Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

:f5: indeed

As much as we are mocking you here, Ham Equity, I sincerely hope this works out and you are not currently getting robbed by your tenants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I just landed on a cross country flight. I looked at this thread before I texted my family. Whew.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's like one good part of town. Also a very good low key taco joint.

There's a gyro place that I still miss.

Leperflesh posted:

I love trees and solitude and ecosystems and peace and quiet and clear air and independence but also I looove having four choices within five miles for my vietnamese food, a fire station six blocks away with 24/7 paid professional firefighters inside and a fire hydrant outside my house they can hook up to, a dozen+ mechanics competing with each other to fix my car, and a municipal sewer system.

What I love about my current place is I do have a ton of variety of places to go (tons of bars and restaurants and a movie theater within a mile), but I'm also half a mile off Lake Michigan (unfortunately, the new place is a mile off the lake :smith:) and I can bike south for like 15 miles on a trail or I can bike north for 15 minutes and be downtown.

Unfortunately, it also means I drive like half an hour to work.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Ham Equity did DoR Marshalls arrest you? Did your soon-to-be-tenants bury you alive in the back yard? We must know! :ohdear:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm eating dinner, but I would feel neglectful without a quick update.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

No need to change the locks right?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ham Equity posted:

Welcome to the Landed Gentry!

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

5/5 content right here.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hughlander posted:

No need to change the locks right?

https://www.cnet.com/news/privacy/duplicating-keys-from-a-photograph/

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

Did they...leave?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I’m shocked all the ******** goons freaking out turned out to be wrong lol

insane behavior lol

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

right arm posted:

insane behavior lol

Keys do not mean OP is outta the woods without more context.

Also, I don’t think anyone in the thread was saying OP was gonna get screwed 100%. Everyone was objecting to the degenerate levels of risk OP was taking on $750,000 while intentionally choosing to not use any of the many risk mitigation tools available to them.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I mean really those could be anyone's keys

Baddog
May 12, 2001

right arm posted:

insane behavior lol

Don't censor your ******* posts lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah those are all Schlage or derivatives, cut depths are pretty well known for most of that family and easy to recover from a photo and lmao you have the direct code showing on the side of a couple of them. Probably want to replace them anyway, no telling how many copies the previous occupants left floating around.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ham Equity posted:

Congrats. I am sure we are all still curious about the $25k though. What will happen to it?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hooray! Glad to have been wrong.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Congrats on it going well, and welcome to the other thread where we bitch about owning instead! :v:

(But seriously, while goons were being super hyperbolic as usual, there were lotsa red flags on this whole thing. Glad you've come out the other side okay!)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We're the sellers just libertarians who just didn't want the government to get any money?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

For what it's worth, reading this story, including all of the naysayers, has been educational. It's good to see everyone's perspectives of all the things that could go wrong in this complex situation. There was a lot of stuff I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Hope it's all good now Ham.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I seriously considered going and posting in the "get yourself a six-hour probe with a cute picture" thread, but then realized there are, like, multiple mods invested in this now and I'd probably get banned eight ways to Sunday.

I'm really sorry, everybody, but it was very uneventful. They handed us the keys, asked about the money, we said we didn't have it yet, and are talking to an attorney about what to do. They did a really good job cleaning the place, and left some cameras for a security system that they had said they weren't going to, along with some extra lightbulbs and some paint that matches the walls. They also left a nice note and a forwarding address for any mail that doesn't get automatically forwarded.

I'm aware you can copy a key from a picture, and if you want to make a copy of those keys, and then try every door in South Seattle until you find mine, you are welcome to the box of locks you will find in the house (decided to wait until tomorrow to change the locks). We're talking to the attorney about what's next, I'll definitely tell everyone about what winds up happening with the money when it's all over. Sorry for the lack of misery and schadenfreude, but I promise when the multiple-owner thing blows up in our face, I'll post about in the homeowner thread.

Upgrade posted:

home equity polycule
Pretty sure this is too long for a username, but one of my roommates is a musician, maybe we'll form a band.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Expected result is expected. What did they ask about the money though? How much of it you're willing to give to them? Or did they just assume you'd be giving all of it?

Ham Equity posted:

Sorry for the lack of misery and schadenfreude, but I promise when the multiple-owner thing blows up in our face, I'll post about in the homeowner thread.

Thread hyperbole aside, I think this was always going to be your biggest risk.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 16, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The only thing better than goons being proven right about our constant negativity is a goon having an actual good personal outcome.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

runawayturtles posted:

Expected result is expected. What did they ask about the money though? How much of it you're willing to give to them? Or did they just assume you'd be giving all of it?

Thread hyperbole aside, I think this was always going to be your biggest risk.

Pretty much just asking about arrangements and saying they were fine if we needed to use some of it to cover a lawyer or whatever.

I think they think we could get away without giving it to them (or without giving it all to them, certainly) and wanted to stay on good terms. Or maybe they just wanted to follow through on their deal like good people. :unsmith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

The only thing better than goons being proven right about our constant negativity is a goon having an actual good personal outcome.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ham Equity posted:

Pretty much just asking about arrangements and saying they were fine if we needed to use some of it to cover a lawyer or whatever.

I think they think we could get away without giving it to them (or without giving it all to them, certainly) and wanted to stay on good terms. Or maybe they just wanted to follow through on their deal like good people. :unsmith:

Did they explain why they overstayed a single day, causing them to owe you $25,000?

IMO there is no sane explanation a person would default on such an easy due date with that amount of money on the line, and none of this is adding up. Them asking you about the money (unless you’ve left context out here that matters) means they’re extremely aware you are to be paid it and they have some specific plans about it.

If you haven’t yet, those security cameras should be disconnected from power and thrown in a sealed box outside, unless you’re 100% sure they’re non-remote viewable.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

After all this I gotta say I kinda think I like the sellers of Ham's new polycule den.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ham Equity posted:

It's worse than we feared; Ham was forced to become a seahawks fan. rip

congrats ham

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Did they explain why they overstayed a single day, causing them to owe you $25,000?

IMO there is no sane explanation a person would default on such an easy due date with that amount of money on the line, and none of this is adding up. Them asking you about the money (unless you’ve left context out here that matters) means they’re extremely aware you are to be paid it and they have some specific plans about it.

If you haven’t yet, those security cameras should be disconnected from power and thrown in a sealed box outside, unless you’re 100% sure they’re non-remote viewable.
They didn't specify, but it's definitely because they weren't getting the money from the escrow. I didn't want to go digging because they were giving us the keys and I didn't want to talk them out of that.

Security cameras are disconnected from power.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
It's always really loving funny when a parade of dogpilers tut-tuts about worst-case scenarios to the point where they're attacking every single OP decision and then it basically just works out

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

I'd probably get banned eight ways to Sunday.

lol, nah, it would have been funny.

At least this week here in this thread we all learned our own valuable lessons about risk. And that sometimes it is ok to trust people, even if they have many liens against them. Goddamnit guys, lienees are people too. Sometimes they just want to meet up to look you square in the eyes, shake your hand firmly, and give you and your two buddies a half can of leftover paint. Jeez.

Until next time friends.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

illcendiary posted:

It's always really loving funny when a parade of dogpilers tut-tuts about worst-case scenarios to the point where they're attacking every single OP decision and then it basically just works out

It hasn’t worked out yet.

OP is now in a scenario where people who know exactly where they live (and the faults of the home, but that’s a little alarmist of me) believe OP owes them $25,000. And those people have let OP know, albeit nicely, that they are keenly aware OP has their $25,000. And the cherry on top is that these sellers used a legally risky strategy explicitly to keep it out of the hands of the tax man.

And OP still doesn’t know if they’re legally ok to give these people money outside of a free consultation “it’ll probably be ok?” shrug from a lawyer they haven’t officially retained yet.

The only thing OP has avoided so far is squatters, and damage to the home they own. All of the other potentially risky legal issues are still very much at play. I do truly hope it works out for OP, but they’ve still got lots of hours to put into this.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I guess if they weren't getting the money from escrow either way, there's nothing to lose by letting it fall to Ham & co and seeing if he'll pass it on.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

I guess if they weren't getting the money from escrow either way, there's nothing to lose by letting it fall to Ham & co and seeing if he'll pass it on.

You know what they say. It isn’t tax fraud if you commit tax fraud to avoid paying your penalties from tax fraud.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, sellers weren't getting the money either way so they stayed a day late to ensure Ham would get the money. Then they cleaned the place up and are being nice to Ham hoping he he gives them some of it back even if he is not required to (prorated rent/security deposit, whatever.)

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 16, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Congratudolences on the house! See you over in HCH soon. :q:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It hasn’t worked out yet.

OP is now in a scenario where people who know exactly where they live (and the faults of the home, but that’s a little alarmist of me) believe OP owes them $25,000. And those people have let OP know, albeit nicely, that they are keenly aware OP has their $25,000. And the cherry on top is that these sellers used a legally risky strategy explicitly to keep it out of the hands of the tax man.

And OP still doesn’t know if they’re legally ok to give these people money outside of a free consultation “it’ll probably be ok?” shrug from a lawyer they haven’t officially retained yet.

The only thing OP has avoided so far is squatters, and damage to the home they own. All of the other potentially risky legal issues are still very much at play. I do truly hope it works out for OP, but they’ve still got lots of hours to put into this.

Ehhh, I don't think they are in much physical danger, unless Ham got that vibe from them, which it doesn't sound like he did. There is a big jump from "not paying the government or people who work on your house" to doing property destruction and whatnot.

I am glad he dodged the bullet of them hanging out in his house until they got some/all of this weird "rentback but not really renting or even owing anything for weeks and weeks after closing" money. The other stuff is *fairly* minor in my mind, and he does have time now to get this worked out with the lawyer (ask more questions, it is ok to ask your lawyer questions).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Congrats on the house Ham!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ham Equity posted:

Woot congrats! Glad it worked out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The goon in the well has found the Mines of Moria.