Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Trickortreat posted:

It was just a standard run of the mill it was nice to talk with you and blah blah blah. I'm just baffled because even with successful job interviews I've never had someone actually reply. I just want to make sure I do the right things I've just wrapped up stage 3 of the interview process with this person's superior.

You don't need to reply.

I'd probably shoot off a "Great talking to you too!" to come off as friendly but I don't think this is a test or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Trickortreat posted:

It was just a standard run of the mill it was nice to talk with you and blah blah blah. I'm just baffled because even with successful job interviews I've never had someone actually reply. I just want to make sure I do the right things I've just wrapped up stage 3 of the interview process with this person's superior.

I've had it happen. I did not reply.

If you say thank you, and they say you're welcome, you don't say thanks for youre welcoming me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Trickortreat posted:

Had a rather bizarre interview where the CEO kept feeding me one question after another rapid fire style until we were at time. Near the end, he asked me to provide feedback on this interview process and give something that's going well and something that isn't. I just mentioned I wish the interview time had been longer, but any idea how to tackle that one differently? The guy seemed completely unhinged so I'm not sure if the question itself will come up again but I was just curious.

Although not my preferred style this description of interviewing doesn’t seem bizarre to me. It’s just one of the styles.

As for interview feedback if it was well enough I’d say it was fine, applying was easy, wish it’d been longer if you had more questions. Overall seems fine.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Feeling pretty discouraged in this job market. Graduated from a top 20 MBA program in June and haven't even had a single interview. Pretty confident in the quality of my resume considering it's been through my programs career center multiple times.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to stand out when every job I'm fully qualified for has like 700 applicants. Lots of my classmates are in the same boat with 0 luck finding a job since graduation.

I go to networking events and it doesn't seem like anyone is hiring, just lots of "good luck in this job market!" from the employed folks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mustang posted:

Feeling pretty discouraged in this job market. Graduated from a top 20 MBA program in June and haven't even had a single interview. Pretty confident in the quality of my resume considering it's been through my programs career center multiple times.

I just don't know how I'm supposed to stand out when every job I'm fully qualified for has like 700 applicants. Lots of my classmates are in the same boat with 0 luck finding a job since graduation.

I go to networking events and it doesn't seem like anyone is hiring, just lots of "good luck in this job market!" from the employed folks.

Do you have previous experience germane to the MBA or did you just kinda go for it?

If it's the latter you probably need to start a lot more entry level than you think and then leverage the MBA to advance up quickly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I spent 5 years as an Army officer mostly in logistics/finance roles, including government contracts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What did you do during the summer, assuming you were FT?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Studied abroad in Berlin, I also got a "Global Business Certificate" from my program. Mostly just because I find travel fun and interesting, I'd like a globally focussed role but not interested in moving from Seattle.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

And I do actually get several interview/job offers every week, but none in Seattle and all in other states. But Seattle is my home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm gonna Monday morning quarterback you, which is going to suck but: you should have worked a relevant internship during the summer with an eye towards getting an offer from that company and building your network in a city with relevant companies and jobs. Even if you didn't get an offer, you would still have more relevant work experience in the private sector to buoy your resume. The fact that you just did school post-Army is not positive.

You will need to start pretty close to entry level. Good news is you should be able to clobber other entry level candidates since you have proven you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

edit: if you want to just be in one place, you need to network hard and focus on that place.

edit2: I'm pretty confused because your OP was "I'm not getting interviews" and now you're saying "I am getting interviews and offers but not in the specific market I want." If you are dead-set on Seattle, why are you expending all this effort interviewing elsewhere?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 15, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm gonna Monday morning quarterback you, which is going to suck but: you should have worked a relevant internship during the summer with an eye towards getting an offer from that company and building your network in a city with relevant companies and jobs. Even if you didn't get an offer, you would still have more relevant work experience in the private sector to buoy your resume. The fact that you just did school post-Army is not positive.

You will need to start pretty close to entry level. Good news is you should be able to clobber other entry level candidates since you have proven you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

edit: if you want to just be in one place, you need to network hard and focus on that place.

This is advice is 135 words and is worth like about 30% of an MBA.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

And I do actually get several interview/job offers every week, but none in Seattle and all in other states. But Seattle is my home.

finance experience, veterans' preference, and a MBA? cmon mustang, you know that usajobs.gov is calling you. many jobs are even remote!

we have a fed jobs thread in bfc too. then again ignore if working for the govt again would rightfully drive you nuts

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm honestly not completely opposed to it, just hadn't considered it because I do fully living in a state with legal weed.

I have been applying to state and city government jobs though.

Kind of discouraging to need to look at more entry level jobs considering the scale of the programs and projects I worked on in the Army, especially since 4 of my 5 years were in positions slated for higher ranking officers. The duties and responsibilities for more entry level jobs look boring in comparison.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You have a lot of accelerants for your fire but not enough fuel. The army experience is great, and it will serve you super well, but it's fundamentally different than most corporate environments and people aren't really going to want to bring you into high level jobs and also teach you basics you haven't had to deal with before. MBA is the same thing, it's not terribly useful without on the ground experience, but when you get that then your MBA will shine better.

Even getting a couple years as a business analyst or something will open a lot of doors. You take a job like that, you goose up the description, then you leave for higher up.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At least when/where I did my MBA there was a strong vet pipeline through targeted programs and alumni network who would look out for each other. Especially logistics and finance.

Might be a little late having graduated but could still tap into those with some LinkedIn leg work and maybe reaching back out to your school's career org.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
all my work experience, bar one internship and a government role i signed an nda for, is in retail and i don't want to work in retail anymore. will i have to bite the bullet and do unpaid volunteering to get a smidgen of experience?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

w4ddl3d33 posted:

all my work experience, bar one internship and a government role i signed an nda for, is in retail and i don't want to work in retail anymore. will i have to bite the bullet and do unpaid volunteering to get a smidgen of experience?

Depends a lot on what you want to do and what qualifications you have to do it. Generally unpaid internships are not, like, a very good path for anybody, but its kinda hard to say because there's a lot of career paths out there.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Lockback posted:

Depends a lot on what you want to do and what qualifications you have to do it. Generally unpaid internships are not, like, a very good path for anybody, but its kinda hard to say because there's a lot of career paths out there.

eventually i want to go into academia, but i can't afford to rn, so i'm looking at more corporate roles - marketing, seo, copywriting, hr

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

w4ddl3d33 posted:

1) how broad/narrow is the nda? Can you say “delivered projects with X budget in Y field (IT, research, etc) or can you not even say “I worked for the federal widget inspection bureau”? Because there’s a lot you can still say even if you can’t talk substance.

2) You’ve worked retail. You’re not gonna walk into anything super high level, but back end customer satisfaction teams, basic IT, etc are all natural next steps depending on the field and interest.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

1) how broad/narrow is the nda? Can you say “delivered projects with X budget in Y field (IT, research, etc) or can you not even say “I worked for the federal widget inspection bureau”? Because there’s a lot you can still say even if you can’t talk substance.

2) You’ve worked retail. You’re not gonna walk into anything super high level, but back end customer satisfaction teams, basic IT, etc are all natural next steps depending on the field and interest.

my parents signed it on my behalf, i was acting as both a member of a focus group and a consultant for an it-related project that has since run its course

i just want to earn more money i would work as a poo poo Shoveler in the Dookie Factory if i could get a little more cash in

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I doubt that NDA means you can't disclose anything about the work.

I worked in DC at one point adjacent to a lot of people doing varying degrees of NDA/classified/secret squirrel poo poo and there are absolutely ways to highlight what you worked on in some capacity without breaching whatever agreements you have. Typically you must work with your contracting entity to have them review what you have written about the work if it's highly restricted.

Since your parents signed the NDA on your behalf I doubt it was so serious to warrant all this concern. Were you a minor?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Had my first experience on the other side of the table. A nonideal resume was shuffled to my team after a few months of waiting on a good fit, and we conducted a prescreener just to see if maybe there was something there. There was not, but I want to share the fruit of the experience here. A few interviewing and resume tips:

- Do not submit a 5+ page long resume if you have worked for a single company the whole time. Different projects under the same employer do not deserve comprehensive embellishment if you’re not in academia. If you decide to do this anyway, make clear that you are not simply hopping jobs every 6-18 months.

- Do not claim you have expertise in a software if you only review the output of the software that someone else created, or just know the name of the software. It is very easy to figure out your experience threshold if your interviewer uses that software.

- When asked what you contributed to a project, creating context by describing the project scope is great. Failing to communicate what you actually did after repeated prompting is not. STAR method is your friend.

- When asked why you applied to a position, “I heard you pay well” is probably not your best bet (but is refreshingly straightforward)

- Under no circumstance should you apologize for not being prepared for an interview, during your interview.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Not a Children posted:

- Under no circumstance should you apologize for not being prepared for an interview, during your interview.
I pulled an interesting move in an interview I had last week for a job I don't really care about due to the terrible pay rate. They asked what I knew of the company and I told them that prior to getting approached by the recruiter I'd never heard of them, and it might be something to do with the three rebrands they've had in ten years of operation.

I await the recruiter's feedback with interest.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Not a Children posted:

- When asked why you applied to a position, “I heard you pay well” is probably not your best bet (but is refreshingly straightforward)

This is a "hate the game; not the player" situation but it's kind of silly that ruthlessly profit driven corporations are aghast when a candidate admits they're in it for the money.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

wash bucket posted:

This is a "hate the game; not the player" situation but it's kind of silly that ruthlessly profit driven corporations are aghast when a candidate admits they're in it for the money.
They want to kerbstomp you, not play against someone who knows the rules and plays the way they do.

Arquinsiel posted:

I pulled an interesting move in an interview I had last week for a job I don't really care about due to the terrible pay rate. They asked what I knew of the company and I told them that prior to getting approached by the recruiter I'd never heard of them, and it might be something to do with the three rebrands they've had in ten years of operation.

Followup, they're not going forward with my application for a completely different reason. Conveniently the one that made me not care about the role in the first place. Win!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I think that's ok, especially if you can then share your thoughts due to looking into them.

This is if you care about the job, if you don't then w/e.

wash bucket posted:

The Veneer is important, and someone who is not able to understand how to put on a basic front of "Money isn't my only motivation" probably won't be able to do things like "Don't talk down to clients you think are idiots" or " Hide how annoyed you are with the VP who controls your teams budget".

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Lockback posted:

I think that's ok, especially if you can then share your thoughts due to looking into them.

This is if you care about the job, if you don't then w/e.

The Veneer is important, and someone who is not able to understand how to put on a basic front of "Money isn't my only motivation" probably won't be able to do things like "Don't talk down to clients you think are idiots" or " Hide how annoyed you are with the VP who controls your teams budget".

I get this, but lmao at "a worker was rude to me so now I'll strangle my entire IT departments budget out of spite this will never come back to bite me in the rear end."
Capitalists just bending over backwards to kayfabe cutting their own throats. Metaphorically.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Organic Lube User posted:

I get this, but lmao at "a worker was rude to me so now I'll strangle my entire IT departments budget out of spite this will never come back to bite me in the rear end."
Capitalists just bending over backwards to kayfabe cutting their own throats. Metaphorically.
Okay but you get promoted due to your cost savings and then your successor takes it in the neck when it fails because it worked fine when you were there, right?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Okay but you get promoted due to your cost savings and then your successor takes it in the neck when it fails because it worked fine when you were there, right?

working_as_intended.exe

I shudder to think of what it would look like if you had a company where every worker was able to work towards a common goal for the good of the company. You'd have a bunch of communists.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 18, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Organic Lube User posted:

I have absolutely seen people's personal opinions of a team impact requests like travel, extraordinary raises, "Can we use this extra budget to hired ahead of attrition so we don't have to all work OT when someone leaves", etc. Politics gets really important at that level.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Lockback posted:

This is the truth of the matter, at least in the case I was citing. Our role faces internal stakeholders at all levels and being able to blow smoke is unfortunately sometimes important to leaving a meeting with everyone happy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What is this mythical "meeting that ends with everyone happy" creature you speak of?

My long experience has been that a successful meeting is either a meeting that ends with everyone roughly the same level of unhappy, or a meeting that ends with whoever I currently regard as The Good Guys happy and The Bad Guys pissed off. Mostly the former.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't have to be just veneer. "I want to be a doctor because doctors make fat stacks" vs "I want to be a doctor because I want to help the sick, and make fat stacks"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

What is this mythical "meeting that ends with everyone happy" creature you speak of?

My long experience has been that a successful meeting is either a meeting that ends with everyone roughly the same level of unhappy, or a meeting that ends with whoever I currently regard as The Good Guys happy and The Bad Guys pissed off. Mostly the former.

Helps when you’re doing work for them as an internal designer and saving them roughly 50-75% over typical cost unless something goes incredibly sideways. If they hate us or our dept they still gotta play nice or next time they might get deprioritized and have to farm it out to consultantland

Epitope posted:

It doesn't have to be just veneer. "I want to be a doctor because doctors make fat stacks" vs "I want to be a doctor because I want to help the sick, and make fat stacks"

See if he had done anything like this we’d all have had a hearty laugh, but he just flopped out with it

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Wondering if I could get some help on a cover letter? It kind of needs to be pretty drat good, because
1) I have absolutely 0 experience in the role I'm applying for. But they DID say they'd take people with little to no experience and train them if they still have a decent enough background in related items, so I need to highlight that in a way a resume might not be able.
2) They made a specific point in their online application that resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. So...yeah, they really want that CL.

I just despite making CL's because I don't know how to NOT make them sound like a middle schooler wrote them, you know?

"Dear Company,
I love you, you are amazing, and I always wanted a career with you.
I am a good candidate because I know the stuff you said you wanted people to know.
In conclusion, hire me today for a good time."

My background currently is in IT, but I have a traditional engineering degree, and I'm applying for an entry-level HVAC/energy engineer. Hhere's some highlights from their job listing:

• Work with one of our senior engineers to test a new 1000-ton chiller plant at a new $500m hospital facility, figure out ways to make it run more efficiently, and calculate the annual energy savings
  • Use energy meters to collect data at a large university student center facility to analyze usage, and develop and quantify recommendations for reducing consumption
  • Collaborate on troubleshooting an ailing heating plant that can’t keep up with demand despite seeming to have more capacity than necessary based on nameplate data
  • Write a commissioning plan and functional performance test protocols
  • Visit a 50-year-old industrial facility with an equally dated HVAC system alongside a Senior Engineer to find ways to make cost-effective improvements and save the owner energy

Here's what I have so far, which is not much other than "I TOTALLY still remember my engineering school and also I learn new stuff fast"

quote:

Dir Sir/Madam
I saw the position for the [job] listed on your website, and I would like to apply.

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this role. I have a solid engineering background, and while I have not worked directly with HVAC systems, I do have a good knowledge of what those systems entail. Additionally, I have a strong curiosity, passion, and aptitude for all things technical and engineering. I’m very self-motivated, and in my current position, started as a QA associate and have managed to grow in that role to a systems technician. I have also performed business associate duties where I took customer requirements and translated those to measurable and quantifiable goals for software development teams.

I'm well-versed and experienced in a wide-array of software, notably Windows and Office. I’m an extremely fast-learner, and love to learn about new technologies and software. Additionally, I have taken several steps to make my life and home more green and efficient, from installing a heat pump, to at-home-composting and gardening, to biking and taking public transit when I can.

I’d love to opportunity to speak with someone further on this position. I can be reached at [phone]or [email].

Regarding the eco-stuff, they are a green/eco-conscious company, and made mention of that in the job posting, as well. Like. Specifically calling out that they are looking for candidate who are eco-conscious (I'd like to think I try. None of the things I mentioned in the CL are a lie or exaggeration.)

I'd be happy to DM my resume as well and the job link to anyone who is willing to look further into it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Can you personalize the CL more? Refer to specific things about the company and the posting. A CL has the most impact when it's clear its being written for that role, not just generically about you.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Let’s work on the first full paragraph, because it’s doing all the heavy lifting of convincing them. You currently have:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this role. I have a solid engineering background, and while I have not worked directly with HVAC systems, I do have a good knowledge of what those systems entail. Additionally, I have a strong curiosity, passion, and aptitude for all things technical and engineering. I’m very self-motivated, and in my current position, started as a QA associate and have managed to grow in that role to a systems technician. I have also performed business associate duties where I took customer requirements and translated those to measurable and quantifiable goals for software development teams.

With my |notes|, how about we tweak that to:

DrBouvenstein posted:

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this role. |Duh|

I have a solid engineering background and bring to bear a strong knowledge of HVAC system [because of what?], even though my career has been focused on other areas of engineering to date. |Re-wrote this to lead with what you have, not with what’s missing. Also, this isn’t currently that convincing, as there’s no reason why I’d believe you know HVAC - was it from classes, or working on your own place, or your uncle Troy Barnes? Tell me why you say you have knowledge even if you haven’t worked on it|

|Deleted the “Additionally” sentence as it separates two concepts that you very much want to link more closely than you have|

What I don’t already know about HVAC systems I’m confident I could learn quickly, because I’m a self-motivated, rapid learner. For example, in my current position, I started as a QA associate and was promoted to systems technician because I developed skills in [widget touching] in [timeframe]. |I think that one example is enough, but split it into two sentences to not have so many commas|

Lead with what you bring, not with what you lack, show rather than tell, and tighten it up a bit, and I think it’s doing the same work but is more convincing, and more succinct about your actual point of “look, I’m smart, and you already have HVAC knowledge in-house, bring me in and teach me and you’ll make more money than with the dumb, experienced guy.”

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Some commentary in italics:

Dir Sir/Madam
I saw the position for the [job] listed on your website, and I would like to apply. they're holding your resume and cover letter. this is obvious. cut.

I feel I would be an ideal candidate for this role.show don't tell, this is unnecessary. I have a solid engineering background, and while I have not worked directly with HVAC systems, I do have a good knowledge of what those systems entail. ok, give me something here. What's the hotness in the HVAC world? show me that you have done a little research and give me a lil peek at that knowledge of those systems Additionally, I have a strong curiosity, passion, and aptitude for all things technical and engineering. give me an example of what you've learned as a passion project ideally tangentially related to the job/HVAC/relevant techs I’m very self-motivated, and in my current position, started as a QA associate and have managed to grow in that role to a systems technician. managed to grow reads really weird. is this path unusual or special? what does this diversity of roles mean for you as future HVAC HMFIC? I have also performed business associate duties where I took customer requirements and translated those to measurable and quantifiable goals for software development teams. this is good, i wouldn't describe this as business associate duties though. what is a business associate? the core thing is good: you gathered customer requirements (from whom? what customers? how?) and turned them in to actual software/systems requirements. neat, lean in to it, describe what you did.

I'm well-versed and experienced in a wide-array of software, notably Windows and Office. this is on your resume, unless you wanna highlight something specific let I’m an extremely fast-learner, and love to learn about new technologies and software. Additionally, I have taken several steps to make my life and home more green and efficient, from installing a heat pump, to at-home-composting and gardening, to biking and taking public transit when I can. this is cool, i would lean in to this more and earlier to be like yo I am ALL ABOUT energy efficiency and I cannot wait to do MORE energy efficiency for your company

I’d love to opportunity to speak with someone further on this position. I can be reached at [phone]or [email].

I really like your theoretical combo as IT/systems/connected technology plus more traditional engineering. It's a good combo (lots of connected IOT type poo poo on HVAC systems, but they also gotta you know be installed and work and have uptime and poo poo) and you should lean in to it. you got all the pieces, it's just about selling yourself, and demonstrating good communication beyond the resume. It's not a regurgitation of your resume, you're trying to show that you can connect your resume concepts with the likely job duties, demonstrate depth of understanding beyond the duties written on the resume, and that you can write a grammatically correct and clear set of sentences.

pizzapocketparty
Nov 27, 2005
CHOMP
I've got an interview lined up but a new wrinkle in my resume. I worked a not-good-fit job for 9 months and quit, had two months of stay-at-home parenting, and now I've been temp'ing at the company I had before the not-good-fit job. I'm there until the end of the year, but they're aware I'm ready to move.

I'm assuming the 9 month job will come up as a question, but I'm not sure what the best way to talk about it is. Here's the details:

• Two months after I was hired we started going through a merger, which made everything a little kooky and turbulent.
  • Just under half of my department left within 6 months, including my boss who hired me. When I left, that made it 50% turnover.
  • My interim boss was also filling in for CFO responsibilities, so she was fairly absent as she was also doing a lot of financial reporting to the company acquiring us. They only hired a CFO after I had left.
  • I ended up doing a lot of contract admin/accounts payable work, which was not my position was supposed to be.
  • Overall, was a high-stress job at an established but unorganized company (and I've worked at start-ups)

This is the only short-term job I've had on my resume. It was for a different field, this interview is in the same field I was in before.

My instinct is to say it was not a great fit, they were going through a rocky merger/acquisition, and there was a lot of turnover within my department including my boss.

On a more positive side, I'd also say I wanted to try out a new field, but realized I really liked my old field more and cite specific examples I missed. I plan on using the term "boomerang".

I'll likely avoid saying anything about using time to stay-at-home parent, or the job being more accounting/contract work than was pitched to me.

Any red flags or tips on talking about short stints at jobs? My mental guideline is basically "Don't talk poo poo or sound bitter." While it was stressful and not ideal, I did learn a lot since it did end up being sort of a poo poo-show.

pizzapocketparty fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

This sounds fine, 1 short term job is not going to raise red flags. Be positive about it and it sounds like you might have too much planned to say though, which can come off as babbling. I think "I wanted to branch out, wasn't a great fit and the merger they were going through made it tougher. I boomeranged back (good call, that term is getting some positive play in corpo world) and looking forward to continuing to grow in blahblah"/

I don't think you need to go into more detail unless they ask.