Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know if going to the surgeon who worked on Kobe, Burrow, and Brady counts as DYOR quackery.

It's funny to see him find what looks like a legit expert and speculate what he's stupid crystal bullshit he's going to gently caress up his recovery with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know if going to the surgeon who worked on Kobe, Burrow, and Brady counts as DYOR quackery.

This is very true. From personal experience there is definitely a Kind Of Guy that talks about how he got the best surgeon for his procedure no matter if it was actually performed by the PA or guided by the STRYKER rep providing the orthotic.

It's just like no matter what it is, "I got the best." There's absolutely some guy in middle tennessee who's telling people he got the best surgeon in the state for his ACL that I repaired under close guidance. It's just a thing people do.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Guys who wait a couple months to get the surgery and then miss half of training camp don’t make sense to me.

Different theories on how to approach different types of injuries

. Also some injuries can't be operated on acutely.

GENERALLY ortho procedures are about 1/3rd success, 1/3rd failure, 1/3rd no difference.

There is AMPLE evidence for example that rotator cuff tears respond better to PT than surgery. Obviously this is gen pop and not athlete specific.

Cam would be the biggest example of someone who should have gotten surgery but he had some specific phobias about it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Asproigerosis posted:

I think Rodgers should really consider overtaking the body of Zach Wilson

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I must've missed Marshawn with the Amish.

https://twitter.com/shannonsharpeee/status/1702664956418854960?s=20

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

GENERALLY ortho procedures are about 1/3rd success, 1/3rd failure, 1/3rd no difference.

This doesn't make any sense. Orthopedic surgeries in modern day are incredibly successful in terms of replacement. Efficacy of rehab afterwards and pain reporting are loose studies sometimes as populating that pool for research is reliant on independent PT facilities reporting their success.

FizFashizzle posted:

There is AMPLE evidence for example that rotator cuff tears respond better to PT than surgery. Obviously this is gen pop and not athlete specific.

It's actually more that PT can be almost as effective as surgery but either route works.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/319...3)%3A459%2D470.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27385156/
https://www.jwatch.org/na49504/2019/07/16/surgery-vs-physical-therapy-symptomatic-rotator-cuff-tears

Medical procedures aren't really goon opinions as in one thing is just better than the other, it's more that patients have different preferences and physical statuses.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Delta = Don't Even Leave The Airport.

Southwest =Check in 24 hours before your flight, get an A or B grouping and you're golden. C = you're hosed.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

33% of those people are dead, pretty bad hit rate imo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

This doesn't make any sense. Orthopedic surgeries in modern day are incredibly successful in terms of replacement.

And only two of the 5 most common ortho procedures are categorized as replacements, on quick google. That'd be hip and knee. I'm not going to google the breakdown between total and partial. And hip procedures are incredibly more complex than just replacement: total, partial, girdle stone, etc. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

It's true that knee replacement are just about the most common and successful ortho procedure. But that doesn't make it the same for all procedures.

true, the 1/3rd is a little glib. But this is just the general consensus around ortho surgeons I work with. Thank you for keeping me honest!

quote:

Efficacy of rehab afterwards and pain reporting are loose studies sometimes as populating that pool for research is reliant on independent PT facilities reporting their success.

It's actually more that PT can be almost as effective as surgery but either route works.

[quote]
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/319...3)%3A459%2D470.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27385156/
https://www.jwatch.org/na49504/2019/07/16/surgery-vs-physical-therapy-symptomatic-rotator-cuff-tears

sorry, ample was the wrong word. I should have gone with

quote:

There is limited evidence that surgery is not more effective in treating rotator cuff tear than conservative treatment alone. Thus, a conservative approach is advocated as the initial treatment modality.

I don't have the time to dig in to these right now.

Again, this based on speaking with the ortho surgeons I work with. Unfortunately, I'm not sport specific. I only do ortho trauma. So I generally don't get sports specific injuries. And I'm usually too busy to read the latest studies on google. but I appreciate you bringing these to my attention and I'll give them a once over when I have time.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Marshawn Lynch is the rightful heir to Bourdain's crown

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

trilljester posted:

Delta = Don't Even Leave The Airport.

Southwest =Check in 24 hours before your flight, get an A or B grouping and you're golden. C = you're hosed.

I think all these airline assessments and strategies are cope. Flying in the US sucks. How bad it will suck is a roll of the dice.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I feel like this is going to be a weird and wild year tbh and I'm living for it

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Asproigerosis posted:

I think Rodgers should really consider overtaking the body of Zach Wilson

Imagining this like the Collectors in Mass Effect 2

“I am assuming Direct Control” immediately gets sacked

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is that 1/3 of all, or 1/3 of athletes? Not having a crack - genuinely curious btw. Cause I gotta assume that based on demographics a chubby old man getting his knee replaced is probably a lot different than an elite athlete in his late 30s in terms of success and adherence to a rehab program.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Him calling them out on using a DeWalt lantern which is ok because "It's wireless". Incredible.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FizFashizzle posted:

This is very true. From personal experience there is definitely a Kind Of Guy that talks about how he got the best surgeon for his procedure no matter if it was actually performed by the PA or guided by the STRYKER rep providing the orthotic.

It's just like no matter what it is, "I got the best." There's absolutely some guy in middle tennessee who's telling people he got the best surgeon in the state for his ACL that I repaired under close guidance. It's just a thing people do.

Different theories on how to approach different types of injuries

. Also some injuries can't be operated on acutely.

Cam would be the biggest example of someone who should have gotten surgery but he had some specific phobias about it.

What if it's a complete tear with retraction :smugbert:

One time I had a patient with a complete quad tear and retraction and it .... just healed itself in the brace for weeks? I was unaware this is a thing that could happen especially when it's retracted.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Him calling them out on using a DeWalt lantern which is ok because "It's wireless". Incredible.

The look on his face was priceless

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

FizFashizzle posted:

Guessing the best surgeons in Tennessee are in middle Tennessee, aka Nashville

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you believe the best surgeons are all in the best places for them to be even though politics are prevalent everywhere. i guess you're part of that system. i'd do the same.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Luigi Thirty posted:

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/aaron-rodgers-hinted-potential-return-this-season-achilles-tear-pat-mcafee-show.html

Oh god he’s going to do it

Pat’s response was “I don’t know what Dr. Joe Rogan has been telling you, but”

He's charging a J/O crystal like it's never been charged before.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
He's going to try to fix his achilles with homeopathy or something and end up being never able to walk again.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Just shitloads of ayahuasca and trying to roll his wheelchair through the desert sand following blurry visions of Shaileen Woodley until his desiccated corpse is found sometime next June.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Is that 1/3 of all, or 1/3 of athletes? Not having a crack - genuinely curious btw. Cause I gotta assume that based on demographics a chubby old man getting his knee replaced is probably a lot different than an elite athlete in his late 30s in terms of success and adherence to a rehab program.

That’s not athlete specific; that’s just a rule of thumb for how patients respond to ortho procedures.

Of course the other side of that is the chubby guy in his thirties isn’t going out and playing football. Total knee replacements are generally very successful.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Well based on my joke that would actually be near Celina.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 16, 2023

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

FizFashizzle posted:

And I'm usually too busy to read the latest studies on google.

fiz rolling into the or with ether and leeches

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Incitatus posted:

fiz rolling into the or with ether and leeches

Leeches are still used in surgery :science:

Ether, well, with the way HCA is running things…

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 16, 2023

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Leeches are still used in surgery :science:

Ether, well, with the way HCA is running things…

I don't think anyone is buying that the ether will be used on the patient.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

“I’m not sure if you’re familiar with this guy, Weird Al.” :allears:

Marshawn continues to be amazing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pontius Pilate posted:

Yeah TOA (tennessee ortho alliance) is actually a big thing around here lol

solarjetman
Jan 27, 2001

Fun Shoe
I watched the replay of ARI-WAS since Washington plays Denver tomorrow, and it's fun how different that game was from LV-DEN despite similar scoring.

LV-DEN had 13 drives, 9 of which were 10 plays or more. ARI-WAS had 24 drives, 23 of which were 9 plays or fewer.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Symphoric posted:

Just shitloads of ayahuasca and trying to roll his wheelchair through the desert sand following blurry visions of Shaileen Woodley until his desiccated corpse is found sometime next June.

Arizona Red Ghost reboot lookin'... weird?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Does anyone still have the Josh Allen Vs Josh Allen Undertaker meme, I can’t find it anymore and I need it for reasons

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’m just getting to it now, but holy crap. Is that video of Geno Smith screaming oh my God in fear when he’s being chased down by Aaron Donald the funniest soundbite of week one? It has to be.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

absolutely

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I'm really partial to Cris Collinsworth talking about how Daniel Jones was earning respect in the league by staying in the MNF game and trying to get something out of his offense right as he was getting flattened for his 7th sack of the night

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

unrelated but made me remember this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxJFdCB__8

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I want to watch NFL out of market games rather than go to a bar. I've been using reddit streams which is fine and dandy, but I'm bound to my PC when doing that and babysitting the stream.

How is YouTube's Sunday ticket? As a Packers fan I'm going to be streaming a lot of games this year and would prefer to watch on my couch and host people.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Anti-Hero posted:

I want to watch NFL out of market games rather than go to a bar. I've been using reddit streams which is fine and dandy, but I'm bound to my PC when doing that and babysitting the stream.

How is YouTube's Sunday ticket? As a Packers fan I'm going to be streaming a lot of games this year and would prefer to watch on my couch and host people.

Sucks and is expensive. No rewind or pause plus the occasional technical issues.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

It’s great, especially if you know someone in college. I used my kid’s name, DOB, school, and boom, $120 for everything.

There was a couple instances of it buffering last week, but I’m betting it was just because it was week 1.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tinstaach posted:

I'm really partial to Cris Collinsworth talking about how Daniel Jones was earning respect in the league by staying in the MNF game and trying to get something out of his offense right as he was getting flattened for his 7th sack of the night

Daniel Jones didn't even play on MNF.

The funniest thing was Tico saying the Lions had an asterisk on their win. Literal hours after praising the Chiefs for a Superbowl during which they were handed the division, #1 seed, AFCCG, and Superbowl during the season.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

Depending on how new your tv is, it's fairly trivial to stream from your phone or PC to the tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Daniel Jones didn't even play on MNF.

The funniest thing was Tico saying the Lions had an asterisk on their win. Literal hours after praising the Chiefs for a Superbowl during which they were handed the division, #1 seed, AFCCG, and Superbowl during the season.

That game was notable for me because you could tell Colinsworth was just planning to talk about Mahomes and only Mahomes all night. obviously you focus on the big names but when the story became the lions doing great and the right tackle being offsides he didn’t have anything to add. Even on plays with obvious offensive penalties he’d be like “wow look at Mahomes there.”

Obviously most people do just enough to not get fired but holy poo poo has he phoned it in.