Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The latest natto channels been wholly brought down on YouTube.

I've been downloading all the videos and putting old bashos up on my own channel in unlisted playlists - and with exactly one exception in a day of Juryo from July that is blocked entirely, there have only been content IDs blocking ads on some videos, and not even the majority. Not that I am anywhere near a big enough channel to get any income on a video to begin with.

Nattos discord posts links to all the locations the videos are hosted in browser, as well as direct download links. Unfortunately, of all the locations they use, including for direct downloads, the most trustworthy is Billibilli. Been thinking about uploading everything to archive.org, but I don't want to undercut natto to anyone beyond the people I know personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean, I have to assume the NHK just got wise and clandestinely joined the discord where he posts the videos…

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
drat, never felt so fortunate to get NHK on Virgin Media here in the UK. this absolute scouring of YouTube providers is terrible, without them I don't think I'd have been anywhere near as interested in the sport.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The start of a lot of all of this was the UK licensor going after everyone just to protect their little feifdom of profits.

Day 6 as a whole was fantastic to watch. Been a good high effort basho so far.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 15, 2023

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

With the amazing feats of witchcraft on display today, and amidst the steady decline of the giant slayer, I would like to put in for a trade: May I replace Tamawashi with Ura? If Ura is not available, I am feeling a possible Meisei resurgence.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Boogalo posted:

The start of a lot of all of this was the UK licensor going after everyone just to protect their little feifdom of profits.

Really? That's so bizarre, it's a free channel, now I can go back to thinking gently caress Virgin though.

Day 6: Man that Atamifuji-Mitakeumi bout was great! good to see another large young boy come good in makuuchi.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Reminder that Kintamayama is still around under the pseudonym of Mord Dresner on YouTube if you are struggling to find coverage.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Sitting out this basho due to an upcoming surgery next week but saw this p cool article and thought I'd share!

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/09/15/craig-jones-visits-sumo-stable/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Sitting out this basho due to an upcoming surgery next week but saw this p cool article and thought I'd share!

https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/09/15/craig-jones-visits-sumo-stable/

Holy poo poo high level bjj dudes going to a heya is amazing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Kinda weird seeing them go to Miyagino but somehow miss seeing Hakuho, Ishiura, Enho, Hokuseiho or really anyone who we'd recognize, still neat though.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

Kinda weird seeing them go to Miyagino but somehow miss seeing Hakuho, Ishiura, Enho, Hokuseiho or really anyone who we'd recognize, still neat though.

Right? I'd love to see an enho / Craig go at it under judo / sumo rules.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
So I'm catching up on the basho now, couple things to say so far.

It looks like Jason's channel got a copyright strike even though he was using Abema footage, cuz he's missing one of the day 1 videos he uploaded, so that sucks. gently caress NHK.

I'm wondering, is there a way to look up Takakeisho's overall record only in matches that are torinaoshi? I suspect it's really bad.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jason should have been made an official partner imo

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

It's during the basho so all the coaches and sekitori are going to be at the arena so the only ones there would be the lower rankers that aren't fighting that day and I guess Daikiho was there to babysit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

pseudodragon posted:

It's during the basho so all the coaches and sekitori are going to be at the arena so the only ones there would be the lower rankers that aren't fighting that day and I guess Daikiho was there to babysit.

Oh I didn't realize it was that recent, figured they had filmed it before the basho. I didn't even know who Daikiho was since he's only spent 1 basho in the top division, I'm looking at his sumodb page now and I'm noticing something unusual, he changed his shikona from Yamaguchi (his real name) to Daikiho after getting to Juryo but then changed it back to Yamaguchi after his first sandanme makekoshi (after falling there quite rapidly), he then changed it to Daikiho for his last basho, presumably just to retire under that name.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Jason should have been made an official partner imo

Except maybe for kickboxing, sumo is by far the hardest to support officially. I swear they absolutely do not want their sport global.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Is Tamawashi fighting hurt, or is age just catching up to him? I feel like he should have at least scraped a win by now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Liquid Communism posted:

Is Tamawashi fighting hurt, or is age just catching up to him? I feel like he should have at least scraped a win by now.

Likely both. He's the oldest guy in the top division, and there's only 20 guys older than him on the entire banzuke, 5 in Sandanme and the rest even lower. Dude's about to turn 39 years old, that's incredibly old for top division Sumo, and he's at a rank in the division where he's essentially fighting the same guys an Ozeki would fight, just in a different order, put him at M12 or something and you might suddenly see a completely different result.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkB-11suck
:allears:
The Abema feed had a brilliant moment today

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bentai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkB-11suck
:allears:
The Abema feed had a brilliant moment today

That's sick lol. People who show (any attempt at) grace and humour when caught out always get my respect

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Brut posted:

Likely both. He's the oldest guy in the top division, and there's only 20 guys older than him on the entire banzuke, 5 in Sandanme and the rest even lower. Dude's about to turn 39 years old, that's incredibly old for top division Sumo, and he's at a rank in the division where he's essentially fighting the same guys an Ozeki would fight, just in a different order, put him at M12 or something and you might suddenly see a completely different result.

And on top of being the oldest, he's also in the unique position of being essentially unable to go kyujo for a rest. His whole thing is his reputation as the iron man of sumo and the unbroken streak, and that means that as long as he's physically capable of stepping on the dohyo and doing some kind of sumo, he's gonna do it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Khizan posted:

And on top of being the oldest, he's also in the unique position of being essentially unable to go kyujo for a rest. His whole thing is his reputation as the iron man of sumo and the unbroken streak, and that means that as long as he's physically capable of stepping on the dohyo and doing some kind of sumo, he's gonna do it.

Yeah that too.

I wonder, is there a record for oldest man to have a bout in makuuchi? Is Tamawashi close to breaking it? Looks like Aminishiki (at 39) was the oldest man to be repromoted to makuuchi, so the record's at least that, but I'm not sure about actually just having a bout if you're already there.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Khizan posted:

He just moved into second place in terms of consecutive basho bouts fought (his heya's withdrawal due to COVID notwithstanding). Dude is a machine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kotoeko robbed

Also lmao Ura smashing Ryuuden’s face into the dirt

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

This one confused me. How do they call things like this?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Marching Powder posted:

That's sick lol. People who show (any attempt at) grace and humour when caught out always get my respect
Uncle Waka (66th yokozuna Wakanohana) is hilarious and one of the best parts of the weekend matches. He's very charismatic and is the perfect color commentator. Lately he's gotten a "stuntman" to help him demonstrate techniques:
https://clips.twitch.tv/VainAffluentSalmonWholeWheat-8eiSRU_2ur6xYvvj
https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperyTriumphantCobblerVoHiYo-KmGMnJp-VJzbNcHI

Oh and he got really into opening sumo trading cards back in May:
https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductiveIncredulousInternBIRB-DHx-H-WSTU1NCBR7

Taffy Torpedo posted:

This one confused me. How do they call things like this?
That was a weird one, especially since it looked like it happened right in front of a shimpan, but nobody bothered to call a mono-ii, so the gyoji call stood.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 16, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Bentai posted:

Uncle Waka (66th yokozuna Wakanohana) is hilarious and one of the best parts of the weekend matches. He's very charismatic and is the perfect color commentator. Lately he's gotten a "stuntman" to help him demonstrate techniques:

He actually had this stuntman (Maybe not the same person I'm not sure) before covid but because of the distancing rules had to be alone for a while, so it's the lifting of restrictions that allowed the proper demonstrations to resume.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There are a bunch of names, mainly in the lower M-ranks that I really struggle to care about or memorise, despite seeing many of them for countless bashos at this point.
So here's a challenge for the dedicated sumo heads - is there anything noteworthy/interesting to say about the following people?
Nishikifuji, Nishikigi, Miogiryu, Daishoho, Kotoshoho, Meisei

Also, it really seems like Asanoyama gets these disproportionately big reactions both before and after his bouts. Is there a reason for his popularity?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also, Day 7:
Man, Hoshoryu is haveing a rough one

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Beeswax posted:

There are a bunch of names, mainly in the lower M-ranks that I really struggle to care about or memorise, despite seeing many of them for countless bashos at this point.
So here's a challenge for the dedicated sumo heads - is there anything noteworthy/interesting to say about the following people?

Also, it really seems like Asanoyama gets these disproportionately big reactions both before and after his bouts. Is there a reason for his popularity?

Nishikifuji is actually a fairly recent addition to the top division, he came up last year around the same time as Midorifuji, both are in Isegahama which is Terunofuji's stable, they have a lot of fujis (but not Hokutofuji, he's in Hakkaku). He's small but not tiny, got pretty good technique, fairly exciting fighter or at least was as he was coming up.

Nishikigi has been has been around for a long time, bouncing between the top and second division since about 2016, he's notable for having very bad eyesight so if you're ever seeing him off the dohyo he's probably wearing glasses, he says he can barely see his opponent sometimes during bouts. He was a very middling wrestler for a long time but recently something seems to have clicked and suddenly he's competitive at the sanyaku level.

Myogiryu has been around even longer, in the top division near-consecutively since 2011, in fact he only has 6 basho in the second division, 3 from before he came up and 3 from a couple short-lived drops in 2017/2018, for his first few years in the top division he was very competitive and was fighting all the strongest guys, but eventually injures and father time caught up with him and now at 36 years old (37 next month) he has to mostly rely on veteran technique.

Daishoho has spent much more time in Juryo than the top division (23 Juryo basho vs just 9 in makuuchi), don't know too much about him.

Kotoshoho is still pretty young, just turned 24 years old last month, he was very strongly anticipated as he was coming up while still fighting under the shikona kototebakari (his family name is tebakari, and all sadogatake-beya wrestlers use the prefix koto), but has so far not produced the best of results, but given his age he still has a long time to improve. His old shikona of Kototebakari is now occupied by his 20 year old brother.

Meisei is notable for having come up through Maezumo in 2011, meaning that he is not one of the many wrestlers that went to college first and came in to sumo through there, he's risen through the ranks gradually and besides one disaster of a tournament in March of last year, has been fairly competitive at the top level for the last couple years. He's also notable for being one of the guys that (sort of) fights under his real name, his real name is Kawabata Meisei (Last name first), and his shikona is Meisei Chikara, so basically he's "firstname power".

Asanoyama is popular because he did very well in University sumo and rose to the top division very quickly upon entering professional sumo, his first official tournament was in 2016 and by 2020 he was an Ozeki, from what I gather people also think he's quite good looking. Unfortunately for him he violated covid regulations many times and initially lied about it when he got caught (something like that anyway), he was given a 1 year suspension as punishment which is why he is now trying to climb back to where he was, some still think he will not only make it back to Ozeki but will contend for Yokozuna eventually, personally I do not think either one of those will happen.

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 17, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

Nishikigi has been has been around for a long time, bouncing between the top and second division since about 2016, he's notable for having very bad eyesight so if you're ever seeing him off the dohyo he's probably wearing glasses, he says he can barely see his opponent sometimes during bouts.

Just an addendum, in bjj classes they'd sometimes have us roll with our eyes closed. Grapple by feel. And while it's definitely an adjustment I could absolutely believe that a mostly blind person could be effective once the bodies are connected.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

If I can, can I still trade Aioyama for Atamifuji?

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Yeah whoa, don't lump Nishikigi in with those other guys. He's no lower maegashira, he's a Sanyaku man!

(Though you'd absolutely be forgiven for thinking that, since he's spent the majority of his career well below Makuuchi. He escaped a 1.5 year stint in Juryo just last year!)

The media loves to point out that he has apparently had the third slowest rise to Sanyaku in history, taking 103 tournaments! He's the living embodiment of slow and steady wins the race. As for his current rise in power, here's his explanation of it in an interview after his kinboshi win over Terunofuji in July:

Nishikigi posted:

[With me turning 33 in August], it is of course difficult to overcome fatigue. However, I still wish to be promoted to sanyaku. To accomplish this, I must make sure I'm in good condition. The source of my energy is potato shochu. It's quite a living expense, but I am more concerned about the quantity rather than quality. I buy a lot of cheap potato shochu. I look forward to enjoying it when I return to the heya."

He's also a talented artist! Here's his depiction of his great love, oh and also one he did of his wife.

Sumostew also did a really nice deep dive into the history of his shikona:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4bimwb6ejM

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Beeswax posted:

Brut already got to it but I'll do my best as well.

Nishikifuji is pretty new to me still and I don't really have a bead on him. Seems a bit undersized and a bit of an all-rounder as far as style. It's always tougher to get attached to the all-rounders (see also, Meisei).

Nishikigi is a stalwart midfielder who occasionally has streaks of really good results. He is bigger than he seems, often tipping the scales near the 400lb mark and has terrific upper body strength. Stylistically he prefers to grapple, but due to his poor eyesight and low speed he often ends up going for overhooks (kimedashi) rather than underhooks or a belt grip. Terunofuji and ex-Tochinoshin are some other guys who seem to prefer that grip as it puts that upper body strength to work and doesn't require any speed to apply.

Myogiryu is a crafty veteran from the same stable as ex-Goeido (current Gonoyama's coach) and Sadanoumi, so you can expect fast feet from him most of the time. He has been pretty popular in Japan for his good looks and longevity. He's quite versatile as well; most fast guys prefer pushing and thrusting and Myogiryu certainly does as well, but his good footwork means he can get those belt based kimarite as well.

Daishoho is a big lad and is one of those guys who bounces between Juryo and Makuuchi depending on the competition. For this reason he may not be worth paying too much attention to? Single digit Maegashira ranks would be his ceiling as he relies heavily on his bulk rather than on any particularly decisive offensive tools. He is an inferior version of Tsurugisho.

Kotoshoho was a promising prospect at one point but seems to have lost his way. I think he may be a better athlete than fighter as he seems to struggle to adapt on the fly. Kagayaki is a similar guy in my mind - all the physical tools to succeed but can't seem to put together a winning formula.

Meisei is tough to get a bead on as well as he is so well-rounded and has no signature style nor physical attributes. I always try to remember that Meisei is Hoshoryu's teammate and this helps me to feel for the poor guy, getting bodied on the regular by a guy like that.

And yeah Asanoyama is/was a great wrestler and former Ozeki. If he can get his fitness back to where it was when he was an Ozeki I think he is a match for Kirishima and Hoshoryu; all three are belt guys but whereas Hoshoryu and Kirishima show the Mongolian proclivity for throw/-nage based kimarite, Asanoyama is a classic yorikiri man on the belt, and I think that should be a nice check on the two Mongolian youngsters. Asanoyama is a bit heavier and more stable as well. He's almost 30 though, so he's probably got only 3 or 4 years to put together the needed wins. He's popular as he is/was a genuine hope for a young, handsome, Japanese Yokozuna and people are rooting for him to redeem himself after some extra-curricular foolishness. Especially now that there are two more young Mongolian Ozeki, Asanoyama represents a real hope for a local boy to make good (who isn't Takakeisho).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Day 7:

Kinbozan is not a smart man.

I love seeing Ura do Ura poo poo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Pigheaded and stupid as he was I'm glad asanoyama is back mixing it up with this crop.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Filing a complaint with the JSA over the robbery of my heya member Oho by the horizontal Endo

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 8: Ozeki ranks in shambles today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Natto trying out a new thing to avoid the copyright hunt: uploading to Rumble dot com instead:

https://rumble.com/user/NattoSumo
Day 8: I love a good Chioshoma henka. It may suck to be on the receiving end but c'mon, everyone knows what they're getting into with the guy. Love my wily mongolian.

It's nice seeing Hokuseiho developing more active wrestling and trying stuff other than the old one-arm lean-on.

At first I loved 'Keisho vs Tobizaru. Such a mad scramble. But watching the replay, holy poo poo all those clashing heads throughout the bout, leading up to that final headbutt KO. No wonder Keisho was wobbly. Really uncomfortable stuff.

Beeswax fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 17, 2023