Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cr0y posted:

There are reels all over Instagram though saying that the statement is bullshit and literally everything is still down, including the parking gates, so :shrug:

Well, I guess at least the perimeter is secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

BonHair posted:

Well, I guess at least the perimeter is secure.

I should have been more specific, they can't control the gates, so parking is free at the moment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Caesars had data popped as well - https://www.theregister.com/2023/09/14/caesars_mgm_hacks/

https://www.sec.gov/ix?doc=/Archives/edgar/data/0001590895/000119312523235015/d537840d8k.htm

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BrettCallow/status/1702415605612331061

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The balls on that end statement..... :stare:

So they're claiming ransomware hacktivism???

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jiro posted:

It's just ransomware but groups like this often claim to serve some higher purpose. It's not in any way altruistic though, they're criminal enterprises.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hope they get that poo poo sorted out. I have reservations in mid-November for our 25th anniversary.
MGM just straight up lying that everything is fine is concerning.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I keep going back and forth on if I should change my login information for my MGM Rewards now or later when an all clear is sounded.

It's not really that surprising that a publicly traded company would try to obscure how bad the damage is. They're eating a PR poo poo sandwich at the start of the NFL season going into Halloween along with whatever big Fall concerts the properties have lined up.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 15, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

It's just ransomware but groups like this often claim to serve some higher purpose. It's not in any way altruistic though, they're criminal enterprises.

New money is loving with old money again, interested to see what the Finding Out portion will look like this time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would probably do both. Just assume they have your info from before; Even if they’re still (almost certainly) still persistent, they’ll have to do another exfil. So like.. Change it again when you realistically believe MGM has the situation under control.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://arstechnica.com/security/2023/09/how-google-authenticator-gave-attackers-one-companys-keys-to-the-kingdom/

This was an interesting thing that I came across today.

some kinda jackal posted:

I would probably do both. Just assume they have your info from before; Even if they’re still (almost certainly) still persistent, they’ll have to do another exfil. So like.. Change it again when you realistically believe MGM has the situation under control.

Yeah, you're right. Just a hassle.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 15, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
1password has started pushing passkeys on me as an end user. Should I set them up, and if so should I use 1password to create and store them?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's up to you. there is convenience in having everything in one place. there is also risk, both in terms of security (impact wrt. breach) and continuity (losing codes alongside passwords).

there's not really a good-for-everyone answer to that, tbh.

for what it's worth, i have my mfa codes in authy, and store the key material in 1password.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jiro posted:

That statement has real “and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.” dril energy

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

1password has started pushing passkeys on me as an end user. Should I set them up, and if so should I use 1password to create and store them?

If you care about an account, the two (mfa device & password manager) should be separate devices. If you don't ... then why even have it in a pw manager?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volguus posted:

If you care about an account

Can we stop pretending that “care” is a binary choice? I care if someone fucks with my Netflix account because it would be annoying to sort out, and I care about my employer’s stock management portal, because it could definitely cost me money temporarily if someone hosed with it, and I care about my work login because I can authorize 7-digit purchases. Not all of them are worth the same amount of inconvenience to protect. (The first two of mine have MFA codes in Bitwarden, and for the latter I don’t save password in anything.)

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Can we stop pretending that “care” is a binary choice?

You are 100% right, there are many shades of grey to consider. From "I will absolutely do my best to protect this account from any alien interference" to "Password is 1234, who wants to have a go at it?". However, on the internet you cannot really convey or even imagine how much a particular account is worth to someone. Some people go all in and treat any account protection advice like it's gonna have to be safe from the Mossad. Some go the opposite way, smoke a joint and don't worry about it man.

At the end of the day, the safest way is to be 100% paranoid. It's up to you to decide for particular accounts how paranoid you want to be.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jiro posted:

I keep going back and forth on if I should change my login information for my MGM Rewards now or later when an all clear is sounded.
If you're stopping to think about it, is it really that much more time to just change it twice?

If I can do a thing for almost zero additional effort or cost that eliminates my worry going forward I do it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It is funny to me, that just like at work, the fascinating and complex world of infosec trends towards arguing over passwords requirements itt.

not a complaint fwiw

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Volguus posted:

If you care about an account, the two (mfa device & password manager) should be separate devices. If you don't ... then why even have it in a pw manager?

if someone can get in my password manager, then they have access to my device since you'd need my 1password secret key on a new device, at which point it doesn't matter if my mfa is in 1password or not

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm inheriting a massive vulnerability debt and taking on a vulnerability management position with very little experience.

Piss and poo poo. Here we go.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm inheriting a massive vulnerability debt and taking on a vulnerability management position with very little experience.

Username + post combo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

This cuts deep, op.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

No, I am not.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Cannon_Fodder posted:

good luck! who is your vuln mgmt vendor?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This cuts deep, op.

Play your cards right and you could become one of the lucky ones...

https://twitter.com/InternetH0F/status/1702701547786838473

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Compliance manager. Just do not give a gently caress.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm doing my SABSA bootcamp and I can't even begin to tell you how much of a failure this is going to be when I try to apply it to my job, when it presupposes a certain level of organization in projects and business owners lol

But hey, CPEs and linkedin acronyms right??

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Anybody know of any good guides or info I can read about hardening Linux for PCI-DSS? I'm being included into a team to talk about it and while I'm not in charge for this group, I would at least like to have a general idea of which direction we should be going.

[edit] I think it's Red Hat and Ubuntu. No idea on the versions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I could be wrong but I don't believe PCI-DSS is prescriptive in terms of hardening, only that you have a hardening policy and follow it to actually harden your assets.

You can look at something like CIS hardening standard, both levels 1 or 2 depending on how stringent the environment is, but you'll still have to check that your policy says something about the level of compliance and probably speaks to a proper exception/risk process since it's unlikely you'll hit 100% on any hardening standard without impacting something running.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I could be wrong but I don't believe PCI-DSS is prescriptive in terms of hardening, only that you have a hardening policy and follow it to actually harden your assets.

You can look at something like CIS hardening standard, both levels 1 or 2 depending on how stringent the environment is, but you'll still have to check that your policy says something about the level of compliance and probably speaks to a proper exception/risk process since it's unlikely you'll hit 100% on any hardening standard without impacting something running.

This. PCI-DSS really doesn't give you the hardening guidelines, but CIS does. And you can get pre-hardened CIS images.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Takes No Damage posted:

I'm rapidly becoming that guy as the resources I've been asking for have been getting salary lines over the years :/

I'm gonna be out of work before too long

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That guy is setting his bar way too low, the real lanyard analyst do-nothing types get paid double or triple that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Joking aside and speaking of careers -- something I learned WAY too late in my career which SHOULD be obvious:

Book AMPLE busy time in your calendar to DO WORK.

If you don't, all your calendar will be is meetings to talk about the work you're SUPPOSED to be doing that you're not doing because you're in meetings talking about it.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If you don't, all your calendar will be is meetings to talk about the work you're SUPPOSED to be doing that you're not doing because you're in meetings talking about it.
Yea absolutely. The calendar vampires will otherwise suck every minute of availability out of your week. You’ll get nothing done and stress levels will rise.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had no meetings today :sun:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Wibla posted:

I've got 22.

I'll attend 5.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Joking aside and speaking of careers -- something I learned WAY too late in my career which SHOULD be obvious:

Preferably, get a buddy you can set up fake meetings with, since calendar time marked "busy" will often just get ignored by the meeting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Wibla posted:

What's it like being on vacation?