Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Femtosecond posted:

Two questions:
1) Does anyone have any favourite hip/boutiquey hotels (or hostels with private rooms) for a single traveller in Kyoto and Tokyo? Could help me kick start my search.

Not staying in Kyoto too long so spending a bit more money in Kyoto on some fancier place or some renovated Machiya apartment type place could be possible.

We absolutely loved the Dormy Inn Ekimae which has a hot spring bath, great staff, complimentary udon, ice cream, drinks (not all on the same night when we were there), etc. We paid less than a Motel 6 where I live, which is utterly mind-boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any info about the Tokyo Yosakoi dance festival in Ikebukuro? We want to go but the crowd size seems insane off the websites I was reading. Do we need to get there super early or just be prepared for the trains to be packed?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Anyone have any info about the Tokyo Yosakoi dance festival in Ikebukuro? We want to go but the crowd size seems insane off the websites I was reading. Do we need to get there super early or just be prepared for the trains to be packed?

I’m not sure it’s going to be a major difference to train traffic, given how big a hub Ikebukuro is anyways. The festival area might be crowded but should be fun, I’ve been to yosakoi elsewhere and it’s a good time.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Thanks. It has a bunch of restaurants in the area.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Two questions:
1) Does anyone have any favourite hip/boutiquey hotels (or hostels with private rooms) for a single traveller in Kyoto and Tokyo? Could help me kick start my search.

Depending on your budget... Sequence Miyashita Park. Tokyo Edition at Toranomon. Kimpton Shinjuku. Moxy Kinshicho. Shibuya Trunk Hotel. For a hostel, probably Nui in Kuramae.

For Kyoto, Nohga Hotel.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Looking for recommendations for the north of japan. We have about 5 days and a JR pass to get us around. Wouldn’t mind some leaf peeping and just a slower pace to end a long journey.

Dates would help: 10/26-10/30

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 16, 2023

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

Depending on your budget... Sequence Miyashita Park. Tokyo Edition at Toranomon. Kimpton Shinjuku. Moxy Kinshicho. Shibuya Trunk Hotel. For a hostel, probably Nui in Kuramae.

For Kyoto, Nohga Hotel.

whoa that hostel looks great. Or they just have a fantastic photographer. Even if I don't stay there looks like the area worth a stop to check in on.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
It didn't occur to me to ask if any friends who have been to Japan still have their Suica card. One does and it's within 10 years so it's still valid. I'll be using that next week because of the shortage.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
How strict are Japanese car rental agencies about international driving permits? I noticed today that mine is expired by ONE DAY. I’ve been plenty of places that “require” one but that don’t even ask. I suspect Japan is more strict about it, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Absolutely do not under any circumstances drive a car or even sit in the driver's seat of a stopped car in Japan if you do not have a valid license/permit.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
To clarify, I have a valid license. It’s just the supplementary AAA “international driver permit” document. They look like they’re made in a 5th grade arts and crafts class, and you can just order them online for $20.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

But feel free to crack open a bottle of tequila while riding shotgun

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smeef posted:

To clarify, I have a valid license. It’s just the supplementary AAA “international driver permit” document. They look like they’re made in a 5th grade arts and crafts class, and you can just order them online for $20.

One of my friends got to spend a few weeks in jail because he was on a tour, the van got stuck in a ditch, and he was steering the van while the guides pushed and the police showed up during that. He had a US license but no permit.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Smeef posted:

So the only thing you’re missing is the document that gives you the legal right to drive in Japan.

Yeah go for it buddy.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Will livestream my jail experience thx!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Smeef posted:

How strict are Japanese car rental agencies about international driving permits? I noticed today that mine is expired by ONE DAY. I’ve been plenty of places that “require” one but that don’t even ask. I suspect Japan is more strict about it, though.

Extremely. Most places will let you go with a home issued license but Japan is one of them that actually cares about the IDP. AAA will hook you up with a same day walk in if you're in the US.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Extremely. Most places will let you go with a home issued license but Japan is one of them that actually cares about the IDP. AAA will hook you up with a same day walk in if you're in the US.

Yeah, I just got mine and it was probably about 30mins max from when I arrived to when I had it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
If I arrive in a city in the morning, will the hotel allow me to leave my luggage there until I check in later in the day? Or does that not happen in Japan.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah they will.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sometimes they'll even bring your luggage to your room for you so it's there when you arrive. And yes they'll also keep your luggage after you check out, and seem to be generally okay with opening it and stuffing some more purchases into it, before you leave.

Also, if you're visiting multiple cities, I can definitely recommend using a courier service. (Yamato being the main player.) I had a huge suitcase full of purchases, sent from Tokyo to Kyoto with a delivery delay of 5 days. So while I was round seeing several more cities, they took care of that suitcase for me, and when I arrived in my room in Kyoto they had delivered it. A huge life saver.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If I arrive in a city in the morning, will the hotel allow me to leave my luggage there until I check in later in the day? Or does that not happen in Japan.

Yep. Most hotel check-in starts at 3 PM so I always drop off and come back later. Never been an issue.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm trying to make sense Of Universal Studios Japan

- I want to see Super Nintendo World
- I don't really like rollercoasters or anything scary like that.
- I know to go on a weekday to avoid the worst of the crowds.

Do I just show up early (before the official opening time) with a regular ticket to get the best possible chance to get a ticket to the Nintendo area? Or do I need an express pass?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most train stations also have coin lockers that can fit a backpack, even a suitcase. The good ones let you unlock/pay using a subway IC card.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Do I just show up early (before the official opening time) with a regular ticket to get the best possible chance to get a ticket to the Nintendo area? Or do I need an express pass?
I was equally confused and I’ll be there in about a month so can let you know for sure.

What I think happens is that you get in with a regular pass and on the day, you either queue up at Super Nintendo World or on the app you can get a free Area Timed Entry Ticket which lets you skip the queue to get in at a specific time.

If you buy an Express Pass, if any of your rides are in Super Nintendo World I think the pass also includes an area time for you to go straight in.

I’m pretty sure in both cases if you leave the area you have to queue like normal to be allowed back in, it’s only a one-off queue skip.

I’m also in the boat of not really being into rollercoasters and my partner just wants to see all the Nintendo theming so we’re going with the “show up and get the free pass on the day if we can” route.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

An express pass would definitely get you into it, if you get there early there's a chance you won't but you won't know until you're in the park area I think. If you don't care about entry time you can buy the pass through Klook. In order to get the time I wanted I had to use a VPN set to Japan and use my American express. Every other card was declined.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I guess i'll take my chances with the free pass then. Why does it have to be so complicated?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Have fun waiting for 5 hours.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I guess i'll take my chances with the free pass then. Why does it have to be so complicated?

125 million people + massive tourist industry in a country the size of California that loves fax machines.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a ton of loose 1 and 5 yen coins from previous trips. Is there anywhere at Narita airport that I can just dump them all in that gets exchanged or goes to charity or something? It’s not a substantial amount but it seems a waste to just have them sitting at home.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have a ton of loose 1 and 5 yen coins from previous trips. Is there anywhere at Narita airport that I can just dump them all in that gets exchanged or goes to charity or something? It’s not a substantial amount but it seems a waste to just have them sitting at home.

Learn to count to ten.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is no joy quite like going to 711 and buying an egg samich and paying for it in 1 yen coins.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I managed to self serve and pay for an egf and teryaki chicken sandwich with my pasmo drunk at 2am at a family mart one night and then couldn't work it out the following day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Put them in temple/shrine donation boxes.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

There is no joy quite like going to 711 and buying an egg samich and paying for it in 1 yen coins.

Also a joy to wait in line behind such people

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Use the self-checkout register.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Give the 5 yen coins to as many different gods as possible

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The best part about paying in Japan are machines that dont allow you to use more than X number of coins to pay. It's your money, accept it or dont print it

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm trying to figure out a train from Shinjuku to our ryokan in Hakone and want someone to check my work.

We'd be leaving from Shinjuku Station and want to get to Hakone Airu (the ryokan). I'm thinking we'd leave around 8:30am on 9/26. We have a JR Pass.

On Hyperdia I put in Shinjuku and Odawara since it looks like you can just use station names. I changed it to order by transfers. The first option says to take the JR Yamanote Line to Shinagawa and then the Shinkansen Kodama to Odawara. Doesn't provide info on getting to the hotel. The second options is 8 minutes slower and is the JR Chuo Line to Tokyo Station and then the Shinkansen Kodama.

In the Navitime app I put in our hotels for the full route. It had that JR Chuo option but not the Yamanote one.

It seems like either of those work. Is there one site to use over another? Once I'm in Japan I'll only have a phone/ipad. Big question is, how do I actually buy these to reserve seats?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

KingKapalone posted:

I'm trying to figure out a train from Shinjuku to our ryokan in Hakone and want someone to check my work.

We'd be leaving from Shinjuku Station and want to get to Hakone Airu (the ryokan). I'm thinking we'd leave around 8:30am on 9/26. We have a JR Pass.

On Hyperdia I put in Shinjuku and Odawara since it looks like you can just use station names. I changed it to order by transfers. The first option says to take the JR Yamanote Line to Shinagawa and then the Shinkansen Kodama to Odawara. Doesn't provide info on getting to the hotel. The second options is 8 minutes slower and is the JR Chuo Line to Tokyo Station and then the Shinkansen Kodama.

In the Navitime app I put in our hotels for the full route. It had that JR Chuo option but not the Yamanote one.

It seems like either of those work. Is there one site to use over another? Once I'm in Japan I'll only have a phone/ipad. Big question is, how do I actually buy these to reserve seats?

Take the romance car from Shinjuku to Hakone-Yumoto and walk for 15 minutes.

This took me 5 seconds to figure out on google maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
That doesn't use our JR Pass so I'd like to use that.