Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I am also done with 1-to-1 agent simulation for city builders like this.

Maybe a small town simulator, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Agents are great IMO, luv me agents.

I never had an issue with them in CS1 so if they've improved them for CS2 I don't imagine I would have any issues there either.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
I forgot which YouTuber I was watching play CS2 last night but I felt kind of bad watching how clean and sterile looking low wealth housing was.

I wanna build backwater towns with farmland and county fairs, dang it :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The farmland looks pretty good at least. There was a video where a guy was doing English countryside and you can build just a bunch of farm fields all over the place.

I just wish they'd tell us about modding, really. Like clearly they understand a solid portion of the audience is into the weirdo detail stuff, they wouldn't include infinite money and no progression modes otherwise. Plus the "watch me detail this poo poo like a madman" YouTube channels with 700,000 subscribers. But if their position is "hey we aren't doing all this ourselves but just left everything open to modders, you weirdos go hog wild customizing it however you want" then that's fine. I just want to know.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Grand Fromage posted:

But if their position is "hey we aren't doing all this ourselves but just left everything open to modders, you weirdos go hog wild customizing it however you want" then that's fine. I just want to know.

If it's this then I really hope having modders on staff has resulted in a sane framework that doesn't break everything for each of the hundred DLCs they release

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Almost all of the guys doing the release videos are big detail modders and they've all been quiet on it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

drunkill posted:

This Silvarret video is great so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyctALLq36E

He places a lot of trees as boundaries in fields, they get to a decent size not too long after he's placed them, maybe an hour or two in real time.

The problem is the trees do not auto-rotate when places, so they do begin to look like clones, that should be an easy enough fix for the devs if they do it.

That's my favourite of these videos so far.
Another favourite. How to cheat your way into Megalopolis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0_l8b3vRs
Small Playground is cheap enough and gives enough xp to be net profitable to build due to Milestones money.
4000 small playgrounds later -> Megalopolis.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres no prop placement. Im not sure if bsquiklehausen was allowed to say that since all the other detail youtubers have specifically not said anything about props, but he said it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9m4QTrLwI

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

City Planner Plays also said there's no prop placement in his video

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah there just doesn't appear to be any props in the menu, just trees. Which is also how CS1 was so it's not enormously surprising.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a prop menu in CS1. Though I do not know if it was there at release or not.

If you meant being quiet about mods, yeah. They're under NDAs. I don't expect to hear anything about modding before Colossal Order tells us about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there? Last I played you could only place trees unless you used a mod.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Is there? Last I played you could only place trees unless you used a mod.

Yep, it's in the parks menu. Find It is much better so I never bother, but it's there.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

idk why nobody is talking about the #1 unanswered question about CS2, which is if intersections still treat roads as having separate rights of way unless they're at exact 180 degree angles. it was always incredibly annoying to see one lane have a green light and the other one have a red because one side of the road was misaligned by 1 degree or something

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Humble Bundle is doing one of their occasional bundles where you can get CS and a fistful of DLCs for $20, this one has a bunch of the content creator packs:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/cities-skylines-build-today-plan-for-tomorrow

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Randallteal posted:

I want a game that simulates external time passing like SC2K/3K again, but it's probably not feasible from a production standpoint without using AI tools to generate all the assets you'd need for different eras of buildings and new vs aged versions of historical building types.

This is something I've wanted for a long, long time.

Ideally you'd start in like 1850 or so and the only outside connection is a lone rail track spanning the map. Build some dirt roads, plop down a small train station along the track, build a little post office, and boom - you got yourself a little town that will start bringing people in.

Continue to expand outward and develop industries like farming and ranching to get your little town going. Eventually start making road connections to the rest of the world. Once automobiles come along, they'll start replacing horses and carriages as modes of transportation your citizens are using. It's all intertwined with resources.

Not exactly a novel concept. Transport Fever 2 did a great job with both resources and "development" over a period of time, it's a real shame they didn't use that engine to make a city builder with it.

Of course, the planning of how to handle buildings being new, older, and old but also nice, rundown, and abandoned can cause a lot of headaches if you also add states for "repurposed", as in using an old house as a convenience store or something. It would be amazing, but alas.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I haven't closely followed but has the increase in scope wrt to the simulation aspect of CS2 causing problems from what people can tell from influencer access? IE is the "recommended specs" actually going to give decent performance?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Streamers are all gonna have the kinds of machines where that isn’t so noticeable, I’d’ve thought.

And dang, I completely forgot about the older SimCity games starting with just like, steam trains and stuff available. Along with Transport Tycoon that seems to have been a thing in 90s games that ended up getting dropped for some reason.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's one of those things where it becomes exponentially more difficult to integrate as games become more complex and art assets become more detailed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And also means you end up with a hard limit on game lengths with meaningful progression, which is shorter if a player wants to start with relatively modern infrastructure. OpenTTD with authentically modded horse drawn vehicles and early steam trains is a real slog, while futuristic monorails and maglevs can make things too easy.

It works for certain kinds of game formulas, but not for others.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The streamers have not commented on performance because it's an unoptimized beta. The only things I've seen are it loads in just a few seconds, and I saw screens of a city with 300,000 population which is possible in CS1 but hard to get to without the city exploding.

The fact they removed hard limits for agents (and, presumably, for other stuff like nodes but they haven't said) means that the game will eat however much computer you have to throw at it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I think I’m the last person playing CS1 on Switch (which is understandable :( )

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ExtraNoise posted:

Of course, the planning of how to handle buildings being new, older, and old but also nice, rundown, and abandoned can cause a lot of headaches if you also add states for "repurposed", as in using an old house as a convenience store or something. It would be amazing, but alas.

Every time I see one of the brick factory buildings from the Industrial Evolution pack I wish they could develop into apartments if I rezone them

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mrpwase posted:

Every time I see one of the brick factory buildings from the Industrial Evolution pack I wish they could develop into apartments if I rezone them

Landlord spotted!!!!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gentrification sucks but old factories and stuff converted to apartments are also cool, it's a bitch of an earth.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Adaptive reuse is good and would make cities look more interesting. You can do it in CS1 with RICO but I don't think there's a way to change just a single building, it changes all of them. If CS2 RICO let you do single buildings that would own.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AFAIK CS2 actually has a system where commercial buildings are vacant until businesses move into them, which is when signs and stuff get put up. It'd be cool if they could use that for mixed use zoning type stuff where the same building could be a residence or business but that'd probably make their engine explode.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Landlord spotted!!!!

Ah gently caress

I would like to modify my original statement with a 'once the abolish private rents ordinance is enacted' clause

Also I have a grim fascination with making lovely cities I guess!

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

AFAIK CS2 actually has a system where commercial buildings are vacant until businesses move into them, which is when signs and stuff get put up. It'd be cool if they could use that for mixed use zoning type stuff where the same building could be a residence or business but that'd probably make their engine explode.

Yeah I always got annoyed playing CS1 seeing perfectly good buildings get demolished and rebuilt because the company went out of business. Just reuse it you morons!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

turn off the TV posted:

Cant wait for the first mod that turns vacant commercial lots into Spirit Halloween stores

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

mutata posted:

Gentrification sucks but old factories and stuff converted to apartments are also cool, it's a bitch of an earth.

my old job was an office that was inside a converted bicycle factory, it was excellent, we had all these exposed steel beams and lattices and pipes and poo poo

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

mrpwase posted:

God yes. If I start up a city there's always an industrial zone close to the old town - I'd love to be able to have a repurposed industrial area into lofts or shops or public buildings.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've never done a "model city" build in CS1. I'd like to give it a try before CS2 comes out. Is there any video that walks through the mods etc you use to be very persnickety about placing stuff?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Move It, Game Anarchy, Line Tool, Building Control, Tree Control, Surface Painter, Extra Landscaping Tools, Prop Control, 81 TIles 2, Network Anarchy, Loading Screen Mod (this is more to keep the game running better with a lot of assets), Network Multitool, BOB, Find It! 2, Node Controller Renewal 3.5, Ploppable RICO Revisited 2.5.5, Undo It, Hide It! should cover you. Some of those will have dependencies but the workshop tells you that.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mrenda posted:

I've never done a "model city" build in CS1. I'd like to give it a try before CS2 comes out. Is there any video that walks through the mods etc you use to be very persnickety about placing stuff?

Once you've given a subscribe to the mods from up above ☝️, you may want to watch some videos from two dollars twenty (or other creators) and try to follow what they're doing each step -- a lot of it comes down to having an idea behind a "scene", setting up roads, and moving things manually to line up, along with adding some props:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV01oPQzJc0

Also give Imperatur a shot, since he does the same kind of thing but in vanilla (with DLC) Skylines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7LBe0rysjk

Goes to show you don't always need tons of mods to get a good result.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also be sure to set plopped buildings as automatically historical in RICO, otherwise they'll change when they level up.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks all. Last time I tried this was a few months back and all the mods exploded with dependencies and bugs. I'll probably be pulling my hair out in an hour.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

death cob for cutie posted:

my old job was an office that was inside a converted bicycle factory, it was excellent, we had all these exposed steel beams and lattices and pipes and poo poo

Been in one of these in Hartford, CT.

p cool.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's pretty hard to convert office buildings into residential. You need a lot more plumbing.

There are definitely a lot of efforts to do so, but they're not doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Mixed commercial residential would be great. Small apartment blocks with shops on the ground floor that kind of thing.