Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

maybealabia posted:

The clitoris

Highly recommended

:j:

That and some kickin rad goku pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

A dead bluetooth headset.

Sick of people bothering you? Pretend you're on a call.

Want to talk to yourself for a while and not look like a crazy person? Pretend you're on a call.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

credburn posted:

A dead bluetooth headset.

Sick of people bothering you? Pretend you're on a call.

Want to talk to yourself for a while and not look like a crazy person? Pretend you're on a call.

:hmmyes:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

YEAH YOU'RE ON WITH WILLIE!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

I haven't experienced any others tbh but there is a cheaper Logitech, the Lift, which is also vertical and about 65 notes. Otherwise I'd just pick up whichever Chinese vertical is best rated on Amazon, then if you like it go all the way to the MX.

I went for the MX straight away and don't regret it.

I got a random cheap Amazon one before the good Logitech one, and imho you should just go straight to the Logitech - the cheap one looked very similar but sucked to use.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Good wireless headphones. I started using wireless headphones back in the early 2000s when bluetooth wasn't widespread yet, and I had some pair of headphones that sounded pretty good and connected via a little USB port with an antenna - definitely not bluetooth standard but close enough. I switched over to bluetooth shortly after that. I buy relatively cheap over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that give good quality sound when I'm doing anything active, and I have a pair of HyperX Cloud over-the-head headphones that have a detachable mic and can also be plugged in with a cord, giving me all of the flexibility on the quality/convenience scale

I've driven a couple of vehicles that are completely "keyless", I don't want to ever take my car key (electronic or otherwise) out of my pocket again

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

QuarkJets posted:

Good wireless headphones. I started using wireless headphones back in the early 2000s when bluetooth wasn't widespread yet, and I had some pair of headphones that sounded pretty good and connected via a little USB port with an antenna - definitely not bluetooth standard but close enough. I switched over to bluetooth shortly after that. I buy relatively cheap over-the-ear bluetooth headphones that give good quality sound when I'm doing anything active, and I have a pair of HyperX Cloud over-the-head headphones that have a detachable mic and can also be plugged in with a cord, giving me all of the flexibility on the quality/convenience scale

I've driven a couple of vehicles that are completely "keyless", I don't want to ever take my car key (electronic or otherwise) out of my pocket again

Taotronics does a Bluetooth to 3.5mm adaptor that just works

I have my nice 100 dollar IEMS, and have 2 one these adaptors and I get incredibly good quality sound for a cheap rear end price of 150 initial investment, and replace the adaptor every few years and keep the IEMS

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A silicone popcorn popper. It's just a silicone bowl with a silicone lid

1. Add some kernels. Nothing else is required
2. Put lid on
3. Microwave

I think I have a Lekue, it was like $20. Perfect popcorn every time, massive upgrade over air popping, microwave bags, or making it on the stove. You can add stuff prior to popping if you want to get fancy but I just nebulize some olive oil and salt on after it's in the bowl. Probably also won't give you horrible cancer like the poo poo in the microwave bags probably does

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 17, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I bought these small bamboo spoons because all the wooden spoons I owned were large.

Game changers.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

QuarkJets posted:

Oh, yes, bluetooth earbuds are a great investment, the thing that reviews always miss and people asking always miss is choose the right tool for the right job.

This is my current collection:

Plus a pair of AirPods that live on my office desk.

I use all of these constantly for completely different use cases, some of them are paired on the same devices, some of them aren't.

My biggest life enhancing object tip is use the right tool for the right job, you can have more than one thing.

This may be crossing over into robot territory (Seriously, our Roomba Vacuum/Mop was worth every penny), but this dishwasher was life one of the greatest purchases we have ever made. Two drawers, entertianing, making a big meal, you can run both of them at the same time but start them separately, so you can put all your pans in one as you are cooking, once you finish cooking, start that dishwasher, it's done by the time you are finished loading the other drawer full of glasses and plates.

edit: FORGOT! $20 Bluetooth label printer from Amazon, pictured next to the phone. The labels cost basically nothing, like a cent each and you print directly from your phone. We label everything, anything thing perishable that goes in the fridge or freezer gets a label, fruit, vegetables, leftovers, label. We have a Dymo LabelWriter that we use for big stuff, but it needs a Windows/Mac app and to be physically connected to the computer and all the labels are actual envelop label sized, great for labeling like, storage containers or envelopes, not for labeling leftover cooking.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 17, 2023

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

I like having the ability to control the engine and steering lock through traditional means. Don't want that push button stuff.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Several statues of Goku

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Conductive headphones are extremely win.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Wool socks. Cotton kills.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Safety razors are good too

A one off purchase of 15 dollars for a handle, and Once a year I spend like 12 bucks on a handful of cartridges and have my shaving sorted for the year

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No. 6 posted:

I like having the ability to control the engine and steering lock through traditional means. Don't want that push button stuff.

Push buttons in EVs are dumb since there's nothing to ignite. I like cars that turn on when you sit down and turn off when you get out

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I used to have a wireless mouse that needed a charging cable, switched to batteries and never looked back. This is the main thing that turned me off from the MX Vertical, I prefer swapping out the batteries

Life enhancing object: good rechargeable batteries and a good intelligent charger, not a dumb one. We bought some Eneloop batteries, they last a very long time

And you can also buy the same batteries but with a good charger

The version with the charger cost $25. The charger supports AA and AAA, we bought some AAA Eneloops later. Supremely good purchase

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Jestery posted:

Safety razors are good too

A one-off purchase of 15 dollars for a handle, and Once a year I spend like 12 bucks on a handful of cartridges and have my shaving sorted for the year

Seconding this.

I had a funny interaction a couple of years ago at a shaver shop before Colesworth started stocking double-edged razors.

The gal at the counter wanted to know what sharpness of razor I was after.

"The razor sharp ones I suppose" was my answer.

I still take a Gilette disposable for travel purposes if I'm away for a few days, though.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I bought an eneloop set at Costco that came with a little case, a charger, 4 aa, 4aaa, and c&d sized inserts for the aa's. I bought it 5 years and a move ago, and still have some of the batteries floating around.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Three Olives posted:

Put all your lights on dimmers, it's so nice at night to just dim all the lights in the house. Even places you wouldn't think like the bathroom, when you are having a party having the bathroom light on the dimmer makes it really inviting for guests.

This probably falls under robot, but really putting everything in a home automation system, we have a Google Assistant display in every room in the house and every light in the house is dimmable and connected to the system, so if you want to adjust the thermostat from bed, or turn all the lights out you can just do it from the bedside screen. Also works for whole house audio for the same system so you can just cast from your phone or one of the screens any song or playlist from Spotify across the entire house.

Oh, also, keypad door lock, my car uses my phone as a key so I literally no longer carry any keys with me.

Similar to this, but I have about a dozen LIFX A19 bulbs in my space and I can control it all from my loving Apple Watch if I want to. It's a bit more user friendly from my phone though. I have a jailbroken iPhone 8 with Automator set up to turn all of my lights on when I double tap the home button, or turn them all off when I double tap and hold the home button, and the lights are set to gradually turn on over ten minutes before my alarm goes off every morning. Does wonders for helping me wake up. Also when my neice and nephew come over the first thing they want to do is have me go to the screen that lets them tap the colour that all of the lights change to, it blows their loving minds.

Basically what I'm saying is LED IoT lights are tight as hell.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Can we stop making threads that are just a wholesale invite for 3O to talk about his consumer electronics.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Poohs Packin posted:

Can we stop making threads that are just a wholesale invite for 3O to talk about his consumer electronics.

we would have to stop making threads entirely, so no

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Knee hock socks

Great great protection for your leg hairs

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dick Fontaine posted:

we would have to stop making threads entirely, so no

lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:( rip crazy prince

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRHmnpRNXTM

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Can you guys post links or at least brands you've had good luck with? for real items you like it's frustrating for someone to say they like x then searching for it is 500 things Google sucks now basically help us all out

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Mozi posted:

if you're sick and tired of the cheap adhesive detaching from bags that have the built-in ziploc type thing on the top that's super crappy and always fails when you're about 1/3 of the way through whatever is in the bag, get a bunch of these in different sizes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y68C8G6

it's just a tube with a rod through it so you crease the top of the bag over and slip it through. airtight, no moving plastic clips or anything so should last forever

i got a couple of people these as a gift, and they rave over them

i mean "Rave" is strong, they really like them, though

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 17, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I found bone conducting headphones to be life changing.

I have a pair of aftershokz water proof. Syncs to my android phone really simply and your sweat ain't hurt them at all. My model is a few years old and the mic on it sucks compared the the previous version I had, but it has better sound and I can wear them at the gym without bothering anyone or ruining headphones. Just rinse then in water or wipe them down.

This is for people that hate having things in their ears. I don't understand how iPods, if what's they're called, got so successful maybe my ear canal is weird but that would never fit snuggly in there and would irritate my ear and fall out.

They seem to have rebranded to shokz and I've never tried anything since then but that gives you something to search for if you don't want things in your ear but still want to listen to music without everyone hearing it or bring heavy and hot like a can headphone

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 17, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mozi posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y68C8G6

it's just a tube with a rod through it so you crease the top of the bag over and slip it through. airtight, no moving plastic clips or anything so should last forever

This is going to save me money on the bags of prescription cat food I have to use for my old man where the zip breaks when the bag is handled
Half empty. It degrades pretty quickly when exposed to air so thanks for the link!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
if you use rectangular bins, put your garbage bags in with the handles on the sides instead of front and back

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My bins are kind of ovular.. what's the benefit of the handles on the side except the decreased ability for the bag to expand since their on the long edge ?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the bag still expands just fine, but it comes right out when it's mashed full

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

QuarkJets posted:

Push buttons in EVs are dumb since there's nothing to ignite. I like cars that turn on when you sit down and turn off when you get out

What if I want to sit in my car by myself eating donuts without running the battery down? Hypothetically.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Wendigee posted:

I use them for sleeping, they are great for that, just go in knowing that the audio quality is poo poo. Which can be fine, see my headphone collection.

XYZAB posted:

Similar to this, but I have about a dozen LIFX A19 bulbs in my space and I can control it all from my loving Apple Watch if I want to. It's a bit more user friendly from my phone though. I have a jailbroken iPhone 8 with Automator set up to turn all of my lights on when I double tap the home button, or turn them all off when I double tap and hold the home button, and the lights are set to gradually turn on over ten minutes before my alarm goes off every morning. Does wonders for helping me wake up. Also when my neice and nephew come over the first thing they want to do is have me go to the screen that lets them tap the colour that all of the lights change to, it blows their loving minds.

Basically what I'm saying is LED IoT lights are tight as hell.

No. This is why every non-rich person hates "home automation". Almost all of our lights are on Lutron Caseta dimmers, we have a couple on Lutron Hue physical dimmers, always make them work normally, automation is secondary. Anything in our home can be worked normally, also, you can remotely unlock the door and dim the house with your phone.

Poohs Packin posted:

Because I have good advice?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 17, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wendigee posted:

idk how I feel about putting headphones on my dick but I'm glad that you enjoy it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Three Olives posted:

Because I have good advice?

No because the thread is for things people don't know about and every poster is acutely aware of the contents of your refrigerator, along with every other aspect of your SkyMall rear end lifestyle.

Also,

Three Olives posted:

This is why every non-rich person hates "home automation".

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

idk how I feel about putting headphones on my dick but I'm glad that you enjoy it

:thunk:

trying this tomorrow.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Three Olives posted:

No. This is why every non-rich person hates "home automation". Almost all of our lights are on Lutron Caseta dimmers, we have a couple on Lutron Hue physical dimmers, always make them work normally, automation is secondary. Anything in our home can be worked normally, also, you can remotely unlock the door and dim the house with your phone.

I can’t believe I accidentally quoted a three olives post about the 1960s’ most exciting advancement in room lighting technology. :suicide:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Getting a couple left night lights for rooms you Interac with at night time

My bathroom is just never dark, and when I need to get a drink of water I'm not blasting my eyes with the main lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If only there were some way to make my pee glow.