Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of dumb military showmanship, I will take any excuse to post AirForceSwords.jpg:

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
lol they use weeb anime swords. :allears:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dameius posted:

lol they use weeb anime swords. :allears:

Jealous much??

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I wanna see them use Frostmourne

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Heath posted:

Jealous much??

Pfft I can get better at the mall. :smug:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cleretic posted:

As much as I like this angle, I've never actually seen clear proof of it. The only characters who ever say it are her abusive sister who's constantly insulting her, and your 'information font' partner who's a little bit too likely to believe what she hears and seems to just be taking said abusive sister's word. It's perfectly plausible to read those scenes not as Beldam being transphobic, but going for the 'call a woman a man because of her looks' insult.

It's been nearly twenty years since that game came out, and the means to check this sort of thing weren't very widespread back then, but I remember that nothing I could find actually said that Vivian was trans that couldn't also read as 'Beldam is cruel and Goombella's slightly gullible', both of which are just independent, verifiable truths about those characters.

gently caress off

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A friend of mine made it through Vietnam safely as a member of the U.S. Army Band. He went on to be a scholar of the American musical and edit/collate the definitive edition of a couple of musicals, including one Sondheim. As far as I'm concerned, tax money well spent.

My dad's older cousin Jerry was on the USMC shooting team during Vietnam so managed to avoid actual combat - until he pissed off someone in his chain of command and was transferred out of the unit. His incredible streak of luck managed to save his rear end again though, and this was right as Vietnamization was the new hotness and his new unit withdrew and went to garrison in Korea instead.

I guess you could debate whether that last bit was lucky or unlucky but it had to be better than in the poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cleretic posted:

As much as I like this angle, I've never actually seen clear proof of it. The only characters who ever say it are her abusive sister who's constantly insulting her, and your 'information font' partner who's a little bit too likely to believe what she hears and seems to just be taking said abusive sister's word. It's perfectly plausible to read those scenes not as Beldam being transphobic, but going for the 'call a woman a man because of her looks' insult.

It's been nearly twenty years since that game came out, and the means to check this sort of thing weren't very widespread back then, but I remember that nothing I could find actually said that Vivian was trans that couldn't also read as 'Beldam is cruel and Goombella's slightly gullible', both of which are just independent, verifiable truths about those characters.

vivian being trans is a common view of her character in japanese spaces that discuss the game. it's something she remarks on herself in the japanese text

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

do you actually know japanese or are you just literally making poo poo up.

because people do act like the original was a respectful depiction of a trans woman when, it was really muddy and unclear and dumb because its from 2004. however, the idea that she was just a cis girl in the original jp and people are reading too much into it is moronic.

the jp party member description for her - as in, when you open up the party menu:

quote:

カゲ三人組の一人だった オンナのコのようで ホントは オトコのコ

a rough translation would be

quote:

One of the shadow sirens. Vivian likes to look girly, even though they're a boy.

This isn't Goombella's dialog, this is the impartial narrator.

And every single TL other than English keeps this aspect of her character, including the Italian version changing that description to

quote:

Vivian used to be a man, but now she's a woman - and proud of it.

The spanish TL also renamed the character Bibiana, in reference to a trans actress.

Endorph has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Sep 17, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Say what you like, it'll always be better than BotW

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The whole joke about Vivian being the only pretty Shadow Siren also makes way more sense if you know that tidbit. Again it's not exactly tasteful, but there's honestly a stronger argument for Vivian being a crossdressing man* than a cis woman.

*note: don't actually argue this

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
No more "is this character trans or not" tea leaf reading, please. Do not become the idiot on social media.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Am I trans?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

I dunno, what does your bio say in the original Japanese?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alacron posted:

I dunno, what does your bio say in the original Japanese?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRQQVK6nV8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hm, not a fan of calling it 'tea leaf reading' to discuss the raw text of a game

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

This is a terrible hill to stake out and fight on. Just fyi.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Wicked Zoga is extremely trans coded.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Yes. Report to your district captain for induction and prepare for basic training. You will be learning Rust while being interrogated on your opinions on fallout games.

Endorph posted:

hm, not a fan of calling it 'tea leaf reading' to discuss the raw text of a game

:yeah: goodness me let's not discuss trans people in media it might be too controversial

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
as long as nintendo doesnt re balance the game or try to fix Vivian's broke as eff DOT fire attacks im fine.

Also do these fake gamer regressive outrage peeps know about Birdo?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I take it back. I was crabby when I posted. Sorry buds.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Come on mods are supposed to double down

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm not a doubling down kinda person. I don't believe in modder kayfabe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear it is a random tangent that its fine to go 'okay knock it off' about i just disliked the wording because even when a character turns to the camera and says theyre trans people still act like youre crazy for reading it as a trans thing

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah I worded it poorly.

To be clear: Tangents are fine (*gestures towards subforum subtitle*) as long as they don't go for too long or makes people sad. It's just posts.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It did read a little like that other poster was urgently trying to find reasons the character *wasn't* trans, which is a bit weird, but I hope that's not what was happening.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Trangents lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
e: messed up

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Birdo is trans, Vivian is trans, Koops is trans, Bowser's trans, Mario's trans. When I play a Mario game every single character is trans and I will not be dissuaded. This is the power Nintendo gave me, and none can stop my hand.

Actually I take it back, there's one cis character and it's Booster.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also I said modder kayfabe, which doesn't make any sense. I've had a long day.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
What if I headcanon the entire cast of Paper Mario as trans except Vivian.

What will you do, goons? You are powerless against me.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Luigi = 🥚

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A friend of mine made it through Vietnam safely as a member of the U.S. Army Band. He went on to be a scholar of the American musical and edit/collate the definitive edition of a couple of musicals, including one Sondheim. As far as I'm concerned, tax money well spent.

Imagine how powerful of an ooom-pah band we could make if they spent all the F35 money on tubas and drums.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I postulate we probe Cleretic either way

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Birdo is trans, Vivian is trans, Koops is trans, Bowser's trans, Mario's trans. When I play a Mario game every single character is trans and I will not be dissuaded. This is the power Nintendo gave me, and none can stop my hand.

Actually I take it back, there's one cis character and it's Booster.

Dry bones is by definition an incel

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

tokin opposition posted:

You will be learning Rust

The programming language or the video game?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

wakka wakka posted:

Dry bones is by definition an incel

Delete this

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Idiots on Social Media: Dry bones is by definition an incel

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Philippe posted:

modder kayfabe

Wasn't he the guy who welched on eating a hat? Very thread appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Seriously, out of every "censorship" controversy in gaming, the one around new Lara confuses me the most. Her boobs are still pretty big for someone her size imo.