Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zazamoot posted:

After Alien 3, if there had to be more movies, the films should have explored the awful stuff that a corporation like WY would get up to once obtaining samples of the alien. It seems the only storyline anyone can think of is "Bad corporation gets alien, incompetently fails to contain it". A core theme of the first and second movies is that capitalist corporations are by nature ruthless and uncaring ("crew expendable"). It's understandable that Ripley's fear would be the company underestimating the creature and accidentally infecting Earth, but the scarier scenario should be what WY would be capable of doing deliberately.

Instead of representing organizations like Weyland-Yutani as malicious, but ultimately bumbling, which completely takes the teeth out of the commentary on capitalism, show us what WY would actually do with xenotechnology. Self-replicating synthetics that can fully replace human workers and colonists? Targeted infestation to put down worker strikes and colonial insurrections? Maybe WY makes a gambit for overthrowing the world government.

The Dark Horse comics delved a bit into this, where it's discovered that the xenos make for lovely bioweapons, but they excrete a substance branded as "Royal Jelly" that is like a cure-all/performance-enhancing drug/euphoric. Much of the post Earth War stuff is based around various corporate entities trying to find a way to harvest this new green gold. Of course, I believe this is also the origin of the "Bug Men" from the Colonial Marines series, the xeno-human hybrid cult that serves as the villains of the comic. Essentially, taking so much Royal Jelly starts turning people into these hybrids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The psychic stuff with queens was also a fun twist. The queens essentially forced people to have dream-visions, and the queen that some non WY corp had on earth managed to break out of her cage via cultists that were being tormented by these dreams. Their torment ended soon enough, though :getin:

e: definitely misremembering some of this, but I think it was the start of the Earth War comic line.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 17, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else remember the comic about the xeno homeworld, and how they are not the apex life form? As in there's another species that takes them down and no, it's not the Predator. Think about it: a natural predator of the xeno that can actually gently caress it up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

The psychic stuff with queens was also a fun twist. The queens essentially forced people to have dream-visions, and the queen that some non WY corp had on earth managed to break out of her cage via cultists that were being tormented by these dreams. Their torment ended soon enough, though :getin:

e: definitely misremembering some of this, but I think it was the start of the Earth War comic line.

Yeah you’re right. The cultists were hearing her “sing” to them, and they break into the old NORAD bunker where the idiot company is holding her, under the mountains in Colorado I believe, and run in there and allow themselves to be facehugged.

Then others grab their unconscious bodies and spirit them away to all corners of the earth, to begin the infestation.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

MrMojok posted:

Yeah you’re right. The cultists were hearing her “sing” to them, and they break into the old NORAD bunker where the idiot company is holding her, under the mountains in Colorado I believe, and run in there and allow themselves to be facehugged.

Then others grab their unconscious bodies and spirit them away to all corners of the earth, to begin the infestation.

Is this the Stargate/Aliens crossover?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Is this the Stargate/Aliens crossover?

Close the iris!

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else remember the comic about the xeno homeworld, and how they are not the apex life form? As in there's another species that takes them down and no, it's not the Predator. Think about it: a natural predator of the xeno that can actually gently caress it up.

I vaguely remember this. The other species was kinda pale pink and boring and featureless, versus the dark, biomechanical intricacies of the xeno. That's about all I can remember

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
My favourite sub-story that isn't specifically about WY is Dr. Church being kept alive in a dying hive in Aliens: Labyrinth

https://youtu.be/NTJQ2RD0Y2c?si=7MBc2uWFZSUczK3a

It's gross, but interesting the survival tactics of both Church and the Aliens.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Fatrick posted:

My favourite sub-story that isn't specifically about WY is Dr. Church being kept alive in a dying hive in Aliens: Labyrinth

https://youtu.be/NTJQ2RD0Y2c?si=7MBc2uWFZSUczK3a

It's gross, but interesting the survival tactics of both Church and the Aliens.

Man that's some creepy poo poo - reminds me of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. Thanks for sharing.

A dying hive is such a cool idea for a different angle. Why couldn't we get something weird like this instead of the lame poo poo in Prometheus and Covenant.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Another phrase I use from Aliens still. During a situation that has turned difficult:

MARINES! We are LEAVING!!!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

MrMojok posted:

These comics sound awesome, where can I read a copy?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Non-comic, this omnibus of novelizations has it:

Aliens Omnibus Volume One

Another thing is these YouTube videos, which are basically a guy showing screenshots of the comics and reading some of the dialogue. The Earth Hive stuff starts here:

https://youtu.be/XG63Ac9u1kQ?si=eGKIXcr88ZTosZdn

https://youtu.be/A10GCJHs7y0?si=focXISfJvjjWr4dP

https://youtu.be/u4RkHLjHl2g?si=H8-JxJ6ubUX7PGiO

https://youtu.be/ArOHUdgojtM?si=4OdCzs5qKck4nOoV

https://youtu.be/OzE80T9CJkg?si=Jabo1H4l74TfbdoE

https://youtu.be/yOduG8hgTf8?si=HeIF9rUIVchaseLA

If you want the physical comics but don’t want to try and chase down all the individual issues, this trade paperback has them:

Aliens Omnibus Volume One (comics)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

redshirt posted:

Another phrase I use from Aliens still. During a situation that has turned difficult:

This is also not the line

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

redshirt posted:

I use "Looks like she don't like the cornbread either!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fatrick posted:

I use "Looks like she don't like the cornbread either!"

LOL me too.

I'm wondering now if I have any other decades old Aliens quotes I've been using.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Here's a synopsis on it:

https://youtu.be/XG63Ac9u1kQ?si=6MnV23_9b7NDy4Fl

It's from Aliens: Outbreak, aka Aliens: Earth Hive. Earth war is the sequel.

Fatrick fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 18, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gorman you always were a son of a bitch

*Blows huge explosive

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

redshirt posted:

Gorman you always were an rear end in a top hat

*Blows huge explosive

FTFY

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thank you

*Grabs your suicide hand

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I can't remember a persons name 2 seconds after I'm introduced but Maricheck, John J? I know he died during surgery before embryo implantation. They killed him trying to take it off

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

redshirt posted:

Thank you

*Grabs your suicide hand

One of my favourite scenes in the entire goddamn movie. Vasquez pulls the grenade, pops the safety cover off and depresses the trigger. she and Gorman pile on hands on said grenade right as the alien attacks. Boom.

An iconic Last Stand moment.

E: I’m so old that I watched the movie in the theatre in 1986 as a teenager. It was loving awesome.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 18, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tango alpha delta posted:

E: I’m so old that I watched the movie in the theatre in 1986 as a teenager. It was loving awesome.

I saw it with friends back in high school. Then, a week later I saw it again with my girlfriend and one of her friends. I was watching them, not the screen, for the med lab jump scare. They delivered.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I saw it with friends back in high school. Then, a week later I saw it again with my girlfriend and one of her friends. I was watching them, not the screen, for the med lab jump scare. They delivered.

Looks like love at first sight.

Aliens has so, so many good lines.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

One of my favourite scenes in the entire goddamn movie. Vasquez pulls the grenade, pops the safety cover off and depresses the trigger. she and Gorman pile on hands on said grenade right as the alien attacks. Boom.

An iconic Last Stand moment.

Getting chills just reading that.

I saw Aliens in the theaters multiple times.

Not only was it just a great movie, it's such a cool concept to take the "Last Girl Standing" from the previous space horror movie, and give her this whole bad rear end arc in a space horror action movie.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

redshirt posted:

When I was in the USMC this was quoted constantly.

Leaving a restaurant? Might as well say it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Where's Bowski?! Where's Bowski?!

An Aliens FB group that I recently joined had a couple of people quote that lol.

Yes, they were told it was actually someone's full last name, Wierzbowski.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
"Hisssssss"

--the alien that gets Burke

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I think this has come up in the thread before but when Ripley and the queen reach their accord, but then an egg opens...was that an intentional doublecross or more of a "noooo not now dumbass" accident

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think this has come up in the thread before but when Ripley and the queen reach their accord, but then an egg opens...was that an intentional doublecross or more of a "noooo not now dumbass" accident

I always thought it was the latter. She knew the whole place was going to be vaporized in just a couple of minutes anyway.

That head tilt is one of my favorite non-spoken lines in the movie.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I tend to think the queen did trigger that somehow, it was too good a way to deal with the threat Ripley posed if she hadn’t noticed, and given how drat far the queen went to get Ripley and Newt I don’t think she would have just let them escape anyway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, I don't think it was a clear understanding between them. I mean, "they're animals."

Ripley showed big flame and pointed it at the eggs. The queen recognized this as a serious threat and had the two guards back off. I would imagine as soon as Ripley left the room the guards would have been on her. It probably worked out for the best that the egg opened up then and she torched everything and killed the guards while they were in front of her.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The queen is smart, but if I learned anything from working as a zookeeper and the movie Nope, it's that even trained animals are still loving wild. Just because the lion let you pass by one way doesn't mean he won't nail you the second your back is turned. Or you look to the side. Or anything.

Rescuing a baby bear from a trap doesn't mean mom bear will let you leave alive.

The queen didn't know the place was going to be vaporized.

I would love to see some extra parasite poo poo on the xeno side. As in something that natively preys and parasitizes on the xenos too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cowslips Warren posted:

The queen didn't know the place was going to be vaporized.

In case this was directed towards my comment, I was referring to Ripley. :)

Well, unless the queen had a degree in nuclear physics or something.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah, I don't think it was a clear understanding between them. I mean, "they're animals."

Isn't that line another example of the Marines underestimating the Aliens, though?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would love to see some extra parasite poo poo on the xeno side. As in something that natively preys and parasitizes on the xenos too.

That goes back to my question about what happens if a facehugger impregnates another xenomorph.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Well, unless the queen had a degree in nuclear physics or something.

Rascar Capac posted:

Isn't that line another example of... underestimating the Aliens, though?

Like, we don't know that she doesn't.

Just because she's the mother of hundreds of murderous killing machines with acid for blood doesn't mean she can't have a rich inner life, follow her own interests, or pursue a fulfilling career outside of the hive.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rascar Capac posted:

Isn't that line another example of the Marines underestimating the Aliens, though?

True.

madeintaipei posted:

Like, we don't know that she doesn't.

Just because she's the mother of hundreds of murderous killing machines with acid for blood doesn't mean she can't have a rich inner life, follow her own interests, or pursue a fulfilling career outside of the hive.

Also true...

:thunk:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

That head tilt is one of my favorite non-spoken lines in the movie.

That head tilt alone was worth an Oscar nod.

Rascar Capac posted:

For as much flack as it gets for arguably turning the xenos into "big bugs," Aliens does make some significant gestures toward them possibly being something more/else. These movies work best IMO when they're monsters, not animals. Aliens included.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Xenos have no tech, correct?

But they clearly can understand it - like when they cut the power.
They can also use strategy and tactics that seems beyond just hive response behavior.

They're smart, but not overly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah I mean they were able to understand when Brad Dourif presses a button they get punished, and even used that button to freeze a marine.

And they knew to use their acid blood to escape containment. They definitely understand cause/effect