Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Kenshin posted:

Really depends on the kind of soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember having to stop a game of Monopoly Jr. as a kid because my cousin started choking on the horse.

We had the "Australia" themed Monopoly board when I was a kid. But my brother ate the Koala, and it became less fun to play after that.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dad of the year here.

AITA for being firm with my teenage half sibling in Facebook DMs?

It's bizarre how often divorced parents side with their new partner/family over their older children from a previous relationship, or at least it seems that way from both this thread and people I know in real life with divorced parents that started new families with other people.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Well bear in mind in that situation there's also a parent and kids who are doing the exact opposite! They just usually don't (rightfully) complain about it online. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BrigadierSensible posted:

We had the "Australia" themed Monopoly board when I was a kid. But my brother ate the Koala, and it became less fun to play after that.

Did you not think to wash and sterilize it afterwards?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Did you not think to wash and sterilize it afterwards?

They tried, but the brother cried and struggled when they began forcing him into the autoclave.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xeno emerges from one of the Bride's Maids.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
OP wobbles, but finds his spine in the end.

[Update] My [34M] ex-wife [32F] divorced me after she got cancer so that she could "leave" first, now she wants to come back - should I give her another chance?

quote:

I met my wife (I'll call her Anna) during our first year of university. We dated through university and got married right after her graduation. Things were happy for about a while until Anna discovered a lump in her right breast. I encouraged her to have it checked out; she was reluctant to do so, but utlimately did because breast cancer runs in her family. And sure enough, that's what she had.

The good news - if it can be considered good news - was that the breast cancer she had was extremely treatable with chemo and radiation. Based n her family history her doctor also recommended a double masectomy for her. This put Anna in a REALLY dark place. I suggested she go to therapy but she outright refused and said she never wanted to hear me suggest that again. So I did my best to be encouraging and supportive to her. I took time off work to be at every appointment with her, I took on 100% of the household chores both inside and out, I did all of the shopping, I drove Anna everywhere she wanted to go, I planned out special dates for us, I gave her an hour-long foot massage every night, I literally did whatever I could.

About six weeks into her treatment, Anna brought up the idea of going to stay with her sister Sarah for a week. This honestly relieved me as I was burning the candle at both ends trying to accomplish everything, and I thought some time apart would help us both. Two nights into her stay with Sarah, Anna called me and said she wanted a divorce. She said she had read a lot about men who abandon their wives when their wives get sick, and that she was determined to leave me before I could leave her.. [ :psyduck: - Ed. ]

I can't put into words how much this crushed me. I loved my wife. She was my everything. I begged her to reconsider. I told her I had NEVER thought of leaving her, not even once. I asked her again to go to therapy. She refused again. I asked her to go to couple's therapy with me. She wouldn't. I asked her what I could do to convince her I wanted to stay. She said there was nothing. I am a man and therefore I would leave. End of story.

It took about a year because of where we live (thanks COVID) but eventually everything was finalized. I ended up selling the house and splitting the proceeds between me and my now ex-wife. I didn't want to stay in that town anymore, so I put in a transfer request at my job and ended up moving to a town about 2 hours away. For the past couple of years, I've been focusing on myself more. I got a dog. I've been on a few dates but nothing serious. I picked up hiking as a hobby and started gardening.

Out of the blue, Anna called me three weeks ago. She said she'd been in town on a trip with friends and saw me, and all of her old feelings rushed back. She said she was sick and out of her mind at the time, and that I couldn't hold her words or her actions against her. She said she still loved me, that she always had, and that she regretted leaving me. She begged me to give her another chanace.

I'm.... so confused. If I'm being honest, I still love Anna but I'm no longer IN love with her. She broke my heart. I was devastated when she ended things. It took me a long time to get my head on right. But I also know she really was in a bad place because of the cancer. Do I owe it to her and what we had to hear her out? I'm scared that if we reconnect, I'll always feel like she'll have one foot out the door. But maybe that's unfair? I don't know what to do. Should I give her another chance like she wants?
And the update:

quote:

Many of you suggested I reach out to my ex-wife "Anna" for an in-person conversation; the overwhelming consensus was that meeting her in person would tell me all I needed to know... and you were right. That seemed reasonable to me. I texted her and she jumped at the chance to meet, and we did so yesterday after I was done work. I chose to ask her to meet at a local coffee shop. Maybe it sounds bad, but I didn't want to meet her at my house or anywhere private just in case.

Anyway, Anna was already there when I got there. She got up and hugged me. I let her, but didn't hug her back. Then we sat down. I asked her to remain quiet while I talked and then I told her everything. I'm gonna sum it up here because I honestly don't remember everything I said. I think I talked for like ten minutes solid while she just sat there and teared up.

But I told her things like how much she had devastated me. I told her that I would have stuck with her through thick and thin, no matter what. I told her that I loved her, and that hadn't changde after her diagnosis or treatment plan. I told her that I was broken after she initiated the divorce. I told her how hard it was for me to pull myself back together. A lot of you pointed out that if Anna and I got back together, I should be worried about what she would do the next time she got sick - or if I got sick. And you were right. So I told her that too. And she got mad and interrupted me at that point.

She said I was being unfair. That I wasn't taken into consideration her mental health at the time. She said she wasn't thinking straight, but that now she was. I took the chance to ask her if she'd been to therapy. She told me she hadn't, and that she had no plans to, and that she didn't need it. I have to admit, that crushed me a little.

I asked her why.

Just... WHY? It's the one question I've really wrestled with over the months. And she said that she'd gone looking for support groups and found a lot of women who had stories about their partners leaving. She even mentioned Reddit, funnily enough. She said she talked it through with her sister "Sarah". Anna said that Sarah, to her credit, had tried to dissuade her from divorcing me. But that between social media and some of Anna's friends, Anna felt like she "had to go through with it to be seen as a strong woman".

That is word for word what she said to me. I don't remember anything else exactly but I will never forget that. She broke my heart and threw away our relationship because somehow in her mind that translated to being strong.

She then started trying to tell me we could get back together again, but at that point I just told her flat-out that wasn't happening. What it comes down to for me is that I just can't trust her. I would always be worrying about the same thing happening again. She cried a lot and tried convincing me for a little while. When I got up to leave, she threw her iced coffee in my face and stormed out.

So yeah. We're definitely not getting back together. I have the closure I always wanted. I wish it felt better. I've been dwelling on it for the past day and a half. I keep wondering if there's something I could've done better, some way I could've saved our relationship. But I know there's not. I've blocked her number. I kind of hope I never hear from her again.
It was nice of the Ex to do that final thing, to confirm to OP that he made the right decision in not letting her back into his life.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow, she must be an empathic person

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The funny thing about her trying to say he can't hold her sick body and mental unhealth self against her, but the situation is literally "what happens if you get sick again" where that part of her person is very relevant.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ask her what she thinks of The Yankees.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for asking my gf to convert to Christianity???

quote:

AITA for asking my gf to convert to Christianity??

I (45M) lost my wife a few years ago. Long long story... after help from my family and friends, I felt comfortable enough to start dating my girlfriend (43F) three years ago. We are very happy together and are planning to get engaged soon.

My girlfriend is Jewish and I am a Christian. Neither of us are actually religious (I don't go to church and she doesn't go to the Jewish religious services). Now this wouldn't have bothered me a long time ago, but since I lost my wife, I have been very worried about being buried in the same cemetery as my deceased wife and my current gf (hopefully future wife).

The problem is, since she is Jewish and my deceased wife and I are Christians, she would not be able to be buried with me.

So I decided to ask her if she could convert to Christianity since she is not a very religious person. I wasnt expecting her to get so upset, but she was furious with me. She told me that being Jewish is a huge part of her identity (even though she has never said that before?!?) and I have no right to ask her to do anything like that.

Since that happened two days ago, she has been staying at her parents house instead of our apartment and her family and friends are blowing up my phone.

I thought it would have been a good idea, but now I'm wondering... am I the rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: my late wife was a religious woman, even though I was not. She passed away from cancer, and had time to pick out where she wanted to be buried and asked that I would be buried with her when I die. I promised her that I would and I don't intend to break my promise... even though my wife is gone, I still love her and want to be with her if there is an afterlife, but I want my GF to be there too.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
What a weird attempt at a power play

AITA for not allowing my MIL to use the bathtub in our primary bedroom?

quote:

Obviously this a throwaway because I don’t want it tracked back to me.

A little background information first: I barely have a relationship with my MIL because since we got engaged she has been a nightmare to deal with. She constantly meddles, stomps boundaries, is very judgmental and takes no responsibility for her actions. We were NC with her for nearly a year but since my husband resumed contact due to my FIL having a health scare she has been on her best behavior… That is until last weekend.

So my in-laws were up to visit last weekend and unfortunately requested to stay with us, I’d prefer them in a hotel but we have five bedrooms and I let my husband make the call. Well Saturday morning I was up letting the dog out and making coffee for everyone when MIL comes walking out the guest room we put them in (I decided the one furthest away from our bedroom) with a towel in her hand wearing pajamas. I asked her what she was up to and she said “I have been dying to take a bath in your tub since the first time we visited here!” I was in utter shock because first, no and also the visit and her behavior that visit is what resulted in our cutting contact. (She went through our room snooping and found some adult stuff which lead to her freaking out and demanding my husband leave me calling me some colorful names) I told her no one but my husband and I are allowed in our room or bathroom and that the room she was staying with had it’s own bathroom or she could use one of the other bathrooms. She started raising her voice and insisted on using our tub which I just said “no” again. So she starts going on about me being “rude” and a “bad hostess” apparently it was getting loud because my husband appeared and asked what was happening. I explained and he backed me up. She storms back to the room and slams the door apparently waking my FIL. He comes out because she gave some distorted account of what happened but my husband set things straight. She pouted in their room all day. They ended up leaving early Sunday for the airport.

This morning she texted my husband asking if I was ready to apologize to her for making her trip miserable and making her feel unwelcome. I have her blocked again. AITA for not just letting her use the bathtub?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just chiming into board game chat that the ultimate adult game is subjective Guess Who.

No objective questions - you can't ask if they're wearing a hat, or what color their eyes are.

What is your person's favorite book? What does your person regret most in life? What is the dream your person has that they will never tell anyone? What is the worst thing that happened to your person?

It seems like it shouldn't work, but it absolutely does.
I would actually play that the opposite way with subjective rules: The first person to properly describe their Guess Who person wins.

If you asked "What is this person's favorite Simpson's character" and I had Eric and said "Chief Wiggum" and you say "Eric!" I get the point. Although I'm guessing with this game the points don't matter it's more trying to make the other person laugh.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RocketMermaid posted:

And Monopoly's spinoff sci-fi game, Solarquest. My dad literally used to cheat against me and my sister when we were like 5 and 8 respectively, and he'd go nuclear when we called him out on it.
Ok, this is a reach, but I remember playing a board game in school in the 80s that was space based, but it wasn't Solarquest. It was something about having to go back and forth from Earth to outer planets and pick up stuff and bring it back, but it didn't have the same mechanics as Solarquest, it was a more hex based movement game and didn't care about orbits or whatall.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Peyote Panda posted:

We had to have a similar moratorium on Diplomacy in one of the gaming groups I used to know. Two lifelong friends ended up going no-contact with one another for several months after an argument in mid-game at one of their houses that got so bad that the other one stormed out of the house, punching out the front porchlight on the way. It was something seeing a guy that normally seemed so chill and jolly almost electrocute himself in a blind rage over a fuckin' board game.

Stories like these are why I’m glad my sister is 5 years older than me, so I never won a single game we played together when i was growing up. I learned to lose well.

That’s right, I am a loser.

Bored fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 16, 2023

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FMguru posted:

OP wobbles, but finds his spine in the end.

[Update] My [34M] ex-wife [32F] divorced me after she got cancer so that she could "leave" first, now she wants to come back - should I give her another chance?
But that between social media and some of Anna's friends, Anna felt like she "had to go through with it to be seen as a strong woman".
Love when "friends" suggest things that you know drat well they'd never do themselves; none of them would pre-emptively divorce their spouse.

Reminds me of the thread classic where a friend group convinced the first woman in the friends group who got married to do all sorts of stupid controlling poo poo...then when they got married themselves, did exactly none of that to their own husbands because turns out they they were basically using her as a test case.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 16, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MagusofStars posted:

Love when "friends" suggest things that you know drat well they'd never do themselves; none of them would pre-emptively divorce their spouse.

Reminds me of the thread classic where a friend group convinced the first woman in the friends group who got married to do all sorts of stupid controlling poo poo...then when they got married themselves, did exactly none of that to their own husbands because turns out they they were basically using her as a test case.

Oh man that one was hard to read, because the entire time I was like "They are not your friends! This is not a loving movie!"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
mmm, would on that spicy cock

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for asking my gf to convert to Christianity???

"I am not religious, but I believe in an afterlife and I am confident Jews won't be in it."

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

wheatpuppy posted:

"I am not religious, but I believe in an afterlife and I am confident Jews won't be in it."

Rowan Atkinson as the devil (AKA Toby): "...and Christians, you're over here too. I'm sorry, but the Jews were right!"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ponzicar posted:

My experience of Monopoly is that it's just played during family gatherings and everyone sits around absentmindedly rolling the dice while chatting and eating snacks for about twenty minutes, before everyone collectively decides to go do something else. I have never seen the game actually get finished, nor have I seen anyone actually care about winning.

I think I’ve told this story before:

It was a thanksgiving and a few of us, including my sister, her husband, their daughter [my niece] decided to play monopoly.

We were all chatting and snacking and playing when it became clear that brother-in-law had taken a clear lead so we decided to stop. Except brother-in-law.

He demanded that we finish the game “because he’d never played a game to conclusion before”.

So most of us dropped out, because gently caress that, but my sister and niece stayed to play. My sister to humor him, my niece because daddy said so.

We were in the living room when we heard the tears start.

Apparently my sister had gone bankrupt and my niece was upset that “mommy doesn’t have a home anymore!”

But brother-in-law demanded that his daughter keep playing despite all of us telling him to let it go.

But nope. BIL ground my niece into the dust eventually and when he took her last dollar and finally won he stood up gleefully and actually had the audacity to clap at his performance.

My sister bundled up my niece in her arms and left for their bedroom calling him an rear end in a top hat back over her shoulder while he looked at us all hurt-like as if he had somehow been wronged.

That was sixteen years ago and I haven’t played Monopoly since.

My sister ended up divorcing him a few years later after it turned out he was cheating on her.

Mike, you were a loving rear end in a top hat then. You are an true piece of poo poo now.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I love my wife and want to be with her in the afterlife with my girlfriend

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

CannonFodder posted:

I would actually play that the opposite way with subjective rules: The first person to properly describe their Guess Who person wins.

If you asked "What is this person's favorite Simpson's character" and I had Eric and said "Chief Wiggum" and you say "Eric!" I get the point. Although I'm guessing with this game the points don't matter it's more trying to make the other person laugh.

I think that the game you actually want to play is just Dixit.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sounds like you're jealous of Mike being a true capitalist hero

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wheatpuppy posted:

It reads stupider than that. "I want her body to be buried near my body. That means we'll be together in an afterlife, right??"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Wifi Toilet posted:

I love my wife and want to be with her in the afterlife with my girlfriend

He's playing the long game to get a 3 way. The very very long game.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

trickybiscuits posted:

Another good one, Ask Amy

"I helped him with his finances and paid his bills (with his own money)"

So you spent 5 minutes setting up Autopay on Mychart under his cc and are vying for a Mother of the Year Award. YTA

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

wheatpuppy posted:

I've heard this from a particular type of Evangelical Christian who will insist that they're not religious, being Christian isn't a religion, it's a personal relationship with Jesus.

Often they go right into why that means the First Amendment doesn't apply somehow and so teacher-led school prayer is totally okay, or some obvious nonsense like that.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

Rowan Atkinson as the devil (AKA Toby): "...and Christians, you're over here too. I'm sorry, but the Jews were right!"
That one's a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut116mBuPpg

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ponzicar posted:

My experience of Monopoly is that it's just played during family gatherings and everyone sits around absentmindedly rolling the dice while chatting and eating snacks for about twenty minutes, before everyone collectively decides to go do something else. I have never seen the game actually get finished, nor have I seen anyone actually care about winning.

The superior game for this, IMO, is The Farming Game, because it has a similar "absent-mindedly rolling dice while shooting the poo poo" vibe but it also unites the players against the loving game rather than dividing them against each other.

Like, it's ostensibly a competitive game, but we all know who the real enemy is here, and also that none of us are making it out alive.

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

Honestly I think the safer bet is just not to put profession in there at all. I'm a :j: woman in tech :j: and some straight dudes will get reaaaaal weird about that. Or try to talk to me about programming languages which is, arguably, worse.

Honestly talking about programming languages with me is not a bad way to hit on me, but only if they're the really weird, impractical languages like Chef or Whitespace or N-Funge.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

MagusofStars posted:

I honestly could not feel bad for OP in that story because she was just such an obvious idiot. i know subjectively it must have been an emotionally devastating experience for both of them but I cannot read the story without laughing. What did you think was going to happen?!?!?!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ponzicar posted:

Immaculate vibes, no notes.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sounds like you're jealous of Mike being a true capitalist hero

You aren’t wrong about Mike being a capitalist hero.

His friend group had a TON of money, like heirs of global corporations money, and he was by far the least well off. Although my sister was an executive at a software company at the time, and was doing quite well, he was always keeping up with the Joneses trying to keep up with the latest thing his rich friends were into. He was always looking for the get-rich quick scheme, from opening a restaurant (hah!) to day trading, and just couldn’t be happy with his successful wife’s large paycheck.

Brain worms. Infested with them.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

quote:

I (45M) lost my wife a few years ago. Long long story... after help from my family and friends, I felt comfortable enough to start dating my girlfriend (43F) three years ago.
:raise:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Just chiming into board game chat that the ultimate adult game is subjective Guess Who.

No objective questions - you can't ask if they're wearing a hat, or what color their eyes are.

What is your person's favorite book? What does your person regret most in life? What is the dream your person has that they will never tell anyone? What is the worst thing that happened to your person?

This sounds awesome, and if you enjoy it you should definitely try Dixit. It's a fantastic group game that has a really neat amount of subtlety & depth

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg5dAwpftRk

Here's video of a very similar thing happening. It looks fun.

Apparently the blonde bloke has some sort of internet drama surrounding him. So apologies if he is an actual monster. I can't be arsed looking it up.

Edit: Turns out he is a bog standard sex pest. Which is sad and disappointing. gently caress him. But the video/style of playing the game is still fun.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 16, 2023

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why exactly would they not be in the same cemetery if neither of them practice any religion?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The wife picked some Christian cemetery that's exclusive and got the OP to agree to the burial thing, presumably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for telling my sister that her husband is right and her baby name idea is stupid?

quote:

I [24F] have a twin sister, Maisie [24F]. Maisie is pregnant with her first and due in February, and the baby is going to be a boy.

Last week she opened up to me and said that she and her husband [26M] have been fighting over baby names and she said she's sick of hearing about it and just wants to settle on a name that they both like.

Maisie and her husband are both a bit geeky (not that there's anything wrong with that) and she told me she wants to name the baby Luffy, as in the character from One Piece. Her husband doesn't want this name and says the kid will be bullied.

She asked for my honest opinion and I told her that the name is silly and her husband is right. I tried to say this gently but really how gently can you tell someone their idea is stupid?

I suggested that she goes back to the drawing board on that one and maybe look at names of lesser known anime characters if that's what she wants.

Maisie got upset and said the name is cute and we're both just being closed minded. I told her she asked for my honest opinion and she got it. She kept trying to convince me that it was a good name and the conversation was becoming hysterical and I told her it's a stupid name, end of discussion. She started crying and left and since then she's been giving me the cold shoulder.

Our parents told me to just tell Maisie that I'm sorry because my words really upset her and I should've been nicer about it.

name him buggy the clown