Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Anna gave birth in her toilet lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Tankbuster posted:

Anna gave birth in her toilet lol.

lol

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

paglia is fun and smart and a valuable intellectual in a contrarian way, but having her as your top-ranked feminist is nonsense. she is nothing except a critique of the broader feminist tradition, and it's very easy to argue that she's not a feminist at all. not a good choice! sad!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Anna's haircut makes her look like a dang Romulan

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bastard Tetris posted:

Anna's haircut makes her look like a dang Romulan

Romulans wear better clothes.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this a pretty amusing write up from the LA times on the sexual revolution ~debate~

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1702502997471981619

Its cool that all these loving cokeheads cite Camille Paglia as their idol when Camille is both one of the biggest morons alive (her take that Western Rome fell because of sexual deviancy is one of the all-time worst takes about that subject) and also supported NAMBLA in the 90s.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
rome falling because men were having gay sex in bathhouses is an all timer dumb guy fact you used to see trotted around

nowadays I guess its spiritual successor is blaming gay and trans people in the Weimar Republic for the rise of Nazism

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Liz go on Movie Mindset to talk about F is for Fake with Will :getin:

also ive always wanted the boys to do a movie episode on 2006's The Good Shepherd for obvious reasons

They should pair it with The Good German for obvious reasons as well

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

V. Illych L. posted:

paglia is fun and smart and a valuable intellectual in a contrarian way, but having her as your top-ranked feminist is nonsense. she is nothing except a critique of the broader feminist tradition, and it's very easy to argue that she's not a feminist at all. not a good choice! sad!

she's also a pedo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Whirling posted:

Its cool that all these loving cokeheads cite Camille Paglia as their idol when Camille is both one of the biggest morons alive (her take that Western Rome fell because of sexual deviancy is one of the all-time worst takes about that subject) and also supported NAMBLA in the 90s.

what did she mean by "deviancy" then? no offense meant to gay people but nambla was also gay.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Doc Hawkins posted:

what did she mean by "deviancy" then? no offense meant to gay people but nambla was also gay.

I can't even loving parse it out, I looked up the video I was thinking about and it was some incoherent bullshit about trans people and that old trope of "Rome/the Weimar Republic/potentially the US is going to get conquered by virile reactionaries because its too weak and effeminate", so I guess she's fine with NAMBLA so long as its done by very manly pedophiles. This is what passes for an intellectual to these stupid assholes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Women just don't understand history. SMDH.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nah paglia's a real intellectual and offers some valuable critiques of mainstream thinking, but she's also a provocateur and publicist with some stupendously bad takes, as has been noted

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/RobertKennedyJr/status/1702899470219067772

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

we are blessed

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
rfk but it's all the bad ones

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bip Roberts posted:

Anna almost dying from covid is probably more a reflection of her being a profoundly ugly person inside and out

Lasagna Anna was pretty and seemed kinda happy but that was before the carefully cultivated aloofness which requires being extremely thin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1701805610906292259?t=ngi99uC5oNn9aO5WDJaOkg&s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

rome falling because men were having gay sex in bathhouses is an all timer dumb guy fact you used to see trotted around

nowadays I guess its spiritual successor is blaming gay and trans people in the Weimar Republic for the rise of Nazism

The Edward Gibbon argument that Christianity destroyed the Empire is also horseshit but at least it respects the linear progression of time

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

people love to be like “actually this public intellectual has a lot of insightful takes” and then you look and almost all of their takes are “you should be allowed to have sex with children”

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

StashAugustine posted:

The Edward Gibbon argument that Christianity destroyed the Empire is also horseshit but at least it respects the linear progression of time

It's taking every fibre of my being not to write a thousand words on the historiography of Late Antiquity, but I'll say that Dario Nappo's essay Gramsci’s view of Late Antiquity: Between longue durée and discontinuity would probably be appreciated by the posters ITT. It's very good, and shows that while Marx has been driven out of the Anglo academy, the work Italians are still doing with Gramsci is fantastic.

Also, the New Social History of the 1960's caused people to actually study sexuality in Late Antiquity, and wouldn't you know it, just because people at the time wrote about things more did not mean they were more of a problem. There was a bit of a renewed interest in the family and public morality accompanying Christianization, but that was mostly trying to rebuild society after the Crisis of the Third Century tore the social fabric. When people, wrote about marriage, then as now, it mostly reflected if people could afford to get married and start a family.

It's anachronistic, but you could say "Middle Class Morality" accounts for a lot of these concerns as people don't want to acknowledge the material basis of family life in a society (the class structure they benefit from). The middle class is thus always writing about the degeneracy of the lower class, because they want to maintain power and superiority over them, and the perversion and decadence of the upper class, whose position and power they covet. They're making a moral case for class relations, basically.

e, Aside: In America this is why there was so much ink spilled on African American "culture" (race) being responsible for the dissolution of family life in the 60's, as they were first hit by deindustrialization. The problem for the contemporary American conservative movement, such as it is, is that as that misery spread to the white working and now middle class, their patterns of sexual relations, marriage and family shifted to align with those of impoverished African Americans. In the 90's they basically tried to say that these were "white trash" and were culturally, if not racially, adjacent to African Americans, which in reality just meant they were the bottom rung of the hierarchy created by race and class and so had the least "buffer", but now even white people who live on the "right side of the tracks" are having kids out of wedlock, unstable romantic relationships, children with several partners etc. It will be interesting to see what (undoubtedly awful) approach is taken to explain this.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Sep 16, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FrancisFukyomama posted:

didn’t one of them refuse to get vaccinated and end up disabled from long Covid

good

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The first episode after it happened was very funny because she tried to be as nonchalant as possible about it.

e: 236 Eurasian Baby Summer

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Sep 16, 2023

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

The first episode after it happened was very funny because she tried to be as nonchalant as possible about it.

I'm never listening to that trash but I'm going to believe there is little difference between long term Xanax abuse and long covid brains

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Thrillbilly episode on the Mitt Romney article is fascinating. Turns out Romney is just an idiot who’s starting to very slowly become doompilled.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

if chapo is guilty of a crime its introducing their entire annoying fanbase to gunther

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

crepeface posted:

rfk but it's all the bad ones

Hard RFK

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gahhhhhh

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Towheaded at 40: The Tim Dillon Story

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Deleted, but also my chud cousin is all in on RFK Jr so I'll just imagine that it's something he's already re-posted.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
ungayed

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Paglia was basically the original RS and you can guess what the r stands for

https://twitter.com/bfcarlson/status/1673286231197732866?s=20

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I feel dumber for knowing who Paglia is, these are not serious people

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paglia does have a pretty funny cameo in Watermelon Woman, good movie

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bastard Tetris posted:

I feel dumber for knowing who Paglia is, these are not serious people

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
I don't respect or acknowledge any contemporary "intellectual" not named Chris Hedges

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nanomashoes posted:

Paglia was basically the original RS and you can guess what the r stands for

https://twitter.com/bfcarlson/status/1673286231197732866?s=20

she’s like a female trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/E1podcast/status/1703131051046916177