Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

StupidNameNobody posted:

Ooh, I liked this quite a bit. Cute, funny, touching. The lesbian bar scenes have a fun dynamic in particular, and the whole generational difference with coming out is also pretty interesting as well. And that confession! Wowowowww!

Also, yeahhhhh

It might just be me not reading enough stuff (and I need to read more obviously) but I really thought it touching on the generational differences and internal conflicts of people who simply have/want different things in their social and private lives and still managing to make things work together, to some degree, owns. Unlike a lot of series where it would have ended like halfway through the series with the "I can't be who you want me to be" sort of scene and been really depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Nuebot posted:

It might just be me not reading enough stuff (and I need to read more obviously) but I really thought it touching on the generational differences and internal conflicts of people who simply have/want different things in their social and private lives and still managing to make things work together, to some degree, owns. Unlike a lot of series where it would have ended like halfway through the series with the "I can't be who you want me to be" sort of scene and been really depressing.
Well, I haven't read much either in this category. Though clearly that won't be true for long. :D

I agree though. Part of what warmed me up to it is breaking through exactly that barrier. Let love prevail, and warm me to the core, please. :h:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm glad that Risa got the big tiddy mommy GF she deserves

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

me too, glad for her

She got a raw deal with ayaka

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

Cross-posting from the general romance thread cause I think it may be relevant here!, I wrote up some thoughts on a GL author I adore:

Haru Tsuzuru, Sakura Saku Kono Heya de: I thought the cover was cute but yeah it was a rough reading it since I didn't know what I was getting into after first few pages :shobon:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:same:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I’ve been reading Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Seven Seas did such a good job with the physical version. I heard the first printing of the first volume wasn’t great but my version is really good quality so they must have fixed the problem.

I’m enjoying these gay robots having comfy slice of life adventures

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

I read 'Our Teachers are Dating!" and I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Just a completely unashamed and joyful celebration of love. 👩‍❤️‍👩🥰

This is going on the shelf.

Also they get married in the end and it shows the ceremony and everything. Yes! Yesssssss!! Yay!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Caught up on "I Love Amy" and man Bibi and Ami are absolute disasters.

They're perfect for each other.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That good gay poo poo is at last, complete. I Love Amy is truly great.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
that was some primo girls' love i'm looking forward to whatever the author does next

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I Love Amy may be the most powerful queer work I've ever read. I adore it and will be thinking back on it for all my life.

Although really, it's the mental health part of it that is so so powerful. That it's also gay (apparently just to fit the story better!) is just a nice bonus. I've never read something so positively affirming, about how even the most broken people can heal, and how even the toughest people to deal with still deserve love. As a very mentally ill woman, I adored this story so so much.

extremely accurate image of me, the GL connoisseur.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope whatever they do next is also gay 🙏

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

gnome7 posted:

I Love Amy may be the most powerful queer work I've ever read. I adore it and will be thinking back on it for all my life.

Although really, it's the mental health part of it that is so so powerful. That it's also gay (apparently just to fit the story better!) is just a nice bonus. I've never read something so positively affirming, about how even the most broken people can heal, and how even the toughest people to deal with still deserve love. As a very mentally ill woman, I adored this story so so much.

extremely accurate image of me, the GL connoisseur.

its really tough to stick a landing on mental health stuff that doesnt feel too pat and i think the author did a great job in that respect. the characters have actual issues that cause actual harm and they had to do a lot of actual work to reach an imperfect result. and thats ftw

i especially liked how the reunion with julia was treated. it didn't need to be on screen, it was something amy had to do to heal and julia had to do to re-enter society but it was never going to be blissful. showing explicitly how amy felt during it would have characterized her as really cold in a way the story didn't need

Snooze Cruise posted:

theyre pretty good at it! but i bet even something nonromantic or straight would be good too

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

I believe in you, Unun-sensei

Snooze Cruise posted:

I also hope, and we may be getting just that?

The author's afterword was a real treat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh i meant whatever they do after the side stories

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

That ending was very good, I was expecting it to wrap everything up in a neat little bow; but the way the author explains it in the bonus chapter thing is perfect.

I Am Fowl posted:

That good gay poo poo is at last, complete. I Love Amy is truly great.

It was a real good read.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Yep, I Love Amy is very beautiful. I had just been reading it lately, great timing on just reaching a conclusion now! 😍

Bibi wiping away Amy's tears. Proposal. Burying Snowball. My heart.😭

Also lol same

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

gnome7 posted:

The author's afterword was a real treat.
Really. I love this retrospection and gentle followup.

The kids! So wonderful 😁

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Feels weird to say bout a GL work, but Peter was really my favourite part after the leads. Oblivious himbos leaving destruction and chaos in the wake of their aimless niceness will never not be screamingly funny to me.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
This is really basic as I'm not a huge manga person, but had a phase of reading stuff in the tatsumi/gekiga spirit years ago. The short Make-Up from 1969 really stuck with me as touching and very open-minded for the time. especially compared to his other stories in which a blank-faced emotionally devastated guy punishes himself by eating sewer eels or whatever

mildly nsfw

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Just finished 'Bloom Into You'. Apparently quite a famous example of the genre.

I was really impressed by this one. The author is so amazingly skilled. First of all, the characters are just awesome all around; they are smart and their interactions aren't driven by stupid misintepretations or misunderstandings, but by their quite clear goals and aspirations that just happen to differ greatly. And even though it's set in a school - something I find really dull - it leverages it in such an interesting way I didn't find myself caring about that at all. The meta-narrative with the play and subsequent rewriting of its ending is so ingenious. I only know you! Ahhh, so good.

Despite being a slow developing story of love, it always feels like it's moving fast. And what a couple - two incredibly capable and kickass people. Love it.

And the drama of it. Touko moving a step towards the train tracks as she considers what lies ahead for her after following her sister all the way to the end of her life is heartbreaking. And it's just as satisfying and wonderful that her friends and eventual lover help her define her own self and future. It feel so earned.

Sayaka is such a cool character too. Why is she so awesome? I'm not sure, but that lady owns incredibly hard to me. A die hard rock of a woman that just calls for my respect. drat.

I also watched the animated adaptation and my only disappointment there is that it didn't reach the end of the original work in terms of plot, and doesn't seem that it ever will. What a brilliant adaptation though. It really captures so much of the source and was clearly made with love for the original work. Nice, nice nice.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

One other recent read that stands out: 'Getting to Know Grace'.

This is the kind of setting I always imagined romance stories to be - a period piece full of lovely nobles and the struggles of such a world. This kind of setting is generally of no interest to me at all... But drat, Grace just kicks so much rear end. She is just so cool. Lesbian fire in a world of pale water.

I love a story of a woman with nothing to lose who just lets it loving rip, stabbing, poisoning, and generally loving up noble bastards along the way with not a regret to be seen. And boy do those bastards have it coming. You go girl.

Her love may not even love her back and she knows it, yet she's going to make her happy and save her anyway, even though it will kill her. She is a true hero that inspires others in her wake. That really moves my heart. Wow!

StupidNameNobody fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 10, 2023

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

StupidNameNobody posted:

Sayaka is such a cool character too. Why is she so awesome? I'm not sure, but that lady owns incredibly hard to me. A die hard rock of a woman that just calls for my respect. drat.

There's a sayaka spinoff LN if you didn't know.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

I didn't! Thanks. :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i have been graced by another one shot from yodokawa, who i worship everyday for blessing me with so many great yuri faces

thank you yodokawa, praise yodokawa
quote this if you thank and praise yodokawa

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I read it yesterday and forgot to post about it, but it's such an incredibly good manga.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

thats a tremendous ^_^

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAA1XtDOuH8

I started reading this in a dark time years ago and got like one or two volumes in then just forgot the name for, uh, reasons. Right around when her other video about Flip Flappers got me to watch that, incidentally. It just hit way too close to home and ... wow, there's some new context there.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Another week, another gay-as-hell romantic read! This is actually my favourite so far and will be difficult to top: 'Ring My Bell' by Yeongol.

This is a romantic comedy with the cutest couple. The two leads Mai and Chungyeon are just so incredibly wonderful to witness. The author is really great - her artwork and writing are awesomely expressive whether it's love or comedy. It's just great fun. I also really like the story structure - their getting together is the midpoint, not the ending. I prefer stories where an admission of love is not the end. I want to see their happiness not just their struggles! The way they act in general is just so heartfelt and loving that it really warms me.

There's some really nice character development too. Chanmi, who starts out being a nasty homophobe, becomes quite lovable in her own right later down the line. I love how her preconceptions and prejudices become painful and wrong to her in the light of the reality she faces in her oldest friend, and how the timing plays out with her and the main couple.

It's a story full of little flourishes that make it so heartwarming and funny. Overall, more than anything, it is simply beautiful. Really left me gushing. :)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

StupidNameNobody posted:

Another week, another gay-as-hell romantic read! This is actually my favourite so far and will be difficult to top: 'Ring My Bell' by Yeongol.

This is a romantic comedy with the cutest couple. The two leads Mai and Chungyeon are just so incredibly wonderful to witness. The author is really great - her artwork and writing are awesomely expressive whether it's love or comedy. It's just great fun. I also really like the story structure - their getting together is the midpoint, not the ending. I prefer stories where an admission of love is not the end. I want to see their happiness not just their struggles! The way they act in general is just so heartfelt and loving that it really warms me.

There's some really nice character development too. Chanmi, who starts out being a nasty homophobe, becomes quite lovable in her own right later down the line. I love how her preconceptions and prejudices become painful and wrong to her in the light of the reality she faces in her oldest friend, and how the timing plays out with her and the main couple.

It's a story full of little flourishes that make it so heartwarming and funny. Overall, more than anything, it is simply beautiful. Really left me gushing. :)

I'm enjoying it so far but not being able to read like 80% of it kind of sucks.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ring my bell is one of my fav manwhas. love my homophobic christian girl side couple 🥺

Nuebot posted:

I'm enjoying it so far but not being able to read like 80% of it kind of sucks.

https://bato.to/series/91317/ring-my-bell-official

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

ring my bell is one of my fav manwhas. love my homophobic christian girl side couple 🥺

Huh, I thought bato.to died. Thanks, though! Having something cute to read after the stressful rear end week I've had is perfect.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ranzear posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAA1XtDOuH8

I started reading this in a dark time years ago and got like one or two volumes in then just forgot the name for, uh, reasons. Right around when her other video about Flip Flappers got me to watch that, incidentally. It just hit way too close to home and ... wow, there's some new context there.

wow this was really painful to watch in the good, self-reflective way

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

wow this was really painful to watch in the good, self-reflective way

As much as my own description of said pipeline is in being sapphic and everyone knowing it but methem, this other angle is really illuminating. Internalizing transphobia that hard leads to avoiding the barest connotations of being trans while outwardly and loudly describing every feature of being trans.

Knowing now that I picked up this channel around the same time I watched Flip Flappers and Madoka and bought a plush shark for some reason. Apparently I was in good company no matter how oblivious to it all.

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Nuebot posted:

Huh, I thought bato.to died. Thanks, though! Having something cute to read after the stressful rear end week I've had is perfect.
Yay! I actually read it twice because I loved it so much. Hope you enjoy it too. 😊

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hell yeah. Chanmi starts off in such a horrible entrenched position but she makes such wholesome choices and develops in such a great way. Helping out Mai and Chungyeon, letting the lovely boyfriend just sever... A brilliant character for a story like this and handled so well. The character synergies are just so strong all around. Also, I like how they always word it like homophobia is some sort of disease that people are afflicted with. Haha!

I'm curious what else you might recommend along the same lines.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

StupidNameNobody posted:

You could check out the author's recent series, Happiness Rides a Broomstick that is currently on going.

Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki invokes similar feelings for me that Ring My Bell does. Mainly affection for its characters.

Ise-san and Shima-san occupies a similar place in my brain for me. Similar lite comedic feel. Its "subtext" (though one is a lesbian).

School Zone is one of those rare high school setting yuris I would call a favorite. V comedic focus like Ring My Bell but also a pretty different vibe. Similarly eclectic to I Love Amy.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 17, 2023

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

StupidNameNobody posted:

I can second Snooze's rec's above, and I am always wanting for more series that don't either immediately end when the main couple gets together or shift focus to be primarily about a side couple, so here are a couple recommendations along those lines since you said you liked that about Ring My Bell

It Would Be Great If You Didn't Exist/Wish You Were Gone is one of my personal favs. A guy cheats on his girlfriend, but oops both the girls he was dating are bi and they dump him and get together instead. The comedic moments remind me a lot of the super exaggerated comedy in Ring my Bell, though it also gets way more serious when it gets serious.

Blooming Sequence was also one of my favs about girls in a college film club getting together. It has a super sketchy art style that I love, though it does do the "lots of focus on a side couple in the second season" thing so oops i guess i lied a bit

Superwomen In Love is a fairly short but very good and fun sentai series about how lesbians are the only thing powerful enough to save the world from despair.

Since you said you're fairly new to romance manga, you might not have checked out Kase San and Morning Glories! It's a fairly standard high school romance, but with two twists: They get together very quickly, and the author followed it up with a sequel, Yamada and Kase-San, which follows the girls as their relationship continues to develop once they've gone to college! Also was adapted to an anime film that is very cute.