Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Magnetic North posted:

Never heard of Beastmaster Highlander, but I know Emporer suuuuuucks.

Emperor owns actually

I want to play Emperor Planechase EDH with Explorers of Ixalan when you planeswalk to an Ixalan plane card, and each of the Emperors has an archenemy Scheme deck, itd be either the best or worst game of magic ever

Edit: and every player also has a Vanguard card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Creature spells and auras only, limit one copy per deck. It was miserable since it's heyday was the time period between Fallen Empires and Ice Age.

Framboise posted:

I could make a sick enchantress deck even with those restrictions.

Format all-stars Eriette, Light-Paws, Sram, Sythis, Tuvasa, Xenk, Danitha, and Calix.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Format all-stars Eriette, Light-Paws, Sram, Sythis, Tuvasa, Xenk, Danitha, and Calix.

Don't forget that new one, Yenna. She may as well have been designed for that format.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Batterypowered7 posted:

I would absolutely rebuild my old Kestia deck full of Theros gods and steal-your-creature auras for this

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Silhouette posted:

I want to play Emperor Planechase EDH with Explorers of Ixalan when you planeswalk to an Ixalan plane card, and each of the Emperors has an archenemy Scheme deck, itd be either the best or worst game of magic ever

Edit: and every player also has a Vanguard card

Have the teams racing to Face the Hydra.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Does anyone like planechase? Like enough to run the dedicated cards that let you cheat the die rolls for cheaper?

I've played a handful of games with it and the variety is nice. But generally folks either forget it's there or land on a benign plane and just play out a normal game from turn 5.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I like it a lot when I'm prepared to have a game thats like an hour and a half and I think it DOES add enough most of the time to make the experience worth doing again, but its not the kind of thing im clamoring to do constantly (and therefore would not use the planechase specific stuff aside from maaaaaybe one of the spells that incidentally do another thing if youre doing planechase

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Mix. posted:

I like it a lot when I'm prepared to have a game thats like an hour and a half and I think it DOES add enough most of the time to make the experience worth doing again, but its not the kind of thing im clamoring to do constantly (and therefore would not use the planechase specific stuff aside from maaaaaybe one of the spells that incidentally do another thing if youre doing planechase

There's the 2CMC mana rock that makes {C} and can roll the planae die. I see that one every now and then when people forget better rocks exist (or they're playing a Colorless deck).

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Batterypowered7 posted:

There's the 2CMC mana rock that makes {C} and can roll the planae die. I see that one every now and then when people forget better rocks exist (or they're playing a Colorless deck).

oh yeah i think i may actually have that one in my graaz deck lol. welp

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

one time at my old LGS, we made an unhinged version of planechase, where we made a map of planes. Like when you went to a new plane, you just put it next to the one you are on, and if you have multiple planes touching the one you're on, you get to choose which one you go to. You had people working together to get on a certain plane, and some people doing anything to keep those 2 guys off that plane

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

A Moose posted:

one time at my old LGS, we made an unhinged version of planechase, where we made a map of planes. Like when you went to a new plane, you just put it next to the one you are on, and if you have multiple planes touching the one you're on, you get to choose which one you go to. You had people working together to get on a certain plane, and some people doing anything to keep those 2 guys off that plane

That sounds like something I should try. I don't have a dedicated commander deck yet for planechase but I'm working on it. There's a group that will do 6+ player planechase games and they take hours upon hours to play and even I'm not that patient. This sounds like it would be over quicker.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's actually a pretty common PC variant, where you start with 5 planes arranged in a cross, with only the center one actually face up and when you planeswalk, you flip one of the adjacent cards and put face down plane cards on each edge of the newly flipped card

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I got the Sidar Jabari precon, I removed the three planechase cards but I could slot them back in again.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got the Sidar Jabari precon, I removed the three planechase cards but I could slot them back in again.

Glanced over at the thread and briefly thought you had gotten the "Sick Jabroni precon" and was wondering which one that was.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Glanced over at the thread and briefly thought you had gotten the "Sick Jabroni precon" and was wondering which one that was.

Yidris. What a jabroni.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Batterypowered7 posted:

That would be the Corrupting Influence Precon

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I've had the Esper Knights Precon for a few months just gathering dust, and I've assembled a whole rear end list of potential cards to buy or proxy to slot into the deck. I think I've already removed a decent amount of crap from the precon to start off.

https://archidekt.com/decks/4374733/calvary_charge

I guess I'm just having a hard time to figure out what to slot in. I'd love to slot in the Cardinal Direction Paladins (North, South, East, West) cause I love finding ways to slot in old rear end cards into new stuff. Same with White and Black Knight, Order of the Sacred Torch etc etc.

Any ideas on where to make cuts on the Maybeboard? Or what you would slot in from that list into the deck and or other cuts to make that I haven't yet. I'm not looking to go cEDH with it, just EDH with friends that gets on the side of High Powered at times. Have a good night everyone.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jiro posted:

So I've had the Esper Knights Precon for a few months just gathering dust, and I've assembled a whole rear end list of potential cards to buy or proxy to slot into the deck. I think I've already removed a decent amount of crap from the precon to start off.

I guess I'm just having a hard time to figure out what to slot in. I'd love to slot in the Cardinal Direction Paladins (North, South, East, West) cause I love finding ways to slot in old rear end cards into new stuff. Same with White and Black Knight, Order of the Sacred Torch etc etc.

Any ideas on where to make cuts on the Maybeboard? Or what you would slot in from that list into the deck and or other cuts to make that I haven't yet. I'm not looking to go cEDH with it, just EDH with friends that gets on the side of High Powered at times. Have a good night everyone.

I wrote an article about this precon though it’s mostly discarding and reanimating fatties I’ll try to find the link.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jiro posted:

Cut:

Artifacts - Commander's Sphere
Lands - Evolving Wilds, Myriad Landscape, Temple of Deceit, Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Arcane Sanctum, Terramorphic Expanse, Choked Estuary, Port Town, Shineshadow Snarl
Creatures - Jossu Vess

Add:

Artfacts - Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Progress, Dimir Signet, Orzhov Signet, Lightning Greaves
Lands - Morphic Pool, Vault of Champions, Sea of Clouds, Polluted Delta, Marsh Flats, Flooded Strand, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave, Hallowed Fountain
Enchantments - Rhystic Study
Sorceries - Winds of Abandon, Harsh Mercy
Instants - Fierce Guardianship, Flawless Maneuver
Creatures - Locthwain Lancer

From Maybeboard:

Lands - Raffine's Tower
Enchantments - Etchings of the Chosen
Creatures - Moonshaker Cavalry, Cavalier of Dawn, Marshall of Zalfir, Mirran Crusader, Battle Angels of Tyr, Esper Sentinel

My Pet Knight:

Stillmoon Cavalier

I'm sure there are better cuts/adds, but those would be my suggestions.

Edit:

I'm medium on Xerex Strobe-Knight and might consider Vona, Butcher of Magan if the mana curve doesn't tilt too far toward the top end.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 16, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Security bypass, schemer's mask, and raffine themselves are pretty funny in that deck.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I’m planning on bringing this deck to a group EDH night on Tuesday.

I have no idea how to gauge power levels and I played a friend’s deck the one time I went to play with these folks. Everyone seems to know what they are doing and most people had 3 to upwards of 10 decks with them.

I just want to make sure that list isn’t going to outright piss people off. I shamelessly stole it from a Food and Fellowship upgrade YouTube video I found. All the upgrades are proxied.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kung fu jive posted:

I’m planning on bringing this deck to a group EDH night on Tuesday.

I have no idea how to gauge power levels and I played a friend’s deck the one time I went to play with these folks. Everyone seems to know what they are doing and most people had 3 to upwards of 10 decks with them.

I just want to make sure that list isn’t going to outright piss people off. I shamelessly stole it from a Food and Fellowship upgrade YouTube video I found. All the upgrades are proxied.

That deck honestly looks like a blast to play, I dunno why anyone would be pissed at it unless I missed something.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I've had people get grumbly about Dauthi Voidwalker but the rest I've never heard complaints about in my group. And those people should probably run more ways to kill a tiny creature.

If I was playing that deck I would straight up tell everyone before playing that it runs the Sanguine Bond / Exquisite Blood combo but without tutors for it (unless I missed one). I like to be up front about infinite combos in my deck, not everyone does, but if you're going for better safe than sorry with a new group then I definitely would.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Fajita Queen posted:

That deck honestly looks like a blast to play, I dunno why anyone would be pissed at it unless I missed something.

I am super excited about the list. Honestly I almost just bought the additions outright but calmed myself down and proxied them up for my first outing with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Tarnop posted:

I've had people get grumbly about Dauthi Voidwalker but the rest I've never heard complaints about in my group. And those people should probably run more ways to kill a tiny creature.

If I was playing that deck I would straight up tell everyone before playing that it runs the Sanguine Bond / Exquisite Blood combo but without tutors for it (unless I missed one). I like to be up front about infinite combos in my deck, not everyone does, but if you're going for better safe than sorry with a new group then I definitely would.

That combo is the main thing I was worried about. I will make a point to call it out at each table I end up at. You didn’t miss anything - no tutors.

When I originally read Dauthi Voidwalker I just thought about reanimator hate and moved on to the rest of the cards in the list. With your callout and thinking about it more I bet there are a bunch of interactions in the format that it interferes with. That being said it’s 2 toughness. I agree with what you have to say about it. If people really get mad I guess I’ll have to revisit. Thank you for the feedback!

I’m trying to balance out having not really played Magic in a decade, coming from a background that was mostly pushing competitive Standard and draft pretty hard when I was playing, and trying to have fun myself but not poo poo in everyone else’s cereal while doing it. Really appreciate it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dauthi Voidwalker does interfere with a bunch of common interactions but that's what makes it such a strong card. There are remarkably few commander archetypes that don't use their graveyard, and the ones that build around it will drown you in value if you can't respond, especially at casual tables where they get more turns to pile on the advantage. It's just that graveyard hate isn't a very exciting thing to spend deck slots on so it's something a lot of people ignore and then when graveyards actually do get shut down, some saltiness may occur

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

kung fu jive posted:

I am super excited about the list. Honestly I almost just bought the additions outright but calmed myself down and proxied them up for my first outing with it. Thanks for the feedback!

That combo is the main thing I was worried about. I will make a point to call it out at each table I end up at. You didn’t miss anything - no tutors.

When I originally read Dauthi Voidwalker I just thought about reanimator hate and moved on to the rest of the cards in the list. With your callout and thinking about it more I bet there are a bunch of interactions in the format that it interferes with. That being said it’s 2 toughness. I agree with what you have to say about it. If people really get mad I guess I’ll have to revisit. Thank you for the feedback!

I’m trying to balance out having not really played Magic in a decade, coming from a background that was mostly pushing competitive Standard and draft pretty hard when I was playing, and trying to have fun myself but not poo poo in everyone else’s cereal while doing it. Really appreciate it.

Voidwalker pretty much negates, until it's removed, any sort of strategy where someone depends on their graveyard to get poo poo out onto the board. You don't even have to sac it and claim something you just keep it out there and poo poo keeps piling up when creatures die and can't be brought back. Mirkwood Bats should be fun, your deck looks like it'll be a fun time!

As long as you're aware of your playgroup's.... temperature, on interactions (creature removal, counterspells, board wipes, etc etc) you should be fine.

I play with people that range from having hate bearers to force people to use their removal on it, to stax, to people who pillow fort and can get salty when you target them because they play in a style that they merely forcus on getting their board state up and don't mess with anyone else so they assume you won't/aren't paying attention to what they're doing until it's too late.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best combo is Drannith Magistrate + Darksteel Plate when there's a Prosper or Vega player at the table :getin:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Hello Commander thread. I do not post here often.

Back in 1999 or whatever because that was so long ago. I witnessed two cards being pulled from a booster deck from Unglued that I was very attracted to. Back then I was not big into Magic and granted I never gotten really big into it since Kaladesh and that was when I discovered Commander.

The two cards has only been played once, and three years ago I was able to get these two cards as a birthday gift and have been unable to play them for quite sometime. I had to figure out a way to play them. I know there are better ways of doing this but I am proud to say after 23 years since opening that booster. This is the 2nd time these two cards have been played in Commander (Provided express permission I was allowed to play them)

These two cards are combined to Big Furry Monster.

I used the premade WH40k mono black commander to play enchantments to mill my deck as fast a possible. And by turn 8 he arrived as a 100/100 lifelink with resurrection orb. I did lose two turns later but it felt great bringing him out after 23 years since he was last played.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Cut:

Artifacts - Commander's Sphere
Lands - Evolving Wilds, Myriad Landscape, Temple of Deceit, Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Silence, Arcane Sanctum, Terramorphic Expanse, Choked Estuary, Port Town, Shineshadow Snarl
Creatures - Jossu Vess

Add:

Artfacts - Talisman of Dominance, Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Progress, Dimir Signet, Orzhov Signet, Lightning Greaves
Lands - Morphic Pool, Vault of Champions, Sea of Clouds, Polluted Delta, Marsh Flats, Flooded Strand, Godless Shrine, Watery Grave, Hallowed Fountain
Enchantments - Rhystic Study
Sorceries - Winds of Abandon, Harsh Mercy
Instants - Fierce Guardianship, Flawless Maneuver
Creatures - Locthwain Lancer

From Maybeboard:

Lands - Raffine's Tower
Enchantments - Etchings of the Chosen
Creatures - Moonshaker Cavalry, Cavalier of Dawn, Marshall of Zalfir, Mirran Crusader, Battle Angels of Tyr, Esper Sentinel

My Pet Knight:

Stillmoon Cavalier

I'm sure there are better cuts/adds, but those would be my suggestions.

Edit:

I'm medium on Xerex Strobe-Knight and might consider Vona, Butcher of Magan if the mana curve doesn't tilt too far toward the top end.

At first I was like “Moonshaker Cavalry is a Spirit Knight, it would be cool in this list.”

And then I remembered that the commander reanimates a Knight on combat damage, and I was like “Oh never mind, it could be a top-end but it doesn’t really work as a reanimator target for the commander.”

And then I realized the commander has first strike, and now I REALLY want to add it to the list.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

TotalHell posted:

At first I was like “Moonshaker Cavalry is a Spirit Knight, it would be cool in this list.”

And then I remembered that the commander reanimates a Knight on combat damage, and I was like “Oh never mind, it could be a top-end but it doesn’t really work as a reanimator target for the commander.”

And then I realized the commander has first strike, and now I REALLY want to add it to the list.

I got lucky and pulled Moonshaker from like one of two packs I opened for WoE on a lark. So I know it's an auto include into that precon for me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TotalHell posted:

The commander has first strike, so it could reanimate when he hits first, then all the non-first-strikers get buffed.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

The commander has first strike, so it could reanimate when he hits first, then all the non-first-strikers get buffed.

Correct. That is what Jiro realized and stated with the last sentence in the post you quoted.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
If I have Anoincted Procession and Parallell Lives out and make a token, Would they work at the same time and give me three tokens or do they work after each other and give me four? or do they loop infinitely and I just immediately win?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dizz posted:

If I have Anoincted Procession and Parallell Lives out and make a token, Would they work at the same time and give me three tokens or do they work after each other and give me four? or do they loop infinitely and I just immediately win?

You would make four :toot: you choose which order the triggers resolve in, but in this scenario either way nets you 4 tokens

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

You get four. Eight if you have a Doubling Season out too, sixteen with the addition of a Mondrak, and thirty-two if you also have a Primal Vigor on top of all that.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Get Kwende or other double strike granters, animate them on first strike damage then animate again on regular damage!

TotalHell posted:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
So I had a particular question pop up during our EDH game last night. I was curious as to what the answer was.

One of the players was playing Stangg, Echo Warrior.

And then played

And because he could send Stangg after two different people, we were kind of curious as to how blocking would work. Would the person next in the order get a chance to block first, and then the next player is out of luck and has to take the damage?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Each player gets to block with 1 creature.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

Correct. That is what Jiro realized and stated with the last sentence in the post you quoted.

That wasn't there when I quoted or I'm going crazy... probably the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Dizz posted:

Just an fyi, replacement effects like these will never loop infinitely, they can only modify the same 'event' once. Likewise, having City On Fire and Fiery Emancipation out at once won't turn any instance of damage into infinite damage.