Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

double nine posted:

it's like a goddamn painting and makes no sense out of context

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

double nine posted:

it's like a goddamn painting and makes no sense out of context

I'd put that on my wall for sure

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Lily has heavy "Oh god we need to make the shooting day we can't just drink and poo poo-talk each other for 7 hours" energy in this one, dare I say slightly teacher-y?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 15, 2023

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh man, I really want to see the rest of season so bad now

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Now that Mentopolis is wrapped up, there is one lingering question.

What the gently caress kind of accent did Danny Fucks have?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
french

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

I Am Fowl posted:

It sounded very much like a Matt Berry impression to me.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

It sounded very much like a Matt Berry impression to me.

Yeah, the first thing I thought was a Jackie Daytona impression

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

I Am Fowl posted:

I believe that’s just Freddie Wong’s best attempt at a high-falutin old timely accent. It’s basically the same voice he used to play an arrogant silent film star in the Dungeon & Daddies podcast’s excellent Call of Cthulhu mini-arc, Mountains of Madness.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Solid ending to Mentopolis. Do they ever do sequel seasons for these? They left a potential sequel hook in that they never actually dealt with the key that The Fix swallowed.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fantasy High and Unsleeping City both got sequels, don't know if they do them for the shorter series.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Having been satiated with a Crown of Candy followup, I'm still eagerly awaiting the Starstruck sequel. As it seems the cast is too, given a few of them still sign off with "see you in the stars". Man, what a good season that was.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Halfway through Crown of Candy. It’s still good but I’m definitely enjoying it less than Fantasy High/The Seven.

I think it’s because the players are almost always reacting to an immediate threat created by Brennan and don’t seem to have much agency to proactively work on their own agenda.

The world and lore are cool though. Brennan can’t help himself from placing his philosophy degree in the middle of things.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Having been satiated with a Crown of Candy followup, I'm still eagerly awaiting the Starstruck sequel. As it seems the cast is too, given a few of them still sign off with "see you in the stars". Man, what a good season that was.

Starstruck is my favorite main campaign, by a mile. Though I think Mentopolis might be my favorite overall because it's just short and sweet and wonderful. Plus it's now absolutely my first recommendation for where people should start because goddamn does Mentopolis start and never stop.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Looks like Brennan did an interview about Mentopolis, this time focusing a bit more on its political overtones. Worth watching IMO. It was just posted yesterday but apparently they recorded it a few weeks ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmdl8gqils

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
STOAT SEASON

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yay new season!
Yay Aabria GM!
Yay (:checks faq:)...
...5E. Sigh.

(Will still check it out, of course.)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
There are...quite a few systems designed specifically for this setup.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My extremely hot takes in order of terribleness:
I don't care about which system is used.
Dimension 20 seasons that are less comedic are the weaker seasons.
I don't like Brennan as a PC.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 20, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My extremely hot takes in order of terribleness:
I don't care about which system is used.
Dimension 20 seasons that are less comedic are the weaker seasons.
I don't like Brennan as a PC.

absolutely wild. i love brennan as a pc

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Aabria doesn't do the funny voices :(

Not that jazzed but I'm sure I'll watch and enjoy it.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I'm pumped for Jasper on a bigger stage - he's great on 3BH, and I wanna see how he meshes with this group.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

absolutely wild. i love brennan as a pc

I think his players always come off too...intentional? His performance always comes across as "I'm taking all of this very seriously (even if it's a comedy bit.)" Works really well for me for a GM, not so much as a PC. But I definitely recognize its personal preference.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've liked the other campaigns that I've watched so far but Starstruck rocketed to the top around Sundry Sidney's introduction and then just stayed there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

He's incredible - but - partly because he owns the space and beats so well he can kind of takeover stories. That Harry Potter limited run was a perfect example where all the other players really faded. The tea party was better tho, so idk. There's probably something to psychoanalyze that as a hyper-competitive person, there isn't as much serendipity to his plays as agents of chaos like pretty much all of the original cast. I imagine it's really hard to turn off the switch that you're there to set up balls for other people to play with - vs. just being a kid playing in a candy shop with someone elses balls.

Also surprised they aren't using one of the many, many redwall-inspired systems for this. Super doesn't matter, but interesting.

Only true disappointment is that this means we aren't getting a Starstruck sequel until 2024 probably.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
He may have overshadowed the whole thing but "Evan Kelmp Blasts a Kid into the Underworld" was literally why I started watching the Dimension 20 games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OH5Kz3uXh8

I wanted some *context*

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Just went from the new Dirty Laundry(hilarious) to starting Starstruck and Lou says "one time I was swimming where I shouldn't have been" and I about fell in the floor

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

YggiDee posted:

He may have overshadowed the whole thing but "Evan Kelmp Blasts a Kid into the Underworld" was literally why I started watching the Dimension 20 games.

I wanted some *context*

Yeah, it's honestly a terrible thing in terms of actually playing an RPG campaign, but it makes for fantastic theater.

Also, the thing that animatic misses that's balls to the wall amazing is that Evan had to roll and then spend adversity tokens in order to NOT blast that kid entirely out of existence.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

YggiDee posted:

I wanted some *context*

Yeah I know Evan Kelmp kinda took over that story but it's because he was fuckin phenomenal and weird. Brennan was way more low-key in the Fae campaign and looks to be setting himself up as the responsible parental figure for Stoat Saga which will hopefully give the other crazies at the table a chance to shine.

Kinda weird to go with 5e for it but yolo, Aabria has shown she'll flex it or homebrew things to fit better into the universe.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I understand that there are other systems out there other than d&d but the piggies gotta get their slop or they get rowdy.

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

Are there any good Redwall-inspired systems out there that use grid-based combat? I'm a sucker for Rick Perry's sets and always end up missing them in the non-5e seasons.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cairn, Humblewood if you like 5e.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Looks like a big theater kid season, no thanks.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Looks like a big theater kid season, no thanks.

Man, I have bad news for you about literally everyone in improv comedy.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Man, I have bad news for you about literally everyone in improv comedy.

Yeah sure but there’s usually no tearful monologues in improv comedy

Conclusions
Oct 18, 2003

The ball of yarn will be on your desk by Friday.
Half Watership Down,
Half Animals of Farthing Wood.

This season could wreck some emotions.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah sure but there’s usually no tearful monologues in improv comedy

buddy

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I haven't listented to it yet but Trapp's the guest on the latest episode of Hank's podcast Dear Hank and John (John's not there this week).

Also very tangential but I spent the entire last episode of Star Trek: Lower Decks going 'the voice of that friendly alien computer sounds familiar' and it turned out it was Oscar Montoya.

Conclusions posted:

Half Watership Down,
Half Animals of Farthing Wood.

Is there much difference?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 21, 2023

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MrQueasy posted:

I understand that there are other systems out there other than d&d but the piggies gotta get their slop or they get rowdy.

this is absolutely a big reason Because Nerds and I also think Aabria wants to show off how well she can pull off a classic full d&d system with full combat scenarios, miniatures, the works (Fey & Flowers was more socially oriented with a bunch of Jane Austen systems thrown in).

I’m new to D20 thanks to Dungeons & Drag Queens so will be focusing on watching Starstruck for the first time and will circle back to this season later :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aabria has GM'd two lightweight ruleset roleplaying games for D20, if they're going for full D&D 5e for this one I assume there's an actual reason and intent to exploit it beyond 'this is the default system'.