Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not to defend somebody I don't know, but the game itself is definitely in some level of full development in that I've seen footage and such, it just seems like a first-time, solo effort. More than some ideas scribbled on paper, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Godspeed, friend.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordja posted:

Hey gang, I'm attempting a career shift into the weird, wild world of videogames. Somebody liked my portfolio enough that he's offered me a writing contract for his game. Problem is, he's asking me to scope out my timeline and pay rate and I'm only used to working the corporate 9-5 where I didn't have to think about that stuff. My old job was QA and while I did go to school for writing about 10000 years ago, outside of some early internships/assistant roles, I don't have much professional experience, so he's really bringing me on based on my short stories and some volunteer writing/editing I've done for some mods and in-dev indie titles. I'll just post the email since there's nothing identifying in it:

For context, I'm pretty sure the guy I'm corresponding with is the studio's founder and only full-time employee, who also has his own day job, so I don't want to scare him off by asking for too much. Since this would be my first professional games writing gig, the experience is more important to me than the money, but at the same time I don't want to screw myself over. I should be talking to the dev on the phone for the first time on Tuesday and I'll ask about some budget stuff then.

im in Canada btw, if that matters

I dunno what your situation is but assuming he's willing to pay you for hours billed up front or biweekly or monthly it could be a good learning experience for how to work with clients on writing for projects? Its something you can add to your portfolio which sounds like is what is the thing you're looking to get out of this in addition to whatever financial compensation seems fair.

The simplest thing is to google online for Canada what a maybe fair entry level rate is for technical writing or editing role is and then just offer to send a monthly invoice for hours billed with clear logging of the work you've done.

If you figure out what a fair rate would be, be sure to let me us know, particularly me as I'm wanting to track down in my Excel Spreadsheet of DOOM Artists/Writers such rates as for my game project the work you're trying to do might be one day something I'm interested in as well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mordja posted:

Not to defend somebody I don't know, but the game itself is definitely in some level of full development in that I've seen footage and such, it just seems like a first-time, solo effort. More than some ideas scribbled on paper, at least.

How is it in full swing when the portion that has a lot of the work done in pre production is not done?

Edit: we aren't trying to be negative. We've all been down this road as greenhorns.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Alterian posted:

How is it in full swing when the portion that has a lot of the work done in pre production is not done?

Edit: we aren't trying to be negative. We've all been down this road as greenhorns.

I think the idea is that the Dev has prototyped some of the gameplay and recorded footage like some kind of devlog of the work done so far; which makes sense.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bill by the hour, and get paid regularly (weekly or something).

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno what your situation is but assuming he's willing to pay you for hours billed up front or biweekly or monthly it could be a good learning experience for how to work with clients on writing for projects? Its something you can add to your portfolio which sounds like is what is the thing you're looking to get out of this in addition to whatever financial compensation seems fair.
Thanks, it's this kind of stuff I find helpful. And yeah, I've looked up games writing wages on my own, natch.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the idea is that the Dev has prototyped some of the gameplay and recorded footage like some kind of devlog of the work done so far; which makes sense.
Yeah, keep in mind, all I'm coming onboard to do is write copy for the game, I assume he's just not a great writer and is using early/placeholder text right now while he works on the actual mechanics.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You should get clarification on the scope of the work he wants you to do and how much creative freedom he expects you to exercise. Is he going to provide you with all of the details, and you just wordsmith it into something that reads well? Or are you expected to fill in the gaps between the big items that he knows he wants? Or are you inventing everything? The more freedom you have to work, the more groundwork you're going to need to lay before you start actually writing words that will show up in the finished product; make sure he's aware of that and is on-board with you billing hours that "don't produce anything" because you need to e.g. outline how some faction works and what their backstory is.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
It's extremely important that you get a Statement of Work. Period. Do not move until you get this in writing because scope creep is a hell of thing.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am very confused going to Unreal from Unity. I was expecting to have to do build a little sandcastle fort by stacking individual grains of sand with tweezers. Instead, it's holding my hand so much and obfuscating everything to the point that I'm not sure how to actually change anything. This is not what I expected.

I had started from an empty level and enabled the stock third person game mode with a start point. So now I have a camera following a player from the start point I define. How do I then get the camera to, say, look more top-down and just stay in one orientation over the player?

Something else I'm wondering for much later is how I can serialize state to save a game mid-flight. I had all this Unity code but I'm assuming if Unreal has something like ECS that I could save my component states and probably get 90% of that right there.

Also, Linux support. Like, the last thing I really had me stuck on Windows was the Unity editor, so I think my next computer could just be a Linux box or something.

Very strange feels here.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am very confused going to Unreal from Unity. I was expecting to have to do build a little sandcastle fort by stacking individual grains of sand with tweezers. Instead, it's holding my hand so much and obfuscating everything to the point that I'm not sure how to actually change anything. This is not what I expected.

I had started from an empty level and enabled the stock third person game mode with a start point. So now I have a camera following a player from the start point I define. How do I then get the camera to, say, look more top-down and just stay in one orientation over the player?

Something else I'm wondering for much later is how I can serialize state to save a game mid-flight. I had all this Unity code but I'm assuming if Unreal has something like ECS that I could save my component states and probably get 90% of that right there.

Also, Linux support. Like, the last thing I really had me stuck on Windows was the Unity editor, so I think my next computer could just be a Linux box or something.

Very strange feels here.

Open the player blueprint and look how its set up to do the camera stuff. Look at the camera settings because you can turn off things like pawn control rotation. Is it attached to a spring arm? See how thats attached. I don't have it open in front of me and its been a while.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Very strange feels here.

Unity editor works on Linux. Not that I expect you care at this point.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

leper khan posted:

Even as a Linux user I've been wary about telling people this. In my experience with the 2021 LTS once the project gets big enough weird editor errors start happening. If the 2022 LTS or 2023 normal version have fixed this, then I would consider that accurate. Haven't touched Unity in a while because of that, and not inclined to now because of everything else.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Linux users made their choice now let them live with it. :v:

For the most part I don't think Unity hides very much, you have your Game Objects in the scene and your scripts attached to those game objects. Which includes the camera, so you can just look at the camera, or the player, and the scripts attached to them to see who is fiddling with the camera.

The camera could also be parented to the player gameobject as well. So depending on how they did it if you want a more top down or isometric perspective either you can adjust the positioning of the camera and it's rotation or there might be parameters either public and thus adjustable or hard coded as a constant in the code.

Shaders are also mostly straightforward as well.

Personally I think the only obtuse things are using the rendering pipeline and ultra specific things like figuring out what sort of orthographic value I want to fill the screen right. Some stuff manually rendering stuff to a texture is very "well it works but I dunno why" for me.

There's also some odd stuff where following sebastian lague A* tutorial I don't get remotely the same performance, I'm not sure why but it was a while ago.

Like comparatively I found Unreal to be more hidden. Trying to debug the UI was painful until I learned about the widget reflector! In Unity the UI is actually a part of the scene.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I am in no way a professional game developer, just a mere hobbyist, but this whole Unity stuff made really try to get into Godot and it has been such a pleasant experience.

Things often just WORK, everything is very simple, and even though C# support has only recently been implemented, it feels better than Unity's integration in many ways, I can easily add Nuget packages directly from my IDE's UI and the engine doesn't complain!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1703855244851961991

(This was a Dogpit group effort)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't worry Unity announced yesterday they're reviewing community feedback and will announce changes in a few days. Surely this will restore all trust and optimism.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Saw an article that said they were thinking of capping the fee at 4% of revenue over $1 million, but they still hadn't answered the question of what happens to you between $200k and $1m, so of course it's still hosed. And why wouldn't you just do the 4% rev and drop the install fee thing like what the gently caress are you doing.

edit: source

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 18, 2023

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ZombieApostate posted:

Saw an article that said they were thinking of capping the fee at 4% of revenue over $1 million, but they still hadn't answered the question of what happens to you between $200k and $1m, so of course it's still hosed. And why wouldn't you just do the 4% rev and drop the install fee thing like what the gently caress are you doing.
That was one of my favorite things about it, the whole regressive aspect. "If you're making lots of money we'll take less of it than if you're struggling!"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ZombieApostate posted:

edit: source

The current rumor is no runtime fee until $1 million revenue, and then no more than 4% revenue and the # of installs is self reported.

But it's just a rumor.

The problem in my mind is they need to do a weird thread the needle in that 2-4 million range where 4% of revenue + 2k/seat of pro can easily be more than 5% of gross revenue that Epic is asking for.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Self-reporting isn't going to help if the sales platforms don't track the stats that they intend to charge for.

roomforthetuna posted:

That was one of my favorite things about it, the whole regressive aspect. "If you're making lots of money we'll take less of it than if you're struggling!"
I like the Pro and Enterprise tiers even more, you don't pay anything until you sell 1m copies and then you start paying for every install, but then if you sell loads of copies then you start paying less and less per install.

So is it structured in favor of less-successful games or more-successful games? Neither, or both, it depends where you are on the spectrum of success!

Also the install fee taper is per-month but the threshold is lifetime, so slow-selling long-tail games get hit way harder than something that has a huge launch.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

OneEightHundred posted:

Self-reporting isn't going to help if the sales platforms don't track the stats that they intend to charge for.

I like the Pro and Enterprise tiers even more, you don't pay anything until you sell 1m copies and then you start paying for every install, but then if you sell loads of copies then you start paying less and less per install.

So is it structured in favor of less-successful games or more-successful games? Neither, or both, it depends where you are on the spectrum of success!

Also the install fee taper is per-month but the threshold is lifetime, so slow-selling long-tail games get hit way harder than something that has a huge launch.

It is/was structured to eat into f2p mobile games. I don't think any other type of game was considered in any way.

DrZepam
Mar 15, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Very strange feels here.

Flecs is a solid and battle-tested ECS library you could use for Unreal. There are even resources on how to setup a minimal viable Unreal template to work with Flecs: https://github.com/SanderMertens/flecs

It is also helpful to start from scratch instead of using their Gameplay Framework to learn how the engine work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

leper khan posted:

Last time I looked it up, it had so many stars next to its support that you'd think it was being slaughtered by ninjas. That could be saying more about me and how often I was checking into it than the support itself.

DrZepam posted:

Flecs is a solid and battle-tested ECS library you could use for Unreal. There are even resources on how to setup a minimal viable Unreal template to work with Flecs: https://github.com/SanderMertens/flecs

It is also helpful to start from scratch instead of using their Gameplay Framework to learn how the engine work.

Huh. The fact that you're sending me a third-party one tells me it isn't really built in to the Unreal model itself, which tells me something about my assumptions; I thought ECS was a major thing with Unreal.

I was bullshitting it in Unity anyways so I can't really gatekeep on how well anybody supports it. I do get the general gist of it and I'm more interested in it if it'll help me serialize my game state by isolating all the stuff I might want to save into the components. I'm guessing that is a normal a sane thing to do for managing saving at any point in gameplay.

Alterian posted:

Open the player blueprint and look how its set up to do the camera stuff. Look at the camera settings because you can turn off things like pawn control rotation. Is it attached to a spring arm? See how thats attached. I don't have it open in front of me and its been a while.

I've been doing day job and life so I haven't scoured this well enough, but I decided I got far enough to see all this and I am not in a position to know where to actually proceed. I'm half stuck here and also you're half my rubber ducky while I post out loud. So if I understand anything at all, I:
1. Open the Content Browser
2. Navigate to my project tab in the browser. It's in the left column for me
3. Open the ThirdPerson folder
4. Right-click on the BP_ThirdPersonCharacter in there
5. Select Edit from the context menu. This should really screw with my editor UI but may not show Blueprint stuff yet
6. Select the Event Graph. There we are.

At this point, I do see a CameraBoom as a child of the Capsule Component with a FollowCamera under the boom.

So if my objective is to have a camera that is over the player and a little off on one axis, with now mouse pan/rotate:
1. I should delete the camera inputs. That should stop the pan/rotate. Alternately, I disable "Use Pawn Control Rotation" in CameraBoom to disable it. However, I found when I do that, the current camera is obsessed at being behind the character and just rotates around the world to stay there as the character changes direction. I haven't screwed with the Blueprint yet because I'm some strange baby afraid of it after spending the day modifying a Linux kernel. I don't know what's wrong with me.
2. Do something to fix the camera position to be Self + some height offset and little X/Y offset. I don't know how to specify the camera target and I think it just assumes the parent in the hierarchy. I then don't know how to specify that offset in a Blueprint. I found the messing with the socket offset and target offset in the boom would move the camera relative to the player.

A fundamental problem I see is the Blueprint is showing how to react to events, where I am trying to establish a permanent setting. In Unity, I just had the my camera polling to look at the player in the desired way each update, but I suspect that's not the "Unreal Way" here. There's probably something I can slap down in the events (or construction?) or the editor that affixes this position.

Also, is there some method to have the content like this third person character internals visible while having the game preview available? I have to close the BP_ThirdPersonCharacter each time I want to see the real result of whatever I did, and then go back to editing it in the browser afterwards. This must be a typical thing people do--especially with screwing around with Blueprint stuff.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh. The fact that you're sending me a third-party one tells me it isn't really built in to the Unreal model itself, which tells me something about my assumptions; I thought ECS was a major thing with Unreal.

Unreal uses an internal ECS implementation for several of its features - the main one is Niagara, for particle systems, or the crowd simulation thing I can't remember the name of. You could hijack those and use them more generically, but as for an out of the box solution, there isn't one. Unreal has a thoroughly established Gameplay Framework which, while it solves a lot of issues behind the scenes, can take some time to understand before you can really gently caress with it (kind of like how with design principles, you have to know the rules before you can effectively break them).

- FLECS is probably fine, though I've never used it.
- Apparatus is another option on the Epic Marketplace, but it's expensive (not free). The developers are very responsive to questions in their Discord. It's also very native to the Unreal system, so the translation layer is done for you, much like Unity ECS.
- I think there are a couple other ECS solutions floating around, but they may be more or less native, more or less documented, more or less easy to understand.

You can also always just use any C++ lib you want :shrug:

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!

jizzy sillage posted:

Unreal uses an internal ECS implementation for several of its features - the main one is Niagara, for particle systems, or the crowd simulation thing I can't remember the name of. You could hijack those and use them more generically, but as for an out of the box solution, there isn't one. Unreal has a thoroughly established Gameplay Framework which, while it solves a lot of issues behind the scenes, can take some time to understand before you can really gently caress with it (kind of like how with design principles, you have to know the rules before you can effectively break them).

- FLECS is probably fine, though I've never used it.
- Apparatus is another option on the Epic Marketplace, but it's expensive (not free). The developers are very responsive to questions in their Discord. It's also very native to the Unreal system, so the translation layer is done for you, much like Unity ECS.
- I think there are a couple other ECS solutions floating around, but they may be more or less native, more or less documented, more or less easy to understand.

You can also always just use any C++ lib you want :shrug:

UE Sequencer uses an ECS style setup internally for speed but it's very much an internal thing nobody is supposed to use afaik.

Unreal has an integrated user-facing archetype style ECS called Mass which is barebones on the gameplay feature side but has built in threading and crowd avoidance.
I have helped make a public sample showing how to use it along with some evil experimental physics+rendering integrations and usability thingies here: https://github.com/Megafunk/MassSample

Always remember: An ECS just just a fancy for loop with queries... you don't need one to make stuff fast.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I figured out in Unreal I get the top-down I want just by tweaking settings on the boom camera:

1. Disable everything under Camera Settings: Use Pawn Control Rotation, and Inherit Pitch/Yaw/Roll.
2. Set Z position to 500.0
3. Set Y rotation to -75 degrees

I'm not sure if I really have it properly centered or anything and I wouldn't want to tweak the numbers just to get the effect. What I'd really like to do is move the camera over the player by HEIGHT units, move it south SOUTH units, and then have it look at the player. Is this a normal thing to do with a dedicated Blueprint? I'm just asking now before I go bushwhacking into that.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

You don't have to use a SpringArm for your camera if you don't want to, but yeah in the blueprint for the character where the SpringArm as attached, you could on BeginPlay reposition things to how you like:

Set Height
Set Distance
Make Rotator using Height and Distance
Apply Rotation to SpringArm
Optionally apply a Translation to the SpringArm to change exactly where it's looking at

You can also do this in the Constructor since it requires no references to external actors.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://blog.unity.com/news/open-letter-on-runtime-fee

https://unity.com/pricing-updates

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

"We're doing the thing that was already in the TOS which we tried to scrub from the public eye."

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I think I saw someone predicting this; "we proposed an outrageously stupid plan, and now, due to CUSTOMER FEEDBACK, we're rolling it back to a merely exploitative plan and we hope that the previous stupid plan will distract you from the fact that we're still screwing you compared to what you were originally promised."

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Might be a dumb question but is there any way to get autocomplete in the Godot script editor for C#? Whenever I'm writing code for work or other projects I'm so used to some kind of autocomplete/intelligence type feature, but in the Godot editor seems like all I get is syntax highlighting and even that is very hit or miss.

I usually end up just making all the script edits in visual studio because of this, but it would be nice to do it in the same place and not have to have two separate applications to work on the same thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

I think I saw someone predicting this; "we proposed an outrageously stupid plan, and now, due to CUSTOMER FEEDBACK, we're rolling it back to a merely exploitative plan and we hope that the previous stupid plan will distract you from the fact that we're still screwing you compared to what you were originally promised."

I was expecting this, but while it's worse than before for the games that made it big, it's actually the same or better for smaller games now, since they upped the revenue limit and got rid of the splash screen requirement for the free versions of unity. If they had announced this originally along with a statement like "we need to pay our employees and the subscription-only model just wasn't working," I think there would have been grumbles but it wouldn't have been the end of the world.

Just LOL at how bad they hosed up though.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

Just LOL at how bad they hosed up though.
Yeah, I think the "worse and rollback" announcement has probably backfired spectacularly. And really there is no way to make it okay - you have a deal with your users, you want to make more money; no matter how you arrange the change, whoever you're trying to make that extra money off isn't going to be happy with it because by definition you are making their deal worse. And you'll most likely drive them away, which means you won't actually make more money, so everybody loses.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How are large multimillion dollar companies that presumably pay their top ranked officers giant piles of cash constantly do this and be so bad at a basic aspect of their job and still have it?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Raenir Salazar posted:

How are large multimillion dollar companies that presumably pay their top ranked officers giant piles of cash constantly do this and be so bad at a basic aspect of their job and still have it?

capitalism isn't a meritocracy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

well gently caress off to ars for giving this company a puff piece

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/09/unity-exec-tells-ars-hes-on-a-mission-to-earn-back-developer-trust/

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

roomforthetuna posted:

It's such a catastrophic hit to the trust in Unity that it cannot possibly be worth it though. Like so many studios are now painfully aware that Riccitiello has the power to destroy their business model at any time.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's such a catastrophic hit to the trust in Unity that it cannot possibly be worth it though. Like so many studios are now painfully aware that Riccitiello has the power to destroy their business model at any time.

Given the role of the CEO I did kind of wonder if the board was going to boot him. Think that would have gone a long way to fixing things. (I mean yes he does have a board seat but still)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The retroactive aspect was a massive poison pill. Almost anything else could be forgiven. If they were like our next version's license will make you pay a 30% revenue share people would definitely be upset but at least you can just say no to a new license. If you agree to a 30% split that's on you, and you might not like it, but there's a certain inherent fairness to a transparent new contract.

But adding a new fee to old licenses? You can't do that because now I can never trust your contracts. The whole point of a contract is that it describes the entire relationship and I can know what I'm entering into when I decide to take it or leave it. The certainty is the point. How can I sign a contract with an entity I know is willing to just unilaterally change the terms in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Phigs posted:

The retroactive aspect was a massive poison pill. Almost anything else could be forgiven. If they were like our next version's license will make you pay a 30% revenue share people would definitely be upset but at least you can just say no to a new license. If you agree to a 30% split that's on you, and you might not like it, but there's a certain inherent fairness to a transparent new contract.

But adding a new fee to old licenses? You can't do that because now I can never trust your contracts. The whole point of a contract is that it describes the entire relationship and I can know what I'm entering into when I decide to take it or leave it. The certainty is the point. How can I sign a contract with an entity I know is willing to just unilaterally change the terms in the future?
It's tricky because the modern license is for a period of time, rather than for a version, so it's a lot like "your lease is up and I'm increasing the rent next year" (though doing it *immediately* rather than "after the next renewal period" is surely not legally binding, unless the original contract explicitly said that was a thing they could do).

Time-based licenses for a thing that is not inherently a service are, of course, a huge piece of poo poo.