Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

fanfic insert posted:

Who were the ones where the Russian called the Chinese a class traitor and the Chinese going "yeah that's right, you too bitch" basically dunking on em cause the Chinese guy was from an aristocratic bloodline while the Russians was a farmer

quote:

The former leader of the Soviet Union, Nikita Khrushchev, was meeting the Chinese prime minister, Zhou Enlai (aka Chou En-lai), at a time when the two regimes were competing to be the true proponents of Marxism. "Comrade," said Khrushchev, "I must point out to you at the start that you have an aristocratic background, but I am from proletarian stock." Quick as a flash, Zhou Enlai replied: "Yes, Comrade Khrushchev." Then he paused: "And we are both traitors to our class."

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/getting-graduates-on-message-1.1305308

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I loving hate leftist us troops so much

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

:boom:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

paul_soccer12 posted:

I loving hate leftist us troops so much

There are some books on the British Army from 1880-1918 and my assessment is that it ties into the conversation we had about support for, or opposition to, conscription. Wars of Empire sap confidence in the war (Lions led by Donkeys) not the Empire.

A US Army tanker might be an epic leftist troop but basically because they feel like they were not used to their full potential, not because they feel as if they shouldn't have been used at all. A generation ago, quite a few members of the Vietnam anti-war movement became enthusiastic supporters of the military during the Persian Gulf War and remained on board forever after, because they felt that the execution of the war was done right. That suggests their opposition to Vietnam was never about the idea of the war, just the particulars.

I don't know if Americans have heard of Black Week, but that's where my mind keeps going.

e: not this Black Week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAnfT_v8FE

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

the deliberate reference to cat ears is so interesting after FF raised the whole LGBT liberal angle to legitimatise western imperialism

i think that was a reference to the article that was circulated months ago where some news site or whatever it was published a gushing interview with a female drone operator who had a headset with cat ears and called herself "DeathKitty" or some cutesy bullshit like that, and who went on to brag about how good it felt to vaporize afghans because they were mean to women

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Comrade Koba posted:

i think that was a reference to the article that was circulated months ago where some news site or whatever it was published a gushing interview with a female drone operator who had a headset with cat ears and called herself "DeathKitty" or some cutesy bullshit like that, and who went on to brag about how good it felt to vaporize afghans because they were mean to women

We all got trapped in a Verhoevenian satire, every day I become more convinced of this. It all fits.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

paul_soccer12 posted:

I loving love leftist canada troops so much

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

There are some books on the British Army from 1880-1918 and my assessment is that it ties into the conversation we had about support for, or opposition to, conscription. Wars of Empire sap confidence in the war (Lions led by Donkeys) not the Empire.

A US Army tanker might be an epic leftist troop but basically because they feel like they were not used to their full potential, not because they feel as if they shouldn't have been used at all. A generation ago, quite a few members of the Vietnam anti-war movement became enthusiastic supporters of the military during the Persian Gulf War and remained on board forever after, because they felt that the execution of the war was done right. That suggests their opposition to Vietnam was never about the idea of the war, just the particulars.

I don't know if Americans have heard of Black Week, but that's where my mind keeps going.

e: not this Black Week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeAnfT_v8FE

I think thats what it boils down to them. They've gone to anarchism because they think the Empire is being run badly so they've embraced what they think the opposite of it is, such is why they still support everything it does which is why the go on about Ukraine or how China is committing a gemocide. Hell this loser does a poscast about armies doing stupid poo poo and one episode he admitted he doesn't like doing ones about the US

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Comrade Koba posted:

I don't know if you guys have been around the Top 30 Under 30 and 40 Under 40 crowd, but the ticket to professional self promotion and advancement right now is using that sort of hook to get ahead, so for example there's a sales person for munitions at General Dynamics who is always talking about her work selling munitions as a bisexual woman in a white cis het industry.

For Afghanistan specifically almost every prominent female soldier or government official who got on the media circuit framed their experience as a woman as a central part of the war. There's a painting in the army hospital of a female soldier in the sort of Tactical Hijab the Human Terrain Team people advised female Canadian troops to wear, helping an Afghan girl go to school or something, and my understanding from the plaque is that the Canadian government commissioned this painting to represent the entire war in Afghanistan.

e: It's an oil painting based on this photo, which for a time was in almost every DND office as well, and I think was heavily promoted to the public.

KomradeX posted:

Hell this loser does a poscast about armies doing stupid poo poo and one episode he admitted he doesn't like doing ones about the US

Oh dear.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm wonder what happened to that girls parents

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does anyone remember that photo from the Floyd protests of a cop carrying a frightened young child and then it came out her comrades had dragged the kids parents out of a car and beaten them for no good reason

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Does anyone remember that photo from the Floyd protests of a cop carrying a frightened young child and then it came out her comrades had dragged the kids parents out of a car and beaten them for no good reason

or those pictures from the Afghanistan retreat of the US Marines at the airport posing with a baby they'd 'rescued' and it turned out they had posed for pictures with the kid and then put the baby on the ground and left it there, with some random local civilian finding it and having to (successfully, in the end) spend days trying to locate the kid's parents

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

or those pictures from the Afghanistan retreat of the US Marines at the airport posing with a baby they'd 'rescued' and it turned out they had posed for pictures with the kid and then put the baby on the ground and left it there, with some random local civilian finding it and having to (successfully, in the end) spend days trying to locate the kid's parents

my man it's way worse than that, they straight up abducted the kid and brought the kid back to the USA. It's still ongoing -- the marine has held the kid for three years

https://apnews.com/article/afghan-war-orphan-marine-baby-abduct-adoption-8a0411f16067d73ad0d86b706f5ae46d

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

OctaMurk posted:

my man it's way worse than that, they straight up abducted the kid and brought the kid back to the USA. It's still ongoing -- the marine has held the kid for three years

https://apnews.com/article/afghan-war-orphan-marine-baby-abduct-adoption-8a0411f16067d73ad0d86b706f5ae46d

This is a different kid that a Marine stole after we murdered their family in 2019. Both the Trump and Biden administrations have actually been trying to get this particular kid back to Afghanistan, but somehow the power of a single retired Major is defeating them.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

that also happened but is a different unconscionable crime than the one I was thinking of

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I seem to remember something similar happened in Vietnam.

When that plane full of children crashed, didn’t it come to light that some still had families in Vietnam?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
oh yeah the US kidnapped shitloads of Vietnamese children

also did the same thing in Cuba

(fun semi--related fact: you know that infamous shot of armed INS goons stealing a Cuban immigrant child at gunpoint? that kid, after getting sent back to Cuba, eventually grew into an adult, became an engineer, ran for elected office, won, and now sits on Cuba's national legislature)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://news.sky.com/story/body-of-missing-manchester-man-found-in-ukraine-12962418

The foreign legion is murdering each other apparently

e-Whats insane is that there is absolutely no indication as to what happened, you can just assume that he was killed in a russian attack, 30 miles away from the frontlines while the guy was off duty. No indication about foul play, just "Wait a few months to find the official line from the ukranian government"

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 21:58 on Sep 17, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nazis taking selfies with their victims, a tale as old as time. Or at least as old as cameras. I'll bet there's some sweet first gen photos of Custer's cavalry posing with dead natives or something like that.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Frosted Flake posted:

I seem to remember something similar happened in Vietnam.

When that plane full of children crashed, didn’t it come to light that some still had families in Vietnam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Babylift

quote:

Over 2,500 children were relocated and adopted out to families in the United States and its allies.[7] The operation was controversial because there was question about whether the evacuation was in the children's best interest, and because not all the children were orphans.[3]
That's the only mention in the article I can see, because of course it is, why wouldn't you just brush that over? And anyway,

The wikipedia article posted:

See also
Child abductions in the Russian invasion of Ukraine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

https://twitter.com/gerashchenko_en/status/1701944950198333750?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://news.sky.com/story/body-of-missing-manchester-man-found-in-ukraine-12962418

e-Whats insane is that there is absolutely no indication as to what happened, you can just assume that he was killed in a russian attack, 30 miles away from the frontlines while the guy was off duty. No indication about foul play, just "Wait a few months to find the official line from the ukranian government"

They only beat up the Colombians, the Brits must be even more annoying.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeKassabian/status/1703372229591937435?t=qC1DlTDTzn2oOxsm2_uY2g&s=19

Ah yeah because that's totally what's happening these days right

Host of Lions Lead by Donkeys Podcast. Holocaust and Genocide Denial Researcher.

Big words from a guy who got brain damage and lost a war.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

crepeface posted:

oh wow you know xi jinping?

There’s a substantial critique from Xi in different talks and speeches about the USSR that are very cool and good. In fact, Deng’s approach can only be considered successful because of Xi, imho

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I still want confirmation if he got the name "Dark Angels" from warhammer.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Western commentators are so loving stupid. The point isn’t that DPRK soldiers can kick a brick in half, it’s that they have the discipline and fortitude to all collectively learn a martial art. That discipline directly translates into being able to do an infantryman’s job effectively.

A drone operator may be able to kill a few of them with a hellfire missile, but drones can’t hold ground.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Endman posted:

Western commentators are so loving stupid. The point isn’t that DPRK soldiers can kick a brick in half, it’s that they have the discipline and fortitude to all collectively learn a martial art. That discipline directly translates into being able to do an infantryman’s job effectively.

A drone operator may be able to kill a few of them with a hellfire missile, but drones can’t hold ground.

yes but killing a dozen soldiers would be such an unimaginable tragedy they would immediately surrender

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol @ the last line - "He later moved on to carry out frontline evacuation work."

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

crepeface posted:

russia was never colonised, right? i feel like china's main driving motivation was for that to never happen again as opposed to russia mostly wanting to play ball with the perfidious euros

Not recently, but in older history the Rus were colonized multiple times- Vikings, Christians, Steppe Nomads, Mongols, probably others

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pro editing there.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Actually, I take that back.

Should have cut to the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.

Low effort.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

We’re all just out here trying to understand the science of history

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Endman posted:

whether a nation can win a war is basically unrelated to the perceived manliness of their infantry

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Endman posted:

Nah, technology is magic and can solve anything

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

whether a nation can win a war is basically unrelated to the perceived manliness of their infantry

spartans -- reputation for being ultra manly super soldiers, but actually got their asses kicked a lot

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

true military power lies in the nerds who can do derivatives with pen and paper

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well who the hell is supposed to make all those charts for artillery officers to read?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/JoeKassabian/status/1703372229591937435?t=qC1DlTDTzn2oOxsm2_uY2g&s=19

Ah yeah because that's totally what's happening these days right

Host of Lions Lead by Donkeys Podcast. Holocaust and Genocide Denial Researcher.

you'll never guess who popped up defended Kassabian https://twitter.com/Pharohman777/status/1703450324160393324?t=jE107CwMCjlA5ypPazG6Tw&s=19

don't usually post low engagement tweets but this has forum saga interest value

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

John Charity Spring posted:

you'll never guess who popped up defended Kassabian https://twitter.com/Pharohman777/status/1703450324160393324?t=jE107CwMCjlA5ypPazG6Tw&s=19

don't usually post low engagement tweets but this has forum saga interest value

lmfao

love that he's still out there, PYFing his fav tankies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/Pharohman777/status/1703455978203848713?s=20

there are no rainbow flags or cat ears therefore this army is toxic masculinity