Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Probably the weirdest food theft experience for me was car camping way the gently caress out in death valley, like hours of 5mph dirt road driving, and thinking it was good enough to stick the cooler under my brother in law's jeep such that the lid couldn't open... wild burros pushed it out in the night, got the lid open, and chomped all our cheese. They left the habañero cheese on the ground a few feet away with a very donkey tooth looking bite in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

alnilam posted:

They left the habañero cheese on the ground a few feet away with a very donkey tooth looking bite in it.

Haha burnt their lil tongues out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

alnilam posted:

Probably the weirdest food theft experience for me was car camping way the gently caress out in death valley, like hours of 5mph dirt road driving, and thinking it was good enough to stick the cooler under my brother in law's jeep such that the lid couldn't open... wild burros pushed it out in the night, got the lid open, and chomped all our cheese. They left the habañero cheese on the ground a few feet away with a very donkey tooth looking bite in it.

This is loving hilarious. I knew burros were smart but drat, they earned your cheese.

alnilam posted:

One of my good friends has holes in her pack with exactly the same story, she was summiting mt whitney and she could actually see them biting into her pack from way above but couldn't do anything about it lol
Would hanging the bag have helped or can the little fuckers climb and/or know to chew through cord too

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shoulder season comes at you fast.

(mt evans wilderness this morning, which I guess congress now has get off their butt and rename to the blue sky wilderness)

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
one proposal was to rename it after evans' wife, lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

What slave owner/Native American butcher was it named after

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

What slave owner/Native American butcher was it named after

Evans

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ty

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Stolen straight from wikipedia

quote:

Mount Evans was named after territorial Governor John Evans, instigator of the Sand Creek Massacre, which resulted in the death of between 150 and 500 Cheyenne and Arapaho Native Americans, most of whom were elderly, women, and children.

Ironically enough I was also there last weekend

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I made a mistake on today's hike. On a narrow section of trail, a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake was chilling across the width of the trail. Mrs. rear end Trophy and I waited a few minutes, and then rolled a few pebbles at it from a safe distance. The snake was facing the left edge of the trail, but made a U-turn and went into the brush on the right. We waited a few more minutes, then went as far to left as possible and continued past where the snake had been. In fact, we stepped off the dirt trail and walked on some of the dried plants along the edge. Just as I was thinking this is not a good place to walk, the unseen second rattlesnake to our left made itself known with some serious rattling. I nearly pissed my pance and we ran the hell down the trail.

Sorry snakes, I think we spoiled your rendezvous. Thanks for not biting us.

Fake edit: I love snakes. It makes my day when I see one. Even those angry looking Pacific rattlers.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I made a mistake on today's hike. On a narrow section of trail, a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake was chilling across the width of the trail. Mrs. rear end Trophy and I waited a few minutes, and then rolled a few pebbles at it from a safe distance. The snake was facing the left edge of the trail, but made a U-turn and went into the brush on the right. We waited a few more minutes, then went as far to left as possible and continued past where the snake had been. In fact, we stepped off the dirt trail and walked on some of the dried plants along the edge. Just as I was thinking this is not a good place to walk, the unseen second rattlesnake to our left made itself known with some serious rattling. I nearly pissed my pance and we ran the hell down the trail.

Fake edit: I love snakes. It makes my day when I see one. Even those angry looking Pacific rattlers.

The one time I accidentally disturbed a hidden rattlesnake, I was genuinely amazed by how quickly I moved without even thinking. It definitely triggered something deep and primal in my monkey brain and I hauled rear end before even processing why.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Out here in SE PA there's a spot about 30 feet off a popular rocky ridge trail that timber rattlers have used as a den for several years now. If the weather is right they are often sunning themselves along with snakelets. I love seeing them, but also enjoy pointing them out to other people.

"Hey you guys want to see some rattlesnakes?" is a surefire way to get at least half of a group to jump and look around with immediate animal panic, so I no longer ask people while they are scrambling around on rocks.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Not sure I'd recover from this haha. I'd rather encounter 1000 black bears than one rattler. They just weird me out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went through a WFA course this weekend and man I was taught so much and now I realize how little I know.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I went through a WFA course this weekend and man I was taught so much and now I realize how little I know.

What outfit did you go with? I’ve been meaning to take one since forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

waffle enthusiast posted:

What outfit did you go with? I’ve been meaning to take one since forever.

It's one organized by a local hiking club we joined, they contract with Backcountry Pulse for educators and making sure everything fits the standards. They in turn work to implement the Wilderness Medical Society's standards who I guess are big dogs in this field.

I don't know much about the details but my wife, a DNP, was satisfied with the accreditation so I'll accept that as sufficient.

The class went really fast, it was 16 hours and felt like not enough. The biggest downside is the amount of stuff I feel obligated to carry on all hikes now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I went on a late afternoon/evening solo hike today and scared up about a half dozen ruffed grouse along the way which is always a fun surprise when you're getting into golden hour, the last person in the trail, and on alert. I think I might have scared up a deer, bear, or elk at the parking lot because I heard something big crash through the trees quickly when I shut my door.

I passed a half dozen people coming out. I got up to the peak and then decided to go down to the lake. I was there alone for about an hour. I setup my helinox chair, ate my homemade jerky and watched the sun set over the mountain. It cooled off a lot. 70 when I started and I would bet 55 by the lake. It was fantastic.

On the way down from the hike, no joke, I took a step and there was a broken dried tree root aimed straight up at my stepping foot that looked like a rattle snake head. Now, I live in Seattle and mostly hike on the west side of the cascades. There's virtually no risk of rattle snakes over here (maybe further south near Vancouver WA), in central/eastern Washington 100%. I hate snakes but have mitigated my fear knowing that the ones I see most of the time aren't venomous. I'm honestly not sure how I would react to seeing a venomous snake in person. I'm outside all the time but thankfully in Washington I don't see many.

Regardless the split second glimpse I got of it made me magically levitate and defy gravity because despite my weight going towards that downhill stepping foot, I caught my step mid air and pivoted sideways and got a huge surge of adrenaline before realizing it was a root. My brain couldn't even process that it wasn't even feasible but went full lizard brain "oh poo poo!" I must have looked like one of those hip hop dancers slow motion pivot move on one foot.

I laughed so hard when I saw it was just a root. I was also grateful that my body didn't give in and poo poo myself.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yesterday I was originally going to try for Missouri Mountain but it looked like enough snow that it might have given me problems. Pretty sure I would have been fine, so instead I went left at the fork and did a double of Mt Belford and Oxford.

5700 feet of climbing in total thanks to the descents and re-ascents. No snakes to be seen, just a few goats chilling on a ridge a distance away.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Man that looks like paradise.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

xzzy posted:

It's one organized by a local hiking club we joined, they contract with Backcountry Pulse for educators and making sure everything fits the standards. They in turn work to implement the Wilderness Medical Society's standards who I guess are big dogs in this field.

I don't know much about the details but my wife, a DNP, was satisfied with the accreditation so I'll accept that as sufficient.

The class went really fast, it was 16 hours and felt like not enough. The biggest downside is the amount of stuff I feel obligated to carry on all hikes now.

Nice. I took a course many many years ago and among the things I should have retained, I want to learn how to use athletic tape to bandage up a sprained ankle. All I remember is that it was complicated :smith:

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My dad drove out to visit and we went out to Wild Basin to go see the Ouzel Falls and the Ouzel Lake.

Someone mentioned Wild Basin a while back and it was definitely a good call. Some great trails when you aren't feeling like wrecking yourself with thousands of feet of elevation. Also we almost missed the falls entirely. It's not visible from the main trail so you have to follow a side trail up a few hundred feet. Caught it on the way back down.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Hotel Kpro posted:

My dad drove out to visit and we went out to Wild Basin to go see the Ouzel Falls and the Ouzel Lake.

Someone mentioned Wild Basin a while back and it was definitely a good call. Some great trails when you aren't feeling like wrecking yourself with thousands of feet of elevation. Also we almost missed the falls entirely. It's not visible from the main trail so you have to follow a side trail up a few hundred feet. Caught it on the way back down.

Might have been me. It's a great part of the park, not super busy and great scenery. The trail isn't too bad in terms of gain. I don't suggest trying to do it the first day you arrive from sea level.

If you're up for it, thunder lake is great but scramble up to boulder grand pass to the Continental divide for a great view of both sides of the park.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did a night up at Mt. Laguna with my 2.5yo as his first camping experience. Overall it went really well for it being a boy's night, just got a bit colder than I expected. I made a list of "Remember this for next time" since taking a toddler solo makes it a lot different.

Since it was successful the next idea is to take him and the wife down around Borrego Springs this winter with the bigger tent and let the boy experience the desert for the first time.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

xzzy posted:

shoulder season comes at you fast.

(mt evans wilderness this morning, which I guess congress now has get off their butt and rename to the blue sky wilderness)

At least they picked a good name for it.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

The Aardvark posted:

Did a night up at Mt. Laguna with my 2.5yo as his first camping experience. Overall it went really well for it being a boy's night, just got a bit colder than I expected. I made a list of "Remember this for next time" since taking a toddler solo makes it a lot different.

Since it was successful the next idea is to take him and the wife down around Borrego Springs this winter with the bigger tent and let the boy experience the desert for the first time.

I've got a 4 year old daughter that I'm planning on taking out for her first time. Just about a mile walk to a lake. Any must haves that you recommend?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm doing the presi traverse tomorrow starting at 8, and I'm just curious if I'm being realistic to assume I can make it to the Mizpah hut in time for dinner at 6? Weather looks about as good as it gets and it's not my first time here.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That looks to be like 14 miles and a few thousand feet of elevation? If you're fit and don't take many breaks you'll probably be alright. It's an average speed of 1.4 mph, so maybe 40 something minutes per mile. With that much elevation gain... doable but you'll be tired

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Ulesi posted:

I've got a 4 year old daughter that I'm planning on taking out for her first time. Just about a mile walk to a lake. Any must haves that you recommend?

Glow sticks. Took my boys camping around that age, cooking over a fire seems to be a highlight as well.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Ulesi posted:

Probably something to do in the tent when it gets dark. I figured he'd be tired from riding his bike and running around, so I brought my 3p backpacking tent instead of the car camping tent since it was just the two of us and much easier to set up and watch the toddler by myself.

We ended up watching Peppa Pig for like two hours until he crashed.

I also had zero expectations or plans I wanted to do just in case he really hated it and we had to do the 40 minute drive home.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I hadn't really planned on doing two mountains in one day, but yesterday I got an early enough start on Mt Harvard that I figured if I could summit before 10 I would make the lengthy trek to Mt Columbia. It was pretty and the leaves were changing where possible

I looked up the route I needed to take. It had some trail and then a scramble across a boulder field with some cairns every so often to help out anyone adventurous enough to try. The trail lulls you in with an easy route before turning up the suck. Much like a signed contract once you're in there's no easy way out. I want to say it was 1700 feet of elevation loss and I had to gain 1300 feet to escape over the top of Columbia

I wasn't alone, there was a woman who was also at it and another guy and between the three of us we formed an impromptu group and picked our route through the rocks. I dunno if it was from trying to keep up with them because the girl was crazy fast and the guy wasn't far behind but trying to climb up the last stretch was a nightmare. We split up and I struggled a ton, either from the altitude, not drinking enough, or not eating enough. After dropping altitude, drinking more, and eating some food I was good to go. Good timing too since the weather was looking suspect

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Sunday's goal was to hit up San Ysidro mountain, the Thimble, and White BM for the first desert hike of the season. Ended up only getting White BM due to weather.

Thimble on the left. Got up to the last ~30ft but too wet to scramble up to the top.

San Ysidro is ~600ft up and 0.75 miles into this boulder field so we decided to go home.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

It's finals day for Fat Bear Week '23 and it's been a solid one. Personally I think 128 Grazer has it in the bag. She's done very well for herself this summer

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Random question about altitude… I’m going on a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon soon and considering it’s at 7K feet and I’m at sea level… Would it be better to stay a medium level (say 4-5k feet) then stay at 7K south rim? Or just stay at 7k for the two nights? I just want to make sure I don’t have any altitude issues down there.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

liz posted:

Random question about altitude… I’m going on a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon soon and considering it’s at 7K feet and I’m at sea level… Would it be better to stay a medium level (say 4-5k feet) then stay at 7K south rim? Or just stay at 7k for the two nights? I just want to make sure I don’t have any altitude issues down there.

You will likely be a little bit slower than usual at 7k feet but it's not high enough to be dramatic. I wouldn't worry about it, and 4-5k feet isn't high enough to make any kind of acclimation happen anyways.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you have an extra night or two before the backpacking trip, spending them at 7k will be better than something intermediate. The bigger thing is not having a mega strenuous day on your first day at elevation.

And 7k might hit you weird but it's not gonna be like people on everest struggling to breathe. You might get tired more easily, you might feel nauseous or like you're getting a cold, or if you're like me you might have a killer day and suddenly feel like poo poo as you settle down for dinner. It affects everyone differently.

Drink lots of water! (Always good advice anyway)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

liz posted:

7k is pretty marginal for when the onset of altitude sickness sets in, so you may not notice it at all. If you do require any acclimitazation, staying at 7k for 1-2 nights would be fine. I don't think there is any value in trying to stay at an intermediate altitude. For one, your hemoglobin saturation is got going to change much until you get above 6000 or so feet, and second, there are no downsides to acclimatizing at 7k.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Staying at 7k will be fine, and if you do need to adjust it will happen quickly. Data I've seen and my own anecdotal experience both suggest lowlanders in good health don't usually notice until 8-10.

Hike/climb high and sleep low is a good principle, but not really needed until you're going to ascend quite a bit higher.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Last week I went out for what I thought might be the last time this year since a storm was heading our way to climb Colorado's second tallest mountain, Mt Massive. It stands 14429 feet tall, a mere 11 feet shorter than it's neighbor Mt Elbert. The wind was absolutely fierce in the morning and really made me question if I wanted to brave the summit ridge. There was a long stretch above the tree line that was exposed and grinded me and the other hikers out there down. Here it is on the right with South Massive on the left. I ended up doing both, was an A+ decision cause the views of the south side of the range were way better.

Looking west at nothing

Looking east down at Leadville

Looking south, Mt Elbert is on the left

Despite how cold it was that morning, by the time I got back to the truck it was real warm. Had to shed all the layers I had brought

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BLM camping giveth and BLM land taketh, roll into a nice campsite in the Utah badlands for some sleep and a couple hours later five RV's roll in and some producer warns me that Thule is doing a product shoot here in the morning.

Didn't even offer me snacks from their food truck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Part of shooting on BLM land is that they have to put up with assholes in the background of their shots. This is your time to shine!