Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
Vino, that does sound a lot like a new rider who is starting to get too comfortable. I wouldn't start pushing speeds up when filtering just yet, or gunning it between cars. Concentrate on being smooth, predictable and visible while being alert for hazards.

I dropped my bike during the training course before I had ever even negotiated a corner. Literally pulled away in 1st, grabbed a handful of front brake and dumped it on the floor. So feel free to ignore my opinion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Supradog posted:

-Get a proper bike bluetooth com set. Cardo and Sena are the big players. since the speakers is mounted in the helmet there is nothing that can fall out or get snagged when putting the helmet on and off.

This, but also wear earplugs.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

There are 3 valid reasons to honk a horn in non-stationary U.S. freeway traffic:

A) Warning someone of a hazard you spotted, knowing full well it might distract them from the actual hazard.
B) Telling someone that they're a loving rear end in a top hat, move, what's wrong with you
C) Scare an inattentive driver who has just made a mistake that would've potentially injured someone, giving them an important life lesson, after you've
got the situation under control.

IMO people on the freeway don't react well to a horn because it communicates nothing by itself, it just triggers our adrenaline while we rapidly check our surroundings for what's wrong / who honked, whichever comes first, hoping there's a person throwing a real signal or an obvious problem we'd missed. Direction's also hard to discern with the car windows up and stereo blasting in a car.

Don't get me wrong, honk all day every day, but only to make noise and contribute to the chaos, hail satan

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Remy Marathe posted:

Don't get me wrong, honk all day every day, but only to make noise and contribute to the chaos, hail satan

Cities where people honk horns all the time really suck. I remember getting a taxi in Egypt somewhere and they're all just pointlessly honking. Lights go green, toot toot. Red, toot. Driving along, honk toot honk.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

:honk:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Cities where people honk horns all the time really suck. I remember getting a taxi in Egypt somewhere and they're all just pointlessly honking. Lights go green, toot toot. Red, toot. Driving along, honk toot honk.
I forget where I read it, but I recall a reference to the "New York Second", a unit of time defined as the time it takes between the traffic light turning green and the cabbie behind you laying on the horn.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I love that you listen to your lizard brain, never deny fear always manage it. Over 500 motorcyclists die in Cali every year, the freeways are actively trying to kill you.

I got a 800lb KLR 650 and 90% of my lane splitting is with zero acceleration or weaving, I ride SD to SLO twice a month. Just straight and steady no wild poo poo, and I make insanely good time.

Pressuring drivers to let you through is a great way to make one of those "why is this driver upset at the poor little cyclist" videos on YT that makes us look like little bitches.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
The problem is that my lizard brain used to be scared of things that at this point it is no longer scared of. I used to get scared every time I got on a bike and that has largely subsided. Now it’s just in certain situations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Learn how to pay attention without needing to be shocked into doing it, I guess.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Vino posted:

The problem is that my lizard brain used to be scared of things that at this point it is no longer scared of. I used to get scared every time I got on a bike and that has largely subsided. Now it’s just in certain situations.

Good self awareness and seems like you got good instincts. Personally it's very fun to see other riders excited and enjoying riding. I was probably a bit too much of a negative nancy, just want to temper the excitement a bit.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

as i was riding home from work the exhaust note for the motorcycle suddenly changed. it still ran fine so i rode it the last half mile to home. on inspection, and comparing to the parts fische on revzilla.com, it looks like the hose coming from the "suction tube" is gone? there's some dry remains of a rubber hose under a clip and when i cover the end of the tube (short metal tube coming from the top of the cylinder head, part 1 on this diagram: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2008-honda-crf230l/cylinder-head?submodel=crf230lac) with my thumb the engine noise goes back to normal; the new noise appears to all coming out of that tube. according to the parts fische this hose appears to have gone to the "valve assy., air suction" (according to this diagram: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2008-honda-crf230l/air-suction-valve?submodel=crf230lac). which, uh, i can't find. did i just discover something the PO removed? or is it possible i just can't find the VALVE ASSY AIR SUCTION because its behind some plastics or something

e: 2008 honda crf230L

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The valve is part of an emissions system called PAIR, it is very common to remove this system because doing so has no impact on performance and makes the bike sound better with an aftermarket muffler. It would not surprise me if the PO removed the valve but it also wouldn't surprise me if it's mounted somewhere really awkward that you can't see.

You either need to run a new pipe (it doesn't have to be the Honda part, a generic hose of the right diameter would work cause it's just air running through there) or tightly cap/plug the hole.

Don't ride the bike with the hole exposed as it creates a massive vacuum leak that will make the engine run very lean (this is why it sounded so different), which makes very expensive things happen.

E: now I'm honestly not so sure, can you take a picture of the hose fitting on your bike? It might be a crank case ventilation pipe in which case blocking it off would be the wrong way to go

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 18, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I'll keep looking then, since the bike has the stock muffler. If that's the most likely reason to delete it doesn't look likely. I might be able to get ahold of the PO as well. Looks like I'll be riding my bicycle to work in the meantime. Thanks!

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I just sold my first bike. I'm not going to do the whole pie chart cost breakdown (unless there's interest), but here are the basics:

2013 Honda CBR250R

Purchased at dealer in 2021- 4126 miles - $3,042
Sold on Facebook in 2023 - 11,262 miles - $2,925

Over my ownership of the bike, I spent $12,180. This includes the bike itself, classes, tools, registration, gear, repairs, etc. (but not gas, because 65 mpg lol). You can subtract the sale price to get my net out of pocket cost. Obviously, things like gear and training are one-time costs or are transferrable to my next bike.

I sold the bike to a newbie and walked them through it. I threw in my old riding jacket and gloves. I think the price was fair because the bike is in better shape than when I bought it. From the dealer, it had some fall damage, which I fixed up. It also had some worn parts that I replaced.

Some thoughts - I bought the bike during covid when our local DMV was basically closed, so I had to buy from a dealer so I could at least get temporary plates. I probably could have saved some money in a private sale. Also, buying such a cheap bike ended up being a bit of a false economy because I ended up spending at least $1000 on a mechanic and on parts to fix it up. The next cheapest bike at that dealer was a newer Yamaha R3 for $4500 in much better shape. With hindsight, that may have been the better bargain, though it may have cost more to insure.

I was reluctant to do much work on the bike myself, so outsourcing so much work to a mechanic ended up being a pretty big expense. Doing more work on the bike myself, even after the investment in tools, would be a big money saver (except for the fact that I managed to gently caress up an oil change by breaking a bolt and had to have it towed - maybe that reluctance was warranted).

On balance, I'm glad I got this bike. It was a bit more expensive than I expected, but not a huge expenditure. Happy to answer any other questions.

I am now bike-less. I feel scared. Alone. Hold me.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Every bike you buy and sell comes with a lesson or two on how you could better have spent money on it (or things you shouldn't have ever spent money on). If coming out in the black on the other end is a goal you have, you definitely will have to do your own work in the future.

Your biggest lesson from this experience is to not ever sell your only working bike. Buy the next one, then sell the old one.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

T Zero posted:

I was reluctant to do much work on the bike myself, so outsourcing so much work to a mechanic ended up being a pretty big expense. Doing more work on the bike myself, even after the investment in tools, would be a big money saver (except for the fact that I managed to gently caress up an oil change by breaking a bolt and had to have it towed - maybe that reluctance was warranted).

On balance, I'm glad I got this bike. It was a bit more expensive than I expected, but not a huge expenditure. Happy to answer any other questions.

I am now bike-less. I feel scared. Alone. Hold me.
Six thousand miles ridden means you're a somewhat competent rider by now, at least knowledgeable in the type of riding you've been doing. My learner bike was also a little honda, 2016 CBR300R. I put similar mileage on it before I sold it to a newbie, hope the bike treated him as well as it treated me. I didn't like wrenching on that thing myself either. I had done most of my bolt stripping already on cars and bicycles and whatnot before I got into motos, but I hated messing with the plastic fairings. An oil/filter change by the book included removing a bunch of plastic and despite manuals and youtubes telling me where the clips where to and where to apply force there's a certain knack to it I never learned and it always felt like I would break something expensive - only broke a single clip during my ownership of the bike but I didn't like it. My second and current bike (2020 SV650) has very little plastic and a reputation for being mechanically sound, and what little wrenching I've done on it is much more pleasant. Oil changes are super simple by comparison, no fairings in the way at all. Unlike the honda which had an internal oil filter inside a pretty delicate housing the Suzuki has an external canister filter like on a car that's easily accessible and a drain plug that sits in the open. Even if you're a total wrenching newbie changing oil on a bike like that would be very hard to mess up if you used a torque wrench to avoid the great amount of gorilla torque it would take to strip out the drain plug threads.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

moxieman posted:

Your biggest lesson from this experience is to not ever sell your only working bike. Buy the next one, then sell the old one.

Eh. I'm fortunate in that I don't *need* a bike and the season is coming to an end, so I'm not in any hurry. In fact, I think one of the other lessons here is that being patient saves money. I was eager to buy my bike initially, so I ended up overpaying. I was in no rush to sell it, so I could afford to wait for a comparable offer. Also, having cash in hand from a sale helps me gauge what I can afford in my next bike.

Besides, between registration and insurance, having two bikes but only one rear end seems a bit wasteful.

T Zero fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 21, 2023

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Someone tell Jay Leno that

With the summer ending the sun is getting low in the sky and I can see my own shadow as I'm riding, meaning my biggest distraction is my own shadow because dang I look sexy as hell.

edit: I am two for two with thread titles hell yea!

Vino fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 22, 2023

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

T Zero posted:

Naw gently caress that reluctance

moxieman posted:

you definitely will have to do your own work in the future.

For real, buy tools as you need them, and try to do every bit of wrenching you can. I knew jack poo poo about vehicle maintenance as a teen, and will probably die knowing less than your average motorhead, but I had the advantage of being broke. This made me do things like replacing my own alternator with a rebuilt one, only to hook up the battery backwards and fry the "new" alternator dead. A few years later when I needed to do it again, it was still a miserable circus for other reasons, but I got it in and saved easily $200 on a service I had no money for, and this black obelisk rose out of the ground making me realize I could use the crowbar of my ancestors as a really long lever to keep the belt tight while I tightened things down.

My first bike was an irresponsible purchase, I was deeply in debt but had inherited $10k when my dad passed away, blew it on training and got a cheap old GS500e in solid running condition, and just did what I could myself out of necessity. This involved a sheared off oil filter cap bolt, a big goopy orange gasket squirting out of the crankcase, an ill-advised plastic fuel filter that melted from engine heat, took me way too long to spot that, and some super questionable bar-end choices after a crash.

After 30 years of shenannagins I'm still a rank amateur because I've mostly just cared about making my own rides go, but I have gradually acquired all the tools I need. Having the right tool and a long history of fuckups makes so many problems trivial, it's great.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've done as much of my own wrenching on my cars as possible, but I've also been fortunate to not drive any real clunkers that have needed much beyond routine work and I think the most labor intensive thing I've done was a wheel bearing replacement.

On the FZ6 though, man the kid I bought it off of I don't think did much of anything. I bought it two years ago when it had 14k miles and have put about 10k on it myself. Front tire was backwards, the coolant was more rust than water, one of the front calipers was stuck to where the one pad was down to the backing plate while the other pair looked barely worn in, the air filter was lmao levels of dirty, and it's got a new battery in now as well. I've overhauled the front brakes with caliper rebuilds, new EBC rotors and sintered pads, Galfer braided lines, and they still feel almost a bit mushy, but I guess that's as good as I'm gonna get with the old school twin piston sliders. The clutch pull was agonizingly lovely, but since it was my first bike I didn't realize how bad it actually was until the cable snapped and I replaced that with a new line.

I think my favorite remark I remember from him was "when it warms up it idles with a cool lopey sound", completely unaware that no you goof rear end, that's because the idle was way below spec.

I've dumped a lot of money in poo poo for changing my own tires, front and rear Pit Bull stands, but all that will work for other bikes for years to come.

Was thinking of selling and buying a proper sport tourer, but I'm already mostly there - the half fairing and windscreen, rubber pegs, aftermarket luggage, and the fenders that are twice as big than what comes on modern naked bikes.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Questions

What piece of physical equipment can I buy to help me make sure my tires are inflated

How do I keep my chin warm

Have I developed a bad habit in using the rear brake only if I only want to do a soft brake, so I can keep my hand in the throttle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pro option: an actual air compressor with a tank

Normal person option: a foot pump

IT man option: one of those electric pump things made of skittles and cheese off of AliExpress

Compact option: bicycle floor pump

Using just the rear brake for gentle slowing is in fact cool and good, it is far superior to the front brake at low speeds because it doesn't really change your steering geometry

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
1. Bicycle floor pump with pressure gauge.
2. Don't you live in LA? Wear a buff I guess, they feel nice.
3.??? You can operate the throttle and front brake at the same time. I only do so when revmatching downshifts but it's possible with some practice. But Yeah what slavvy said. Rear brake only is fine but it is a good habit to keep the front covered if you should end up needing more brakes in a hurry.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 28, 2023

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Don't use the front brake and the throttle at the same time (unless you're rev matching). I drag my rear brake in traffic a lot.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
A great big bushy beard.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I ride in the Winter a lot. Neck gaitor from a ski equipment shop, tucked into the chin strap of your helmet and hanging down below it, will do wonders for Winter riding. Keeping your hands warm is the next step...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I drag my heels for low to medium speed slowdowns.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Pro option: an actual air compressor with a tank

Normal person option: a foot pump

IT man option: one of those electric pump things made of skittles and cheese off of AliExpress

Compact option: bicycle floor pump

Best option: an air compressor from the same company that made your cordless drill/impact/other battery tools. Example:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

moxieman posted:

Best option: an air compressor from the same company that made your cordless drill/impact/other battery tools. Example:

I've got a mate with a full set of these Ryobi tools which he uses frequently both at home and at work and let's say he's taken full advantage of the lifetime warranty several times over

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

lezyne makes wonderfully high-quality bicycle pumps, both floor and portable. i already had them from years of cycling and they've been enough that i haven't bothered buying anything electric

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Cactus Ghost posted:

lezyne makes wonderfully high-quality bicycle pumps, both floor and portable. i already had them from years of cycling and they've been enough that i haven't bothered buying anything electric

Yeah for real. I have a pretty cheap but high enough quality floor pump that was like €25 many years ago. I'm blessed with not very leaky moto tires at this time but whenever I hook up the pump to check pressure and it's 0.1 bar low it's 1-3 pumps to bring it up to spec. I do it on my car too but then it's more like 10-20 pumps per tire. Still no big deal IMO but I can see how some people would prefer a battery powered compressor for that. Floor pump works well enough that I see it as a good and convenient alternative to the free air at all the gas stations where I live. They're also very quiet, dead nuts reliable unless you get a really chintzy one and never low on battery either, just a great tool to have.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Wow lotsa opinions on that, thank you. Air compressor ordered. For the record I don't apply throttle and brake at once and I do keep the front brake covered in situations where I'm at any risk. This is just for quick alternations between brake and accelerator, like if splitting.

VVV Thank you but when I don't live in LA I live in Miami, I'll probably find something thinner for the winter months :P VVV

Vino fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 1, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Neck gaiter talk. For near freezing i do dual layer. a thin merino balaclava and either a wind blocker or a fleece fluffy neck gaiter.

For total overkill you have klims arctic and glacier

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

moxieman posted:

I've got the larger version of Ryobi's air pump and it works great. I think the only difference in function is that mine also has a low-pressure outlet for filling beach toys, air mattresses and such, which I've used exactly once in four years.

e:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah that was not intended as a recommendation for Ryobi or that particular model, just a comment that most people have a cordless drill already, so buying an air compressor that uses the same battery is very convenient.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My riding has improved dramatically since I thought I was pretty okay (now I think I might actually be pretty okay, but will probably look back with terror in another year), but my biggest newbie problem is figuring out what’s wrong if there’s anything off.

Which makes sense. I learned how to diagnose the lovely police auction cars I used to buy for $600 by experiencing all the ways the previous poo poo heaps had fallen apart.

I haven’t ridden a similar number of lovely bikes to learn the hard way.

So I keep thinking it’s something complicated I found after scouring the internet for similar experiences instead of checking the most goddamn obvious thing.

I work in the medical field, so I know I’m doing the mechanical equivalent of going to Doctor Google (who always thinks you have cancer).

Earlier this year, that meant thinking I was going to have to go hunting for electrical gremlins when it turns out a battery terminal was just a little loose. Today I fixed a problem I was sure was the ECU needing to be reset when all I had to do was adjust my clutch cable a bit.

I’ll never be a master mechanic, but hopefully I can at least catch on that I should look for the easiest explanation and start there. Try the thing that takes 30 seconds before I pull out a multimeter.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

one thing thats kind of a curveball for me is carburetors, i have literally never owned a car with a carb and carbs are a whole rear end category of maintainance and tune-up that essentially doesn't exist for anything fuel injected

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carbs are cool and good and will put hairs on your chest and make you a man (even if you're a girl) and nothing can match the perfect Bellissimo al dente feel of a well set up carb

But you gotta suffer first

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvys not wrong. Well set up carbs are, imo, better than fuel injection, from a responsiveness and rideability standpoint

BUT, they are not “beep boop plug a computer in” easy to set up. The flip side of that coin is jets only cost a couple bucks and FI programmers are hundreds if you don’t already have a gameboy color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The flip side of that coin is jets only cost a couple bucks and FI programmers are hundreds if you don’t already have a gameboy color

Wait, are you just using hyperbole here, or is there really a game/application available to put in a GameBoy Color to tune FI computers? This is triggering something in my memory.