Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
One piece is also just better than bebop, as a property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

Easily. The people who worked on One Piece were not in fact, ashamed they were working on One Piece. They did not set out to "Make One Piece for a modern audience" or say "Actually, we don't really like One Piece." Or any of the usual signs of a poo poo-rear end adaption/show.

It's slightly off-topic but very recently I learned the current Showrunners for Power Rangers basically went "The reason this isn't doing as well as it used to and isn't bigger is because we're tied to Sentai, and when we're in meetings reviewing the footage how can we not laugh at the toy models or rubber suits?" And like... how are you meant to ever make something good if you're ashamed of what it is you're working on?

One Piece isn't good because it is a perfect 1-to-1 adaption, it's good because it carries the essence of what One Piece is. They don't try to be above it all by ladening it with irony-poisoned sarcasm. They don't have Luffy hoist the Anime accurate Jolly Roger and go "That's dumb and cartoony" and then make a 'modern one' that 'looks cooler'. There's no "Welcome to the Ouch Motherfucker" or an inability to let characters be vulnerable and open. There's no bizarre adherence to exacts from anime in the opposite direction (Ed in that One Scene). It carries the tone, the energy, and the heart, without being literal, made by a cast and crew who genuinely seem to like what they're doing.

The guy who wrote the manga was allowed in the room and to make decisions on this as they were making it so that helped.

Thinking about more recent awful adaptations of animated stuff and also old ones; like Artemis Fowl, all the Disney movies, Avatar TLA, it's weird how the last one was the one that stuck the most to the original story. They didn't try and make them into wizards or anything, it was mostly just executive meddling because of the size of the budget and like, bad test screen results from teenagers who were in the 'I'm way too old and cool for cartoons', and Shyamalan not having enough clout to push back and put his foot down on some of the changes while he's seemingly the only person who had actually watched the show.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

mikeycp posted:

One piece is also just better than bebop, as a property

And yet I still can't keep running through my head how they got One Piece translated into live action so well and completely beefed it on "sci-fi procedural cop show with light serialized elements" which is EVERY TELEVISION SHOW.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

One Piece is an inherently goofy story with incredibly well realised relationships and some very succinct but poignet emotional beats.

Cowboy Bebop is a serious noir with some dark humor sprinkled throughout.

The former gives a lot of wiggle room for editing it down to tv-script-size. The bones are good enough that they can move Arlong around, but still hit the marks. There's also enough humor built in that you can more or less stay true to the source w/o having to inject extra stuff.

Bebop (and I still think it's way better than people give it credit for, slightly above doctor who quality sci-fi) probably would have worked if they'd been more true to the source material. They tried to inject a bunch of humor, but it was awful and mostly fell flat. & the Vicious cutaways were bewildering in direction and writing.

But ultimately, Bebop was a tight, really, really solid tv show already. One Piece has the anime, but there's a billion episodes of it, and of all varying quality. The live-action doesn't really have something to as easily compare it against.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
the visuals look cartoony, cheap and like poo poo
thats much more forgivable in one piece than it is in cowboy bebop

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
plus

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cowboy Bebop is such a basic bitch anime that feels so much like a slam dunk that any rear end in a top hat thinks they can just go at it half-cocked. You have to be a certain kind of sicko to even ATTEMPT One Piece.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i started a reread of the manga after watching this show and the show is just not anywhere close in quality, its missing so many character beats and its not very funny. the manga is constantly hilarious and the show leans way harder into melodrama. but it is a good adaptation of the major themes of one piece, and its trying really hard to be faithful, so i cant hate it and i guess i can recommend it to the morons in my life who refuse to read a manga

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

i started a reread of the manga after watching this show and the show is just not anywhere close in quality, its missing so many character beats and its not very funny. the manga is constantly hilarious and the show leans way harder into melodrama. but it is a good adaptation of the major themes of one piece, and its trying really hard to be faithful, so i cant hate it and i guess i can recommend it to the morons in my life who refuse to read a manga

lol the manga is the same 3 jokes over and over for 25 years. I get that it's aimed at 12 year olds but are 37 year olds still laughing every time Sanji and Zoro bicker and Nami gets mad at them?

I started trying to read the manga again after this show and while I generally agree that the writing is pretty good overall I discovered that the filler is the boss fights. There are fights that go on for literally an entire volume and I just turbo through them because they add nothing to the story other than when someone learns a new fighting skill or something. And those all have the same 25 year old jokes too. Haha the boss is making a speech and the crew aren't paying attention to it and he's really mad about it! XD

I'm glad that I finally have the motivation to push through the manga now and I'm enjoying the actual plot relevant stuff but this isn't even close to the best manga or comic I've ever read. It's very good for what it is though

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

lol the manga is the same 3 jokes over and over for 25 years. I get that it's aimed at 12 year olds but are 37 year olds still laughing every time Sanji and Zoro bicker and Nami gets mad at them?

I started trying to read the manga again after this show and while I generally agree that the writing is pretty good overall I discovered that the filler is the boss fights. There are fights that go on for literally an entire volume and I just turbo through them because they add nothing to the story other than when someone learns a new fighting skill or something. And those all have the same 25 year old jokes too. Haha the boss is making a speech and the crew aren't paying attention to it and he's really mad about it! XD

I'm glad that I finally have the motivation to push through the manga now and I'm enjoying the actual plot relevant stuff but this isn't even close to the best manga or comic I've ever read. It's very good for what it is though

wow! youre a moron

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

wow! youre a moron

Unsurprising response from someone who still acts like they're 12 years old lol

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
very funny to watch two people with takes that are both bad in different ways argue which one's is worse lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Unsurprising response from someone who still acts like they're 12 years old lol

alright, helmeppo

TriffTshngo posted:

very funny to watch two people with takes that are both bad in different ways argue which one's is worse lol

you wont see me arguing

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The only way you could fully translate the humor of manga/anime One Piece into live action would be to go full Charlie Chaplin/Three Stooges, and I'm not sure that would work with also the dramatic and actiony parts as well.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

yup

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Tree Reformat posted:

The only way you could fully translate the humor of manga/anime One Piece into live action would be to go full Charlie Chaplin/Three Stooges, and I'm not sure that would work with also the dramatic and actiony parts as well.

you cant have poo poo be as exaggerated cause itd be hella annoying in live action but u could do funnier writing. there were some funny lines in the show like when buggy talked but they were few and far between
trying to adapt all the humor and all the melodrama from 100 chapters of one piece in a tv show season was never gonna work, tho. it really comes down to it being a more palatable way of enjoying one piece

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I watched some episodes of the anime for the first time after watching the live action show but I couldn't get into it. The world is cool and I want to know more about it but all the slapstick yelling and screaming constantly wasn't doing it for me. I'm glad they toned that stuff down for the live action version, which I enjoyed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
it got me rereading one piece

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It is true that the live action show misses a lot of great character beats, especially in Arlong Park which is drastically abridged due to how little time it got. I think it's a nice companion to the manga that adds something though, it's significantly more accessible than the original (which is silly and exaggerated even for animanga) and has significantly more drive and fun across the first 3 arcs (Shellstown, Orangetown, Syrup Village) which are honestly just not that good in the original and put a lot of people off. Plus I just generally enjoyed how they reinterpreted the characters.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

I watched some episodes of the anime for the first time after watching the live action show but I couldn't get into it. The world is cool and I want to know more about it but all the slapstick yelling and screaming constantly wasn't doing it for me. I'm glad they toned that stuff down for the live action version, which I enjoyed.

I started watching the anime earlier this year. I like it but I wouldn't recommend it. The sentimentality gets really grating in the anime. The live action is sentimental too, probably even more so since they trimmed the arcs but left the backstories untouched. But it's charming, in the LA, it's handled well and the child actors they cast in the backstories are good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the comic is honestly the best way to do it. oda is a contender for best comic maker man of all time. his compositions are godly.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

Godspeed on your voyage!

Curious how far you are into the story? I don't think it's a spoiler to note that it's pretty universally agreed the comic is great up until a point where it explodes and then never really takes it foot off the gas. Wondering if you've reached that yet or are still working towards it.

Fucker posted:

you cant have poo poo be as exaggerated cause itd be hella annoying in live action but u could do funnier writing. there were some funny lines in the show like when buggy talked but they were few and far between

"Hey kid, you want to get tall really really fast" got a laugh from me.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Given how much Buggy has taken off in popularity from the LA, I wonder if they'll make some more minor modifications to bring him into even more storylines he wasn't originally part of.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I like the live action version better because it disposes of the wacky poo poo for the most part.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doing a re-read of the early stuff after seeing the series and I really like how much more integrated Nami is into things, especially the fact she fights with her staff. One thing shonen battle is not great with is ladies fighting. Her stuff was Kaya was great, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, one of my bigger complaints about one piece is that nami and a future crew member rarely if ever get fights of their own. nami has had a few during its run and they were usually very good(the one from the next arc is great), and the other character gets exactly one major fight of their own in the entire series until recently, and it's one of my favorites of them all, so it's a shame they don't get more time to fight.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, one of my bigger complaints about one piece is that nami and a future crew member rarely if ever get fights of their own. nami has had a few during its run and they were usually very good(the one from the next arc is great), and the other character gets exactly one major fight of their own in the entire series until recently, and it's one of my favorites of them all, so it's a shame they don't get more time to fight.

And said crew member has an ability that could make for some very cool-looking fights but well. Hopefully the show gets that far.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yea I didn't like the voices and also Luffy seems meaner I think. I tried dubbed too but it has typical anime dub voicing which is a shame.
I love how incredibly wholesome LA Luffy is

Taear fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 17, 2023

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I think the biggest problem with Bebop, after the lack of wiggle room, is that it was Netflix's project.

"But so is One Piece."

No, the One Piece live action license is in the hands of Tomorrow Studios. Netflix is putting money in their pocket, but this is Tomorrow's baby/cash cow. They're going to fight to get the right people and make the right calls. Or they'll walk. One Piece is a big loving deal and making it work is going to make a lot of people rich and a lot of people famous.

Bebop was work for hire. They did what Netflix told them because there was no reason to fight them on it. If it turned out good, great. If it sucked, well, sucks for Netflix.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Adder Moray posted:

Bebop was work for hire. They did what Netflix told them because there was no reason to fight them on it. If it turned out good, great. If it sucked, well, sucks for Netflix.

There were other warning signs, of course, like the showrunners not thinking Bebop is set in a dystopia. That said it does feel like a lot of Netflix's most well-regarded work they actually just stream and don't really have a hand in creating.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They made One Piece good and Cowboy Bebop bad. Weird choice on the latter's behalf if you ask me.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

That just tells me that if Netflix drops them, they can go shopping around with it. Maybe get picked up by Amazon or something.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

This show had some really cool sets. I can't believe they made that massive fish shaped restaurant practically, it looked awesome.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rndmnmbr posted:

That just tells me that if Netflix drops them, they can go shopping around with it. Maybe get picked up by Amazon or something.

Toei streaming gonna be crazy.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

Agree.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am five episodes in, taking it nice and slow because it is just so much fun and there is only one series.
In terms of the manga I am up to the Skypeia arc (according to the front of the volume I am about to start) and the whole thing has been so incredibly engaging. There is so much about the crew to resonate with and how they are pirates in a real sense, but not pirates in the sense people think of pirates.

I know I still have tens and tens of volumes to go but so far this show has captured the feel of the East Blue arc if not all the amazing details and there are a ton I noticed have not quite made it to the screen, however I do not mind the least bit. I have the manga for the proper stuff and the LA for just a genuinely good bit of TV. I hope it makes more people read the manga so they can see just how awesome everyone is!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Skypiea is such a fascinating arc to talk about because until Fishman Island and Dressrosa it was almost unanimously the most divisive arc in the entire series. Some people loving HATED it, some people loving LOVED it(me), some people consider it filler because it didn't "connect" to anything at the time, it was basically a standalone adventure. But it's such a creative setting that I could never hate it, and the storytelling is fantastic in all the ways One Piece excels. It also has probably the single most famous panel in all of one piece. And the mechanisms introduced during it giving Usopp more utility beyond just his slingshot and skullduggery and Nami some upgrades as well was incredibly important for them as characters imo.

So, season 2. what do folks think they'll cut, and what will they get to? I am really curious if they can cover all of Alabasta in another 8-episode season like the first one. All of Drum Island would probably be 2 episodes on its own, right? Other than that, you've got Loguetown to still cover from East Blue, then Reverse Mountain, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, and Alabasta itself, encompassing 122 chapters total. Would it go Loguetown 1 episode, Reverse Mountain + Whiskey Peak 1 episode, Little Garden 1 episode, Drum Island 2 episodes, Alabasta 3 episodes? I could see that possibly working. There's a lot to cover in Alabasta though, and I really wouldn't want them to cut out basically any of the fights, they're all so good.

I really, really don't want them to, but I think they might cut Little Garden entirely. It's got some fairly important parts to it but it'd be one of those financial nightmares considering everything involved with it would require a lot of special effects.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 18, 2023

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

This is gonna sound crazy but I think I should be hired and be a One Piece character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm definitely hoping we see Loguetown (again!) in season 2, there's some great stuff in there: Zoro meeting Tashigi and testing his luck against a cursed sword, Smoker having a :stare: moment when he sees Luffy laugh in the face of death, the man in the green hood, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

My guess for the season as a whole is that Crocodile will be the central connecting villain of season 2 like Arlong was in season 1, and the final scene of the episode will be the Straw Hats escaping the Navy as heroes, hopefully with the help of Bon Clay :shobon:

God it's so cool to be excited about the live action version of One Piece!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I think they could get away with Alabasta being an entire season, possibly season 3. It's so dense and deserves the world. The Alabasta recap movie shows that if you compress the arc too much you lose a ton of what makes it special so I'd love to see them take their time with it.