Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Vakal posted:

No one cares about dreams. They are pointless and stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-vBhGk9F4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Kind of weird that you think there's a binary belief system here. Like there's no middle ground of "you all sound insane and keep promoting obvious hoaxes please provide actual concrete evidence" or "I believe in aliens but I wouldn't cite encounters as proof or support the endeavours of a lot of obsessives" I guess?

No encounters mean aliens don't exist. Encounters are no proof either. Anyone who claims otherwise sounds insane to me, so they are insane or a hoaxer. This is the middle ground. Why can't everyone take the rational middle ground like me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I had a dream I was a Jedi

I came back and freed all the slaves....

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
do you think the aliens have seen goatse?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Do you think aliens have ghosts?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I loving knew it!!!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

BigBadSteve posted:

No encounters mean aliens don't exist. Encounters are no proof either. Anyone who claims otherwise sounds insane to me, so they are insane or a hoaxer. This is the middle ground. Why can't everyone take the rational middle ground like me.

What's funny is that everyone thinks they're rational, even the irrational ones. Who the gently caress knows anything anymore?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Better beam it up to them to be sure.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

one can only hope that they have heard His good news

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stocky Manhood posted:

Hoaxes are so fuckin dumb. The original pre-Internet trolls. It's pathetic people waste time on these endeavors

Hoaxes become folklore. Half the modern cryptids wouldn't exist if some goober didn't do a hack job of a hoax at some point and who knows how many older ones started the same way

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Tarkus posted:

What's funny is that everyone thinks they're rational, even the irrational ones. Who the gently caress knows anything anymore?

Every psychiatric patient I’ve ever worked with has thought they were normal. Except one.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I had a dream alien ships made themselves known, and I was on one. I was able to confirm it was real because i pulled my phone out and it connected to some alien phone service and had the appropriate alien isp icon.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

naem posted:

so alien enthusiasts are a bit much and insist all kinds of very specific things exist based on no to very little evidence and jump to conclusions and it’s like religion and an identity at this point

BUT skeptics are also like, just as weird about it and their identity is that there aren’t aliens, and one could land and shake their hand and say “hello here are your free hoverboots and atomic fusion earthling” and they’d still deny it

both sides seem to be completely irrational

No, that's wrong and stupid.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh I'm goddamn fascinated by the entire thing and have been for decades. I grew up watching SPOOOOOOOOKY shows like In Search Of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK4PGCQQ4Oc

..... and reading SPOOOOOOOKY books like this:

Had that exact book. It was great.

Also loved the Mr Spok show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I had a dream alien ships made themselves known, and I was on one. I was able to confirm it was real because i pulled my phone out and it connected to some alien phone service and had the appropriate alien isp icon.

Bet that was expensive!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also loved the Mr Spok show.

There's a Youtube channel that's making fake 1970s 'unsolved mysteries' documentaries and they made one in that style, they did a great job:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGEJFUwReI

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I still have no idea how that channel gets so few views considering how good their videos are.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

naem posted:

so alien enthusiasts are a bit much and insist all kinds of very specific things exist based on no to very little evidence and jump to conclusions and it’s like religion and an identity at this point

BUT skeptics are also like, just as weird about it and their identity is that there aren’t aliens, and one could land and shake their hand and say “hello here are your free hoverboots and atomic fusion earthling” and they’d still deny it

Can't really say I've seen a skeptic this stubborn about it.

Hell I'm skeptical that UFOs have anything to do with extraterrestrials and I full on believe the universe is so vast it's way more unlikely that there isn't extraterrestrial life, but space is really really really really big and dangerous and tries to kill everything in it so the notion that we're being visited is one of the extraordinary claims that requires extraordinary evidence deals.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Only one I can think of is Mike West.

It isn't the skeptics that killed my belief in UFOs it was the true believers who spent hours validating hoaxed videos and the "I the know" always have things that would shock you but they can't say or find a way to anonymously leak it in such a way that there is actual proof. Using secure drop zones to drop off in context papers.

I think that the likelihood of getting any disclosure out of the five eyes is slim to nil. Even Nato countries. Also disclosure isn't eye witnesses, hypnosis, or any second or third hand information.

Basically a non faked version of what the Peru mummies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

naem posted:

Willatron posted:

Can't really say I've seen a skeptic this stubborn about it.

Well yeah, naem's counterexample is a hypothetical event which (as far as we know) has never happened outside of scifi, but "alien enthusiasts jump to crazy conclusions on insufficient evidence" happens a heck of a lot, it's dumb as hell to say both sides are on equal footing.

The modern UFO craze started in the late 1940s but in the 75+ years that people have been trying to capture indisputable evidence of their existence they haven't come up with one single piece of worthwhile evidence. (There were actually earlier UFO fads, back in the late 1890s there were many reports of mystery airships made of wood and canvas, some of which were said to have come from Mars. Note that there were a bunch of early scifi stories in the 1880s featuring fanciful airships similar to those that were reported.) The bigfoot craze has been going for at least 65 years and the hunt for Himalayan yetis/abominable snowmen has been going on for over a century now and they also haven't found any indisputable evidence. The modern Loch Ness monster craze kicked off in 1933 but even though there's now houses and motels all along the lake's foreshore and 24hr livefeeds of the loch from multiple viewpoints they still haven't come up with any compelling evidence, etc etc etc.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I can't wait till we find life on one of the ocean moons. Enceladus would be my bet. Gonna change the world.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i think basically nobody will care if we found space fish except nerds and weirds

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Houle posted:

Only one I can think of is Mike West.

Crazy old Mick West, last seen being 100% vindicated in everything he said about the UFO videos by NASA themselves.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i think basically nobody will care if we found space fish except nerds and weirds

You're probably right.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
I would eat a space fish though

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

We can breed them here in fish farms and eat them, if they taste good. Or keep them as pets. It's a huge business opportunity. Like, imagine you have a woman/guy over and you show them your alien pet fish aquarium. Definitely getting laid that night.

naem
May 29, 2011

what if earth is space australia and we bring invasive species and the space fish take over

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Willatron posted:

I would eat a space fish though

If it's truly different life, with a different DNA for example, it may be deadly.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

If it's truly different life, with a different DNA for example, it may be deadly.

Yes, but then again, it may be similar enough to be edible, even delicious. Science needs to answer these questions.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Willatron posted:

Yes, but then again, it may be similar enough to be edible, even delicious. Science needs to answer these questions.

Agreed.

*Does science handshake

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

naem posted:

what if earth is space australia and we bring invasive species and the space fish take over

Yeah, that's always a possibility. But what can you do? We just gonna have to hope for the best that none of them escape

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
clearly they will be poached to extinction if they taste good, and only the most insanely wealthy could afford elon's rocket tax. prob can't even survive in the earth environment. Might be nuts levels of pressure or temp or requires bizarre salinity.

i'd be interested to find out if they're same dna as us and reevolved their version of eukaryotic metabolism, coulda been some planet developed bacteria and they got meteor impacted all over the whole system. Or they could be related at some point after prokaryotes. Or it could be they aren't related at all which would be the option to make weirdos really get bent outta shape.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Khanstant posted:

Hoaxes become folklore. Half the modern cryptids wouldn't exist if some goober didn't do a hack job of a hoax at some point and who knows how many older ones started the same way

That is a good point. Then again, you wanna make some poo poo up? Write a fiction novel. Don't waste people's time with delicious looking fake alien mummies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If it were up to me the space fish wouldn't touch Earth or anything connected to Earth.

But it's not up to me.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Someone brought up that mick west and nasa reached the same conclusion on go fast because they both pull from the same public data. Thus, the AARO and ICIG must have even better classified data so they dismissed it outright.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Willatron posted:

It could be that there's really only one way to make life, with DNA and proteins. If so then it's a 50% we can chow down on the suckers, depending on whether they went for right-hand or left hand chirality on their proteins. To be fair we'd still be able to eat them either way, just not necessarily digest them.

temple posted:

Someone brought up that mick west and nasa reached the same conclusion on go fast because they both pull from the same public data. Thus, the AARO and ICIG must have even better classified data so they dismissed it outright.

Or those two just aren't as good at analysis as the maths dorks at NASA.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 16, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

clearly they will be poached to extinction if they taste good, and only the most insanely wealthy could afford elon's rocket tax. prob can't even survive in the earth environment. Might be nuts levels of pressure or temp or requires bizarre salinity.

i'd be interested to find out if they're same dna as us and reevolved their version of eukaryotic metabolism, coulda been some planet developed bacteria and they got meteor impacted all over the whole system. Or they could be related at some point after prokaryotes. Or it could be they aren't related at all which would be the option to make weirdos really get bent outta shape.

I'm really really curious to this question, because I do consider life to be a likely phenomena anywhere that can host it.

Is it the same? Or all different? Or a mix of the two (like intra solar system exchanges)?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
sending a mission to an alien biome is also insanely risky to the aliens. What if there's a single rear end germ that makes it and fucks all their poo poo up!?

also chirality might be preferential somehow due to some abiotic process, or reverse molecules are more or less effective than the ones we got now, besides just operating different.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
p sure some drugs still work if they're chirally flipped, but have different effects, so it's not as simple as a coin flip imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
Hoaxes are fun and there should be more of them