Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Platystemon posted:

You can’t fool me.

That’s too short for a proper German word. Must be Swamp German.

wir sagen auch Fahrradabstellplatz, Fahrradunterstand, Velounterstand, Fahrradraum, und manchmal Fahrradbox...but radhaus is easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Platystemon posted:

I bought and installed a white saddle.

This was probably a mistake.

i cannot for the life of me figure out what this means. are you implying that you're going to poo poo on it? has my brain just totally rotted?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Platystemon posted:

I bought and installed a white saddle.

This was probably a mistake.

Are there any particularly hairy high speed descents in your area

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i cannot for the life of me figure out what this means.

I immediately got black smudges on it because I had just handled the dusty and possibly slightly greasy seat post and the clamp. They wiped off with alcohol, but I sense It’s going to be a recurring issue. At least the chain is waxed and the bike has disc brakes, so there’s no aluminum oxide from brake tracks.

Road dust is unavoidable though.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

has my brain just totally rotted?

It’s a safe assumption on this website.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

ilkhan posted:

Goongrats! How was it?

pain, suffering, but pretty views. The road there through petrolia is super pretty. I felt under biked for the climbs on my 1x steelie gravel bike, everyone else brought fancy carbon road bikes for the most part. But my fat rear end wtb horizon tires were perfect for the descents, which were extremely rough and technical. The roadies were creeping down the mountains trying not to die, I was full speed just riding over the potholes whooping and hollering

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

abraham linksys posted:

ok, so, bike fit question: I thought the Gorilla Monsoon was a little bit large (it's the 58cm frame), and after googling, it does seem like while I'd probably be fine with 58cm on a lot of other frames, All City tends to run a bit large. I'm 5'11" with about a 32" inseam, and while I can stand over the top tube, it wasn't with a lot of room, so it does have me a bit concerned

if the seat height feels ok, and if the stem can be brought in more, what else should I be watching out for on a potentially-too-large bike?

maybe this is enough I should go ahead and give up the dream, at least at this price :negative:

A 58 is for people about 6’2”+, unless you have really freakish proportions. The bike is far too big for you, maybe 2 sizes. That bike is only fractionally shorter than my road bike and I’m 6’5”.

Re mechanical disc brakes. I don’t see the upside, they’re not good at all vs hydraulic ones. If there are options in your price range with hydraulics go that route, they’re much better and upgrading to them later is not cheap as you have to replace the brifters.

For frames, steel is fine, rugged, repairable etc. But at a price normally higher than aluminium, unless you have a specific reason to need it I don’t see the point when it’s significantly heavier, and when the cost may mean compromising on groupset / brakes.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Man, most 6'2" folks I know are on at least 60cm frames.
That said, total height is pretty worthless. You'd be better off using the inseam measurement shown in the OP of the commuting thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
I’m 6’ and ride a 58 with my gravel bike, but I think that’s really because it depends on the frame and it’s geo and how it’s sized
A decent shop can approximate the fit and tell you whether it’s just too big or small but lots of shops are kinda more willing to just “make it work” so they can move a bike

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

bike insights is a good website for comparing frame sizes between different bikes

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I am super split.

I was dead set on waiting for a cannondale supersix evo 2 in deep teal. The price point was right and I loved the tacky color.

I went to my local shop to try out the evo 1 for sizing. They offered me it at 800 bucks less than the 2 to take the one in shop.

I'm really split - both look great (but I still prefer the 2). Anyone have any experience Force vs ultegra electronic? The only other real difference are the wheels from what I see.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A MIRACLE posted:

bike insights is a good website for comparing frame sizes between different bikes

Someone (LLH I think) recommended another one but it’s already shipped from my mind.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kimbo305 posted:

Someone (LLH I think) recommended another one but it’s already shipped from my mind.

geometrygeeks.bike

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
54cm Surly Straggler is on the way to the shop Wednesday 🙏

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Any excuse to plus the far superior geo site of https://www.bike-stats.de/en/ that lets you plug in handlebars, stems, etc to also compare
I find bike insights adequate since I’m confident in the stem adjustment range and I know what kind of bars I like.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

Re mechanical disc brakes. I don’t see the upside, they’re not good at all vs hydraulic ones. If there are options in your price range with hydraulics go that route, they’re much better and upgrading to them later is not cheap as you have to replace the brifters.

For frames, steel is fine, rugged, repairable etc. But at a price normally higher than aluminium, unless you have a specific reason to need it I don’t see the point when it’s significantly heavier, and when the cost may mean compromising on groupset / brakes.

I dunno, I feel like an outlier itt but I fall in line with Grant Peterson's and Path Less Pedaled perspectives on brakes and other bike components. Unless you're a professional or very serious amateur rider, Hydraulics, electronic shifting, all of these complicated proprietary bike components with a dizzying array of bespoke seals and parts that will be out of production in a few years(with an eventual fall off in spare part availability), they're neat and fun but they're not practical or necessary for a great ride on a good frame with simple components that will be as easy to fix 15 years from now as it is today.

I'm 280lbs and my 40 year old centerpull rim brakes can brake just fine, even downhill on gravel trails. Newer rim and mechanical disk brakes are even better than the ancient ones I've got. You can walk into any bike shop or co-op in the world and buy new housing and brake/shifter cables off the shelf if you have an issue on the road/trail, you can't say the same for hydraulics, especially when they get to be 5-10+ years out of their product cycle. I've done all sorts of work on brakes on my vehicles and even they're a pain in the rear end to deal with, even with a significantly more developed supply chain then for bicycle hydraulics. I dunno. Unless I was doing challenging MTB'ing or alpine racing/touring, I personally don't think the juice is worth the squeeze :shrug:

E:

abraham linksys posted:

54cm Surly Straggler is on the way to the shop Wednesday 🙏

Congrats! That blue paint scheme is :swoon: , very nice choice!

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 17, 2023

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I feel like the thread apologist for mech discs but they’re perfectly fine and good as long as they’re dual piston. They are very simple and easy to fix and maintain with few to none special parts or tools.

Are hydros better? Yes. Does it often matter? Not really.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mederlock posted:

Congrats! That blue paint scheme is :swoon: , very nice choice!

i ended up getting black because i'm impatient and the blue was a longer time to ship :negative: (but also i'm terrible at keeping my bike clean)

my long term dream is to some day move to an apartment that's large enough for two full-size bikes, and then i'm going to get the most obnoxiously colorful single speed imaginable as a beater

i also kinda hate the surly branding on both but apparently you can remove them easily: https://surlybikes.com/info_hole/spew/removing_and_applying_decals_on_our_frames

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 17, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

i ended up getting black because i'm impatient and the blue was a longer time to ship :negative: (but also i'm terrible at keeping my bike clean)

my long term dream is to some day move to an apartment that's large enough for two full-size bikes, and then i'm going to get the most obnoxiously colorful single speed imaginable as a beater

This is actually a good thing because it prevents us from having identical bikes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Slavvy posted:

This is actually a good thing because it prevents us from having identical bikes

honestly, there's like 3 people with surly stragglers in the local bikepacking community i've found myself (aspirationally) in, and i wouldn't be surprised if one of them has the blue one. if any of them have the mint one from 2015 i'll be really jealous

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Really miss my LHT (stolen). The new ones don’t really do it for me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I made it up a hill that was pretty challenging (well, for me!). i tried to shift to an easier gear and realized there weren't any more left! when I got the top I immediately got off the bike and laid down on the ground, and a woman who had watched my very slow ascent stopped to ask me if I needed an ambulance

bicievino posted:

Man, most 6'2" folks I know are on at least 60cm frames.
That said, total height is pretty worthless. You'd be better off using the inseam measurement shown in the OP of the commuting thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

6'2" here and I have a 56 cm. but it's a salsa gravel bike and I think it has uncommon geometry

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

brand engager posted:

I saw there's an update for the x40 edges, did they fix the sensor issues?

Started using it as the main device again for a few weeks and it seems like they fixed it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I made it up a hill that was pretty challenging (well, for me!). i tried to shift to an easier gear and realized there weren't any more left! when I got the top I immediately got off the bike and laid down on the ground, and a woman who had watched my very slow ascent stopped to ask me if I needed an ambulance

Another cycling success story

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a great feeling when I’m like “this hill is kicking my rear end today… oh I’m climbing it in a higher gear”.

And then a rider on a single‐gear bike blows past like it’s nothing. :negative:

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Mechanical disc brakes might be fine if you live somewhere without much elevation or are just doing smooth gravel but my god they’re awful for actual in the mountains technical riding.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
WOO-HOO!!!!!1 MOONLIGHT RAMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 More like, Moonlight Cancelled.

There we are, 11 PM, waiting to start. The announcer, on loan from KSHE 95, says that we have to wait while they make sure the route is safe. That kept happening until 11:40, when the ride was officially cancelled. Long story short, the organizers (not Trailnet) use a private security firm to set up barricades and keep motorists off the closed streets. Up until around 10:30, they said they had it under control. When the organizers went to verify that the route was safe, they found out that that was a lie. The security firm didn't have the necessary staff in place, so drivers were moving barricades, and... yeah. The route requires closed streets, since as planned, you're going the wrong way in a few spots. Some brave people did do the route, but I didn't because 1) my wife couldn't do it, since she was on a back-up bike and wouldn't be able to keep up and deal with traffic; and 2) I'm just not familiar enough with downtown St. Louis to wing it should I get separated from the folks who did know what they were doing.

That said....

... we still had a loving blast at what ended up being a bicycle-themed party. We were in The Grove, for one thing. If you know, you know. And, my wife and I ended up being finalists in the Light My Ride contest, although I'm pretty sure we came in last or second-to-last. Still, finalists! They loved our bikes, and her helmet with the lit-up butterfly halo was a huge hit. As we rode up and down the street, we both got lots of complements, conversations, and pictures. More than a few people were happy that we even lit ourselves up, and that we'd clearly worked hard to look fabulous for this one little event.

It really makes me want to organize a similar kind of ride in my own town. Now, my town is stupid-hilly, but nearby towns are much more flat, which is good for this kind of event. And there's no legal reason we can't light up our bikes and ride around late at night, but it's nice to have food and drink vendors.

So... basically, this is the cycling equivalent of edging. But still... edging! It's a thing! And, it's almost super-fun.

Cycling is great.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

actionjackson posted:

:bisonyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I did a proper long ride for the first time in months yesterday and the sorest part of me is...my arms? I think I really locked up in the last couple of hours just trying to get home, the area on the inside of my elbows is real sore, doesn't usually happen

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mederlock posted:

You don't really need hydraulics except for downtown MTB'ing or doing road biking in mountainous areas with really long declines. They're kind of a pain in the rear end too. A good cable disc brake has enough mechanical advantage to lock up your wheel in general road/gravel use
On the other hand gently caress cable brakes of any kind. The only cable brakes left in our house are on the 6YO bike and it's because no one makes short reach hydro rim brakes. (hs11 with a different lever doesn't count).

actionjackson posted:

:sickos:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 18, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Recs for flats for road biking? Don't really see the appeal for clipless at the moment especially given having to take city streets to get to / from any trails nearby. Been looking at Chester Race Face but open to suggestions.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I found a local guy that does bike fits and got one last Tuesday.

Felt a little weird to ride it after, until Sunday. Did 30 miles and my arms and wrists weren't sore. My feet never got numb. It was amazing.

If you're new and debating it, it was money very very well spent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some of the Chester “knockoffs” are better than the Chester itself because they don’t have a pronounced hump for the spindle.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Mederlock posted:

You don't really need hydraulics except for downtown MTB'ing or doing road biking in mountainous areas with really long declines. They're kind of a pain in the rear end too. A good cable disc brake has enough mechanical advantage to lock up your wheel in general road/gravel use

Heh, ask me how I felt in 2019 after riding around on a randonneur bike with cables and mechanical shifting. Di2 and Hydro has been a godsend for those with nerve damage from long distance rides. Regardless of what Path Less Pedaled guy says (and he bases his entire personality seemingly off of a Jan Heine fanboy), advancements in technology like DI2 and Hydro help in situations where you're going long.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shadowhand00 posted:

Heh, ask me how I felt in 2019 after riding around on a randonneur bike with cables and mechanical shifting. Di2 and Hydro has been a godsend for those with nerve damage from long distance rides. Regardless of what Path Less Pedaled guy says (and he bases his entire personality seemingly off of a Jan Heine fanboy), advancements in technology like DI2 and Hydro help in situations where you're going long.

Yes, if you're riding so much that you've developed permanent nerve damage from long distance cycling, then you certainly fall in the very serious cyclist category. You're also in maybe the top 5% of people riding in terms of mileage/year and it's probably a big part of your life. So yeah, I agree 100% or someone like that, the fancy toys and every practicable ergonomic/performance improvement would make sense to invest in.

I'm just saying that someone buying their first bike doesn't need to drop a great many :10bux: for stuff like electronic shifting or hydraulics that will eventually be a maintenance nightmare compared to simpler, functional alternatives.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You’re being weird about “maintenance nightmares” for someone who admittedly doesn’t use those things

E: honestly just saying you should maybe stop speaking authoritatively about this with big sweeping statements that belie a certain bias and smugness

Ride what you like. Let other people ride what they like

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

You’re being weird about “maintenance nightmares” for someone who admittedly doesn’t use those things

E: honestly just saying you should maybe stop speaking authoritatively about this with big sweeping statements that belie a certain bias and smugness

Hydraulics means brakes, right? I have those. Three years in no maintenance nightmares. When do they start?

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

It's not too late - throw out your bike and get one with mechanical brakes NOW!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I definitely have a bias towards mechanical simplicity, yeah. It's nothing to be smug about, it's just a different set of priorities. Nothing I've said about hydraulics vs mechanical is any less sweeping than other posters itt saying that hydraulics are 100% the way to go, no questions asked. I'm just stating the counterfactual, that for many people mechanical brakes and shifting are Just Fine, Actually.

Genuine question, do folks think that those electronic shifter batteries are going to last more than 10 years and still be easy to buy then? Are the electronics going to hold up better or worse than a cable actuated derailleur when subjected to a decade or more of road grit, water, salt, etc.?

Or, looking at the brakes. Here's the parts diagram for a hydraulic vs mechanical brake system. Which one is going to be easier to service down the road?

I've tried them out, they're definitely nice. I don't disparage folks who put the money into them, I just don't necessarily agree that it should be the default recommendation. It's okay to agree to disagree

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Just say “I don’t like this because I don’t know how to maintain it and or confuses me!” And be cool with the fact that it isn’t a true statement for everyone. You can be new to bikes and not start at the velocipede for fear of complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Mederlock posted:

I definitely have a bias towards mechanical simplicity, yeah. It's nothing to be smug about, it's just a different set of priorities. Nothing I've said about hydraulics vs mechanical is any less sweeping than other posters itt saying that hydraulics are 100% the way to go, no questions asked. I'm just stating the counterfactual, that for many people mechanical brakes and shifting are Just Fine, Actually.

I think you're more than just stating a counterfactual when you're using loaded language like "maintenance nightmare" and stuff like that.

quote:

Genuine question, do folks think that those electronic shifter batteries are going to last more than 10 years and still be easy to buy then? Are the electronics going to hold up better or worse than a cable actuated derailleur when subjected to a decade or more of road grit, water, salt, etc.?

I think it depends entirely on the kind of person and what they're riding and what they like to ride and what their interests are. There are a whole lot of people who may not ride eletronic stuff but would be interested in or planning on upgrading their stuff after 10 years. Not everyone is totally into the "I'm going to have this exact bike and all its parts for the next 10+ years"

For what it's worth, my experience is that di2 shifting is better and more enjoyable in every way than mech shifting on a road/gravel bike and I think issues I run into with it are going to be far more related to the mechanical pivot points on the derailleurs having issues rather than the motors or battery. That said, it's also legitimately a price thing that will not make sense for everyone and I am lucky to have had the means at the time to get it. I don't think people are exactly "missing out" or getting bad stuff if they have mech shifting, it all still works amazingly well and is a joy to ride most of the time.
I also have mech shifting on my mountain bikes and while it works very well it is still not as good as the electronic shifting on my gravel bike. In my opinion.

quote:

Or, looking at the brakes. Here's the parts diagram for a hydraulic vs mechanical brake system. Which one is going to be easier to service down the road?

I've tried them out, they're definitely nice. I don't disparage folks who put the money into them, I just don't necessarily agree that it should be the default recommendation. It's okay to agree to disagree

parts diagram feels silly to use as some kind of argument. Lotta that stuff is just like mounting brackets and the details of how the hoses attach that after they're attached you don't need to touch them again unless you're going to move the brakes to another bike. Just like all those nuts and bolts to hold the pads to the caliper arms on the center pull brakes there look intimidating if we're going by "number of parts and complication" .
Hydro brakes require some specific tools and knowledge but if you're enough of a mechanic to adjust your own shifting and install and adjust V brakes you can probably figure it out. It's overall a pretty simple system.
If I was going to make the argument I'd just acknowledge that yeah it's more likely you might get a leaky piston that requires replacing a caliper than an issue with your v-brake that requires it being replaced. It's not quite as long lasting and bombproof.

But it is 100% an upgrade in terms of performance so if you're looking for that kind of thing then yes they're worth it.

Ultimately it comes down to what are you looking for in a bike, what do you want to do with it, what's your budget, etc.
A simple to maintain "forever" bike and parts is something some people want and enjoy and may find fits their budget better. Others may want something that performs better at the possible expense of cost and longevity (but still most of this poo poo lasts a long rear end time)

I dont' think it's controversial at all to say that hydro disks brakes are a performance improvement over V rim brakes. It's arguable whether someone might like electronic shifting over mech. But if you're happy with V brakes and think spending the extra on hyrdo isn't worth it then that's also perfectly fine