Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The sten definitely has reduced usefulness because it chews through ammo so goddamn fast, but I've found it useful for the handful of big insane ambushes in the game where you really need to keep moving and pray.

Overall my approach to the combat was to approach most encounters as methodically as possible. Taking out as many enemies one at a time and from a distance as possible. General advice is also to take advantage of objects as much as possible, especially lanterns and explosive barrels. For example, that first Leatherface guy you meet in the cave, I'd gather as many lanterns and barrels as possible, usually 5-6 lanterns and at least one barrel, carefully drop them into the pit, take them to that circular chamber one at a time and leave them scattered around with a few bundles of dynamite. After the big guy crashes through shoot one to set the whole room up and then just pick off the survivors.

Remember, you can throw physics objects and then kick them in midair to make them fly very fast. It's pretty easy to gib a lone cultist with a toilet seat if you throw+kick it, and if you get good enough you can kill enemies with eyeball gibs (there's an achievement for this, even). You can also kick thrown bundles of dynamite to make them fly further. Don't be afraid to use dynamite as a tool, the quick throw button is pretty essential.

edit also if you find a bar of soap lying around throw it at any enemies, it will one-hit every enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
STEN is good. Quantity has a quality all its own.

I’m not sure there’s a dud weapon in Cultic tbh. The pistol is easily overshadowed but it’s quite good if you upgrade it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

skasion posted:

STEN is good. Quantity has a quality all its own.

I’m not sure there’s a dud weapon in Cultic tbh. The pistol is easily overshadowed but it’s quite good if you upgrade it.

The pistol is one of the best starting weapons in any FPS if you count it as a starting weapon.

edit the mare's leg is pretty incredible but ammo is so limited, honestly the flamethrower is the only one I don't really use.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Hatchet is probably the closest there is to a dud and that's mostly because it's probably the most inconsistent weapon in the game

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, fair, but melee is often worthless and at least there's the mighty boot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, fair, but melee is often worthless and at least there's the mighty boot.

Melee not being very good is one thing I just wish throwing them was better

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Baron von Eevl posted:

The pistol is one of the best starting weapons in any FPS if you count it as a starting weapon.

edit the mare's leg is pretty incredible but ammo is so limited, honestly the flamethrower is the only one I don't really use.

The flamethrower is the best weapon against big tanky enemies. Lizard gorillas and sideways mouth guys and chainsaw massacres all go down in seconds. The molotovs seem like they take a while or two to proc sometimes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

The flamethrower is the best weapon against big tanky enemies. Lizard gorillas and sideways mouth guys and chainsaw massacres all go down in seconds. The molotovs seem like they take a while or two to proc sometimes

That's because each enemy has a set amount of damage they have to take before they'll catch on fire since that's a death state, Cultists, Zombies, and Ghosts all have pretty low levels for that which is why you can usually one shot any of those with a lantern or Molotov toss(or I guess a single puff of the flamethrower), for tougher enemies you need to hurt them a bit first if you don't want to wait, which is why the flamethrower is so effective on them it does damage on top of inflicting fire(not to mention stacking that status), similarly why in Civvie's video when he tries out the Molotov/Dynamite combo for the first time it near instantly kills one of the big guys and weakens the other one enough that it only needed a couple extra shots to catch fire too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I wonder what the super weapon for ch 2 is gonna be

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I forgot about using it against those mutant types, yeah it's valuable against them. I found lanterns and molotovs kinda useless against them because I also think there's some jank with setting enemies on fire when the fire's on the floor, it's way less doable than you think, even with low level enemies where they just don't happen to catch unless they're in just the right spot.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Dunno if there's a more sensible thread for this, but:

Anyone know of a fix for this in Doom Eternal?

Edit: Finally got it after logging in and out and checking all links were in order on bethesda.net. Didn't feel like I actually did anything, but oh well.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 16, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Milo and POTUS posted:

My guess is some kind of electric weapon

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone play (what's available so far for) Project Warlock 2? I loved the first; is second one, at least so far, better or at least as good?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone play (what's available so far for) Project Warlock 2? I loved the first; is second one, at least so far, better or at least as good?

I have. I wasn't a huge fan of the first PW (too much of a "run backwards and hold down fire" game), and while 2 didn't exactly wow me either it does feel like an improvement.

Project Warlock 3, that's going to be the good one. I feel it.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I've tried it and it seems really fun, but any time I get pushed back against a wall by enemies I clip through and fall out of the level. Gave up for a bit to wait on more development/a patch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the PW2 info. After playing and loving the Turbo Overkill demo, I think I'm going to go with that one. I'll probably pick up PW2 when it's done or closer to being done.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

What's available of PW2 is definitely worth getting when it's on sale or as part of a bundle but yeah probably best waiting otherwise

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

e button kicks with the right leg

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My god imagine how fast you could run if you could kick both legs forward at the same time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I've had dreams like that

Also I'm pretty sure you could do it in Duke, but I might be mistaken

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I've had dreams like that

Also I'm pretty sure you could do it in Duke, but I might be mistaken

I remember that too, like one leg was weapon 0 or tilde or an alternate to the pistol, and the other was maybe a dedicated melee move? Kins, does this ring any bells? Was it a mod?

More games should lean into the stupidity of kicking with both legs. Chainsaw leg in Turbo Overkill is close.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You can definitely do it in Duke. One leg is weapon 1 and the second one kicks in (hurr) when you press tilde.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Duke Nukem v1.3D changed quick kick behavior so that it no longer holsters your current weapon, but added a bug where you could switch to mighty foot as your weapon and simultaneously use that with quick kick. They patched it with the Plutonium Pak.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Duke Nukem v1.3D changed quick kick behavior so that it no longer holsters your current weapon, but added a bug where you could switch to mighty foot as your weapon and simultaneously use that with quick kick. They patched it with the Plutonium Pak.

this was a real downgrade imo and the reason i still treasure the original version. double kick 4 life

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

They patched it with the Plutonium Pak.

Why must there always be someone to spoil the fun?

You know, for as much poo poo as Bethesda gets, I greatly appreciate the fact that giants launching you into the stratosphere is pretty much Skyrim canon now.

11 years ago (:corsair:) we all assumed it'd be patched out, and yet it has persisted throughout literally every version of the game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The projectile boost in ultrakill was originally an oopsy but they decided to keep it in and it's hilarious and possibly the coolest thing ever

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

The epitome of not knowing when to leave something alone

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The epitome of not knowing when to leave something alone

It was the only way to have a hope or prayer of surviving without a weapon handy, and it was funny as hell to boot (so to speak). Hilarious to rampage around a deathmatch with steroids, too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Was that really unintentional?Quick kick and slot 1 kick use different sprites (left and right foot) so someone obviously planned for the possibility they could both be used together

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Why must there always be someone to spoil the fun?

You know, for as much poo poo as Bethesda gets, I greatly appreciate the fact that giants launching you into the stratosphere is pretty much Skyrim canon now.

11 years ago (:corsair:) we all assumed it'd be patched out, and yet it has persisted throughout literally every version of the game.

Did they patch out being able to put a bucket over a shopkeeper's head and robbing them (literally) blind?

A good launch bug that was patched was chickens reporting crimes that they witnessed.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Did they patch out being able to put a bucket over a shopkeeper's head and robbing them (literally) blind?

a variant of that is back in starfield, they changed physics objects to be simulated even before you've interacted with them so you can use an item you own to push an item you don't own out of sight where you can steal it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

A good launch bug that was patched was chickens reporting crimes that they witnessed.

oh my god how did they figure that one out

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

"bird law"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

IIRC they intentionally decided not to patch that.

It is accidentally fixed in the VR version though due to simplified collision models effectively giving the buckets an invisible solid lid.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Easily one of my favorite YT clips

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxXWssIn5PhGCuJK24nKEyHGqw4cTOLj5q

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I thirst for more Q2 levels, I need them. I know Q1 added a bunch of community level packs after the fact but I'm afraid that's not going to happen again because 1) the Q2 level community was never as strong as the Q1 community and 2) it doesn't have a "mods" menu like the Q1 remaster. Someone please please tell me I'm wrong and there are more levels coming soon. Please!

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
I haven´t had a chance to try the Doom 32X resurrection project myeslf yet but this version of the soundtrack is definitely one of my absolute favourites.
Intermission, deep into the code and facing the spider could arguably be said to be better than the Roland SC-55 versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehpU0sjXrQ

Also this is some fantastic use of the Mega drive/Genesis hardware!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL-fc15-1Lk

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm still working my way through Episode 1 of Turbo Overkill, but so far I kind of wish there was a better middle ground between the penultimate difficulty and the absolute highest one. Like things feel a little too breezy on "Serve Me Pain" but it's basically OHK-mode on "Murder Machine". Fun game though otherwise.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm still working my way through Episode 1 of Turbo Overkill, but so far I kind of wish there was a better middle ground between the penultimate difficulty and the absolute highest one. Like things feel a little too breezy on "Serve Me Pain" but it's basically OHK-mode on "Murder Machine". Fun game though otherwise.

It picks up a lot at the last level of episode 1 imo, difficulty doesn't ramp up to an insane degree but they'll be throwing enough enemies at you that you'll start getting more use out of your weapons and mobility upgrades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for the PW2 info. After playing and loving the Turbo Overkill demo, I think I'm going to go with that one. I'll probably pick up PW2 when it's done or closer to being done.

Welp, because I'm bad at making decisions, I was in Steam, in the store, had Turbo Overkill in my cart.... And noticed that Halo: MCC was less than half that price. So I got that instead.

I heard that the multiplayer was fixed for Steam deck. Do goons still play this?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 18, 2023