Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dr. Stab posted:

Does the outpost system feeding back into itself lead anywhere useful? Because I'd love to set up this huge intersolar production chain, but only if it actually does something. Doesn't have to be a lot, but it just seems like there's no goal there. Right now it just seems like I can build better miners to mine more ore to build more miners.

Not really, no. A sufficient setup can let you easily mod your gear and prepare meds and (passably useful) meals but if you care about efficiency you're better off just buying the materials needed for that stuff when you need it.

The point of building an outpost is to build an outpost. At least you can make a cool hangout for some of your followers and have a big museum of your best armors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I only really pick/mine things up if there's a weapon/spacesuit mod I want to make and I track the reagents required. Then I just pick up things with the magnifying glass symbol next to them. It's made subsequent playthroughs much more enjoyable and faster paced.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

heard u like girls posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if even Cora iced some dudes over a book or some poo poo

well I certainly am doing that for her.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Chillmatic posted:

The designer/writer who clearly is one of those "Liking books is my whole personality" people must be exhausting to be around.

shes a kid my mans.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

beelining the main quest really makes it stick out how much crafting, settlements and starships do not matter. all three systems are 100% optional. the game throws money at you and i used the first yellow gun, suit and helmet i found- within the first two hours- all the way through to the credits rolling.

why are people picking up and selling ten manila folders??

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
because people find it fun?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

I do know that NPC AI could become a performance concern in previous titles when you had too many of them in one place, all tracking internal schedules and calculating pathing. They might have ditched some of that in service to much denser populations in city centers.

It's another one of those funny things that was widely mocked for just being a basic loop of the same actions every day and feeling fake and is now being called a devolution for removing it.

IIRC ai packages are just snippets of papyrus script (the engine scripting language), which means it really eats performance like a motherfucker because of the interpreter. That said, getting npcs to do interesting/varied things is mainly a question of how much time you want to spend setting conditions, schedules and debugging. Which is another reason why it likely got culled in places.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

I know, that’s what I keep hitting her with.

I put 3 points in shotguns, I get the god tier ones! Also, I’ve seriously only ever seen the one big bang…

Wait… the quality of weapons you find goes up if you put points into a weapons skill? I thought it was random. Is that why I can’t find good Las or plasma weapons?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

if you could marry the quests/stories of Starfield with the space capitalism/space travel mechanics simulator of X4 you'd have something special

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

E; ^ real

The game needs to either let you manufacture ship parts (and whole ships), use large amounts of resources to mod ship parts like we can weapons and armor, or give us some kind of big money sink, if they want outposts to have a purpose beyond existing for their own sake.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ms Adequate posted:

E; ^ real

The game needs to either let you manufacture ship parts (and whole ships), use large amounts of resources to mod ship parts like we can weapons and armor, or give us some kind of big money sink, if they want outposts to have a purpose beyond existing for their own sake.

If the endgame is a money sink, It also needs a way to convert stuff into money that isn't sitting in a chair in the new Atlantis trade authority for an in-game month so you can slowly trickle in money.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The outpost ui terrible, absolutely terrible on on pc imo. I dont want outposts to have more of a place in this game until that is fixed tbh.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

boar guy posted:

why are people picking up and selling ten manila folders??

I did it at first because that's what I did in Fallout 4 and any game where you can pick up junk. But before I enabled weight cheat it was untenable to really bring anything to loot and sinking hella upgrades and suit slots on inventory felt boring. I never needed more money anyway, the few times I wanted to upgrade my ship parts I had plenty just from missions and selling guns and whatever now and then. Enabling weight cheat I could pick up anything... but that introduced a lot of busywork of selling all that crap to vendors who ran out of money quickly.

And since I didn't need money ever, and didn't enjoy going into yet more menus to sell junk items, I resolved to just cheat myself money when I ever needed a bunch of it to save myself the busywork... but never found anything I wanted to buy let alone didn't have enough money for already.

I think anyone still doing it after playing the game a few days isn't really tho king about whether it's worthwhile or not, it's just a loop they're willing to run around in.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Do the main NPCs at the Red Mile lose their important flag at any point in this game? When I began that quest line, I didn't exactly like their attitudes. I wanted to clean up shop, but the game doesn't let me.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Khanstant posted:

I did it at first because that's what I did in Fallout 4 and any game where you can pick up junk. But before I enabled weight cheat it was untenable to really bring anything to loot and sinking hella upgrades and suit slots on inventory felt boring. I never needed more money anyway, the few times I wanted to upgrade my ship parts I had plenty just from missions and selling guns and whatever now and then. Enabling weight cheat I could pick up anything... but that introduced a lot of busywork of selling all that crap to vendors who ran out of money quickly.

And since I didn't need money ever, and didn't enjoy going into yet more menus to sell junk items, I resolved to just cheat myself money when I ever needed a bunch of it to save myself the busywork... but never found anything I wanted to buy let alone didn't have enough money for already.

I think anyone still doing it after playing the game a few days isn't really tho king about whether it's worthwhile or not, it's just a loop they're willing to run around in.

I thought it was because the Commerce challenges require you to sell several different items to unlock the ability to spend a skill point to get the next rank.

Still kinda worthless, but there ya go.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

because people find it fun?

can you explain what is fun about the process of picking up and then selling 10 manilla folders either in real life or in a video game

i dont really understand the whole deal with junk items. a few odds and ends laying around to help color the world makes sense but bethesda goes seriously overboard with it and it seems like there is a faction of players who encourage this, especially since fallout4, and theyve done it even more with this one, its like there's a secret underlying theme of junk items gaining sentience as some kind of hive mind and taking over the universe by sheer volume

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

widespread posted:

I thought it was because the Commerce challenges require you to sell several different items to unlock the ability to spend a skill point to get the next rank.

Still kinda worthless, but there ya go.

You could just buy out jemison mercantile and sell it all back to max that skill.

e: the real reason is to decorate your office in your outpost.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Earwicker posted:

can you explain what is fun about the process of picking up and then selling 10 manilla folders either in real life or in a video game

i dont really understand the whole deal with junk items. a few odds and ends laying around to help color the world makes sense but bethesda goes seriously overboard with it and it seems like there is a faction of players who encourage this, especially since fallout4, and theyve done it even more with this one, its like there's a secret underlying theme of junk items gaining sentience as some kind of hive mind and taking over the universe by sheer volume

Most people aren't picking up the junk items, they're getting overloaded from the weapons and gear that drop when you kill enemies. The only time I've ended up with lots of that garbage is when editing my ship, then it comes back at some point and happens all over again next time you edit your ship.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

You could just buy out jemison mercantile and sell it all back to max that skill.

e: the real reason is to decorate your office in your outpost.

Oh true. I do need my cubicle nightmare to be as furnished and handcrafted as the rest of them.

:sigh: I miss scrapping items for materials.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

During a conversation i noticed Andreja had cool patches on her suit. Then i recognized one of them, and it's the skills, and each level of skill is it's own embroidered patch.

I never looked closely at them but some of them are pretty awesome, like the level 4 pickpocket.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Powershift posted:

During a conversation i noticed Andreja had cool patches on her suit. Then i recognized one of them, and it's the skills, and each level of skill is it's own embroidered patch.

I never looked closely at them but some of them are pretty awesome, like the level 4 pickpocket.

just wearing my pick pocketing badge around town

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

just wearing my pick pocketing badge around town

No sir that isn't a skyrim meme as a patch. I can break your bones with anything.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Powershift posted:

they have it on their constellation spacesuits too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haha what the gently caress game, you take away my ships but don't reset the enemy vessels, so either I can fly around in that dumb ng+ ship or I can tey to take on a level 30 Spacer Racoon II in the default constellation??

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Khanstant posted:

Come to think of it Terramorph is the first enemy I killed in the game lol. I didn't fight the pirates in the intro and the first planet and outpost O explored was an abandoned corpsey one with a single terramorph, like level 20 or 30 I forget. Only weapon I had was cutter and a couple emergency axes so I spent 15 minutes chopping at him while strafing in a circle, he could sometimes hit but mostly whiffed or waddled between me and the robot. I was expecting cooler treasure from him but idk why.

lol me too, I kited him around with Vasco and I thought it was real strange that it wasn't like ever brought up again.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
Having an issue with base building. Is there any way to manually shift something up and down? I can't build the large landing pad at my outpost on a small hill because the foundation is too tall, but if I make a small landing pad it'll say I can build the big one because when they overlap in the build menu, technically the large one is 'lower' so I could build it, but I can only have one landing pad.

Really confusing, just need to get that big rear end landing pad so I can finally build my ship (without fast travelling 5-10 times to check parts)

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Did anyone at Bethesda test the ship building part of the game?

There's just no way to build a multi-deck ship that doesn't turn into a confusing, illogical maze inside, unless you force it by leaving empty spaces everywhere between habs. Incredibly annoying.

No way to see the layout either without completing the build and going inside.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Philonius posted:

Did anyone at Bethesda test the ship building part of the game?

There's just no way to build a multi-deck ship that doesn't turn into a confusing, illogical maze inside, unless you force it by leaving empty spaces everywhere between habs. Incredibly annoying.

No way to see the layout either without completing the build and going inside.

No way to like, start from scratch either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish this game would make secondary NPCs shut up whenever primary ones are having scripted conversations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What do you keep what do you lose on NG+?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
you keep levels/skills/powers

you lose everything else

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Philonius posted:

Did anyone at Bethesda test

Why even keep typing lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The only thing you keep is your skills/powers.

You do get a “default” starborn kit for your baseline gear and ship.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Elendil004 posted:

What do you keep what do you lose on NG+?

You keep your level, skills, traits, powers, and research. You lose everything else, including inventory, credits, ships, and outposts. You start NG+ with some powerful armor and a powerful Starborn ship with a small amount of unique resources and that's it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

After two days of real life stuff, I got back. Now I'm visiting Akkila. This got a chuckle of me:

The city design is 100% old west, including brick & mortar building and wooden windows and... suddenly that stand take from Neon or Altantis city??

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

After two days of real life stuff, I got back. Now I'm visiting Akkila. This got a chuckle of me:

The city design is 100% old west, including brick & mortar building and wooden windows and... suddenly that stand take from Neon or Altantis city??

One guy on the design team didn't get the memo that he wasn't working on skyrim until he was already almost done.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Turin Turambar posted:

they hired arthmoor to put lore friendly quest kiosks in

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Valleyant posted:

They're essential. You can't kill them.

I'm looking forward to games in federal agency punk settings. OSHA-punk, FAA-punk, the possibilities are endless

UUUUUUURRRRRGH!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chillmatic posted:

Early in my career I worked for a studio that was described as a "retirement home for over-the-hill 90's game developers", and I feel like Bethesda is fast approaching that point. It's often touted as a good thing that they have very little turnover; many employees there have been around since the Morrowind days or even earlier. But I think that explains a lot about why their games have not meaningfully evolved in the time since.

Yeah I feel the same. I never worked with them directly, but Todd always gave me Ken Levine vibes and that guy was terrible to work with because he would veto everything to make sure it was done his way. Sometime that formula can work, but when these guys are like 80 years old and out of touch its probably time for new juice. Realistically he'll probably stick around until the next Scrolls game, so the next Fallout will probably be lead by newer people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

A world where people use hard hats as toilets

Clipboards as shields

Decorative safety goggles on top of every head

Indentured public servants filling out incident reports 18 hours a day for the sexual gratification of an audience