Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I wonder how starting over a new game and mods Interact.

It would be nice if you could use an existing save and start over and the mods wouldn't break the game in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
in starfield? depends on the mod. usually shouldnt have problems unless you're removing mods that added items or other poo poo.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just remembered that Assassins Creed: Valhalla had historicly accurate, beatless, rap battles. It was a good way to make money.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
may i see one

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

corona familiar posted:

:mitt: pronouns detected

duh, thats in english. but yeah what i actually meant was that finnish doesnt have gendered pronouns

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cuttlefush posted:

may i see one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyIfIA4wQMc&t=51s

Here you can watch them all. They are ... eh

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
guh

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cuttlefush posted:

so i got curious and opened the finn's swf file (why the gently caress is this used for UI poo poo). looks like they just blanked the shapes/text for pronouns in the ui and left all the scripts for it untouched so lol.

and uh, it looks like there were either originally supposed to be a couple other traits. im sure they were bethesda's because they have icons for them too that are just like all the other trait icons

monogamous but poly. so what, he's into cuckolding?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Risutora posted:

duh, thats in english. but yeah what i actually meant was that finnish doesnt have gendered pronouns

dumb joke :shobon:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Imagine reading all 4 lines for rhymes, hater content, and lyricism in that waaaaaaay too long time limit. It was a treat to find in every settlement,

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KirbyKhan posted:

Imagine reading all 4 lines for rhymes, hater content, and lyricism in that waaaaaaay too long time limit. It was a treat to find in every settlement,

black flag sea shanties to that

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

yea i know, so was mine

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
that's just boring insult sword fighting

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

>lets create a system that allows us to infinitely generate simple quests within a few bounds and constraints.
>lets create a bleedout state or a way to stun characters outright without killing them.
>lets not use it to create a cool working bounty system.

smh, dunno what to tell you. They are happy letting modders do it for them, offering them a job and then letting them go somewhere else in the industry. Absolute :effort: studio.

Is there even a way to use non-lethal weapons? They don't seem to work half the time and you don't get XP or bounties for using them, let alone more.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

bethesda has the problem of adding too many systems and too little bespoke content to their games. Very paradoxbrained.
thing is - that colony ship was bespoke content. someone put a lot of effort into making it. they just didn't put any effort into the quest it features in. making something you're then barely going to use feels like a massive waste of production time.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I got started on paradise killer the other night and I'm also gonna check out the definitive edition changes to Lisa. knocking out some of my smaller fare while I'm between long haul games

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

R. Mute posted:

thing is - that colony ship was bespoke content. someone put a lot of effort into making it. they just didn't put any effort into the quest it features in. making something you're then barely going to use feels like a massive waste of production time.

presumably they had something more involved planned for it and cut it for whatever reason. assets got created so they might as well use it. game dev hard.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

I got started on paradise killer the other night and I'm also gonna check out the definitive edition changes to Lisa. knocking out some of my smaller fare while I'm between long haul games

Its a fun mystery and the cyoa ending is constructed so well

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The bespoke content is the only good part of the game too, the proceduraly generated mechanics are tedious and boring and only make the whole game worse.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Is Vic 3 cool yet? Played at launch and it seemed fine but didn't hook me like Vic 2 for some reason

its not quite yet but it's getting there

they basically released the game a year and a half early and are fixing/adding everything it needs after the fact

they just added local price variations for internal markets, changed a bunch of mechanics

the next patch will completely redo combat, adds road/rail/river pathing and deeper supply mechanics to troops, and around the start of next year you'll be able to invest in your puppet states and direct their industry and policy and stuff and it should be good by then i think

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
What YouTuber is a good one to learn Vicky3?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

uber_stoat posted:

presumably they had something more involved planned for it and cut it for whatever reason. assets got created so they might as well use it. game dev hard.

The pioneer museum planet feels like that as well.

Come to think of it, there are a few areas like that, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Do any come to mind?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KirbyKhan posted:

What YouTuber is a good one to learn Vicky3?

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Organic Lube User posted:

I have to play Stellaris on my old man PS4 on my 70" tv because I am an old man with old eyes and poo poo glasses.
:corsair:

I played Stellaris on PS4 for a while and it's still amazing to me how they were able to port the UI over for the dualshocks

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sometimes when I'm exploring the galaxy my explorer buddy Barrett says "I got something for you" then I turn around and he is already directly in my face. I open dialog with him and he hands me a salami and I say "Thanks!"

It is so loving stupid I love it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Oh it's good to know that the meta is still similar to launch.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's credits on Chained Echoes, think I did everything except a few rewards board slots. Rather easy endgame if you understand that there is only one truly important stat in any game with a turn order, but I also played on normal settings and I can confirm that fiendish difficulty is indeed an option for any who want it. Even on normal there were more than a few fights that were really hard and required getting out of my comfort zone because it subverts stuff that works everywhere else.

10/10, and not only that, the sort of 10/10 that has probably ruined the whole genre for me. It introduces lots of different and interesting stuff and all of it knocks it out of the park while also eliminating any grind at all, making it as high speed, low drag as a huge JRPG with a big and twisting story can be. It's also on GamePass but is perfect on the Switch. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Now onto Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, which appears to be some sort of Stardew Beat'em Up where it's just one crop with a realism mod installed. I got the physical because it was cheapest and it's the only Switch game I've ever bought that included a little booklet with some art and an introduction to the setting and controls.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

KirbyKhan posted:

Sometimes when I'm exploring the galaxy my explorer buddy Barrett says "I got something for you" then I turn around and he is already directly in my face. I open dialog with him and he hands me a salami and I say "Thanks!"

it's so comical. for some reason the dialogue zoom also just pops a light into existance for the speaker. hoping someone can make a kubrick stare dutch angle backlit kinda thing mod so everyone looks even more unhinged

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The light is obviously so you don't get weird hosed up shadows making them look like they're trying to tell a ghost story or something.

Also apparently why all the space helmets have built in lights shinning right in everyone's face all the time.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
but like a quarter of the dialogue is specifically to tell you ghost stories or something

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I dunno man, I just don't talk to those characters.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
btw Lies of P got better again, they actually made the Voice in your Head shut up for the most part

dunno why they needed to quirk it up anyway, but combined with the chunky combat and massive customization the game is good again

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

KirbyKhan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqC64HskLDY

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

KirbyKhan posted:

The first time that happened to me it was all dramaticized and poo poo and it was a loving ham sandwich with a bite already taken out of it.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

RandomBlue posted:

The first time that happened to me it was all dramaticized and poo poo and it was a loving ham sandwich with a bite already taken out of it.

scratch kept doign this to me too

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw Lies of P got better again, they actually made the Voice in your Head shut up for the most part

dunno why they needed to quirk it up anyway, but combined with the chunky combat and massive customization the game is good again

How much of the Bloodbourne itch does it scratch?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

That's credits on Chained Echoes, think I did everything except a few rewards board slots. Rather easy endgame if you understand that there is only one truly important stat in any game with a turn order, but I also played on normal settings and I can confirm that fiendish difficulty is indeed an option for any who want it. Even on normal there were more than a few fights that were really hard and required getting out of my comfort zone because it subverts stuff that works everywhere else.

10/10, and not only that, the sort of 10/10 that has probably ruined the whole genre for me. It introduces lots of different and interesting stuff and all of it knocks it out of the park while also eliminating any grind at all, making it as high speed, low drag as a huge JRPG with a big and twisting story can be. It's also on GamePass but is perfect on the Switch. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Now onto Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin, which appears to be some sort of Stardew Beat'em Up where it's just one crop with a realism mod installed. I got the physical because it was cheapest and it's the only Switch game I've ever bought that included a little booklet with some art and an introduction to the setting and controls.

Well now I gotta actually work to play Chained Echoes and Sea of Stars. Dangit.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Well now I gotta actually work to play Chained Echoes and Sea of Stars. Dangit.

It's funny because I only picked up CE because I was looking forward to Sea of Stars only to discover it's got the Mario RPG thing where every single little thing is a QTE which I know from experience is too much for me to look past. Luckily they're both on GamePass! CE is definitely not standard combat but avoids the engagement peril with the Overdrive bar, which basically is the way of balancing the fact that you always have full mana going into every fight and you're mostly going to be using skills. You want to stay in the middle, and to do so means you have to keep thinking and do things you wouldn't normally like swap, defend, use items, or extend buffs or take a turn to steal because that's the move that will lower instead of increase the bar this turn. Swapping itself is part of the combat because changing the linked character doesn't take a turn and the one you swapped out keeps their buffs where they were at, you've effectively got twice as many options per turn once you figure it out.

It works shockingly well, especially since you're in and out of combat in a flash which ties into traversal never feeling like a slog because your characters move everywhere in a dead sprint at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's the first JRPG I've ever played where getting credits with an almost 100% completion didn't stop me from wanting to spin it back up again and go with a completely different party composition, which is saying something. Forcing a bit of a break tho.

Oh and it's a single dev project which is incredible to think about, except the soundtrack which was another guy and is probably the best OST for a game I've ever heard.