Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What would everyone's choices for these hex codes be for colors as close to, but with contrast paint?

Blue:
5BCEFA

Pink:
F5A9B8

So far I'm thinking Citadel Frostheart for Blue, and Vallejo Xpress Cardinal Purple but was wanting some more input, since it doesn't quite match exactly. Maybe Speedpaint Princess Pink?

The hard requirement here is contrast-style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Citadel Frostheart for sure. Maybe Citadel Magos Purple but it's not perfect.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've yet to find a good, actually pink, contrast.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Geisladisk posted:

Do you not feel like painting the model anymore, and does it look pretty good?

Congratulations, your model is done. Put it away and paint something else. You can always come back to it if you ever feel like painting it more.

I get the former a lot, but I'm not sure any of my battletech duders meet the criteria for the latter :v:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What would everyone's choices for these hex codes be for colors as close to, but with contrast paint?

Blue:
5BCEFA

Pink:
F5A9B8

So far I'm thinking Citadel Frostheart for Blue, and Vallejo Xpress Cardinal Purple but was wanting some more input, since it doesn't quite match exactly. Maybe Speedpaint Princess Pink?

Get some watercolours that match and some acrylic medium. A decent cerulean should answer, with a touch of ink if you want the full vibrancy. For the pink, try a permanent rose or rose madder. The overall result, with a touch of flow improver, will behave reasonably like a contrast paint and give you far more precise colour control.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

You can also buy contrast medium if you want to use the citadel product for creating your own.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Loomer posted:

Get some watercolours that match and some acrylic medium. A decent cerulean should answer, with a touch of ink if you want the full vibrancy. For the pink, try a permanent rose or rose madder. The overall result, with a touch of flow improver, will behave reasonably like a contrast paint and give you far more precise colour control.

I was hoping for an out of the box solution since I want to do an entire army this way lol

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Here is a guide with every speedpaint on the market (and some you can't get any more).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've yet to find a good, actually pink, contrast.

I mean, speedpaint 2.0 princess pink looks real nice.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NinjaDebugger posted:

I immediately went to miniaturemarket and checked if they had this in stock. Thanks for the recommendation.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yeah I just ordered one from a different store they had like one left, I mean honestly I've been spending a lot of my recent paint jobs with contrast paints and for all intents and purposes they're fine I'm not obviously getting the practice down on the blending and glazing part that gets me back up to the midtones but for right now I'm getting my minis done that's all I really care about right now.

I'm super excited for these paints to come in cuz while I have the right paints now to do it more traditionally I do want to kind of do the entire army in those colors so it's going to behoove me to figure out a simple method to do this

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah I just ordered one from a different store they had like one left, I mean honestly I've been spending a lot of my recent paint jobs with contrast paints and for all intents and purposes they're fine I'm not obviously getting the practice down on the blending and glazing part that gets me back up to the midtones but for right now I'm getting my minis done that's all I really care about right now.

I'm super excited for these paints to come in cuz while I have the right paints now to do it more traditionally I do want to kind of do the entire army in those colors so it's going to behoove me to figure out a simple method to do this

No shade from me. I use speed paints occasionally even when I'm otherwise painting entirely with artist acrylics, they just make a fantastic and extremely predictable wash, and take highlights super well. I do most of my Tortle shells with them, and they do an excellent job of bargain bin NMM if you know how to use 'em right.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Having a lot of fun painting Lion El'Johnson just now, used Nazdreg Yellow for the first time and wow is it nice, like NMM in a pot. Is they a grey/silver counterpart with that level of contrast? I'm avoiding metallic paint in my Marine army.

Have to take issue with the name though. By naming it after Nazdreg I would imagine it to be bright solid yellow, as in the yellow painted on Nazdreg's and Bad Moon armor, name this one after a Custode dude or something.

Whilst we're at it, it seems pretty crazy to not only have Striking Scorpion Green and Karandras (A Striking Scorpion) Green in the range, but to have them be adjacent contrast colors.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NinjaDebugger posted:

No shade from me.

But aren't speed paints all shade? :v:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I did a thing. I don't know how useful it is.

(Phantom Grey looking brighter than the colors around it is a function of it being much more glossy than the surrounding paints, and is misleading.)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Redid my test cultist from the other week with the newer harness colour and new head

huh, whats the inspo for the colour scheme?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

!amicable posted:

huh, whats the inspo for the colour scheme?

I love videogame cultists, like from Blood and the Las Plaga from RE4. But Satanic cultists especially so that's were the black, red and purple come from. I've decided to like work backwards from that and say the red is for workers and the purple is for genestealers.

The blue/grey harness I had a weird shade of brown/peach, trying to make it look kind of plastic, but I tried again with this colour and liked it way more. It ended up working out for the wolf quad I did too

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006
Finished my ice trolls and ogre, thanks for the advice on their skin, it came out nice I think!

Next project is a cabal of coloured mage I think

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think this is done but I couldn't really figure out how to do NMM properly, oh well

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I’ve painted up the first test a miniature for my BattleTech mercenary company - the mechs I have painted so far has been very bright colours and so I wanted something natural or camouflage. I saw this camo scheme from World War II and I thought it was too good to pass up:

When I did a bit of research, I found there was lots of individual variation, which should mean that painting the rest of the mechs stays interesting - just yellow, yellow and green, tiger stripes, etc.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 15, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Finished up another Cultist tonight

Arms, gun and head from Anvil Industries again.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Do airbrushes require ventilation? I'm trying to find a way to prime models during Winter in the northeast.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

a pale ghost posted:

Do airbrushes require ventilation? I'm trying to find a way to prime models during Winter in the northeast.

yeah. you should be able to find a hood/shroud setup that works, though.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

a pale ghost posted:

Find yourself an Airbrush Booth, it's just a box with a fan pulling air into a filter. So any fumes in the box go through the filter instead of spraying back out over you.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I love videogame cultists, like from Blood and the Las Plaga from RE4. But Satanic cultists especially so that's were the black, red and purple come from. I've decided to like work backwards from that and say the red is for workers and the purple is for genestealers.

The blue/grey harness I had a weird shade of brown/peach, trying to make it look kind of plastic, but I tried again with this colour and liked it way more. It ended up working out for the wolf quad I did too

huh, obviously colour schemes are all over the place, but I also came up with a similar combo. But I based mine off an obscure armour set in Anarchy Online. And then later realized it was also Magneto colours.

Stealing superhero or sports team colour schemes is always a good move.

Ill post some finished pics, cause its been WAYYYYY too long since Ive been around these parts.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I painted a bunch of tiny men

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

a pale ghost posted:

Airbrush booth, 3M ventilator mask, and if you're doing it in the winter and don't want to open two windows and set up fans for a breeze you'll want something like a HEPA filter to scrub the room's air clean afterwards. (Also keep in mind a HEPA filter takes time to clean the air, so you'll want to keep wearing the mask for a bit even after you've stopped airbrushing.) Airbrushes are great and arranging ventilation is doable even if you can't do it in a room with an extractor fan, but you will not enjoy the long-term effects of skimping on this.

Fortunately, or, rather unfortunately generally but fortunately for this specific circumstance, we live in a time when plentiful instructions exist for how to build cheap effective HEPA filters if you don't want to buy an expensive branded one.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 16, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Anvil Industries
https://anvilindustry.co.uk/plague-doctor-masks-7

I also got a bunch of their hooded and masked cultist heads. They're pretty good.

I actually ended up ripping this lad's arms off and regluing them. I'm having the worst time getting the arms to align on a lot of my models atm..

Yeah.. it was the wrong arm... I have to stop building these guys when I'm really tired after work

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Airbrush booth, 3M ventilator mask, and if you're doing it in the winter and don't want to open two windows and set up fans for a breeze you'll want something like a HEPA filter to scrub the room's air clean afterwards. (Also keep in mind a HEPA filter takes time to clean the air, so you'll want to keep wearing the mask for a bit even after you've stopped airbrushing.) Airbrushes are great and arranging ventilation is doable even if you can't do it in a room with an extractor fan, but you will not enjoy the long-term effects of skimping on this.

Fortunately, or, rather unfortunately generally but fortunately for this specific circumstance, we live in a time when plentiful instructions exist for how to build cheap effective HEPA filters if you don't want to buy an expensive branded one.

Is this really required if one only ever sprays acrylics?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
No.

You should ideally wear a mask, and crack a window if you have one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lumpy posted:

depends on how you feel about emphysema

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lumpy posted:

You don't want to breathe paint, regardless of the type.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lumpy posted:

The HEPA filter is a bit extra, the booth is recommended, but the mask is absolutely mandatory.

You can get away with just the mask, but I'd open the window and leave the room (or keep the mask on) for fifteen minutes or so while the particulates settle and/or get blown out after spraying. Just be aware all that acrylic is going to come down as dust and your room will get dusty as hell without the booth.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 17, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Is a KN95 adequate for airbrushing acrylics? I have a full on respirator but it gets really uncomfortable, especially in comparison to my 95s.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

rantmo posted:

Is a KN95 adequate for airbrushing acrylics?

Yes.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

It should go without saying but don't loving airbrush heavy metals like cadmium without a full protective setup.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Count Thrashula posted:

You don't want to breathe paint, regardless of the type.

Right, but if you have a booth pulling it into a filter, and you are wearing an N95 mask, you aren't breathing acrylics right? Not trying to be argumentative, just seeing if what I do is actually adequate for what I do, which is all ASTM conforming acrylics.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Finished a Leto II as a gift for a friend.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lumpy posted:

Right, but if you have a booth pulling it into a filter, and you are wearing an N95 mask, you aren't breathing acrylics right? Not trying to be argumentative, just seeing if what I do is actually adequate for what I do, which is all ASTM conforming acrylics.

The spray booth isn't pulling in all the particulates, just most of them.

I had a discussion about this with a friend who is a professionally trained artist, and she had this to say: "Non-toxic" means "Has not been determined to be toxic via testing." Most art supply ingredients have not been tested for that, and there's little incentive to do so. By default, assume all art supplies are trying to kill you. She won't even be in a room with an open bottle of plastic cement without good air flow and a respirator.

As mini painters we work with very small quantities of these things. It will probably be fine. (I don't wear a respirator when working with plastic cement, although I do always do it with good airflow.) But I hosed up my lungs for about a year spraying Vallejo Metal Colors for a few weeks in a room with a spray booth and a respirator but no HEPA filter. Eventually I got better but I'm not doing that again. So, as I said, you will not enjoy the long-term consequences of treating this lightly.

Once you have the setup it's fine. I love my airbrushes. A HEPA filter doesn't take up that much space, and you don't need it if you're doing it next to an open window and there's a good breeze. (But, again, if you're getting an airbrush so you can prime in winter, you probably don't want an open window.) Do not skip the mask and probably don't skip the spray booth either. You don't need to go overboard but it's also important to treat the activity seriously.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

It should go without saying but don't loving airbrush heavy metals like cadmium without a full protective setup.

or ever. this is not calling out NDB, i just do not want anyone to innovate new goony ways of causing yourself brain damage. cadmium or cobalt or any other traditional toxic pigment does not go in the airbrush. azo dyes are fine, you do not care about your colors fading in 2063. this is never a thing you need to worry about with craft paints or hobby paints that are not 20 years old though