Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
As do Klee's attacks and Yanfei's charge attacks. Razor's electro hold skill as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Candace 2nd AA is blunt dmg with her shield and her skill, especially when held, is like Razor's

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
What's the best order in which to build characters? I've started forming parties and it feels like there are a million things to gather and level up (building up character level, weapons, getting and building up artifacts, talents), and I guess it'd just be good to know where I should start-- having that big open world is fun, but choice paralysis is so real, especially since I've just started playing again for the first time since Dragonspine release and now there's a ton to catch up on! Should I just go straight for character growing first, then weapons, then artifacts (and then do I just focus on getting full sets or do I also want to drop everything until I get full sets with desired stats), or do I just ignore all of it until I find that my party is too weak to even do the main story? Or should I just sit here and stare at my screen and go "how do I hold all this content?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It is virtually impossible to be too weak for the story if you just level up your artifacts and characters to their max level (you are heavily gated at choices until like AR 45) so don't worry about it.

In fact, this is exactly why mihoyo heavily restricts players in both genshin and HSR from actually getting the full access to character talents until realistically a month after heavy play.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Why is it candace's burst overrides Diluc's infusion but doesn't override Ayaka's infusion? :psyduck:

Honestly I can't think of any team where I'd want Candace over someone else. Bonus dmg to infused normal attack damage is so incredibly niche a role and it doesn't even work the way you'd want for all elemental infused normal attackers. At least with Yun Jin / Mika you know what you are getting which is a buff useful for all normal attackers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Obnoxipus posted:

What's the best order in which to build characters? I've started forming parties and it feels like there are a million things to gather and level up (building up character level, weapons, getting and building up artifacts, talents), and I guess it'd just be good to know where I should start-- having that big open world is fun, but choice paralysis is so real, especially since I've just started playing again for the first time since Dragonspine release and now there's a ton to catch up on! Should I just go straight for character growing first, then weapons, then artifacts (and then do I just focus on getting full sets or do I also want to drop everything until I get full sets with desired stats), or do I just ignore all of it until I find that my party is too weak to even do the main story? Or should I just sit here and stare at my screen and go "how do I hold all this content?"
my advice? just pick a 4 character team and focus on building them up. get their levels and their weapon levels up to a decent level, then focus on decent artifacts (4* is fine), then focus on getting their talents that matter to level 6ish. the only real pitfall you can fall into is trying to level too many characters at once. once you have one team built up, building up other characters becomes extremely easy.

as for deciding which characters that should be, just pick one or two characters you like, then figure out what teammates'd fit them. feel free to ask if you dont know

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Why is it candace's burst overrides Diluc's infusion but doesn't override Ayaka's infusion? :psyduck:

https://library.keqingmains.com/evidence/combat-mechanics/elemental-effects/weapon-infusion

All infusions (that don't say 'cannot be overridden' in their description) actually work on elemental application/reaction rules just like all other element mechanics, but the gauge amount and frequency of application are not displayed to the player anywhere. The timing of when each element gets applied can also matter, if one or both are single application infusions.

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 17, 2023

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
On further testing :tinfoil:
Candace's burst gives Ayaka hydro infused attacks but Ayaka's dash overrides with cryo infusion.
Candace's burst gives Diluc hydro infused attacks and his burst doesn't override with pyro infusion.
Candace's burst overrides c6 Bennett's burst.
Candace's burst does not override Chongyun's skill.
Candace's burst does not override Al-Haitham's skill. (deals only dendro damage with no blooms triggered)

She's just so inconsistent. :eng99:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

my advice? just pick a 4 character team and focus on building them up. get their levels and their weapon levels up to a decent level, then focus on decent artifacts (4* is fine), then focus on getting their talents that matter to level 6ish. the only real pitfall you can fall into is trying to level too many characters at once. once you have one team built up, building up other characters becomes extremely easy.

as for deciding which characters that should be, just pick one or two characters you like, then figure out what teammates'd fit them. feel free to ask if you dont know

Thanks, that helps to know! I've been running at the moment with a team of Keqing/Barbara/Venti/Diluc because I had them all to about level 80 by the time I stopped playing almost 3 years ago and at that time, you kind of synergized with what you had. Now there's a bunch of Dendro characters and I have like three of them but can't ascend any for lack of mats and I lack a ton of characters that would probably be really good to have for teams. I did just get Zhongli, though, but I have no Cor Lapis because I used it all ascending Keqing. Go figure. :shobon:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Sanctum posted:

Candace's burst gives Ayaka hydro infused attacks but Ayaka's dash overrides with cryo infusion.
Candace's burst gives Diluc hydro infused attacks and his burst doesn't override with pyro infusion.
Candace's burst does not override Al-Haitham's skill. (deals only dendro damage with no blooms triggered)

is it candace that's inconsistent, or infusions in general

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sanctum posted:

It has to do with how infusions that are granted "tick" on certain intervals, as well as the priority order of different elements. It's... alot, and not much you can plan for in the field if you're mixing more than 2

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Sanctum posted:

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Elemental_Infusion

There’s loads of weird outcomes that do follow some logic because the infusions are essentially reacting with each other as they would if mixed together in a hilichurl. Hydro consumes twice as much pyro in vaporise reactions, so even though Diluc and Candace apply the same amount of their element every 0.5 seconds, the pyro is used up and only hydro is left. Same with Bennett except he applies slightly slower, not that that matters in this case.

And Candace plus Ayaka should result in the cryo almost immediately being used up since Ayaka only applies it once, except hydro and cryo just makes more cryo, as with the Frozen reaction. Same thing happens with Chongyun, hydro plus cryo just reacts to make cryo.

Al-Haitham isn’t an infusion, it’s a conversion so can’t be overridden by anything else. Conversions include more extreme examples like Raiden Shogun’s burst or Yoimiya’s skill.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Meowywitch posted:

They can't gently caress up furina
They could gently caress her up in the opposite direction. Are you ready for Furina Impact?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hydro is so insane as an element that she basically has to be ludicrously overpowered. There is no other option. She's the Nahida in an element that already has not one but two Xingqiu's. She's going to be the most broken character in the game.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eimi posted:

Hydro is so insane as an element that she basically has to be ludicrously overpowered. There is no other option. She's the Nahida in an element that already has not one but two Xingqiu's. She's going to be the most broken character in the game.

i feel like you're setting yourself up for dehya 2.0 here

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

UHD posted:

i feel like you're setting yourself up for dehya 2.0 here

I don't really like Furina so this actually increases the odds she will be good. If she's trash I'd happily skip. I just know I'm going to have to roll on her for obligation due to her power level. Like the only characters I get super excited for are the tall ladies and well... :smith:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Archons sell the big bucks and can't be bad...when Zhong dropped he was bad and the sheer amount of whining that resulted actually got them to buff him lol

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I actually just rolled Candace earlier today after forgetting she ever existed, like her kit, wonder if she's worth using with Razor/Yelan/Bennett or I should just stick to XQ. Isn't really like I need more damage, even Razor/Yelan ultimates alone rip through bosses like they're nothing

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I think Candace's only use case is with an on field Yaoyao in a Nilou team.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
I'm a big Candace defender but even I admit that she isn't really worth using until you get whatever constellation it is that increases her burst duration. Probably only a little bit better than hydro mc before then.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hydro MC is fun in multiplayer. Still not nearly as good as XQ, but she's fun, if ineffective.

edit: pew pew pew pew pew

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they made one kind of bad 5* character and people get ptsd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also candace at c6 is basically a slightly worse c0 xingqiu, which means shes actually pretty good

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Damned with faint praise

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

c0 xingqiu is better than half the 5*s in the game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
endorph saying your character is fine is basically a death sentence. like there's just no coming back from that

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
I like Dehya.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

endorph saying your character is fine is basically a death sentence. like there's just no coming back from that
the only characters in the game id actually call complete trash are c0 sara, c0 amber without elegy, and c0 mika

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but then i use aggravate dori

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
This abyss can't be that hard if I'm getting 36* with a Mika overvape team. Not having any shielder/resistance to interruption feels awkward but this abyss gimmick is basically "no zhongli" so that's what you gotta do if you want the 40% buff.

For the other half I had Hu Tao / Nahida / Xingqiu / Shinobu which is an incredibly stupid team. Running hyperbloom with flex slot Hu Tao only makes sense for 12-1b where you can simultaneously trigger hyperbloom/burgeon and still get your reverse vapes in. And for 12-2b where you got lots of random elemental breacher shields to deal with, definitely want Hu Tao there. And for 12-3b where the boss has lots of cryo shields Hu Tao can deal with. It makes sense to me at least :shepface:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This game isn't hard enough for you to be sweating over the meta and min maxing anything. Especially now, when people know how characters and elements work and you can easily join co-op and get someone to carry you through everything but ascension, character/Archon quests and story missions.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

This game isn't hard enough for you to be sweating over the meta and min maxing anything. Especially now, when people know how characters and elements work and you can easily join co-op and get someone to carry you through everything but ascension, character/Archon quests and story missions.

But...how can I have fun if I know I'm playing sub-optimally? Wait, I know, you want all the best stats all to yourself!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Oblique Angle posted:

I like Dehya.

I regret not pulling her weapon, since I have no idea if/when it will ever come back. I pulled her on her banner because I was worried about never getting her. I have her C2 now.

Endorph posted:

the only characters in the game id actually call complete trash are c0 sara, c0 amber without elegy, and c0 mika

C0 mika is good because weapon speed up scales with his talent, and his burst heals off fielders for a good amount. Not as much as Jean, but pretty close, and you don't have to hang around in an area to to top off your on fielders.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

they made one kind of bad 5* character and people get ptsd

Yeah some people are convinced forever it seems that because one really popular character turned it pretty meh (I've got her at C1 so at least gonna try to use her for some things in Fontaine, especially if they have innate hydro infusion all the time) it means it's a destined pattern for every popular character, and while I get semi-ironic jokes and what not sometimes it can get a little tiresome to be the guaranteed take/joke. It's like people see patterns where there just aren't any for doomposting sake like how because some female Mondstadt characters were redesigned like 2 years ago (mostly effecting the Chinese app) it meant that it was guaranteed to forever be a pattern for Mihoyo character designs going forward and none of the characters were ever going to be allowed to have any sex appeal ever again in their costume designs for those who that sort of thing is very important too. This was also ironically the patch just before Shenhe came out and before characters like Yelan, Shinobu, Dehya, Candace, Nilou, Arlecchino (who btw is completely covered head to toe yet a good chunk of the community is enamored despite not really even having done anything yet but appear in trailers and snap her fingers) were introduced who all go against that notion of conservative costume design. This is discounting anything that's happened with the Honkai series since then as well

Doomposting is overrated and arbitrary anyway. Characters like Furina, Navia and Clorinde could each be role defining characters in their own rights and you'd still get people doomposting them just to go through the motions and confirm their own desires to have drama surrounding their releases.

Endorph posted:

I've recently discovered the true power of C6 Sara in allowing my C0 Raiden to get 100K Musou no Hitotachi strikes off with an R4 The Catch and while having solid artifacts sets it being far from perfect. A +60% Crit Damage to Electro is definitely nothing to sneeze at, but it took 3 rotations of Sara banners to finally get the C6 since she only ever appears with Raiden, and outside of that perk she doesn't really offer anything unique over other buffers, be it element specific or otherwise. IMO Shenhe is kind of underrated too as an Ayaka support. There's really no comparing Ayaka without Shenhe support to Ayaka with where she does like 3 to 4 times as much damage per hit after all buffs and debuffs are applied.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 17, 2023

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
If you build a C6 sara for ER/damage her ult can get really deadly. As a support she often steals the show when farming big bosses.

https://i.imgur.com/03EQuQI.mp4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

This was also ironically the patch just before Shenhe came out and before characters like Yelan, Shinobu, Dehya, Candace, Nilou, Arlecchino (who btw is completely covered head to toe yet a good chunk of the community is enamored despite not really even having done anything yet but appear in trailers and snap her fingers) were introduced who all go against that notion of conservative costume design. This is discounting anything that's happened with the Honkai series since then as well
a lot of those characters did get very minor changes during beta to cover them up a bit more to be clear. like dehyas shorts were a little shorter. it isnt a complete 180 in design or anything but we aren't going to get a modern character with an outfit like mona's

Kale
May 14, 2010

Endorph posted:

a lot of those characters did get very minor changes during beta to cover them up a bit more to be clear. like dehyas shorts were a little shorter. it isnt a complete 180 in design or anything but we aren't going to get a modern character with an outfit like mona's

I honestly didn't even notice, but then I'm not the type to get the measuring stick out on those sorts of things. We probably aren't getting another character design like Mona at least yet because there's not a whole lot of room for bodysuits and leotards in the remaining regions anyway and we're probably only getting a new character from each prior region like once a year from here on out. Maybe Snezhnaya or later down the road in Fontaine they'll add a ballerina character or something because ballet is such a strong tradition in Russia and France and that'd be another character wearing a leotard probably, but for now Fontaine clearly has a motif of fancy poofy upper class bourgeois outfits for much of it's cast. Natlan I expect to be a lot of characters in tribal clothes showing lots of skin for both genders in either case though for those that find the Fontaine motifs a little too elaborate and frilly. I'd sooner expect to see bodysuits from here on more in Star Rail the next time they do anything like that because space faring sci-fi and skintight pilot suits and uniforms are a staple of the genre.

Speaking of bourgeois, apparently they decided on Demoisselle for Ojou-Sama for how the two butler dudes refer to Navia in English, which to the English scripters credits, is probably about the closest they are going to get for some sort of equivalent to that term besides "young lady" and also fits the French theme of the nation. That's some clever localization thinking.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

It took me weeks to notice that when you're underwater, there's a little watery shimmer effect that follows your character around and obscures their hindquarters a little bit. Kinda funny. Though with the climbing animations and everything, their character models obviously already have to maintain their decency from any camera angle, so you'd have to wonder what the point is.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Pretty significant leak dump today in the usual places including a couple character models. Those who don't like being spoiled on upcoming stuff be vigilant as there's no guarantee clout chasing content creators aren't going to be commenting casually on it on social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
And more completely useless furina "leaks". Whatever they're doing in CB to obscure her mechanics they're doing a good job!