Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
What do you want as an outcome?

Keep in mind, the landscape is different than it was 4 years ago. Something that seemed fringe 4 years ago looks mainstream today due to chatgpt and other projects. In honesty, the pendulum has swung too far the other way and now a lot of things are being over-promised.

But to get back to you, saying your feelings are hurt are going to come off as an attack. So what do you want as an outcome? Would this be better as a more informal "Hey I just want to remind you I've been doing this stuff for a while too". The ship has probably sailed on them deciding to drop your coworker and and pick up your stuff. So it mostly depends on what you want to get out of this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

How about a short post in the meantime? I'm a machinist in a small company that's feeling increasingly shakey and would like a better contingency plan than just getting hired at another shop if things go boom. What are some other jobs I could pivot into? Ideally I'd like to have something that starts at 60 to 70k with out needing massive overtime to meet those numbers.

I'm not opposed to going back to school either at the whatever age of 33, so long as there's a good job to pay the loan afterwards. Thus far my brainstorms are engineering, or computer programming of machines or database backends. Ive also had suggestions that medical coding is a thing as well as radiology or xray tech, but I really don't want to do patient facing medical which the latter is. I am wholly aware that medical is the hot field right now, but I hate the thought of it.

Do we have a computer toucher thread? I'd like to at least find out what the correct terminolgy is for various flavors of IT so I can start doing proper research on it.
Have you just tried looking for other machinist work? I'm in IT, I frequently encourage other people to go into IT, but you're already in a field that from what I understand is incredibly understaffed, desperate for young blood, and should be relatively remunerative. I don't know where you live, but just looking and the City of Seattle is hiring machinists @$47-$52 an hour, PACCAR (which is considered a great employer in the area) is paying $41/hr. My understanding is that the work is also not as hard on you as most other blue-collar work, but I will admit to not being tremendously knowledgeable about it.

You can definitely make $60-70k in IT pretty easily, and you don't need a degree to do it, but most people I know definitely didn't start there. If you really wanted to do IT work, I think your idea of programming the machines that do the sort of poo poo you're already doing is your best bet, probably be able to ramp up on that sort of stuff pretty quickly.

I kind of hate to see someone with more material skills go into something that's, like, a lot more common and a lot less useful (no offense to my fellow computer touchers).

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

Does something like this seem reasonably well-worded? Any suggestions from others who have been in this position would most appreciated!

I'd probably not use the 'deaf ears' part, that's a bit aggro on the very person you're messaging.

Something else to consider: it might not be about the work, really. it might be about Chris, or the business at large? Maybe the other things you were doing then had more business value so they wanted you to stick with your known good stuff? maybe Chris has been disappointing elsewhere so they're happy he's growing as an employee?

otherwise idk, this seems like the sort of thing I'd bring up in a meeting (even a group meeting) not an email but orgs work differently

e: you may also try the corporate thread, people talk about stuff like this over there too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lockback posted:

this is super important

It sounds like OP is venting. If you want to vent, talk to a therapist, or :justpost:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Lockback posted:

Keep in mind, the landscape is different than it was 4 years ago. Something that seemed fringe 4 years ago looks mainstream today due to chatgpt and other projects. In honesty, the pendulum has swung too far the other way and now a lot of things are being over-promised.

But to get back to you, saying your feelings are hurt are going to come off as an attack. So what do you want as an outcome? Would this be better as a more informal "Hey I just want to remind you I've been doing this stuff for a while too". The ship has probably sailed on them deciding to drop your coworker and and pick up your stuff. So it mostly depends on what you want to get out of this conversation.

No bleeding edge ML stuff here. Just the realization that some bog-standard image segmentation stuff would work well for our application.

An informal approach is possibly fine. That's actually the point of my question: what is the best way to deal with this sort of situation.

As for what I want?

(1) Acknowledgement that my work was correct and valid.
(2) Drop co-worker and pick up my stuff.

Yes I know 2 won't happen.

pmchem posted:

Maybe the other things you were doing then had more business value so they wanted you to stick with your known good stuff?

otherwise idk, this seems like the sort of thing I'd bring up in a meeting (even a group meeting) not an email but orgs work differently

Your first point is correct. Any time I presented this stuff I was met with "that's neat but please refocus on your deliverables". Fast forward a few years, bigger team, and new guy finally arrives at the solution I presented (and advocated for) and this time the boss is all ears.

Interesting, as I would have thought bringing it up in a group meeting would come across as the more aggressive strategy, rather than a private conversation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is super important

It sounds like OP is venting. If you want to vent, talk to a therapist, or :justpost:

I am venting, but IMO its a legit vent. This seems like a valid work frustration to attempt to resolve.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hey thread - if you have a background in geography, geology, infrastructure, biology, environmental conservation, archeology, architectural history, or some aspects of federal environmental laws - FEMA’s Environmental Planning and Historic Preservation cadre is hiring reservist employees.

https://www.fema.gov/careers/position-types/reservists

I can say that in my experience- I went from being an intermittent reservist employee to full time within a year but before my first disaster related assignment it was 7 months of nothing after onboarding - just a few online trainings.

Depending on how disasters and bad weather shake out if you apply and get hired there may be no work for you for a while - but if you’re currently employed and thinking about transitioning into government work there’s been a development in the last few years: the CREW Act passed and FEMA reservists have the same USERRA employment protections as people in the National Guard.

https://www.fema.gov/sites/default/files/documents/fema_crew-act-userra-one-pager.pdf

FEMA is hiring reservists across the 23 different cadres, too, but I don’t have experience with the other disaster response groups in terms of specific experience that would really wow an interviewer.

Public Assistance might be interested if you have any experience in construction planning or inspecting construction.

Happy to answer any questions.

In my instance I have a background in geology and concrete petrography - I applied August 2020, got hired as a reservist March 2021, got my first substantive disaster assignment November 2021, got hired full time March 2022 as a GS9, and April 2023 got promoted to a GS11 in FEMA’s EHP group.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want more money. I’m in my mid 30s. I’m pretty dang good at my field. But the hard skills don’t have the best translation to other fields. My transferable skills like project management are pretty good.

I should just start applying to project management jobs at tech firms until one sticks.

E: my income on paper looks nice but I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country :(

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 15, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

So keep in mind you don't need to be doing bleeding edge stuff. Just in general duct taping AI on things is hot, and timing is REALLY important. So its not about you being overlooked, its just WAY more politically advantageous to pursue something like that right now than it was 3-4 years ago. Who you presented to may not have been able to do anything with your ideas then, but now they can get green field.

Cyril Sneer posted:

As for what I want?

(1) Acknowledgement that my work was correct and valid.
(2) Drop co-worker and pick up my stuff.

Yes I know 2 won't happen.

Even though you know #2 won't happen but the way you're approaching this now with your statement you will absolutely fall back into #2 and that will make you look awful as you pick a fight with Chris AFTER he already got approval and probably has a lot of shine.

pmchem posted:

DO NOT bring this up in a group meeting, never whine that someone else accomplished something to a group. You will absolutely come off at petulant and it will completely sink you. If you want to find another job by all means do so, but don't be drag your coworkers down.

I do think this is an in-person conversation and not a email though. Your email will be forwarded up the chain with "What's this guy's problem?"

So my advice:

Your statement is too formal and comes off, honestly childish. No one has a time machine so no one can really change the fact that this wasn't started 3-4 years ago. I think you can have a more informal conversation and just be honest. "I feel a little put-off because I tried to do this thing 3-4 years ago and now its getting traction with someone else. I (assume you) don't want a pity role on this project or anything, but I'd like to talk about how these things can be best brought up and what I could have done 3-4 years ago to get this kind of traction." Setup the conversation looking forward, not backwards and leave Chris out of it entirely. He got the W, you didn't this time, move past.

And, I'll double down on this, timing is VERY important. Ideas can go from "interesting but not worthwhile" to "Incredibly worthwhile" over the course of a couple years. Nothing was stopping you from re-introducing your idea before Chris did, he just realized the timing was good and you didn't. That's super important in business. There's no Dibs.

This is assuming Chris didn't maliciously steal your ideas outright, and instead just came at the same solution himself. If it's the former then it's a different conversation but you probably already lost and should be looking to leave.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback has given very good advice about how to best execute the conversation. If the OP can do it, they should follow that to a T.

But I don't think that the OP should have the conversation at all, because I don't think they're really in a space where they can do it without getting in to sour grapes poo poo that will have a negative impact on their career.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

But I don't think that the OP should have the conversation at all, because I don't think they're really in a space where they can do it without getting in to sour grapes poo poo that will have a negative impact on their career.

I agree with this too.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ham Equity posted:

Have you just tried looking for other machinist work? I'm in IT, I frequently encourage other people to go into IT, but you're already in a field that from what I understand is incredibly understaffed, desperate for young blood, and should be relatively remunerative. I don't know where you live, but just looking and the City of Seattle is hiring machinists @$47-$52 an hour, PACCAR (which is considered a great employer in the area) is paying $41/hr. My understanding is that the work is also not as hard on you as most other blue-collar work, but I will admit to not being tremendously knowledgeable about it.

You can definitely make $60-70k in IT pretty easily, and you don't need a degree to do it, but most people I know definitely didn't start there. If you really wanted to do IT work, I think your idea of programming the machines that do the sort of poo poo you're already doing is your best bet, probably be able to ramp up on that sort of stuff pretty quickly.

I kind of hate to see someone with more material skills go into something that's, like, a lot more common and a lot less useful (no offense to my fellow computer touchers).

I forget where I was reading that machining is technically on the decline for growth because of automation? I have yet to sit down to research any alternatives, including other machining jobs, because I've been so busy.
My plan is to do that and update my resume this Sunday. I also have some petty concerns about continuing in machining, and thus far it hasn't provided me with a good income. But that is likely something that can be fixed by going to another shop as I do know I am severly underpaid at $20 an hour.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah lockback is probably right. re: mentioning stuff in group, I did say that orgs differ on this. but framing matters a lot too. like, you can bring things up as "that's so neat Chris, I had a look at that a few years back with team X and we had some proof of concept results along the same lines that I think you'd really like looking at, want to see if they can help you?" etc etc. a lot of this depends on your social skills in your org (which people often... overrate)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I want more money. I’m in my mid 30s. I’m pretty dang good at my field. But the hard skills don’t have the best translation to other fields. My transferable skills like project management are pretty good.

I should just start applying to project management jobs at tech firms until one sticks.

E: my income on paper looks nice but I live in one of the highest cost of living areas in the country :(

What has the field in which you are pretty dang good? Are you not interested in getting more money by moving up in your field or are there unstated constraints in that direction?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Completely agree.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Habibi posted:

What has the field in which you are pretty dang good? Are you not interested in getting more money by moving up in your field or are there unstated constraints in that direction?

It’s a kind of niche thing in the public sector. I enjoy the field, but I’m basically making the max that I can expect to make UNLESS I move into management.

I like project management and I love collaborative work with disparate stakeholder groups to create something more than the sum of the parts. But I’m unsure managing a bunch of humans is where I want to go.

Also if I go into management then I have to leave my union, and I love my union! (Although if I go private sector I’d probably wind up without a union anyway).

There’s just one more step up the ladder before becoming management, but the organization has kind of moved away from including that position on the ladder.

What’s been your experience with the working life without a union?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Background: I’m currently in a terrible job in food manufacturing. I am through two rounds of interviews for a job that sounds less terrible in another field of manufacturing. The interviews have gone very well and I don’t want to get ahead of myself but it seems like after the third and final round there’s a real chance I will get an offer.

My current pay is around the top third of the pay range for this role. I also have 5 weeks of PTO now. If they offer around my current salary (there’s barely any room in the range to go higher), would it be crazy of me to ask for more PTO than their standard? I believe they start at 2 weeks, and it would be great not to go all the way from 5 back down to 2. Even if I could get 3 it would be much better.

But is that something that’s going to make me look really bad to ask for? I don’t want to fumble the chance to get out of my current hell-job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

No, probably not. Usually in manufacturing PTO works by seniority so you would be asking to be brought in with a seniority bump, which is a reasonable ask.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No, probably not. Usually in manufacturing PTO works by seniority so you would be asking to be brought in with a seniority bump, which is a reasonable ask.

Yeah from what I can gather that’s how it works there. Starts at 2 for about 5 years then starts ramping up.

I should also mention this is a management, salary position, not an hourly position. And I’m coming from a salary management position as well.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Turbinosamente posted:

I forget where I was reading that machining is technically on the decline for growth because of automation? I have yet to sit down to research any alternatives, including other machining jobs, because I've been so busy.
My plan is to do that and update my resume this Sunday. I also have some petty concerns about continuing in machining, and thus far it hasn't provided me with a good income. But that is likely something that can be fixed by going to another shop as I do know I am severly underpaid at $20 an hour.
Take everything I say about machining with a grain of salt. It's the thing that I kind of latched onto as my idealized "if I had everything to do over, this is what I would like to do," just because you actually make poo poo, and I'm at the point now where I feel like every new piece of technology just makes things worse, so having to keep up with it is a mild form of self-torture.

I'm just jealous of your profession (not your job, you should be making way loving more than that). :smith:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Background: I’m currently in a terrible job in food manufacturing. I am through two rounds of interviews for a job that sounds less terrible in another field of manufacturing. The interviews have gone very well and I don’t want to get ahead of myself but it seems like after the third and final round there’s a real chance I will get an offer.

My current pay is around the top third of the pay range for this role. I also have 5 weeks of PTO now. If they offer around my current salary (there’s barely any room in the range to go higher), would it be crazy of me to ask for more PTO than their standard? I believe they start at 2 weeks, and it would be great not to go all the way from 5 back down to 2. Even if I could get 3 it would be much better.

But is that something that’s going to make me look really bad to ask for? I don’t want to fumble the chance to get out of my current hell-job.

If they're going to withdraw their offer for you trying to negotiate, it's another helljob and you don't want it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It’s a kind of niche thing in the public sector. I enjoy the field, but I’m basically making the max that I can expect to make UNLESS I move into management.

I like project management and I love collaborative work with disparate stakeholder groups to create something more than the sum of the parts. But I’m unsure managing a bunch of humans is where I want to go.

Also if I go into management then I have to leave my union, and I love my union! (Although if I go private sector I’d probably wind up without a union anyway).

There’s just one more step up the ladder before becoming management, but the organization has kind of moved away from including that position on the ladder.

What’s been your experience with the working life without a union?

I've never had a union to compare but basically "you'll make more money. Don't spend it because you also might be laid off".

Is there any reason to not try for a pm job and see what you can get? There's too many scenarios without real offers in hand.

You might consider if there's value in trying to make it to mgmt for the benefits and pensions. Then jump private with life time benefits. Even better if that title gets you somewhere as a contractor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah from what I can gather that’s how it works there. Starts at 2 for about 5 years then starts ramping up.

I should also mention this is a management, salary position, not an hourly position. And I’m coming from a salary management position as well.

I kind of assumed management based on the numbers you were talking about before. In my experience (auto), it's still seniority based for management for PTO. Not unusual to do a seniority carryover/bump for management. You should ask. It's not weird.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Ham Equity posted:

If they're going to withdraw their offer for you trying to negotiate, it's another helljob and you don't want it.

That’s true, but it’s pretty hard to overemphasize the level of helljob I’m experiencing now. I’m working 10-12 hours a day, and on top of that have 7pm and 3am calls daily. With no sign of it ending.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I kind of assumed management based on the numbers you were talking about before. In my experience (auto), it's still seniority based for management for PTO. Not unusual to do a seniority carryover/bump for management. You should ask. It's not weird.

Got it, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t asking for something outrageous.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Xguard86 posted:

I've never had a union to compare but basically "you'll make more money. Don't spend it because you also might be laid off".

Is there any reason to not try for a pm job and see what you can get? There's too many scenarios without real offers in hand.

You might consider if there's value in trying to make it to mgmt for the benefits and pensions. Then jump private with life time benefits. Even better if that title gets you somewhere as a contractor.

Yeah, I agree with you.

At a certain point I just need to start applying to PM jobs and jobs that are somewhat related to my field.

The public sector pension benefits aren’t even that good anymore tbh. Any difference in earning from most company retirement stuff is more than made up by the increase in income which could go to savings/investment.

Just need to start applying. I’ve got the cold feet about making such a big life change and I’ve got self-doubt about whether I could succeed in a different field. Just doing an application a week to at least build the habit would be nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I could use some general advice.

:siren: Firstly, I'd respectfully ask that if someone takes the time to reply to me to not quote the below. I don't like putting much "personal" stuff online and will probably edit/delete some of this in the future. But to get proper feedback I kinda need to give some detail. I hope that's OK and understandable :siren:

I'm 50 and I've been with the same company for 31 years. I can't be too specific with what I do as it would probably identify my company, but I started at the bottom of the company, got into middle management, when we were merged with another company (seniority carried over) I went into a slightly different position (less managerial responsibility) but still made good money with a technical field sales position. it's a fairly niche position. The general "technical sales" position is not terribly rare, but the part of industry that I specialize in isn't super common. It's one of those jobs where if someone asks me what I do I have to boil it down to the absolute basics and even then I get a quizzical look that they don't really understand, but that's OK.

I've been happy most of my career, but the last couple years have been brutal. My company has taken a different management direction and totally shaken up the company direction. It's an old cliche, but it is totally a "yeah but what have you done for us lately" vibe. I'm literally coming off of 3x record years (we've done very well) and I am not complaining about what I take home for $$ and benefits, but these management directives are totally awful and blatently counter productive, but I bet they make sense to the MBAs. Even my direct report says its totally insane and he openly says to us (I have 2 peers) "this is bullshit, and I hate saying to do this because it's insane, but it is what it is."

Long and short of it, I dislike my job. Actually, scratch that. I don't hate my job, but I now actively loathe what my company and upper management has become and where they are giving every signal the direction they are going towards. To the point of I do not respect them in the slightest. They are two-faced, will say one thing to our faces and then totally do the opposite with batshit insane one size fits all directives which are crazy and everyone in upper management are total yes-men. They want to become and everything for everybody in an effort to get more business but it's just a recipe for disaster and us old timers recognize this immediately from other companies somewhat related to our industry.

I do like my coworkers and have nothing against my immediate manager. I think they're all good people.

Me personally, is I have high school, some industry specific education, and a partial university degree. I quit going thru with the university degree (management) after I realized the company I was working for would see no value in it for promotion (which, in hindsight is probably a good thing) and, as I was getting older I realized I have hopefully way fewer years ahead of me for my working career than behind, so I thought why put myself through that. I also discovered for the first time in my life a real passion which takes much of my personal time.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. A head hunter from our largest direct competitor reached out to me and said "hey, are you interested in talking about a position we have?" I replied I'm not actively looking, but then I started thinking about it... why wasn't I? There is no harm in talking. I have a job and I can always say no if discussions are fruitless or i get a bad feeling about it. I once spoke to a headhunter years ago and they said the best time to look for a job is when you already have one. So I did some cursory checking.

So, long and short of it they have an open position for 95% of what I do already, where I am. Actually, more like what I *used* to do 5+ years ago, which is where I think we/I am strongest.

I am not naive and don't think the grass is always greener on the other side, but this is a little unique. Firstly, the person who would be my direct manager actually left my company less than a year ago in apparent disgust. I've met him previously when he was with us and I think he is a bit of a kindred spirit in many ways. I know my current manager *really* likes him, and when he found out he left our company and then started with our major competitor, it kinda shook him a bit. My upper management took a total "Meh, no big loss" but this only further pushed me to think even more that our company has become totally out of touch. Good people like that are a loss.

Anyhow, so what I've done is polished up my resume and sent it in to the employer. I received a reply almost immediately that they were interested and wanted to do the next step (some online personality thing). Last night I received an email from the fellow I spoke about above saying "Slidebite, I saw your interest in this position. Needless to say, your reputation precedes you and I am very interested in talking to you. Let's talk."

Which brings me to today and this post.

I'm planing on talking to him next week.
Personal info:

We're financially very stable and fortunate. *SNIP* And if not, a part time job to pay the basic monthly expenses of, say, $1000 month would probably be enough.

That said, I'm not sure I want to do this anymore. I mean, if it's a good company (I haven't heard anything terrible) I'm not against it, but it is a little scary. I do know that I'm not happy with my current employer and I don't really see myself being here for much longer either way. I've can sense myself I've started to become disengaged with my job.

However, I guess here is where my question is:

Since I have a significant amount of time (over 30 years) with my company, I am tempted to go to my upper management and say "Hey. I'm tired. I'm thinking of leaving. How about you package me out and give me a iron clad non-competition clause so I don't go elsewhere" but I'm not sure if I should do that or what their response would be. The unspoken underlying "threat" here is that I will probably go elsewhere and cost them a gently caress ton of money in lost business, which I think is a real concern but I wouldn't of course outright say that.

And I don't have a job offer yet, but I think I am pretty confident that if I jumped ship to my competitor it would be a coup for them.

Our company has had formal "early retirement" programs like that in the past where people over 10 years of the company and a certain age, but I see no sign of one on the horizon... although with rumours of a rescission coming up, who knows what they're really thinking. They are all about shareholder value, so if they think that makes sense, I wouldn't put it past them. But I don't have a crystal ball. I do know last time they did they lost a lot of good people which hurt, but my company isn't terribly smart and doesn't really learn from their mistakes or retain institutional knowledge well.

Either way, I plan on "talking" to the other company and hearing what they have to say. Assuming they make a job offer that interests me/isn't terrible, should I give my company an opportunity to retire me with a non-competition clause (and favourable terms) or just give my notice and leave and potentially forgo 30+ years of severance?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 17, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
It sounds like you've thought this through very well. You understand the risks of the unknowns at the competitor vs. The known bullshit where you are.

You have no real control over your current company. If this has been a years-long trend it is not likely to reverse. You also know that someone in a similar position to you left and their position was "lol who cares." I don't feel like negotiating with them without an offer-in-hand would be productive.

Id also would be particularly concerned about taking a counter given the attitude they have.

Lastly, seniority seems the biggest advantage of your current position, and new management has basically told you they find that worthless. I think they are telling you what you need to know.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Either way, I plan on "talking" to the other company and hearing what they have to say. Assuming they make a job offer that interests me/isn't terrible, should I give my company an opportunity to retire me with a non-competition clause (and favourable terms) or just give my notice and leave and potentially forgo 30+ years of severance?

What does the typical severance at your company look like?

I'm definitely not an expert in sales stuff, but to me, it sounds like if you go to your company and ask for a severance before jumping ship, you're calling a lot of attention to yourself, and inviting potential legal action (how sure are you there's no non-compete in place already?).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You're overthinking it. Your current employer is getting terrible and a different employer is actively recruiting you. Jump ship.

Waiting for a package is a bad move, and you probably aren't quite ready for retirement yet. I don't see the downside here other than I think you feel too comfortable and you have anxiety about taking another job. What advice would you give to someone else in that position?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

96 spacejam posted:

I've had a very successful career but cannot find a new opportunity.

I was a double digit employee at a "cool" company that had a very sexy IPO in 2016. Got poached by the guys who created Beats (before by Dre) and led marketing for their headphone company trying to piggyback off the EDM/DJ culture of the time. Those guys were loving idiots so when I got poached by another lifestyle company (w/ a product) I took it.

That was the past 6 years. Created a Gaming department inside a very famous action sports company and in five years overtook the marketing budget for action sports and the 3 other core marketing pillars.

The IPO, bonuses, RSUs, etc allowed me to take 6 months off. Much needed as I was traveling to Europe every 2 weeks for 6 days at a time for nearly my entire tenure.

Going back has been really frustrating. I'm a great interviewer and have made it to the final interview only to lose out to the other person because my experience is a bit more scattered than most due to the start-up situations.

I've been hammering Linkedin hard. What other career sites should one be using in 2023? Is there any tips for the above?

So I had a similar situation in 2021: quit a pretty high profile job in a high profile company, very strong interviewer, but have a portfolio CV. LI isn’t really good in my experience as it will filter you out for senior roles unless you have a very deep industry specialism. Once you have been in a prominent/senior role you really need to (a) hit up your network regularly for rumors; and (b) find a good executive headhunter. Also it’s hard to get more junior roles: the couple I was looking at told me outright there was no point to interview because the assumption was I would quit as soon as the next senior role came along (to be fair this was correct).

After quitting I spent a year as an independent consultant to my former industry which was great for QoL and autonomy and horrible for my savings. Current job came from someone I used to work with calling me up, and in the same month I had two or three similar calls after a clear year of banging my head against LinkedIn. Work your network, people. Everyone with an open HC wants to fill it yesterday.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

slidebite posted:

I could use some general advice.

:siren: Firstly, I'd respectfully ask that if someone takes the time to reply to me to not quote the below. I don't like putting much "personal" stuff online and will probably edit/delete some of this in the future. But to get proper feedback I kinda need to give some detail. I hope that's OK and understandable :siren:

Hey Im not sure what bits you are sensitive about, but be aware this forum is open for reading (and Google archiving) right now. So you probably want to blank whatever sooner rather than later.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

You're overthinking it. Your current employer is getting terrible and a different employer is actively recruiting you. Jump ship.

Waiting for a package is a bad move, and you probably aren't quite ready for retirement yet. I don't see the downside here other than I think you feel too comfortable and you have anxiety about taking another job. What advice would you give to someone else in that position?

:yeah:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lockback posted:

I don't see the downside here other than I think you feel too comfortable and you have anxiety about taking another job.

I feel this for the op and for myself

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

You goons give good advice and I appreciate our community

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lockback & KYOON consistently giving good advice.

Go do something more interesting with the last decade of your career.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Appreciate the replies.

Ham Equity posted:

What does the typical severance at your company look like?
Well, the last round they were confidential but I have it on reasonably good authority that on average they did something like pay you for the next 2-3 years, including benefits, depending on tenure.

It's a puzzling move but the bean counters I guess look at it as that labor gets put onto a different column of the ledger sheet which makes it OK for expenses.

I would really prefer that, and go on to do something completely different, but if I wait for them to offer one I feel like it might not ever come.

quote:

I'm definitely not an expert in sales stuff, but to me, it sounds like if you go to your company and ask for a severance before jumping ship, you're calling a lot of attention to yourself, and inviting potential legal action (how sure are you there's no non-compete in place already?).
Yep, if I made a threat to leave I absolutely 100% agree that's bringing a LOT of attention to myself. For sure, which is why I am super hesitant about that and kind of soliciting thoughts from you kind folks.

Regarding non-compete, yeah, I'm pretty sure. I haven't signed anything for *years* and I'm pretty careful with what I sign. We've had a couple others jump over the past few years and we've recruited from competitors as well and I haven't heard of any lawsuits or anything. It's kind of an incestuous industry. A few of us are lifers, but some do float around every few years.

Regarding my company and stuff I caught for fine print... For example, I refused to take go to an international meeting (my company is American and I am in Canada) because the conditions/waiver you had to agree to when booking the trip were unexpected. Basically we (or my survivors/heirs) can't sue the company (my own company) if anything happens for any reason, even if it was their fault. So I said, whelp, no thanks. Besides, why would you make your own employees agree to that? It's just indicative of the whole corporate direction. It think the last meeting before this in 2021 turned into a super spreader event which probably precipitated the waiver.

Anyhow, I told them I wasn't going to go with those conditions. They weren't happy about it, but that's on them, not on me. I still had a job.

But I also have a meeting on Monday where the president of our company division is going to be there and I give it a better than 50% chance he's going to say something along the lines of "if you don't like this direction, there's the door." That's his attitude.

Lockback posted:

I would almost certainly say the "Explore the opportunity and talk to them" which is what I'm doing.

BUT ~31 years is a long time and I have no doubt that if I left they know they risk losing well in the 7-figures of revenue. Which, even worse, would potentially or, fairly likely, significantly follow me if I so desired. And they, while making some batshit insane corporate decisions, may have a glimmer of rationality and think it's easier/cheaper to placate me... and then I can do something else totally unrelated like drive a snow plow at the airport or star in daddy kink porno or something.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 17, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, if you think you can twist there arm go for it. I'd get everything lined up with company B first and see if its what you want or if you'd rather take the cash out.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I wouldn't worry too much about it. These days the norm is that you change jobs every so often, and whether or not the company loses 7 figures of revenue if you leave is not for you to care about.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh I'm not worried about them, I'm hoping for it. they're a multi-billion $$ company. I'm hoping to leverage that so they give me a bit of a golden handshake. I'm just not entirely sure how to best approach it.

Lockback posted:

I mean, if you think you can twist there arm go for it. I'd get everything lined up with company B first and see if its what you want or if you'd rather take the cash out.
Yeah. I think either way going through their recruitment process and see if they give me an offer (I shouldn't be presumptuous) is when I really need to get serious how to do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Trying to twist the arm of a company with proven rear end in a top hat leadership is at best not productive.

Why are they gonna give you a golden handshake? Why would they do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The reason is what they have to lose if I were to become an asset to someone else, especially in my geographical area.

Call it what you will, golden handshake, early retirement, packaged out, whatever it may be plus a solid non compete clause would probably have some logic and, in my opinion, be the best case scenario. Hell, I could even have time to mentor a replacement, which, in fairness I doubt would happen as when they did packages earlier and had months of notice they *never* did any mentoring or cross training until it was literally their last 2-3 days on the job and it cost us a poo poo ton. We still haven't quite recovered in many regards and that was pre-Covid.

I'm not so into myself to think I'm indispensable, I know I'm not. I'm just a schmuck. People leave, people get sick, people move, people get hit by buses every day and life goes on. And, corporately we've done some very bizarre things in the past that show they'd rather lose a million to save a thousand from time to time (another reason I don't have much faith in executive leadership). So I'm not holding my breath or counting on, what I think, would be rational behaviour.

I agree that an arm twist or ultimatum would not be viewed well (how could it) but I don't know any other way to let them know I'm seriously considering leaving and they might want to consider an action to have me on side than not.

At the end of the day, the card I have is I have some value with my knowledge and relationships. While not *easily* replaceable, eventually I would be in some form or other like anyone else, but that takes having the right person and *years* of experience.

I am likely quite valuable to others right from day one. Turnkey value. They may not see that as a very strong card, and maybe it isn't.

You know, as I have taken the time to type this out, I can realize that they are not exactly known for rational behaviour. I suspect there is virtually no chance, even if this made financial sense, for them to do it now, so the more I am thinking about this replying here, the more I'm thinking it's less likely to happen.