumps) because rl stine needed the money i read them all

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I wonder if RL Stine even remembers where all of those books came from. I want to see him make a full list of "wrote this," "ghostwriter," and "no fuckin' clue."

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I was afraid of the evil potato one with the evil sponge at the end

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I didn't read or watch any goosebumps as a kid because it scared the poo poo out of me!!!!! I'd just watch the intro and immediately turn the channel in fear

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Checking out what new Goosebumps were available is the only thing I remember looking for in those Scholastic Book Fair catalogs

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Return to Horrorland the goosebumps PC game was insanely epic.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
One that stuck out to me was Calling All Creeps where a dorky kid at his school falls in with the "creeps" who are other dorky kids at school but then he finds out that they're actually David Icke style lizard people who are plotting to seed the school bake sale's cookies with something to turn all the kids into creeps. The creeps think that the main character is also a creep and is actually their leader or something but once all the kids start turning he's like "ah well if you can't be worshipped for saving people you may as well be worshipped for ruling them" and then turns himself into a lizard too. Weird as hell

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

One that stuck out to me was Calling All Creeps where a dorky kid at his school falls in with the "creeps" who are other dorky kids at school but then he finds out that they're actually David Icke style lizard people who are plotting to seed the school bake sale's cookies with something to turn all the kids into creeps. The creeps think that the main character is also a creep and is actually their leader or something but once all the kids start turning he's like "ah well if you can't be worshipped for saving people you may as well be worshipped for ruling them" and then turns himself into a lizard too. Weird as hell

he's right

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Being a lizard person sounds epic

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Are You Afraid of the Dark? >>>>> Goosebumps

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Heath posted:

There was one that has you trapped in a maze forever, and represented this with two pages that each sent you to the other.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

going to the flea markets as a kid and grabbing every battered goosebump book i could find many of which were spin offs (tales to give you goosebumps) because rl stine needed the money i read them all

I loved going to the goodwill and salvation army and finding all sorts of goosebumps, hardy boys, animorphs, and the Bailey school kids.

My most treasured book when I was small was a copy of Barf-O-Rama book 1. These were written by K.A. Applegate under a pseudonym

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tweak posted:

Checking out what new Goosebumps were available is the only thing I remember looking for in those Scholastic Book Fair catalogs

There was so much good stuff in those. Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Redwall, Artemis Fowl, Animorphs, tons of other poo poo I've long forgotten

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Paladinus posted:

The TV show? Sure. The books? I'm afraid you'll have to step outside where I will summarily kick your rear end outside the band room

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Paladinus posted:

i remember this one where these bastards used some tone to control people and this deaf-mute girl saved the day

or the one where this kid finds a hidden pool in the school and some gross demon tries to drown u

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i remember thinking redwall was insanely badass and then my middle school librarian recommended me pern

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

or the one where this kid finds a hidden pool in the school and some gross demon tries to drown u

That's just the music video for Fantasy by DyE

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Heath posted:

The TV show? Sure. The books? I'm afraid you'll have to step outside where I will summarily kick your rear end outside the band room

The TV show, obviously. Reading books is for nerds.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Paladinus posted:

i used to be allowed to stay up late to watch ayaotd. made me the spooky bitch i am today

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Being a lizard person sounds epic

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What is the story, wishbone?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Paladinus posted:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Fajita Queen posted:

There was so much good stuff in those. Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, Redwall, Artemis Fowl, Animorphs, tons of other poo poo I've long forgotten

I remember getting hooked on a Star Wars D6 game as a kid in the 90s from the Scholastic catalogs, I think I still have one of the magazines that came with the gamebooks

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fajita Queen posted:

That's just the music video for Fantasy by DyE

:stonklol:

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Rags to Liches posted:

I remember getting hooked on a Star Wars D6 game as a kid in the 90s from the Scholastic catalogs, I think I still have one of the magazines that came with the gamebooks

Oh hell yes these rocked. They had a thing where stuff you did in one book would develop your character and help in future installments. Kinda like the Lone Wolf series of cyoa/tabletop mechanics books that also owned. I think a goon did a LP of those ages ago?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Ohtori Akio posted:

i remember thinking redwall was insanely badass and then my middle school librarian recommended me pern

tbh as a middle schooler I thought pern was badass. I just loved reading and was not particularly discerning about weird themes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I have read all 62 original run goosebumps books and I can't remember poo poo about them lol

I remember there were like 4 books about the loving dummy tho

Ohtori Akio posted:

redwall owned, but I haven't revisited it since high school lol. I hear the lsot couple of ones are pretty dire due to his declining health

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

nrook posted:

tbh as a middle schooler I thought pern was badass. I just loved reading and was not particularly discerning about weird themes

I'm pretty sure Pern is one of the fantasy series that has benefited the most from middle-schoolers who aren't great with themes, possibly second only to Xanth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

nrook posted:

same but the librarian should have been. or maybe she just clocked me hard lol