Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I looked up upgrade prices on my phone carrier here in the UK for the 15s and I think I might actually get a Pro when it's still less than £50 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is anyone else having issues with parental controls? I set a daily time limit for my kid's social media apps and like clockwork, within a couple days, the limit deletes itself.

And no, they don't have the passcode or guessed it. I'll even set the limit right after I change the passcode, and still, poof, within a couple days. Just didn't know if there was some wonky way to get around the Screen Time controls that I'm not thinking about.

I had screen time just stop enforcing limits a few weeks back. Disabling and renabling seemed to fix it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Question about those deals through carriers. I'm looking to get a new phone number anyway, and AT&T has a promotion where if I open a new line and trade in my 13 Pro, I get the 15 Pro "free", with the money from my 13 Pro financing the 15 Pro for 24 months. Does this mean I am locked into them for 24 months?

Or, if I chose to get a larger amount of storage, am I locked in for 24 months or can I choose to just pay off the difference of what I owe?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just wondering: does USB-C charge faster than Lightning? What are the specs on that? Like USB 2 USB-C in the regular 15 vs. Lightning and USB 3 USB-C in the 15 Pro vs. Lightning.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

Just wondering: does USB-C charge faster than Lightning? What are the specs on that? Like USB 2 USB-C in the regular 15 vs. Lightning and USB 3 USB-C in the 15 Pro vs. Lightning.

The iPhone 15 spec pages do not list any changes to fast charging speeds and there was no mention of it in the keynote.
Probably won't know until someone runs some tests.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Question about those deals through carriers. I'm looking to get a new phone number anyway, and AT&T has a promotion where if I open a new line and trade in my 13 Pro, I get the 15 Pro "free", with the money from my 13 Pro financing the 15 Pro for 24 months. Does this mean I am locked into them for 24 months?

Or, if I chose to get a larger amount of storage, am I locked in for 24 months or can I choose to just pay off the difference of what I owe?

ATT is actually 36 months, so enjoy not being able to upgrade for another 3 years!

It's what I do, but I steal my kid's upgrades to upgrades for myself if there's a new phone that I want.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
You can also pay $6/month to trade your phone in and upgrade at 12 months. I believe you also sign another 36 month contract though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Ah, right, it is 36 months or the additional fee. What's the general consensus on doing these carrier upgrade deals vs. what I've been, which is using AT&T's prepaid plan + buying the an unlocked phone outright and trading in via Apple every few years?

I don't like the idea of being locked into to things and the prepaid plans are a little cheaper, but also AT&T works extremely well in my area compared to the other carriers so I don't really have plans to change services.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you’re gonna stick with ATT, what about apples upgrade program?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone else not get a confirmation email? I was charged for both iPhones I ordered this morning but never got any email.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you’re gonna stick with ATT, what about apples upgrade program?

Well the enticing thing about AT&T's offer is getting $1,000 for trading in my 13 Pro. I never looked much into the carrier finance plans before because their monthly fees are higher than prepaid. But AT&T finally offers an unlimited post-paid plan that is the same price as their pre-paid unlimited plan (with auto pay) for one line only. Which is perfect for me. It says it's $50 a month, but are there added fees? I know I'd be adding whatever I owe on the phone on top of that plus the fee for more frequent upgrades, but is there anything else?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Ah, right, it is 36 months or the additional fee. What's the general consensus on doing these carrier upgrade deals vs. what I've been, which is using AT&T's prepaid plan + buying the an unlocked phone outright and trading in via Apple every few years?

I don't like the idea of being locked into to things and the prepaid plans are a little cheaper, but also AT&T works extremely well in my area compared to the other carriers so I don't really have plans to change services.

I got my wife an iPhone 13 Pro using AT&T's $1k trade-in deal at the time (same as they're offering now). You're locked in for 3 years, so she had 1 year left. I wanted to upgrade her to a 15 Pro, and as part of AT&T's pre-order process I paid off the remaining balance and will now trade in her 13 Pro for the 15 Pro.

It's a slightly better deal than if I paid the full MSRP for the 15 Pro and sold her 13 Pro privately. I'm losing out on 1/3rd of my original $1k trade-in, but I probably would have only been able to sell the 13 Pro for ~$650 at best (her screen has a lot of micro-scratches). I'd rather take the guaranteed payout from the new $1k trade-in than struggle to find a legitimate private buyer. The real downside is I'm locked in for a new 3 years, but the risk of wanting to switch carriers is low.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

gregday posted:

Anyone else not get a confirmation email? I was charged for both iPhones I ordered this morning but never got any email.

I got a confirmation email about 10 minutes after ordering. Check the orders page on the Apple Store to see if the purchases are in there.

gregday
May 23, 2003

jabro posted:

I got a confirmation email about 10 minutes after ordering. Check the orders page on the Apple Store to see if the purchases are in there.

Yep, all there. Just didn't get any email.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Euphoriaphone posted:

I got my wife an iPhone 13 Pro using AT&T's $1k trade-in deal at the time (same as they're offering now). You're locked in for 3 years, so she had 1 year left. I wanted to upgrade her to a 15 Pro, and as part of AT&T's pre-order process I paid off the remaining balance and will now trade in her 13 Pro for the 15 Pro.

It's a slightly better deal than if I paid the full MSRP for the 15 Pro and sold her 13 Pro privately. I'm losing out on 1/3rd of my original $1k trade-in, but I probably would have only been able to sell the 13 Pro for ~$650 at best (her screen has a lot of micro-scratches). I'd rather take the guaranteed payout from the new $1k trade-in than struggle to find a legitimate private buyer. The real downside is I'm locked in for a new 3 years, but the risk of wanting to switch carriers is low.

Oh ok, so like, if for example I bought the base model 15 Pro (128gb), this makes the phone "free" to me from my $1,000 trade in 13 Pro. There would be nothing to pay off, so next year I could in theory just upgrade again and start another 3 year contract?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Oh ok, so like, if for example I bought the base model 15 Pro (128gb), this makes the phone "free" to me from my $1,000 trade in 13 Pro. There would be nothing to pay off, so next year I could in theory just upgrade again and start another 3 year contract?
Your $1000 credits are spread out over your three year contract with AT&T. You get a tiny installment of it every month with each bill.

If you try the same thing again next year — trade in your 15 Pro phone to AT&T and get new credits — they’ll burn your remaining two years of credit. So you’ll effectively have gotten only $333 of credits for sending them your 13 Pro.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

Your $1000 credits are spread out over your three year contract with AT&T. You get a tiny installment of it every month with each bill.

If you try the same thing again next year — trade in your 15 Pro phone to AT&T and get new credits — they’ll burn your remaining two years of credit. So you’ll effectively have gotten only $333 of credits for sending them your 13 Pro.

Ahhh. Right.

Thanks for the help guys, the carrier contracts have always been confusing to me. By design, I assume.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The one thing you can be sure about is all their schemes make them money off you.. there are no actual bargains.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shredder posted:

My friend has an iphone and wants to take dirty pictures. I found the hidden album, but it's my understanding that this syncs with iCloud, and she has other devices on her account that her children use, so I assume these will sync up with all her devices.

What's the best way to go about just keeping photos/videos locally but hidden and requiring a password?

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah that’s a better way but it sucks if your kids have a bunch of game state under your Apple ID since there’s no good way to transfer it all

She's going to have to create separate Apple IDs for her kids (and add them to her family - not strictly required but she might as well do it) at some point anyway, so might as well start now.

She could also turn off iCloud Photos on the kids' iPads, but better to do it the proper way.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
My wife still has an XR and is totally happy with it EXCEPT for the camera being hot garbage. My initial plan was going to be to give her my 13 Pro and upgrade myself to the 15 Pro. But I’m super ‘meh’ on the 15 Pro, so I think we’ll just upgrade her to the 15 vanilla for “free” thanks to Verizon’s trade in.

Will the vanilla 15’s camera take photos that are better than, or at least comparable to, my 13 Pro? I’m tired of her asking for my phone all the time to take pictures :saddowns:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

OldSenileGuy posted:

My wife still has an XR and is totally happy with it EXCEPT for the camera being hot garbage. My initial plan was going to be to give her my 13 Pro and upgrade myself to the 15 Pro. But I’m super ‘meh’ on the 15 Pro, so I think we’ll just upgrade her to the 15 vanilla for “free” thanks to Verizon’s trade in.

Will the vanilla 15’s camera take photos that are better than, or at least comparable to, my 13 Pro? I’m tired of her asking for my phone all the time to take pictures :saddowns:

I moved from a XR to a 14 and the images are far better. I imagine a 15 should be even more substantial change with the move from 12 to 48MP.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Oh yeah, I have no doubts the 15 will have substantially better images than the XR. I’m just wondering how it’ll compare to the 13 Pro because if the 13 Pro still has better pictures then it won’t solve my issue of her constantly taking my phone to take pictures

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I think you’ll be fine, resolution alone is huge, it’s just missing teleobjective

Sorry for the German but you’ll get the gist I guess

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Yeah I mean you're definitely making a good point.

Personally I wanted a 15 Pro Max (my phone is a 12 Pro Max) and I'm therefore eligible for an upgrade through Verizon, theoretically, but I'm on a 5G family plan that is apparently too poor-person to qualify for the promo pricing.

My phone is also hosed up so they want to give me like $200 for it.

This has to be a newer occurrence because I got the promo just fine last time I upgraded to the newest iphone :shrug:

The numbers just don't add up; they want $45 a month for me to upgrade my line to a premium plan, which offers almost nothing! My current plan has unlimited 5G data and 5GB hot spot, the new plan is barely better. I guess they just want people off these better, cheaper plans?

If you get the promo they take your phone even if it's hosed up and give you the full promo savings, which is $830.

$830 for the trade in is nice, but $45 a month extra (for just my line not even the rest of my family) is approaching two loving grand for the 3 years that the $830 promo credit would pay back.

I hate phone companies. I honestly don't even understand what the upgrade eligible verbiage even means at this point, what do I get? It feels like nothing because I'm... on the wrong 5G unlimited data plan? The phone bill for my family is like $400 a month and they have the stones to say it's not a premium plan. Ok lol

Do you want me to check your account ? This could all be the case and you don’t qualify , but I could at least give you a better answer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ahhh. Right.

Thanks for the help guys, the carrier contracts have always been confusing to me. By design, I assume.

xzzy posted:

The one thing you can be sure about is all their schemes make them money off you.. there are no actual bargains.

Everyone is correct that the carriers are deliberately confusing, but I don’t think people are considering that on the flip side that for me, and me specifically, it provides excellent job security.

Until they eventually outsource me :negative:

iPhone launch #13 for me, this one was way busier than last year. More people got the regular vs pro than normal , that surprised me.

Pro and Pro Maxes are naturally backordered to end of the month to middle of October already, which we will see whether that is accurate or if they’ll get more inventory early.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Duckman2008 posted:

iPhone launch #13 for me, this one was way busier than last year. More people got the regular vs pro than normal , that surprised me.

Eh I’m not surprised really. Just looking at the iPhone comparison tool on Apple’s website it looks like the only things the Pro gets over the regular are: 120Hz screen, always on screen, and a telephoto lens.

There’s other stuff of course but they’re all spec bumps that most people don’t care about or will even notice (A16 vs A17 etc) and I can’t imagine anyone would buy a phone specifically for the small bit of metal it’s made out of.

Also considering how people janitor their phone batteries I can’t imagine the AOD being a positive selling point so all in all it’s really only the 120Hz display and the telephoto. And the telephoto prolly doesn’t matter to most people as long as they can zoom in and if you’ve never had a 120Hz screen before you prolly dgaf for it either.

I decided against upgrading this year but if I did I definitely would have gone from 12 Pro to 15 Regular especially cause the colors are better.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 16, 2023

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Will the new iOS allow what they demoed at some Apple event where I can put my iPhone in a cradle and FaceTime through Apple TV? Are they going to sell cradles or will people just lean them up against something on the furniture? Legit excited for this as facetiming family to family is a chore.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The 14 was a pretty garbage update over the 13, so not surprising if people who skipped the upgrade last year are going for the 15 now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’ve been wanting what they’re calling Standby for like 15 years.

My Motorola Droid in 2009 had a little stand that would active a docked mode and turn it into a fashionable little alarm clock calendar thing. I don’t know why it took Apple this long to do it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve made a shortcut to turn on the “Switch Control” accessibility feature alongside a few other things but for some reason, switch control only turns on very rarely when I run it. If it didn’t work at all I could try to rule something out but it’s unpredictable as to when it’ll work.

Any ideas? (Or alternatively, any better way to have my iPhone or iPad work as an auto-clicker for gacha games?)

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 16, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

The 14 was a pretty garbage update over the 13, so not surprising if people who skipped the upgrade last year are going for the 15 now.

This is a good point.

Rolo posted:

My Motorola Droid in 2009 had a little stand that would active a docked mode and turn it into a fashionable little alarm clock calendar thing. I don’t know why it took Apple this long to do it.

Apple was too busy having the courage to remove the headphone jack.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
It is weird they never took advantage of an always on display or screensaver type stuff considering they've been using OLED for 6 years now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Seriously. I didn’t care much until I got this sexy little Anker MagSafe stand for next to my bed. I’ve been reaching behind my night stand for a cord for years and I never threw money at the annoyance until now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rolo posted:

My first smartphone was the Motorola Atrix, aka the phone they sold as a laptop replacement that came with a dock you could use and connect a keyboard and mouse (that I still have) into. I never used it for that but the stand did charge the phone and prop it up so sat happily next to my bed for the entire time I owned it. I absolutely want a stand to use a phone like an alarm clock again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MagSa...rd_i=B0B5XWJW36

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CG8P8X5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I got the Anker one and so far recommend it. Charges my phone, watch and pods through magnet magic. The belkin one charges faster and doesn’t use old USB A charging for the watch but it’s pretty spicy on the wallet.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-MagSa...rd_i=B0B5XWJW36

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09CG8P8X5?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I got the Anker one and so far recommend it. Charges my phone, watch and pods through magnet magic. The belkin one charges faster and doesn’t use old USB A charging for the watch but it’s pretty spicy on the wallet.

Can you turn the LEDs off? I don't want any indicator lights in my bedroom

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Hed posted:

I don't think so, luckily its high enough up and I'm blind enough that my eyes don't catch them.

Also I'm sure they will eventually but it would be nice to have more than 2 widgets in standby. I don't need half my phone just to see what the battery is at.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hed posted:

Just get these to solve all your problems

LightDims Black Out Edition - Light Blocking LED covers/Light Dimming Sheets for Routers, Electronics and Appliances and more. Blocks 100% of Light, in Minimal Packaging. https://a.co/d/dmBsxU7

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Meanwhile the soviets just used electrical tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

withak posted:

Meanwhile the soviets just used electrical tape.

It works but doesn’t look as classy and tends to start curling up at the edges. LightDims are a pro choice