Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

EVG posted:

Finally caught up in this thread. I admit I might have skipped a few hundred pages in the middle. My first is due in December and now I wonder if I made a big mistake :dance:

Saw an article the other day about how you will lose all your friendships with childless friends over the next few years and…. yes I guess that’s true? Honestly we had trouble keeping up with friends who had children, much less those who didn’t. But friendships are hard, text people from time to time. And maybe try not to talk about poop every waking minute. We failed at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

EVG posted:

Finally caught up in this thread. I admit I might have skipped a few hundred pages in the middle. My first is due in December and now I wonder if I made a big mistake :dance:

Honestly there's so much more joy than frustration. There's a lot of frustrations but a ton of joy, at least in our life.
Even with having not had a real night of sleep in several years I wouldn't ever have done anything differently.
If you made the choice already just be confident in it and enjoy the sweet parts. You will learn so much about yourself.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah, I was kinda bummed about this thread before having my kid, but I get it now. Having a kid is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but occasionally you gotta vent about the dumb boring poo poo somewhere as well.

I have only two weeks of maternity leave left! Then it's my husband's turn to stay at home for 5 and a half months. I'm sure they are gonna have a great time, but at the same time I'm secretly glad he has to deal with the whole starting to move phase.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Renegret posted:

I'm almost done with TOTK! Only took 5 months, which is a personal record for a game of that length!

If I'm lucky I'll finish it before new babby comes in late October.

Honestly if your older kid is in daycare or school and you get decent leave, the potato phase is pretty good for games you can pause. I'm on my second bg3 playthrough and I'll probably finish a third before my mat leave ends at Halloween.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

About once a month I'll be in the car with 30 minutes to my destination and I'll just call some random person I haven't talked to in three years. That's about as good as it'll get for a long long time I suspect

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Who calls people these days?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Goffer posted:

Still only in act 1 of Baldur's gate 3 :negative:

The trick is, get less sleep by playing when everyone else is in bed!

I learned that operating on 4-5 hours of sleep when approaching 40 is suboptimal, but I need to stop this evil cult of the Absolute!!! The Sword Coast needs me!

Edit: act ii is also smaller than act i. I was at 22 hours to complete act I, and hit 40 at the start of act III.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 17, 2023

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

EVG posted:

Oh my goodness you're in for the thrill of a lifetime. That first minute you spend with the littlest person is just going to floor you. They will keep on flooring you day in and day out until you die.

You'll be so tired that you'll get brain damage, which isn't as horrific as you might suppose considering you will more likely than not experience memories of the bad as positive experiences and memories of the good as swarms of joy. It's all joy. Taking 10k photos and videos of their first years and revisiting them constantly during the workday is normal in our age.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

EVG posted:

My three year old was playing with her veterinarian toys today, shined a light into my throat, told me I had throat diarrhea and that it was bad news.

You can't get that kind of treatment anywhere else.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

nachos posted:

Saw an article the other day about how you will lose all your friendships with childless friends over the next few years and…. yes I guess that’s true? Honestly we had trouble keeping up with friends who had children, much less those who didn’t. But friendships are hard, text people from time to time. And maybe try not to talk about poop every waking minute. We failed at this.

But like also if those people DO end up having kids you might be able to pick up like you never left of because they suddenly, totally get it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

A Bad King posted:

The trick is, get less sleep by playing when everyone else is in bed!

I learned that operating on 4-5 hours of sleep when approaching 40 is suboptimal, but I need to stop this evil cult of the Absolute!!! The Sword Coast needs me!

Edit: act ii is also smaller than act i. I was at 22 hours to complete act I, and hit 40 at the start of act III.

I’ve been doing this since child was born 3 years ago. Daddy video game time is between 5-630am and/or 10pm-midnight. Tbh I probably just need to stop playing video games because among the many things parenthood has made me resentful of, video games are one of them. I notice every little instance of time wasting game design whereas before that poo poo just didn’t matter.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When you've done a great job keeping kiddo awake on the 20 minute ride home but you blink at the red light in to your neighborhood and she nods off six blocks from home and won't nap in the crib

:suicide:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Doll House Ghost posted:

Yeah, I was kinda bummed about this thread before having my kid, but I get it now. Having a kid is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but occasionally you gotta vent about the dumb boring poo poo somewhere as well.

I have only two weeks of maternity leave left! Then it's my husband's turn to stay at home for 5 and a half months. I'm sure they are gonna have a great time, but at the same time I'm secretly glad he has to deal with the whole starting to move phase.

5 and a half months?! Holy moly. I only get 9 weeks, and half of that unpaid :sigh:

After that, we’re going to see how well I can juggle working remote and watching baby, as day care is almost as much as my take home check each month… it’s gonna be an experience!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

External Organs posted:

My three year old was playing with her veterinarian toys today, shined a light into my throat, told me I had throat diarrhea and that it was bad news.

You can't get that kind of treatment anywhere else.

Mine likes to walk towards me, snipping the doctor’s kit scissors, saying “It’s gonna be ok! It’s gonna be ok!”. Bedside manner needs work.

Also my 4yo daughter has been playing princess and talking about going to the ball. But today a new character has entered the playspace: The Baller. The Baller’s job is to wear a cape and write all the princess’ names down who are attending the ball.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish I was a baller :(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Brawnfire posted:

I wish I was a baller :(

I wish I was a little bit taller :(

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

devmd01 posted:

I wish I was a little bit taller :(

I wish I had a girl who looked good. I would call her. :(

Edit: wait. My wife looks great. I don't like this game I joined.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 18, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When is the kid "potty trained"

Twice today she without asking went and used the 1/2 size trainer potty and emptied it into the big toilet, one time asking "how do i flush the big one?"

That sounds about 80% trained? Do I need a solid week of dry diapers?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shoulda went for the rabbit in the hat with the bat and the 64 Impala

Daughter [from bathtub]: I've got a challenge for you!
Me: Okay, hit me.
Daughter: Can you whistle Moonlight Sonata?
Me: [starts trying to whistle moonlight sonata]
Daughter: Not the first movement, the third movement.
Me: What...? Jesus christ...

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I always thought of my kids as fully potty trained when we went a full week where I didn't have to think twice about them being in underwear all day.

There are steps though. Like a clean diaper day, wearing underwear during the day, wearing underwear at night.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh apparently we still have to master pooping. Which.... has not happened yet

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Does one ever really master pooping though

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

nachos posted:

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

EVG posted:

5 and a half months?! Holy moly. I only get 9 weeks, and half of that unpaid :sigh:

After that, we’re going to see how well I can juggle working remote and watching baby, as day care is almost as much as my take home check each month… it’s gonna be an experience!

Yeah, here each parent gets 160 days (counted Mon-Sat) of paid leave and the birthing parent gets an extra 40 days on top of that. You can gift 63 of your days to the other parent. System was a bit different before, but since men weren't using their leave (something like 12% of paternity leave got used) the system was changed to more equal to encourage men to use their leave.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

nachos posted:

Great at pooping, wiping is another story

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

When is the kid "potty trained"

Twice today she without asking went and used the 1/2 size trainer potty and emptied it into the big toilet, one time asking "how do i flush the big one?"

That sounds about 80% trained? Do I need a solid week of dry diapers?

What's your definition of "potty trained?"

Our day care has a list in the bathroom of all the kids in our 3 year old's room and their status. Our 3 year old is listed as "fully potty trained."

Most of his poop is in his undies still. Maybe once or twice a week he'll either self initiate it and go to the potty, or we'll catch it at just the right time, but that's still the exception and not the rule.

He usually self initiates pee, but not always (edit; by that I mean he will self initiate more often than he has an accident). But we still have to keep an eye on him and make sure he goes frequently enough, because he still occasionally ignores it and doesn't quite make it in time. Typically he's dry, both during the day and also periodically in the morning or after nap. Sometimes he has a pee accident, but that's much more rare now.

So.... that's what our day care considers "fully potty trained."

Our oldest is almost 6, and my nephews are almost 8, and all this has taught us is that this is something that takes years before you're truly accident-free. It's a long, slow process of incremental improvement.

At some point long before that you will be diaper free, but I wouldn't consider that to be the true end of it.

nachos posted:

Is this rhetorical because you're asking goons...

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 18, 2023

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Our 7 year old still needs nighttime pull-ups because they sleep so deeply but other than that they’re completely autonomous in bathroom use so idk what counts

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

nachos posted:

Thread titleeeee

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

nachos posted:

Parenting Thread: Does one ever really master pooping though

… although I am a big fan of the current title too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'd consider fully potty trained where if you average accidents where you have to change underwear (not counting being sick or other out of ordinary situations) they average to zero per day when you round over the course of a week.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
If it helps put this in perspective, our oldest just started kindergarten. At her school, the K and I'm pretty sure the 1st grade classrooms all have their own bathrooms in the room, whereas the 2nd grade and older classrooms do not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nachos posted:

Have you tried fiber supplements?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You can't hold everything!! You can't hold everything.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
On that note, my 5yo is having some sort of hangup about using the toilet at school. Like, he's holding pee all day until he gets home at like 5pm. It's freaking me out, that can't be good for your bladder! Trying to bribe him into it with ice cream, so far no success. If he doesn't do it today, it's time for a note to his teacher. Kids!! WTF!!!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Mokotow posted:

Great at pooping, wiping is another story

Mom!
Mom!
Mooooooooooooom!
I need a wipe!
Moooom!!!!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"daddy you need to wipe me because it's not fair if I do it"

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

Mom!
Mom!
Mooooooooooooom!
I need a wipe!
Moooom!!!!

This is my wife's life. If she's busy and I'm free, I'm still not good enough.

Also, if you haven't enrolled your kids in Dolly's Imagination Library, I would definitely recommend it. They emailed a congrats for graduating, our daughter turned 5 today, so she won't be receiving free books anymore. But it was really awesome, Dolly is the best.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

calandryll posted:

Also, if you haven't enrolled your kids in Dolly's Imagination Library, I would definitely recommend it. They emailed a congrats for graduating, our daughter turned 5 today, so she won't be receiving free books anymore. But it was really awesome, Dolly is the best.
Seconding this, we get a ton of mileage out of every book. It’s super easy to sign up too :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Seriously?

https://twitter.com/hatchforsleep/status/1703887365041742119

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Color changing light needs to connect to the internet?