Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Deadite posted:

Dang when did Dredd get added to Netflix? There goes my afternoon

This thread made it happen, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Glottis posted:

It was my first thought.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

RCarr posted:

I’ve never watched any anime besides DBZ when I was 12 years old, but I started One Piece during my recent COVID quarantine and it’s entertaining enough to keep watching.

It’s not a masterpiece by any means but it’s silly and fun.

Exactly. It's not like the plots are gripping or intricate, the acting isn't going to win awards, but it's a very colorful romp that wears its heart on its sleeve. I get the frustration when people resort to vague descriptions like "it's fun" but ... it's just fun.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
all i can say to the people who're watching the 300,000 episodes of one piece currently out is Thank You For Your Service

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For what

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Glottis posted:

Yep as soon as I bought that $5 Amazon Prime Video UHD version. Oh well still worth it.

Or so I hear... haven't watched it yet

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Wrong thread, oops.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 14, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nonathlon posted:

Exactly. It's not like the plots are gripping or intricate, the acting isn't going to win awards, but it's a very colorful romp that wears its heart on its sleeve. I get the frustration when people resort to vague descriptions like "it's fun" but ... it's just fun.

I was trying to figure out why One Piece succeeded so well at what it was trying to do. It at least doesn't seem to feel like it's made by committee. Or if so, everyone was on the same page.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm having a hard time accepting that this is the final season of Reservation Dogs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

withak posted:

Reservation Dogs continues to hit it out of the park.

That ending with Kenny, goddam so good. I'm simultaneously wrecked that it's ending and super happy that it's been great from start to finish. Get to avoid the Rez Dogs going to Ireland to save Cheese's kidnapped baby

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm getting concerned that we aren't going to get an episode about White Steve.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Theater Camp was cute

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
I have kind of an odd request! So my in-laws were over this week, and my MiL was watching some Chinese dramas on Netflix(Word of Honor to be exact) and I got kind of sucked into it lmao. I was wondering what some of the "good" ones were, as I work overnights at home and always love something that I can just throw on and watch for hours. Appreciate any of the recs!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Dungeons and Dragons movie is fun. Not amazing or anything but just all around enjoyable. Kind of nice for a fantasy thing to just be "goin on an adventure" instead of some broad, sweeping epic.

I do think it could have used a bit more restraint though. The jokes were generally pretty funny, but it feels like every line has to be a quip or zinger for the first half of the movie. In the second half it balances the comedy and adventure stuff a little better imo.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think I had the opposite reaction where I liked the comedy, but the more pure adventure bits did absolutely nothing for me. Less adventure and just a straight comedy would have worked better for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We watched Dial of Destiny last night. I went in with rock bottom expectations, but honestly the movie was a hell of a lot of fun. The de-aged Harrison section at the beginning worked well I thought, it didn't seem as jarring as it was in The Irishman. It also featured the most physically imposing dude I've seen on screen since The Mountain in GoT. Dude is 7'2", built like a cartoon, and I couldn't stop giggling every time he bulldozed his way through a scene.

Movie definitely washed the bad taste of Crystal Skull out of my mouth, it's miles better than that turd.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

We watched Dial of Destiny last night. I went in with rock bottom expectations, but honestly the movie was a hell of a lot of fun. The de-aged Harrison section at the beginning worked well I thought, it didn't seem as jarring as it was in The Irishman. It also featured the most physically imposing dude I've seen on screen since The Mountain in GoT. Dude is 7'2", built like a cartoon, and I couldn't stop giggling every time he bulldozed his way through a scene.

Movie definitely washed the bad taste of Crystal Skull out of my mouth, it's miles better than that turd.

Speaking of, they also had another dedicated lackey who looked distractingly similar to that guy from Little Big:

But yeah, on the whole I had a much better time with it than I'd expected. There's some absolutely shameless nostalgia baiting and some of the overall themes end up kinda muddled, but it still feels a lot more sincere and plain fun than Crystal Skull.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of, they also had another dedicated lackey who looked distractingly similar to that guy from Little Big:

But yeah, on the whole I had a much better time with it than I'd expected. There's some absolutely shameless nostalgia baiting and some of the overall themes end up kinda muddled, but it still feels a lot more sincere and plain fun than Crystal Skull.

That actor (Boyd Holbrook) is quickly rising as a great character actor. He was a decent villain in Indiana Jones, but he was great as the Corinthian in Sandman and was super evil and skeezy in Justified City Primeval.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Medullah posted:

That actor (Boyd Holbrook) is quickly rising as a great character actor. He was a decent villain in Indiana Jones, but he was great as the Corinthian in Sandman and was super evil and skeezy in Justified City Primeval.

he was a bad guy in Logan too, right? He pops up as henchmen frequently

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Genuinely scary movies and shows are too rare, and Midnight Mass on Netflix is a gem. I threw it on because the preview picture looked spooky, and then I watched the rest of it right after that. Samantha Sloyan is scary just talking. The gore is effective but not overused, it all unfolds in a relatively satisfying way, and it never uses the word vampire.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Midnight Mass is incredible and Riley is such a piece of poo poo for that move he pulls on the boat

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I just learned from the Wikipedia article that it was based on a story within a story from the slasher film Hush, also on Netflix. Maybe I'm too jaded, but I never in a million years would have predicted something like that could be good. Now I have to watch Hush, I guess.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Hush is good, worth a watch for any horror fan.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I found Midnight Mass really drat boring. The constant monologues were a slog.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
If you're a horror fan, probably anything Mike Flanagan has done is worth watching, although your tolerance for monologues will usually indicate which ones you'll like more than others. Midnight Mass was pushing it for me (when you can tell the camera starts slowly zooming in it's like "well here we go, buckle up"), but I still loved it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hadn't heard he was doing The Fall of the House of Usher until the trailer dropped last week. It looking a bit more gruesome than his other stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Haunting of Hill House was really boring. Wasn’t really scary or fun or anything just lots of talking about being sad. Idk not for me. Doctor Sleep was mid too

Hesitant to watch any other flan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Haunting of Hill House was really boring. Wasn’t really scary or fun or anything just lots of talking about being sad. Idk not for me. Doctor Sleep was mid too

I loved Hill House, but his style isn't for everyone. No shame in dipping out

W424
Oct 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Haunting of Hill House was really boring. Wasn’t really scary or fun or anything just lots of talking about being sad.

I started hate watching it for the 10 minute monologues about half way through.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Haunting of Hill House is incredible, the writing in the final episode is beautiful

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

CelticPredator posted:

I also thought Hill House was incredibly boring, but really enjoyed Midnight Mass despite the tendency for monologues.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just watched Red Rocket, which is on Showtime. drat! I can't believe it took me this long to see it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked Hill House other than the final episode, which kind of negates most of the show leading up to that

I liked Midnight Mass in spite of the monologues, the funniest was when they gave the Indian sheriff one but way too late in the show, like multiple people were dead at that point the moment has passed on your tragic backstory man

And no one has mentioned Bly Manor which happened between the two, which was good but never stood out amongst the Flanaverse entries I guess

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Oh and then there was the Midnight Club which loving suuuucked

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The monologues read like audition pieces. They suck, they all have the same rhythms and that rhythm isn't even that great to listen to.

The only Flanagan TV piece I overall like is Midnight Mass, and that stops dead for dueling monologues from the lovers about death and the afterlife, (almost? exactly?) right in the middle of the show. It's godawful.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hill House had immaculate horror vibes that reminded me almost exactly of reading a great horror novel. I settled in to the monologues and they really hooked me into the characters through the lense of being booklike. The more action packed episodes near the end were what really lost me.

the funeral home episode is up there in terms of my favorite episodes of TV.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk I was underwhelmed. Neat shots but I just need a bit more umph in my horror. I’d honestly take the conjuring over it if I wanted to watch a spooky house movie

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Idk I was underwhelmed. Neat shots but I just need a bit more umph in my horror. I’d honestly take the conjuring over it if I wanted to watch a spooky house movie

yeah I mean I extremely get it. the familial trauma at the core of it was way more compelling to me then the spookies, so I understand why it was disappointing from the horror angle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’m in the middle of watching Dave Made a Maze, which is on Amazon, Crunchyroll and Tubi and maybe some other services

So far it’s like what if Michel Gondry made The Cube

Edit: acting sucks but it has cool images

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The reveal on the raft at dawn scene in Midnight Mass bought the rest of the episodes a lot of good will.