Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It got in a duel with the Moskva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Same as everything else, someone up the chain of command is going to get shown a destroyed target and everyone keeps the grift spinning. That NATO warlock torpedo boat never saw it coming.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
They couldn’t fast travel because of the boat

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Apparently if you go back to the 80's and Iran's war with Iraq, which was also a artillery war, there were similar comments from a lot of people.

Basically artillery wars are what happen when either side can't establish air superiority for one reason or another and neither side wants to back down. And apparently that means they end up looking a hell of a lot like the grinding entrenched murder filled fields we saw in WWI.

Its why the US and western powers place such a big emphasis on spending so much drat money on things like F35's and that new stealth bomber. As horribly HORRIBLY expensive as they are its far more preferable to spend the money and have those available instead of engaging in sustained artillery war.

So I guess in a way some people sort've did learn a lesson from WWI.

I was thinking more along the lines of a return of all of humanity to a small scale agricultural society and the rejection of all technology but I guess there are many ways to learn.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Comstar posted:

I thought they used the tactics of Zapp Brannigan - throw waves of your own drones at the target until it reached it's kill limit/ammo and then shuts down, allowing the Neptune missiles to hit it.

Nope. I saw the same video, and he's wrong on this one.

An S-400 is part of an integrated air defense network, and it relies on other components of the network for protection. The UAF destroyed a radar installation with a raid by special forces landing from boats. The raids on Moscow and the air fields made the Russians move the short-range systems capable of hitting suicide drones away. Then a couple of suicide drones took out the S-400's radars and command truck, leaving the launchers open to cruise missiles. This strike was a month or more in preparation.

An S-400 launches telephone pole sized missiles, they can't hit a small suicide drone. There were plenty of missiles in the launchers when the Neptunes showed up to finish the job. Neptunes are sea skimmers, a land-based radar isn't likely to even see them before impact.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

the popes toes posted:

I think military planners are actually learning quite a bit.

oh... oh good

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Saw a clip today from the liberation of Andriivka [not posting due to dead people] and I couldn’t believe how much it looked like a scene from WW1.

All that’s old is new again.

Anywhere receiving that much unguided artillery is going to end up as that kind of hellscape.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
More Rashism in action. Crazy how they find nazis everywhere but inside their own borders no?

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1703054406604693859?t=FhFrNzCB2XE6usaePAtzFA&s=19

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

"Small, slow drone at low altitude" is going to be a comparatively hard target to spot even for the bigass radar being targeted. The current gen SHORAD systems like Pantsir and to a lesser extent Tor haven't exactly had stellar showings against that threat either, and would have had very little distance or time to work with as they were defending a battery near the coast. Throw a couple drones along optimal approaches and there's pretty good odds one gets through - and the Ukrainians are kinda pros at finding those holes in air defense.

Once the radar was gone the S-400 battery was likely blind or at least reliant on different radars without the proximity to the missiles' flight path to spot them at low altitude.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

More Rashism in action. Crazy how they find nazis everywhere but inside their own borders no?

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1703054406604693859?t=FhFrNzCB2XE6usaePAtzFA&s=19

Hmm... enthusiastic, healthy and of the right age... off to the font you go!!! :ussr: :blyat:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

And nobody that supports Puccia will ever acknowledge this or reconcile it to their existing beliefs, unless their existing beliefs tacitly align with such filth.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

mllaneza posted:

An S-400 launches telephone pole sized missiles, they can't hit a small suicide drone. There were plenty of missiles in the launchers when the Neptunes showed up to finish the job. Neptunes are sea skimmers, a land-based radar isn't likely to even see them before impact.
Supposedly S-400 is capable of shooting down small drones (9М96Е is the smaller and shorter range missile they use in them) but its not really ideal (from a cost and resource perspective) for that. So they're supposed to use stuff like Pantsir, Tunguska, Buk, or whatever to do SHORAD roles to protect them from drones.

For whatever reason the SHORAD wasn't there (someone said in another thread it got moved and someone else said the operators got lazy and had it in the wrong spot because they didn't want to dig a new position for it, not sure which of those is correct) and somehow the S-400's main radar, which should've spotted the drones, didn't.

Why I don't know.

But the Russians have had several issues with their radars spotting small, slow, and/or low flying drones of various sorts for a while. Which was why even larger drones like TB2's were able to clown on them for a while at the start of the war. Pantsir, Tunguska, and I guess now the S-400 have all either been taken out, or had inordinate trouble shooting down, these small drones. I've no idea if its operator incompetence or something is wrong with their radar but I'm assuming its either one of those right now.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Just finished listening to Sad Oligarch podcast which covered a few of the deaths of Russian oligarchs since the start of the invasion. Last episodes were on Prig.

I sincerely wonder if we will EVER understand why Prigozhin stopped when he did, what deal did he get offered or did he conclude that he didn't have the support he needed to defeat Putin, and WHY he didn't flee afterwards.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Samovar posted:

Just finished listening to Sad Oligarch podcast which covered a few of the deaths of Russian oligarchs since the start of the invasion. Last episodes were on Prig.

I sincerely wonder if we will EVER understand why Prigozhin stopped when he did, what deal did he get offered or did he conclude that he didn't have the support he needed to defeat Putin, and WHY he didn't flee afterwards.

It's pretty simple. He got cold feet when he found out that the Puccian general staff and most of the nomenklatura weren't behind him, and he thought that he was too essential to monke to not be killed. Monke didn't share that viewpoint because he doesn't like being publicly humiliated in such a fashion.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is gonna be different this year

Comrade, why do you show decadent Westoid Celebration when glorious ally would be at Russian Parade?! :ussr:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The only way the coup could of worked is if Putin stayed in Moscow and could be taken prisoner.

The coup stopped as soon as putin got away to the secure bunker near st petersburg.

If they'd planned ahead like, seriously, they'd of had a team on every airfield with an isla to shoot down any jets trying to ferry putin to safety.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Just making room so that future tourists can dive the superior wrecks of the Black Sea Fleet.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1703086849139327332#m
Time for these to get sunk too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

:orb:

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb

Samovar posted:

Honestly, I think he was simply a giant loving moron.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Imagine not fleeing to an armed compound under your control somewhere in Africa to continue oppressing civilians as the only one with the guns after failing miserably at trying to overthrow Russia's Greatest Leader In History

zone
Dec 6, 2016

EorayMel posted:

Imagine not fleeing to an armed compound under your control somewhere in Africa to continue oppressing civilians as the only one with the guns after failing miserably at trying to overthrow Russia's Greatest Leader In History

That's what happens when you buy into your own bullshit I guess.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Samovar posted:

I think the answer is more simplistic than we will ever imagine. I literally believe it's because lukashenko told him that the entire jig would be up if he did what he was going to do. Literally it would shatter Russia. I mean this guy was clearly a Russian ultra nationalist. I mean what is worse to an ultra nationalist than the death of his own country?

Have any of you just imagined a progosian-led Russia or one in which Putin is deposed? I mean Putin wasn't even in Moscow when progosian was marching on it. he fled to one of his dacas with a component of the росгвардия. So, let's say he did take Moscow and a good portion of the country follows him and another good portion of the country goes towards putin. The peripherals start to fall apart because there's no clear leader of Russia and the Russians who occupy like the caucuses and everything would be setting battlegrounds against each other. All of the opportunity would have been laid to bear in these areas. It would have been completed under chaos it would have been a civil war. One in which I just don't think Russia would have had the same geographical shape. Progosian sure he's a loving Nazi but the guy is a political figure who understands optics and thinks in the long term etc etc. Yeah the guys loving evil but he is a calculated evil.

I have a thought to post, have you ever heard of two parents who will not divorce each other until a child is 18 to give them a strong foundation and not ruin their childhood? But then as soon as the child is 18 they split?

That's kind of what happened between pagosian and Putin. The baby which is the Russian empire would have suffered greatly if prigohzin would have divorced Putin.

I mean remember this whole thing is in the early stages. Ukraine was the first step in what Russia believed would be a grand conquest of its former areas like Kazakhstan etc I mean they have their eyes on Poland but they weren't going to push that until NATO broke up. I mean clearly it did not, and clearly The game plan did not go according to plan in any way shape or form.

I know it sounds so stupid to think that people are this vain to literally kill themselves over their country but we're talking about nationalists and fascists here. They always want to kill themselves over country

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 16, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

JustCallMeDC posted:

Honestly, I think he was simply a giant loving moron.

Yeah the more I've seen about the extremely rich/powerful currently in action right now, and the more I think they are just tremendous idiots who got lucky/unlucky enough to be front and centre in current events.
I am surprised that Prigozhin was so stupid. He literally grew up in Russian prison, if anyone should have understood raw power dynamics, it should have been him, but apparently he was fooled.
What the absolute gently caress was he promised, that made him act so foolishly, so trustingly?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Pookah posted:

What the absolute gently caress was he promised, that made him act so foolishly, so trustingly?

Two hotdogs!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Oldsmobile posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of a return of all of humanity to a small scale agricultural society and the rejection of all technology but I guess there are many ways to learn.

You first

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Did you hear about that family that tried to live off the grid and ended up starving to death?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Dammit, I know its funny, and if anyone deserved a painful death, it was him, but WHY WAS HE SO STUPID?
It really does annoy me to hell and gone.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

EorayMel posted:

The thing is

he did that

he did flee to Africa where wagners were the main security force

he then LEFT THAT TO GO GET BLOWN UP BY PUTIN

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zone posted:

It's pretty simple. He got cold feet when he found out that the Puccian general staff and most of the nomenklatura weren't behind him, and he thought that he was too essential to monke to not be killed. Monke didn't share that viewpoint because he doesn't like being publicly humiliated in such a fashion.
Yeah, but Prig could have stayed in Africa running Wagner's mercenary warfare there. He didn't, and then he got popped and we lolled at the death of a war criminal and the end of his warcriming enterprise.

Putin is a piece of poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HonorableTB posted:

The thing is

he did that

he did flee to Africa where wagners were the main security force

he then LEFT THAT TO GO GET BLOWN UP BY PUTIN

I am glad he did and thus the world no longer stores his personality in its composition.

IMO.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah, but Prig could have stayed in Africa running Wagner's mercenary warfare there. He didn't, and then he got popped and we lolled at the death of a war criminal and the end of his warcriming enterprise.
Im sure Poppin could get him in Africa too.

The moment he aborted the attempt he was toast. I think the question is only if he was stupid enough to believe he'd get to live after this, or pretty much knew what's up but didn't want to gently caress up the country even more in the process.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Interesting. Monke is sorta damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-dont. During the first Odessa-amphibious feint, the Baltic fleet only had 4 of these landing ships and IIRC the general IC consensus was that Russia needed at least 6 to make it work. Is Russia ever going to get their poo poo together for an amphibious assault on Odessa? gently caress no, but now they have the required numbers. Its obviously posturing, even if the ships survive the crossing they would be dead as gently caress when they get into range of the shore, but Russia has a very finite amount of these landing ships left. Another storm shadow strike and Russia will factually lose the ability for an amphibious assault against Ukraine.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It sucks we'll never know lol, but we don't need to in order to lol that a very bad dude got his comeuppance

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Gee Priggy, how come Monke lets you have two wieners?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

mobby_6kl posted:

Im sure Poppin could get him in Africa too.

The moment he aborted the attempt he was toast. I think the question is only if he was stupid enough to believe he'd get to live after this, or pretty much knew what's up but didn't want to gently caress up the country even more in the process.

Dude was among the most generic-looking russian guys anywhere, plus he has a ridiculous collection of wigs and moustaches. All I can assume is that he literally couldn't tolerate being unknown and he had to die famous.
Living as a relatively wealthy generic Russian dude was apparently not enough for noted poo poo bag of bags, Prigozhin.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I would interpret his comments as regarding to strategy and maneuver of Ukraine's military forces but not necessarily a change in policy regarding the US's stance on allowing US weapons to be used on Russian soil.

Lots of people (tankies) think this war is a proxy war and Ukraine is a US/westoid puppet so he is essentially pushing back on that BS.

Weren't HIMARS altered so that they couldn't be fired into Russia? I could see them doing that for ATACMS (although they would probably allow it for Crimea obviously), since it wouldn't make sense for Ukraine to use modified cruise missiles for strikes inside Russia

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I pondered about it as well. Taking Moscow was't his only play, he could have sat in Rostov (while also holding the nearby nuclear silo) and make his demands wharever they were from there. Now what? What could putin do about it? I mean all parties could pretend that this is normal and prigozhin is new nominal governor and than maybe kill one another during next years election. Or keep the status quo and have another Kadyrov-style feudal republic, which is not the end of the world. I also cannot understand why someone so versed in Kremlin's methods would trust putin and luka.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mllaneza posted:

Neptunes are sea skimmers, a land-based radar isn't likely to even see them before impact.

Last week Ukraine said they've developed a package for the Neptune that allows it to act as a ballistic missile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sekenr posted:

I pondered about it as well. Taking Moscow was't his only play, he could have sat in Rostov (while also holding the nearby nuclear silo) and make his demands wharever they were from there. Now what? What could putin do about it? I mean all parties could pretend that this is normal and prigozhin is new nominal governor and than maybe kill one another during next years election. Or keep the status quo and have another Kadyrov-style feudal republic, which is not the end of the world. I also cannot understand why someone so versed in Kremlin's methods would trust putin and luka.

Going by your references, you know a lot more about the possible details than some of us, and its still inscrutable.
It's just infuriatingly stupid.
Play the cards you have man, don't trust that the liar you know is a liar will play his cards within the rules of the game.
He'll fry you and everyone you know, those are the only rules.