Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Caros
May 14, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

No one looked forward to her in the first place. Like her inclusion feels like a joke to begin with

She's basically the Baraka of this game so yeah, not like she is being treated seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Welp, this game has convinced me to reinstall MK11 instead. I can't believe how inferior this game is and I'm a little shocked that you guys have the opposite opinion.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here

...! posted:

Welp, this game has convinced me to reinstall MK11 instead. I can't believe how inferior this game is and I'm a little shocked that you guys have the opposite opinion.

There's nothing wrong with this. Enjoy whatever games you like playing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Story mode was incredible

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

...! posted:

People keep saying this looks better, and I'm looking back and forth between my characters in this and my characters in that, and how they perform, and I just prefer MK11. I liked how the grounded combos felt, though they were repetitive and limited, so I can see why they wanted to change that. The cameos are cute but just seem like fluff that distracts, not adds. Gimme MK1 on gamepass though, please.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My feelings so far is that this is not better than 11 but I am still having a lot of fun with it. I think there are some missteps as well as some cool ideas, and it kinda evens out to being solid. The story mode’s production is astounding. The roster and functionality of the characters is definitely novel. The invasions mode is a cool idea but as I elaborated on earlier I think 11 had more enticing single player options. The kameos don’t appeal to me and feel perfunctory but they also don’t make the game a mess so I can take it or leave it.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Frankly I'm surprised they put the kombat kids in, I have a feeling a lot of people are gonna be big mad when the game gets its general release

I mean we already knew Takeda's DLC. Someone earlier mentioned that there's an unused sequence where the Kombat Kids are actually kicking rear end, I bet that was meant to segue into Takeda's DLC preview fight like the ones Ermac and Quan Chi got, but probably got cut because Takeda isn't far along enough.

Unbound posted:

I would have loved to see Khrome, Nimbus, Art Lean, Hydro, etc.

Gimme Pantherk and Bear Sub-Zero, complete with their name callouts being obvious text-to-speech.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man nurse posted:

My feelings so far is that this is not better than 11 but I am still having a lot of fun with it. I think there are some missteps as well as some cool ideas, and it kinda evens out to being solid. The story mode’s production is astounding. The roster and functionality of the characters is definitely novel. The invasions mode is a cool idea but as I elaborated on earlier I think 11 had more enticing single player options. The kameos don’t appeal to me and feel perfunctory but they also don’t make the game a mess so I can take it or leave it.

My take on MKOne so far is that the total package feels like a C+ paper being handed in by an A+ student, they clearly and obviously were being made to rush this out the door to meet a quarterly checkpoint. MK11 felt like a more complete product in terms of the gear progression, Towers of Time, game modes, and QoL options that seem like no-brainers (being able to loving have loadouts, pin moves, see how to get certain items, even an AI logic mode). It's weird that NRS is in the spot Capcom was years back with the incomplete SF5, where now SF6 is probably one of the best complete fighting games in the last decade. Of the "new era" games that include Injustice 2, MK11, and MK One, this newest one feels like the weakest in terms of a package deal.

I think a lot of dumber missteps and mistakes will be rectified since the team does give a poo poo about their games, plus the game is still technically "in early releases" so I expect next week will have a patch for things like the store not refreshing, things like that. I do wish the Invasion maps had half as many fights and turned them to 2-round affairs. Game has zero flow to it with just 1-round fights--my buddy came over today to spar and try out all the kharacters and we had a tremendously fun time mixing up the roster and Kameos. A lot of the general gameplay combat is fantastic but the typical NRS stuffed sandwich of content feels like a lean ham sandwich with no fixings.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

baraka loving rules in this game, both in the story mode and also in gameplay. He's so flashy and extra

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I love the kameos because anything that gets Styker in a game is great in my book.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

...! posted:

I agree with you but I have done everything there is to do in MK11

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

https://twitter.com/mr_baconssauro/status/1703146940953756023

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I came up with a theory in my brain that this was originally Injustice 3, but then they got worried about the Discovery acquisition and the rights to the IP, so pivoted relatively late in development. This is why all the character designs are very basic and the DLC is all superheroes. Is there anything to this?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

porfiria posted:

I came up with a theory in my brain that this was originally Injustice 3, but then they got worried about the Discovery acquisition and the rights to the IP, so pivoted relatively late in development. This is why all the character designs are very basic and the DLC is all superheroes. Is there anything to this?

No. Why would that have anything to do with the character designs being basic?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

porfiria posted:

No.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I don't think it's an entirely baseless theory, I'm sure some exec saw that MK11 rocketed up to being the 4th best selling fighting game though and said "drop what you're working on and do more that".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Y'all know it takes hundreds of people years to make a AAA game right? They did not late in development pivot to an entirely different game

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I think Mk1 is obviously a reskinned Tekken 4,i mean a fighting game? With spiky haired characters? Come on Ed boon i see through you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The basic pared-down character designs are an artistic choice, just like the much brighter color palette, the techno soundtrack that's kind of reminiscent of classic MK1-3, and making Outworld into Magical East/Southeast Asia Pastiche instead of whatever the gently caress it was before. Things you do when you're looking for a new angle on an old property.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 17, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Scorpion AND Subzero? Anyone else notice that Mortal Kombat 1 is just Mortal Kombat One from 1992?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just saw Darrius' fatality and it's not even his old fatality, ie the one memorable thing he ever did. Why is he in this game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In terms of having robust single player kontent and progression, I think MK1 is clearly not on the same level as MK11. In terms of creating a fun competitive fighting game however, MK1 evolves on that greatly while doing away with some of the most annoying poo poo about MK11. Higher damage, lower defense, no more counterpick doh-see-doh, fairer footsies. Everything is generally more unsafe which means you actually get to press buttons and land combos (this is a hypothetical statement until I stop dropping every one I do). I know probably most people here don’t play MK ranked at all but this is probably the best one to pick up and learn.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I just saw Darrius' fatality and it's not even his old fatality, ie the one memorable thing he ever did. Why is he in this game

Havik needed a buddy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love how all these other 3D era losers have been completely rehabilitated with new designs and more interesting character profiles and here’s Darrius with the same Matrix Revolutions rear end look saying not a word the entire time.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all know it takes hundreds of people years to make a AAA game right? They did not late in development pivot to an entirely different game

I mean pivoted like 20 months ago, not 3 months. MK11 came out in 2019. Maybe it's just COVID tho.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

They've already said in interviews it's because MK sells gangbusters and Covid and switching to a new engine hurt their production schedule. If they did Injustice first they'd be 6 years without their biggest moneymaker

You don't need to make conspiracy theories based on the fact that media likes to make violent superheroes, they just want money dude

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Blockhouse posted:

No. Why would that have anything to do with the character designs being basic?

The designs are good, actually.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah but there is some side eying those 3 lovely looking kp1 cartoon characters made for 12 year old 30 somethings being meant for an inj3. Then again mk11 had a rabdom dude pretending to cosplay as the joker so what do i know

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

I love how all these other 3D era losers have been completely rehabilitated with new designs and more interesting character profiles and here’s Darrius with the same Matrix Revolutions rear end look saying not a word the entire time.

I love that Darius is still wierd and boring lmao

I want to see new Fujin, Hotaru, and hell a new Onaga, give me a new Madam Bo and A shokan as well and I will give you all of my money Ed

No more wierd guests after these dorks, please just stop

Can we skip the capes and go right to kombat pack 2? Because Jesus christ potentially WAY more interesting dudes in this new universe

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 17, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think the designs for MK1 are great. In the previous games they really tried moving outward design wise on the palette swap crew, but i love bringing them back to their roots. Like MK1 reptile is by far my favorite version of him. I disliked Sub Zeros shredder variants so being back to a more ninja esque costume owns. The kameos being 3d versions of the iconic 2d outfits is great.

The rest of the cast features a similar design vibe but with enough variation that the characters pop sufficiently.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Jerkface posted:

I think the designs for MK1 are great. In the previous games they really tried moving outward design wise on the palette swap crew, but i love bringing them back to their roots. Like MK1 reptile is by far my favorite version of him. I disliked Sub Zeros shredder variants so being back to a more ninja esque costume owns. The kameos being 3d versions of the iconic 2d outfits is great.

The rest of the cast features a similar design vibe but with enough variation that the characters pop sufficiently.

Yeah new Reptile is the best he's ever been

The MK 1 looks are all pretty great. I know some people dislike New Rain but I think he looks sick, I dig his new sorcerer angle, wish he got more to do in the story with it tbh

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

The designs are good, actually.

They are! Basic doesn't mean bad.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Blockhouse posted:

They are! Basic doesn't mean bad.

the meaning of the word has changed alot past 10 years but :shrug: generally means boring and bad these days

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Apparently the shrine is seasonal too and you gotta check back before it lets you use it again and locks you out... kinda sucks. Aa much as im enjoying the story and gameplay, i prefer prior games reward systems to this one

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

the meaning of the word has changed alot past 10 years but :shrug: generally means boring and bad these days

Context is a thing, or when someone says they're sick do you think they're saying they're awesome

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

McSpanky posted:

Context is a thing, or when someone says they're sick do you think they're saying they're awesome

Reading comprehension is a thing. The context here was how the other poster thought the designs were basic because they thought the game might have been inj3 and switched late in dev, ie: rushed. Thanks for playing.

I am sick tho

Johnny Postnemonic fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 17, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Anyway, theres a shaolin monks II cabniet in the cage mansion invasions. :sickos:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Much like the main game is a tribute to the DA/Deception/Armageddon era, the DLC characters are clearly a tribute to MK vs DC. I can't wait for the MK 9/X/11 tribute game. Bring back Cyber Sub-Zero!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Outside of John Cena's Peacemaker, Omniman and the Boys evil supermen are absolutely not made of an Injustice game lmao. Like maybe they got Injustice "3" Superman tech they scrapped but also the rumored Kombat pack 2 DLC having two more DC characters is kind of terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
There were a lot of inj3 rumours before mk12 hints started dropping, could be where a lot of it is coming from, there was nothing of substance tho unlike mk12 (like that mk12.exe file in a nrs tweet and poo poo lol) just trust me my uncle is ed boon stuff