Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

someone just gave this to me in the bathroom of a club lmfao

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

god bless this game's community

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

You need to spend more time on that blacksmith job.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
god, wayyyy too many alexander raids lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That's the Normal design philosophy, you get three wings of four fights. You're also shotgunning a year of content back to back so fatigue from doing so is normal. Could level Stormblood MSQ a bit and then go do a wing, etc.

The upside is the Normal queue is lightning fast for dailies.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 16, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Wondering how noted ARR disliker Little Demon liked HW MSQ? ARR/HW Spoilers: I didn't feel as down on ARR as you did but I did feel that down about the ascians, who are generic plot pushers and the worst writing in ARR imo. The dude who kidnaps Minfillia felt like the worst asspull in the game. Seeing Thordan come down on Lahabrea as "I'm a God!" had me howling with laughter, then he addresses the WoL in the same way. If you refuse to acknowledge my divinity, meet me in combat. That entire build up and fight rules and I wish the trial was statted to be harder so I could see and do more of it. What an impossibly epic banger of a track. The fine touch on his last 10% is :discourse: too, when he loses his confidence.

That last bit is easily the highlight 3.0's quest line if you get to see it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Alexander is a good raid series, and the fights get a lot better later on. Raids are released in batches of 4, so it feels different doing them all in one batch rather than how they were done on release.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Not sure if spoiler or not but every subsequent raid will also have 12 sections.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The Alexander raids also feel like more of a slog because there's so much walking and trash. Starting with stormblood the raids are basically just 12 trials

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Worth noting that the raid fights don't get consistently mechanically interesting until Omega. There's some occasional cool stuff in Alexander, especially the last two fights, but even in HW the devs are still trying to define what a raid even looks like in this game, which is why some of them have trash fights.

Also worth mentioning that at launch the Savage versions of the first Alex tier at least were completely hosed in terms of difficulty to the point that it almost killed the entire raiding scene for the game before it even really got off the ground.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Alexander raids' primary strength is the music.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Alexander is also in the weird middle-ground where a bunch of the instances have mini-dungeons attached, which goes away after HW. Further 8-man raids are all bosses all the time.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
There's one track from the Alexander raids that I will always think of as the vacuuming theme. And I okay it whenever I vacuum these days.

Edit: I've also always been partial to Alexander in Final Fantasy because... well, that's my name. Plus rad holy robot castle.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

The Alexander raids' primary strength is the music.

Including a track the game's lead English localizer described as "Gobbie gangsta rap"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arist posted:

Worth noting that the raid fights don't get consistently mechanically interesting until Omega. There's some occasional cool stuff in Alexander, especially the last two fights, but even in HW the devs are still trying to define what a raid even looks like in this game, which is why some of them have trash fights.

Also worth mentioning that at launch the Savage versions of the first Alex tier at least were completely hosed in terms of difficulty to the point that it almost killed the entire raiding scene for the game before it even really got off the ground.

Pepsiman was a staticbreaker and the dps checks on the manipulator were just insane. Only something like 4% of the playerbase cleared pre-nerf.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
yes but the raid drops just nuts and bolts for 170 IL gear when I have full 270 easily from tomes lol... its boring as gently caress, not even minions or mounts or rolls. Boring....

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
gordias and midas would have been overtuned but not playerbase-ruining if cross-server PF had existed then, but when each server was an island it created incentives for everyone to transfer to the designated raiding server in their DC, which pretty much hollowed out a bunch of low-pop places.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

yes but the raid drops just nuts and bolts for 170 IL gear when I have full 270 easily from tomes lol... its boring as gently caress, not even minions or mounts or rolls. Boring....

That’s because at the time the raid was released the max gear was 210. The normal raid drops were supplemental gear for people to use for savage raid prep. The second wing drops turnins for 220 gear and the final wing drops turnins for 250 gear.

Since you’re playing after the expansion, you already have full HW endgame gear that would have taken months to get and could only be gotten with savage raiding prior to the last of the HW 24 person raids.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s because at the time the raid was released the max gear was 210. The normal raid drops were supplemental gear for people to use for savage raid prep. The second wing drops turnins for 220 gear and the final wing drops turnins for 250 gear.

Since you’re playing after the expansion, you already have full HW endgame gear that would have taken months to get and could only be gotten with savage raiding prior to the last of the HW 24 person raids.

I understand, I'm just saying for someone who wants to clear all the content there isn't even a fun reward at the end lol

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The savage versions of 4 and 12 have a mount, and savage 8 has a minion. They were famously hard to do legit back in their day, I'm not sure what the state is now (unsynced is easy of course)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think starting with A12 there's at least a minion drop for the last fight of every tier.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Do 'em once for the spectacle and story.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The reward is Gamer Knowledge because a lot of fight mechanics are reused, and also Lore Knowledge for a very specific Shadowbringers dungeon (you must also do the Stormblood raids for full Lore Knowledge of this). And also the last few fights are genuinely cool

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think raids 4, 8, and 12 in each normal raid can drop a minion but other than that you probably don't want loot from any of them, the gear sucks compared to the final tombstone stuff for that level and the dyeable versions are from savage.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Qwertycoatl posted:

The savage versions of 4 and 12 have a mount, and savage 8 has a minion. They were famously hard to do legit back in their day, I'm not sure what the state is now (unsynced is easy of course)

they should be soloable by 7.0, two people at cap right now can do it

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Doomykins posted:

Do 'em once for the spectacle and story.

I am. Also is there a site that lists rewards from raids. Wondering if Savage Coils has anything I want. I did all 12 normal

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I am. Also is there a site that lists rewards from raids. Wondering if Savage Coils has anything I want. I did all 12 normal

The rewards for Savage Second Coil are titles. They’re still pretty rare, but not near as hard to get.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If you search the name of the instance and select the ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com result they have a list of rewards at the bottom of the page.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The savage second coil titles are:

Rafflesia Reaper
Melusine Mauler
The Avatar
Domitor/Domitrix

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

The savage second coil titles are:

Rafflesia Reaper
Melusine Mauler
The Avatar
Domitor/Domitrix

ah very nice

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Only around 30% of the global playbase has any of those titles so still relatively rare even multiple expansions out.

Synced they’re still some of the most challenging fights in the game. I got my clears of them unsynced during HW. If I didn’t have a static full of people who I had already cleared the normal second coil with, I don’t think I would have the titles until much later.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Half the cat girls afk in Limsa use Domitrix

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
is there like, any mods that are equivalent to HealBot in WoW lol. I enjoy healing in every MMO but I feel like I'm back in 1999 clearing kunark raids with the way they have healing in this game. I want like, my heals assigned to my mouse buttons and clicking the name plates with it instead of giving myself carpel tunnel doing 1-9 + C-1-9 lol. You can DM me since its highly illegal to have mods in this game despite having some absolutely essential RP ones in the mods.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I BLU them all up. I know 10 levels ago the last one required digging for a critical direct hit, don't know how much easier scaling made that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i still just vibe with fashion leader. i know it's kindergarten tier but idc it's casual and fun

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You don’t need mods. You can just do things with a macro and <mo> as the target.

Setup a macro that is:
/ac “Action Name” <mo>

This will use the action on whoever is has the mouse clicker on top or them including the names in the party list. You can assign said macros to mouse buttons if you have a fancy multibutton mmo mouse. Of note, macros do not queue like regular skills and will not start until you GCD is fully reset if it’s a GCD skill and may be wonky with oGCDs. It’s not overly hard to set up these kinds of macros.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

is there like, any mods that are equivalent to HealBot in WoW lol. I enjoy healing in every MMO but I feel like I'm back in 1999 clearing kunark raids with the way they have healing in this game. I want like, my heals assigned to my mouse buttons and clicking the name plates with it instead of giving myself carpel tunnel doing 1-9 + C-1-9 lol. You can DM me since its highly illegal to have mods in this game despite having some absolutely essential RP ones in the mods.
As a controller player, I just use macros. I focus target the main tank and have all my single target heals macro'd to go to the focus targetted player. It's not the most efficient method of healing, since macros are inherently inefficient to use, but 90% of your st heals will go to the main tank and everything else you can either cover with an AoE or a quick manual target.

Edit: That <mo> macro mentioned above works even better. I'm pretty sure there's a default Dalamud mod that makes that easier to use, too.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
its also strange raiding in FF14 because its like bite size pieces of a raid. I'm used to a raid being a big thing but this feels oddly like, these raids don't exist in the world? in EQ, Classic WoW ect these raids existed in the world, yes there was trash and busy work ect instead of just bosses but this distilled form of raiding feels weirdly disjointed from the world ect. Things like that help the world feel more real, whereas in FF14 the overworld is dead and exists as an afterthought, you get barely any attachment to zones besides the 3 major cities.... its not bad and its different but there is something lost there

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

As a controller player, I just use macros. I focus target the main tank and have all my single target heals macro'd to go to the focus targetted player. It's not the most efficient method of healing, since macros are inherently inefficient to use, but 90% of your st heals will go to the main tank and everything else you can either cover with an AoE or a quick manual target.

Edit: That <mo> macro mentioned above works even better. I'm pretty sure there's a default Dalamud mod that makes that easier to use, too.

yeah but i also like using my toolkit efficiently and even just 2 aoes, 2 direct heals, 2 0CD heals, regen, and esuna would be better to just be able to cast off target from my mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my setup is f2-f8 for party members, heals are always on the left hand. and f1 is Icarus on SGE and AM on BLM. For self heals i ESC to untarget and then cast

but i'm a very grognard keyboard centric player that hates, hates, hates touching the mouse ever.