Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

reality_groove posted:

New things:

Grizzly crime drama The Tower S2 starts on ITV and Irish gothic thriller The Woman in the Wall is on BBC One.

I've been talking to some of my extended Irish family this week and now I have a new intrusive thought

"Ah ma, there's a woman after bein in the wall now!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Taear posted:

I'd love to know how many people are watching this.
Like, I work for Sky and I have no idea, it just seems to have nobody talking about it at all

I assume Phill Jupitus is still captaining one team despite giving the impression of being personally affronted that he should be asked questions about popular music for about fifteen years

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Taear posted:

I'd love to know how many people are watching this.
Like, I work for Sky and I have no idea, it just seems to have nobody talking about it at all

Ha, I also work for Sky. I think the answer, as with many of Sky's series is "not many, but enough"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

reality_groove posted:

Ha, I also work for Sky. I think the answer, as with many of Sky's series is "not many, but enough"

Like I know so many people who are HUGE Greg Davies fans and still nobody I know watches, it feels like I'm in/around the ideal demographic

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

reality_groove posted:

New things:

Starstruck Season 3 just started on BBC Three.

Finished watching this today. It's great, but it's odd that it basically abandons the premise of the show entirely. I always thought the romance was kind of drab anyway, and the actor isn't charismatic enough to actually pull off the level of fame the show implies he has but I guess the creators agree?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Taear posted:

Like I know so many people who are HUGE Greg Davies fans and still nobody I know watches, it feels like I'm in/around the ideal demographic

To be fair this might be the first I’ve heard of (a) a Buzzcocks revival, (b) Greg Davies is hosting, (c) it’s on Sky. Either that or it’s completely fallen off my radar so much I’ve forgotten it existed at all.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I've got a series link on for Buzzcocks, its very ok and I'll probably watch it at some point, or let 6 of them record and delete them all at once.

It's one of those shows that should be better, I like most of the people involved but yeah, almost never hear anything about it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

To be fair this might be the first I’ve heard of (a) a Buzzcocks revival, (b) Greg Davies is hosting, (c) it’s on Sky. Either that or it’s completely fallen off my radar so much I’ve forgotten it existed at all.

I feel like it got posted in here when it first started, but that's about it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's not savage enough, it's a stale format, and we're all too old for popular music.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

goatface posted:

It's not savage enough, it's a stale format, and we're all too old for popular music.

Na popular music doesn't work like that any more
If anything it would be hard to make because music is so compartmentalised you'd have to focus on either the ultra famous Taylor Swift level people or things from the 80s/90s/00s because of how much it's all fractured

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

goatface posted:

Was Mark Lamarr genuinely the grumpiest comedy quiz show host to have ever hosted a show? He seemed to be genuinely sick of it but still cling on like a limpet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Was Mark Lamarr genuinely the grumpiest comedy quiz show host to have ever hosted a show? He seemed to be genuinely sick of it but still cling on like a limpet.

The end of his run was the loving absolute worst, I hated how he constantly hosed up the game. It was like playing a board game with one person who is absolutely not into it but refuses to go do something else
And it bothers me I've been on the forums long enough to have been able to post that just before he left as well

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

Na popular music doesn't work like that any more
If anything it would be hard to make because music is so compartmentalised you'd have to focus on either the ultra famous Taylor Swift level people or things from the 80s/90s/00s because of how much it's all fractured

This is sort of a problem, since most of the panel don't have the the sort of all encompassing music knowledge you'd need to answer a lot of the questions. Jamali in particular quite often has no idea what anyone's talking about.

That's not always a bad thing mind since it usually results in good comedy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hell, it wasn’t until last week that I found out that Sky One hasn’t existed for years now either.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hell, it wasn’t until last week that I found out that Sky One hasn’t existed for years now either.

Still earlier than I heard the news.

Rest In Piss Sky One

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's funny they did a kinda "whoa sky one is great, people should watch it" bit for a year or so
Then just smashed it up

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taear posted:

It's funny they did a kinda "whoa sky one is great, people should watch it" bit for a year or so
Then just smashed it up

Max is pretty much the exact same thing tbh

Except it doesn't show the first season of Yugioh on Saturday mornings anymore. So is inherently pointless.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CITV closed down for the final time tonight at 9pm. :smith:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The_Doctor posted:

CITV closed down for the final time tonight at 9pm. :smith:

Aw!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well drat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Where will I go for my fix of Doc Croc and the rest of the Round the Bend gang now?!

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Make knightmare again, you loving cowards.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Tots TV 4eva

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Taear posted:

The end of his run was the loving absolute worst, I hated how he constantly hosed up the game. It was like playing a board game with one person who is absolutely not into it but refuses to go do something else
And it bothers me I've been on the forums long enough to have been able to post that just before he left as well

Yeah I came to have a real dislike of Lamarr by the end (even though that "shut the gently caress up Ross" clip is an all-timer) and looking back now both he and Amstell were far meaner than they needed to be. Sometimes it came in handy when you had a real prick on the show but otherwise it felt mean for the sake of it.

Like I'm not going to defend Preston of the loving Ordinary Boys but I think I would have walked off too. Both hosts made their unhappiness with doing the show everyone else's problem.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Amstell was funny though. Brutal, but quicker and funnier than everyone else on that show, and thats what made it. But I can't imagine a 2023 Buzzcocks being any good. I struggle to think of any panel shows now that would be worth watching because the format has been used so much that I don't know what else you can do with it.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Amstell ripping into drunk Bonnie Tyler was an all time classic tv moment.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

To defend 2023 Buzzcocks slightly, they're not banking on Greg being an acerbic host and they don't book guests that are going to be controversial. The show is written around Greg's humour so the is often the butt of the joke in that he is an out of touch middle aged man hosting a music quiz. He has good rapport with Noel and Jamali and they keep the first half of the show fresh enough even if they still resort to Intros and Identity Parade towards the end.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I could have sworn they were rebooking guests for the identity parade, as I'd seen Manda-Rin on.

And of course there's someone cataloguing and commenting on every identity parade.
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Iai/every_artist_that_has_ever_appeared_in_the_identity_parade_of_never_mind_the_buzzcocks/6/

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
New Buzzcocks as previously intimated is absolutely fine. Greg Davies is gold and automatically elevates anything he's involved with, and this is no exception. There is little to no reason for DMC or Fielding to be involved, let Jamali Maddox be a permanent captain instead of this weird permanent guest thing they're doing then find some equally chaotic comedian or music figure to be the captain for the other team.

And to go against the grain, panel shows for me peaked with early oughts Buzzcocks at the tailend of Lamarr's time hosting leading into Amstell's earlier episodes, the anarchy of the later Lamarr episodes is some of the funniest material the BBC has ever put to film and I don't think it's possible to match that kind of energy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Red is Dead posted:

With Limmy hosting as Falconhoof.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Whatever happened to that rumoured Falconhoof spin off?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bogmonster posted:

Whatever happened to that rumoured Falconhoof spin off?

Limmy does Twitch now and being like...planned (not sure how else to word it) was killing him

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Red is Dead posted:

They have, it's called Your Home Made Perfect

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

EL BROMANCE posted:

Where will I go for my fix of Doc Croc and the rest of the Round the Bend gang now?!

I've put them all up on YouTube

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha awesome! I remembering looking a bunch of years ago and only finding an episode or two. You’ve done a good service.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can't believe I only just found out that there's a CBeebies HD. All these years I could have been watching Octonauts in stunning 1080p... God drat IT :negative:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I find myself disappointed that the Russell Brand expose was just about him and nobody else after what they originally said

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Taear posted:

I find myself disappointed that the Russell Brand expose was just about him and nobody else after what they originally said

I personally don't understand his post-loving with Manuel on the radio career come existence.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was cancelled before it was cool, so he pivoted into the griftosphere and set himself up as a leading peddler of conspiracy bullshit for the easily led.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Taear posted:

Rumours are one of the people named in the other show used their position of influence to get it canned