Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

RC Cola posted:

I love being on the penalty kill in my D league. I forecheck really hard and we end up spending most of the PK in the offensive zone because they keep trying to do bad stretch passes and poo poo
Bad stretch passes on the PP (when there is no deep forechecker) is one of my biggest pet peeves. It's aggravating as hell watching your teammate wing a wild two line pass where the best result is your forward gets to attack alone into 2-3 defensemen and the worst, more likely result is them fumbling a difficult pass and giving up possession. Just take the extra 5-10 seconds and skate it up methodically. You have an extra skater! Use them! If no one is forechecking hard... then you are the extra skater! Take your free ice and force them to defend, don't give it up for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

All the best skaters are on the ice during the PK, so shorthanded goals abound

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We had a game once where our goalie didn't show up until late (forgot his skates) and we only had 7 skaters. We went into the game just expecting to get demolished and it was almost a joke as we guessed how many goals we thought they would score.

Somehow we had a 4-1 lead going into the third period with no goalie and 6v5. They kept trying to shoot from far away and getting an icing which we would use to control the zone and get scoring opportunities. We had a guy back always protecting the net/d zone.

Eventually they started forcing their way into the zone and got lucky on a few shots. The mood went from funny light hearted non serious game to them getting really frustrated and pissed. Our goalie showed up in the third and it was 6-5. I think we ended up winning by a goal. Wild game. We celebrated in the locker room like it was a playoff series.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We once had a game like that where neither goalie showed up until the second period. My team at the time also had a goalie that would take a minimum of 20 minutes to put his gear on, so even if he showed up 20 minutes early, he'd often miss puck drop.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hockey is back! Fall league evaluation skate tonight, games start in September.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
If anyone on the East Coast gets a chance the Hockey Fights MS tournaments are a lot of fun. We lost in overtime in the championship but it was one of the best games we've played in a long time.

Plus we had some random dude during the first game yell gently caress off back to Delaware. :lol:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The hockey gods gave our newbie team a summer playoff match vs #1 who we were 0-3 against (and who outscored us 20-4), and then only sent them 7 skaters, so we beat 'em 6-2 and now both my skater and goalie teams play overlapping 9:45 and 10:00 games at the same 2-sheeter this Sunday for their respective division finals.

The parking lot after is gonna be buck wild.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I've managed to start scoring more regularly and it does certainly feel nice. Scored a nice one short side upstairs last night. It's taken about a year to really start finding my shot, but now it's settling in. Feels good. Couple games in a row with a goal.

Bad feels though too as we lost one of our teammates to a broken ankle last night. No contact, it just went.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
That's my fear when along the boards near the zam doors. Almost always gaps in the ice.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

All the best skaters are on the ice during the PK, so shorthanded goals abound

I am one of the worst skaters, I just have the most energy/endurance!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

That's my fear when along the boards near the zam doors. Almost always gaps in the ice.

It was in front of the net. Doesn't know if she caught a little soft spot, but she just stopped in front and fell straight down.

I share your concern about the spots by the doors. A few of the rinks have doors that get bad and are really bouncy on the puck. And with it being summertime and hot, the edges by the boards/doors tends to be where it melts the most.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen two broken ankles on the ice, and both of them happened in the slot. One of them wasn't even during play, just twisted wrong and snap it went.

That's why I don't rush the net anymore, it's not because I'm lazy but it's safer!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Saw my buddy break his fibula and tibia clean at the ankle as he went into the corner and caught a weird inside toe edge. We got him up and his right foot was facing 4 o clock. I got a little woozy seeing that.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Verman posted:

Saw my buddy break his fibula and tibia clean at the ankle as he went into the corner and caught a weird inside toe edge. We got him up and his right foot was facing 4 o clock. I got a little woozy seeing that.

Exact same thing happened to my friend, even with the 90-degree foot bend. :barf:

He needed a plate and six screws, but amazingly he was back on the ice in only 6 months.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Saw that happen. He didn’t realize and tried right stand up. It went almost 90’ to the side and he fell over again screaming. It’s easily the grossest thing I’ve seen playing. Thankfully he was in a fire team so plenty of medical experience on the ice while we waited for 911 (other firefighters).

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
(quick big ol gear change:)

Who's gonna be the first in this thread to pick up a pair of these?

https://twitter.com/thehockeyshopbc/status/1693675433089433934

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duke Chin posted:

I bought Minnesota Wild overstock, I'm not afraid to go loud. Sure is good that our sweaters are red.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eagle gloves are worth it.. even if they're painfully ugly

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Duke Chin posted:

Tagging sellouts

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No thanks, maybe if I ripped the palms and gussets out and went to regular leather but not the same as my h34 garden gloves

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
^^^ tbh you were the first one I thought of when I saw these gloves lol

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm sure they're hideously expensive (pun intended) but they WOULD almost go with our Colorado pond jerseys

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

lol all I need now are my h34 14” in black / tan / black

I have all tan, all black, and tan/black/tan

I haven’t looked recently though

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nice to see some garish Eagle gloves again.

I have a couple pairs of Eagles I go back to once in a while, but the lack of flexible thumbs is inevitably a deal breaker for me. I wore Eagles for over a decade straight too, but I've been corrupted by newer tech. CCM HG97/4R have been my go-to.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
We went 0-13 for the summer season and are having some roster turnover. It’s been rocky.

Time for the playoffs tonight and we win 4-3.

With the turnover on the roster for fall/winter we should be closer to a .500 team hopefully.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

PSA when you're up by 7 goals with 2 minutes left don't stab at our goalie after the whistle thank you

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shyduck posted:

PSA when you're up by 7 goals with 2 minutes left don't stab at our goalie after the whistle thank you

Unless you want to take a few cross checks, in which case still don't do it. The only thing I hate just as much is goalies who will slash me in the back of my calves when I'm well outside their crease. These fall under my "don't be a dickhead" mantra.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

All the summer camps are done, so the adults get their ice time back! :toot:

I skated for 4 hours today and my Fitbit says I burned 2,514 calories lol

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Do you mean during the day? Because a bunch of the rinks swap to Freestyle for big chunks of the day to make money off the figure skaters.

Youth practices take up the rest of the nights until 9-10pm. Which means we get a few lunch times, some 6am S&P, and that’s about it until the sun goes down.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jhet posted:

Do you mean during the day? Because a bunch of the rinks swap to Freestyle for big chunks of the day to make money off the figure skaters.

Youth practices take up the rest of the nights until 9-10pm. Which means we get a few lunch times, some 6am S&P, and that’s about it until the sun goes down.

Yeah my rink has a Tuesday and Thursday adults-only hockey free skate (no figure skaters allowed!) for 90 minutes for $3, but it doesn't exist during Summer because of camps. My non-Summer routine starts today and it involves playing Rat Hockey from 10-11:30 and then doing free skate from 12-1:30 on Tuesdays.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah my rink has a Tuesday and Thursday adults-only hockey free skate (no figure skaters allowed!) for 90 minutes for $3, but it doesn't exist during Summer because of camps. My non-Summer routine starts today and it involves playing Rat Hockey from 10-11:30 and then doing free skate from 12-1:30 on Tuesdays.

That's a wonderful thing. Is everyone in gear, or is it just hockey skaters running around practicing their footwork and skating like a rocket? I'd love to see something like that, but I'm pretty sure of the rinks in the city here there's all of 90 minutes free 3x a week over lunch on one sheet of ice. I don't think they want to fill it either so the ice crew has a little time to maintain it before the USPHL team tears it up in practice and after the figure skaters left holes in it all morning.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Man we had like 3 glorious weeks of our weekly pickup being at 8pm because it was between camps ending and fall hockey starting and now we're bumped right back to 9:30pm. For some reason that hour and a half makes all the difference in how I feel the next day.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hockey's back! First game Sunday at 2:15 PM.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
First game of the season was cancelled due to power outages, so we had to wait a week but I’m very excited to get back. Didn’t play any games over the summer so it’s been a long time away. Looking forward to seeing how little my off ice workouts will help my on ice performance but it’ll still be fun.

Possibly moving to Portland Maine in February, so I checked out some hockey leagues up there through Google, anyone here have experience playing up there? Want to avoid any leagues where dudes will poo poo in my gloves.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
sometimes the glove making GBS threads leagues find you

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 15, 2023

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

V for Vegans posted:

First game of the season was cancelled due to power outages, so we had to wait a week but I’m very excited to get back. Didn’t play any games over the summer so it’s been a long time away. Looking forward to seeing how little my off ice workouts will help my on ice performance but it’ll still be fun.

Possibly moving to Portland Maine in February, so I checked out some hockey leagues up there through Google, anyone here have experience playing up there? Want to avoid any leagues where dudes will poo poo in my gloves.

I used to live there and first started playing in the area. I never got a chance to get in a league before I moved south, but played lots of pickup in Falmouth. If I remember the pickup times for the rink in Portland didn't work for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We had a makeup game for missing Labor Day on a Saturday afternoon. Naturally, we had 7 skaters vs a full bench. One dummy on our team took a 2 and a 10 for retaliation. We’re up 1-0 almost the whole game and gave up a goal with 3 mins left. Ended up tying 1-1. I’m loving exhausted.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Back home after spending a week at altitude and man does it feel good to gulp that sea level air on the ice.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Has anyone tried out sticks from prostockhockeysticks.com and had any thoughts? I've somehow broken two sticks since Jan and I'd like to not shell out the cost of another True if I can get something comparable for less (especially since it's going to break eventually). I played with a stick from allblackhockeysticks before and it was _fine_ but didn't feel great so I'm looking for alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My skate runner broke on my Bauer Vapors last night. Gonna see if this pro shop I'm going to can put a new holder on for me so that I don't have to shell out another $500 for a new pair of skates.

This is actually my 2nd pair of Vapors in a row this has happened with. I'm either too fat (likely) or blocking too many shots (what I'd prefer to tell myself).

.Spec posted:

Has anyone tried out sticks from prostockhockeysticks.com and had any thoughts? I've somehow broken two sticks since Jan and I'd like to not shell out the cost of another True if I can get something comparable for less (especially since it's going to break eventually). I played with a stick from allblackhockeysticks before and it was _fine_ but didn't feel great so I'm looking for alternatives.

I have not. I use all blacks myself. They've been pretty solid for me. Not a spectacular stick but for $80 it's pretty hard to beat. They seem to last a while and feel good enough to me.