Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Would rather not bring back a deadly disease just to prove a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Ugh...my whole family finally contracted Covid.

Not as bad as I expected, me and my wife were fully vaxxed. My daughter was not, but she's 5, so even though she had it worse than us, it was not so bad.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

TealShark posted:

The latest variant has started to spread quite rapidly in North America (I can’t figure out why, we’re so cautious!), so I’m sure it’s just them going into full panic mode that mandatory lock downs at gunpoint with forced microchip injections are coming back, or whatever weird reality existed in their heads over the past few years.

So there a new variant going around? My brother and his whole family got it last week and afaik they're as vaxxed as can be.

Is this one they were aware of with the fall vaccine update?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bellmaker posted:

So there a new variant going around? My brother and his whole family got it last week and afaik they're as vaxxed as can be.

Is this one they were aware of with the fall vaccine update?

Yes, and not really.

The upcoming shots are targeted at XBB.1.5, which was dominant in January but no longer is.

The bivalent shots targeted BA.5, which was dominant at the time the shots launched one year year ago, though only a few weeks afterwards. This one is less timely, but it’s better than what’s currently in the fridge.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I was going to ask, it's been just under a year since I got the bivalent Moderna booster, is there any point in finagling another booster shot at this point?

VVV thx!

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 31, 2023

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mozi posted:

I was going to ask, it's been just under a year since I got the bivalent Moderna booster, is there any point in finagling another booster shot at this point?

There should be new ones in like a month

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It is likely covid shots will settle into the same pattern as flu shots- every year there is an updated booster that strongly counters last year's dominant strains and is probably somewhat effective against this year's new strains

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

I’m gonna get the new monovalent XBB one when comes out in September, regulations willing, seems pretty worth it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Would rather not bring back a deadly disease just to prove a point.

I don't think you get a choice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ve only ever gotten the original round of shots when they first came out and then a booster like 1 year after that. So I guess the last time I got a covid shot/booster was early 2022? Somehow I’m still one of those people who have never gotten covid.

I have a GP intake appointment later this month so I was just gonna ask for a flu and covid booster. Wondering if I can just get a single shot covid booster or if I needed to ask for something else since I haven’t gotten any boosters in a long time.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
You probably want to wait for the updated shot, it'll be out soon. Ideal time imo to take is second half of October, same for the flu shot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

You probably want to wait for the updated shot, it'll be out soon. Ideal time imo to take is second half of October, same for the flu shot.

I don’t know if I want to wait though. I work in office now and school just started. I already hear assholes sniffling and clearing their throats at work.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t know if I want to wait though. I work in office now and school just started. I already hear assholes sniffling and clearing their throats at work.

Getting the old bivalent shot doesn't really appreciably increase your resistance to the new variants floating around, it forces your immune system to practice fighting variants that are long gone, and it'll keep you from getting the new booster for at least three-six months. Mask up and wait a few weeks.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Oracle posted:

Getting the old bivalent shot doesn't really appreciably increase your resistance to the new variants floating around, it forces your immune system to practice fighting variants that are long gone, and it'll keep you from getting the new booster for at least three-six months. Mask up and wait a few weeks.

Are any countries in Europe even still doing regular vaccination? And do new vaccines actually roll out anywhere in Europe fast enough to be not totally worthless by the time they're available? I was under the impression that the USA was one of the only countries still doing somewhat-timely boosters or anything for COVID. You can get one in Switzerland but it costs $70 and have to go to one of a very small handful of locations that will even still do it. Zurich appears to have one COVID vaccination site in the entire canton, which gives "the Comirnaty Bivalent Original/Omicron BA.4-5" which was made available for the first time in mid June 2023, a date which looks like it is 6 months after BA.5 was last relevant.

It kind of seems like paying $70 to get a flu vaccine from 2021, today? If I'm not missing something, basically I can pay $70, take off half a day, have a 20-30% chance of feeling crummy for a day or so, and in turn I get a statistically-zero reduced chance of symptomatic infection, and a questionable reduction in severity?

I got COVID for the second time a few weeks ago in Japan from hiking Fuji, was sniffing/coughing for a couple days and super tired for about 10 days. A booster to not have to do that every year and a half or two would be great. I don't follow that closely anymore, but everything I'd seen before about the boosters seemed pretty unconvincing, at least certainly for mild illness which is the aspect I'm more personally invested in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In the UK it seems only the elderly, people in risk groups and carers can get a booster, but this country is particularly damned

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Saladman posted:

Are any countries in Europe even still doing regular vaccination? And do new vaccines actually roll out anywhere in Europe fast enough to be not totally worthless by the time they're available? I was under the impression that the USA was one of the only countries still doing somewhat-timely boosters or anything for COVID. You can get one in Switzerland but it costs $70 and have to go to one of a very small handful of locations that will even still do it. Zurich appears to have one COVID vaccination site in the entire canton, which gives "the Comirnaty Bivalent Original/Omicron BA.4-5" which was made available for the first time in mid June 2023, a date which looks like it is 6 months after BA.5 was last relevant.

It kind of seems like paying $70 to get a flu vaccine from 2021, today? If I'm not missing something, basically I can pay $70, take off half a day, have a 20-30% chance of feeling crummy for a day or so, and in turn I get a statistically-zero reduced chance of symptomatic infection, and a questionable reduction in severity?

I got COVID for the second time a few weeks ago in Japan from hiking Fuji, was sniffing/coughing for a couple days and super tired for about 10 days. A booster to not have to do that every year and a half or two would be great. I don't follow that closely anymore, but everything I'd seen before about the boosters seemed pretty unconvincing, at least certainly for mild illness which is the aspect I'm more personally invested in.

Fresh off the presses:

quote:

The U.K. drug regulator said on Tuesday it has approved an updated COVID-19 vaccine by Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech that targets only the Omicron XBB.1.5 subvariant.

The vaccine, which like their other COVID shots will also be sold under brand Comirnaty, has been approved for use in individuals aged 6 months and above, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said.

MHRA’s approval for the shot follows the European regulator’s clearance last week.

Besides Pfizer-BioNTech, other vaccine makers Moderna and Novavax have also created so-called monovalent versions of their shots that target only the XBB.1.5 subvariant of the virus.

While the U.S. expects to deploy all three vaccines in the fall season, the U.K. plans to deploy the mRNA vaccines by Pfizer BioNTech and Moderna for the autumn immunization campaign.
So sadly, no Novavax for UKers.

quote:

From 11 September, those most at risk, including care home residents and people who are immunosuppressed, will be offered their covid vaccine first, followed by other groups including carers, pregnant women, health and social care staff, and adults over 65.

Wherever possible, flu and covid-19 vaccinations should be offered at the same time for operational expediency and in line with public health recommendations, officials said.

Steve Russell, NHS England’s chief delivery officer and national director for vaccinations, said, “While we know that flu and covid usually hit hardest in December and January, the new covid variant presents a greater risk now, which is why we will be ensuring as many people as possible are vaccinated against covid sooner. To support the fast tracked delivery, vaccine providers will be given additional payments for delivering covid vaccines before the end of October.”

So it looks like after the most vulnerable have their shot they may open it up later in the year for the rest of you.

It does look like Germany at least is planning on rolling out the new boosters in the fall. Just a question on to which populations; the matter is in front of the Bunde (as of end of August). The Standing Vaccination Commission in Germany now only recommends booster vaccinations to certain groups, preferably in the fall. These include people aged 60 and over, people with certain previous illnesses from the age of six months, nursing and health staff and relatives of high-risk patients.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Oracle posted:

Fresh off the presses:

Wait, US is getting access to monovalent formulations without the ancestral? If so maybe I'll boost this cycle after all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Wait, US is getting access to monovalent formulations without the ancestral? If so maybe I'll boost this cycle after all.

That’s… the whole point of the updated booster? It was decided back in June? All the soon to be released new boosters are going to be monovalent and based on XBB 1.5.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As a part of my discussion of how the antivaxx movement is at root driven by profit and the sal of alternate products, consider the overlap between the antivaxx "Brownstone Institute" and one example of another project from some of its leadership, The Wellness Company Canada and its product, Signature Series Spike Support Formula.

Oh also it appears the Institute is probably a project itself, of the AIER. They run a lot of this thing.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 7, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oracle posted:

NPR says new boosters have been approved rolling out this week. Are these the boosters I should get or are these the old ones?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

NPR says new boosters have been approved rolling out this week. Are these the boosters I should get or are these the old ones?

These should be the new ones. Look for notation like “2023-2024 booster” when booking your appointment. Walgreens stopped booking for the old one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

I AM GRANDO posted:

These should be the new ones. Look for notation like “2023-2024 booster” when booking your appointment. Walgreens stopped booking for the old one.
Walgreens just said "this season's"

I snagged my family appointments on the 23rd of this month - so I'll just hope they get it right.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

CVS near me seems to be the fastest to post appointments in my area. I was able to get ones scheduled for Sunday but they won't allow me to schedule one for my youngest daughter (10 years old) which I found odd. I'm going to reach out to her pediatrician and see if she can get the shot there though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah on Walgreens it just says COVID-19 Moderna (Spikevax) or Pfizer (COMIRNATY).

I have an appointment with my PCP in the first week of October so I guess ill just wait until then and ask them about it.

E: Actually CVS says “COVID-19 2023-2024 (Moderna/Pfizer)” so I’ll just schedule with them. I can choose either Moderna or Pfizer for this Saturday. Does it matter which one I choose

E2: scheduled for Moderna + flu vaccine yay

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I snagged my family appointments on the 23rd of this month - so I'll just hope they get it right.

By that time they should have it right, the CDC outright revoked authorization of the old bivalent so they’ll be throwing those out.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

dwarf74 posted:

I think it’s the new one. I’ve been checking Walgreens all week and they weren’t booking and said old vaccine appointments were cancelled. After seeing the thread I checked just now and was able to schedule an appointment.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can you drink the same day/hours after getting a covid shot?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't see why not. You might not feel like it after about 12 hours depending on how you react to the shots.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

From the USCE thread it seems like DeSantis has had his govt recommended people under 65 to NOT get the vaccine in the great state of Florida. Hope you FL goons can still access it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Boris Galerkin posted:

No clear evidence that it is bad, but alcohol consumption does affect how well the immune system works. The bigger issue is that - barring being an alcoholic - drinking is mainly a maskless group activity, where the booster would not have had time to do its thing before a potential exposure. Also sometimes people feel like rear end after getting a shot, which would probably make drinking a really lovely time.

Source on the first sentence: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/alcohol-after-covid-vaccine

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Boris Galerkin posted:

From the USCE thread it seems like DeSantis has had his govt recommended people under 65 to NOT get the vaccine in the great state of Florida. Hope you FL goons can still access it.

Yep, the guidance is here:
https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/20230913-booster-guidance-final.pdf

Associated press release is here:
https://www.flgov.com/2023/09/13/governor-desantis-hosts-discussion-about-covid-boosters-with-state-surgeon-general-and-health-experts/

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

What a oval office

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hey, I'm just linking documents here

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Local Epidemiologist Looked Into Best Times to Get Boosted After Infection/Previous Booster

quote:

How long after infection/vaccination should I wait?
This is tricky.

We have frustratingly scarce scientific guidance on timing. What we do have tells us this:

Minimum wait: 2-3 months. A Covid-19 vaccine doesn’t add much benefit within 2-3 months of infection. We don’t have to wait 2-3 months after infection—we won’t “exhaust” or “overwhelm” our immune system. But waiting will ensure we broaden B cells (our second line of defense; our antibody factory that stores some long-term-memory). With an updated vaccine formula, we want our factory updated.

Maximum wait 8-12 months: The longer we wait, the more we get out of the vaccine. One study found that waiting 8 months increased neutralizing antibodies 11 times more than waiting 3 months after infection. Another study found a 12-month interval improved vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization.

BUT waiting is a gamble. Even if a vaccine sooner is not as good as it could be, it’s better than waiting too long and catching Covid with limited protection, especially for high-risk people.

SO, this is what I’m suggesting to my family:

Over 65 or at risk for severe disease: Get vaccine 4 months after infection/previous vaccine. Don’t wait more than 6 months. (Go here to understand why older adults need more urgent protection.)

Under 65 and not high risk: Wait at least 6 months. Ideally, get vaccinated once a winter wave starts taking off. (Getting it by Halloween is a good bet.) This is what I will be doing with my family. But remember, we have very little/no protection against infection until we do. So, other layers of protection are especially needed.

Do I wait for Novavax?
There is some evidence that mixing Novavax with mRNA is better and some evidence that staying with mRNA is better. It’s a bit hard to know which one is “right.”

High-risk people: The data pool is so narrow I’m uncomfortable suggesting that high-risk people wait for Novavax; we don’t know if it’s immunologically better. So don’t wait for this option if it’s been >6 months since your last vaccine and/or infection.

Other reasons people may want to wait on Novavax:

Side effects. The mRNA vaccines are the most reactogenic vaccines we’ve ever had (i.e., a lot of side effects). They kick my butt, so I will be waiting for it.

Hesitant about mRNA biotechnology.

What about mixing the mRNA vaccines?
If you’ve only had an entire Moderna series, you may see marginal benefit from getting a Pfizer bivalent booster (and vice versa). But, to be honest, the science is mixed and isn’t very strong. So just get the vaccine that is most easily accessible.

What about mixing with the flu vaccine?
You can get the flu vaccine (and other routine vaccines) and the Covid-19 vaccine at the same visit. It’s recommended to get them in different arms.

There have been studies on the safety and effectiveness of the co-administration of these two vaccines. In one database, about 454,000 people got the flu and Covid-19 vaccines. Both worked great. The rate of side effects was the same or a little higher among those that co-administered; however, no specific safety concerns were identified.

Under 5 years old and not yet vaccinated for Covid-19
I’m getting a ton of questions from parents whose kids have yet to be vaccinated for Covid-19. First, I’m glad you’re taking this step—it will help protect against severe disease and reduce the duration of illness and transmission.

I agree that guidance is confusing, but I found this CDC slide helpful:

Your unvaccinated younger child (<5 years) needs more doses than, for example, an older child because they are more likely to be immune naive (i.e., never have had this virus). Multiple shots the first time ensure the immune system creates a durable memory.

Bottom line
Fall is here. Our priority is preventing severe disease among high-risk people, and we can be smart about it. But if this feels too much like gymnastics, get your shot before Halloween. It will help you and those around you.

Love, YLE

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Well, Covid finally hit our household. We suspect the little one picked it up at the ER last weekend when they had some abdominal pain (turned out they were pretty badly constipated). Wife and oldest child are still negative, but I just tested positive last night. It extra sucks because we had been homeschooling our oldest for the past two years, but with the little one old enough for kindergarten we figured it was time to get them both back in a social environment. The little one tested positive the night after their third day. Fortunately their fever already broke and they've been pretty full of energy. Now I just have to figure out how to get my Paxlovid picked up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Got my booster today. Now I’m just waiting to see how awful I feel or if I’m lucky this time around.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got my booster today. Now I’m just waiting to see how awful I feel or if I’m lucky this time around.

which one did you go with, I have a moderna set for 9/22

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

which one did you go with, I have a moderna set for 9/22

Got the Moderna, along with whatever flu shot. I don’t remember if I gave CVS my insurance info online though but I pretty much walked in and said hi I’m here and they gave me 2 shots without looking at any paperwork or ID. It was kinda weird. Didn’t even bother updating/writing on that paper covid vaccine card. I guess nobody uses that anymore.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got the Moderna, along with whatever flu shot. I don’t remember if I gave CVS my insurance info online though but I pretty much walked in and said hi I’m here and they gave me 2 shots without looking at any paperwork or ID. It was kinda weird. Didn’t even bother updating/writing on that paper covid vaccine card. I guess nobody uses that anymore.

Same, but they gave me a new card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Okay, arm is starting to get real sore now.