Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKub
May 11, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Nordean is back in front of Kelly today (in a couple hours) RE sentencing

Is he one of those Proud Boys that swore in court that they were super duper sorry and would never do it again and then immediately went out and started rabbling "Get out there and do it again!"? A revised sentence should be in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

SpeakSlow posted:

...in exposure.
probably yeah. so many crooked lawyers are about to take a step up into crooked mob/oligarch/other organized crimes lawyer

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

TheKub posted:

Is he one of those Proud Boys that swore in court that they were super duper sorry and would never do it again and then immediately went out and started rabbling "Get out there and do it again!"? A revised sentence should be in order.

The other guy, Pezolla,'s first words outside the courtroom were "Trump Won" after claiming that he had given up politics during his sentencing. I honestly hope they can adjust for this kind of bullshit behavior. They clearly knew they were playing the court and the court shouldn't be stuck with it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

A "corrected sentence" occurs only in the case of a serious technical or mathematical error, it can't be used to re-sentence a defendant because of their post-sentencing conduct.

They probably messed up the guidelines calculation somehow.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It was a technicality. No substantive change to the sentence.

https://twitter.com/rparloff/status/1702723910318395589?s=20

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

mdemone posted:

It was a technicality. No substantive change to the sentence.

https://twitter.com/rparloff/status/1702723910318395589?s=20
So the law kicks in and goes "homie can only serve ten of that", right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If they're concurrent sentences then it doesn't actually matter in terms of when he gets out of prison, I believe

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

karthun posted:

Its amazing because Trump's PAC is sucking up all of the donor money, not to win the 2024 election but to not go to jail.

What about all that sweet NFT money or whatever those stupid trading cards were?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Justice has asked for a narrow gag on Trump and his counsel, citing both a history of attempts to influence proceedings and the resulting intimidation/harassment.

quote:

The Government seeks a narrow, well-defined restriction that is targeted at extrajudicial statements that present a serious and substantial danger of materially prejudicing this case. The Government’s proposed order specifies that such statements would include (a) statements regarding the identity, testimony, or credibility of prospective witnesses; and (b) statements about any party, witness, attorney, court personnel, or potential jurors that are disparaging and inflammatory, or intimidating. See Exhibit 2. The Government’s order also specifies that, consistent with other clarifications in Local Criminal Rule 57.7, the order is not intended to prohibit quotation or reference to public court records of the case or the defendant’s proclamations of innocence.

It'd appear that what tipped Justice over the edge here was Trump's posts about a trip by special counsel to the White House to take direction from Biden prior to indictment:

quote:

In his posts on this topic, the defendant repeatedly makes the knowingly false claim that Special Counsel’s Office prosecutors went to the White House in advance of the defendant’s June 2023 indictment for improper reasons.

In fact, as the defendant well knows from the formal FBI FD-302 interview report and agent notes that he received in discovery on June 21, 2023, in the Southern District of Florida case, on March 31, 2023, the Special Counsel’s Office prosecutor conducted a routine investigative interview of a career military official at that official’s duty station—the White House
This being the tipping point makes some sense, as there's minimal opportunity for the government to dislodge it if finds purchase in jurors' minds pretrial but would never be permitted as a part of Trump's defense.

I'm curious to see where Chutkan will land on this and how narrowly she'll tailor the restriction.

Chutkan also issued an order RE jury pool surveys

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 16, 2023

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Islamic Shock posted:

So the law kicks in and goes "homie can only serve ten of that", right?

So Federal stuff roughly goes: you look at all the crimes and guideline tables and enhancements and come up with a guideline range, the judge chooses a number in that range - here, 18 years, and then the underlying crimes have to have punishments that can add up consecutively to that time in order for the judge to craft the sentence so that it sticks.

If you only had one 5-year maximum crime, you could not give someone 18 years total regardless of what the guidelines said.

This case has tons of 'extra' time in all the other charges, so one of the charges getting reduced does not limit the judges ability to reach the guideline sentence that he determined was appropriate. Lots of the assigned time was running concurrent. Judges like to run them concurrently and assign them on the high end so that in the event one or two counts get struck down, the overall total doesn't go down, you just have fewer counts running concurrent.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In short, there are redundant crimes so it doesn't matter if one of them gets shortened.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Paracaidas posted:

Justice has asked for a narrow gag on Trump and his counsel

Assuming the gag order is granted, so what? He's going to violate it so fast he will break the laws of causality and the effect will take place before the cause. So, again, so what? What will be the actual consequence from violating the order? Unless they're actually going to lock him up for it, it's a fart in a hurricane.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, placing the order is one thing. We’ll see if something finally has teeth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

Assuming the gag order is granted, so what? He's going to violate it so fast he will break the laws of causality and the effect will take place before the cause. So, again, so what? What will be the actual consequence from violating the order? Unless they're actually going to lock him up for it, it's a fart in a hurricane.

If the judge doesn't feel like enforcing a gag order against Trump*, they just won't impose a gag order in the first place.

Note that the judge's idea of what violates a narrowly tailored gag order will be far more limited than what us politics-addicted spectators think should qualify as a gag order violation!

The actual consequences for violating a gag order vary based on the relevant jurisdiction's laws, but are typically light - a small to medium fine and/or a short stint in jail. Also, judges are typically discouraged from imposing the max penalties. As the Supreme Court once put it, "summary punishment always, and rightly, is regarded with disfavor, and, if imposed in passion or pettiness, brings discredit to a court as certainly as the conduct it penalizes".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh no wouldn’t want to do anything the Supreme Court thinks discredits the institution.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What? Trump is engaging in witness intimidation and urging stochastic terrorism against the judges and prosecutors in this case (all his cases)?

How terribly unforeseen! There was, literally, no way to know because each court room is an island unto itself blind to anything beyond its walls and forgetful of any time prior to the case in front it and no agency, official or process is allowed to notice.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Murgos posted:

What? Trump is engaging in witness intimidation and urging stochastic terrorism against the judges and prosecutors in this case (all his cases)?

How terribly unforeseen! There was, literally, no way to know because each court room is an island unto itself blind to anything beyond its walls and forgetful of any time prior to the case in front it and no agency, official or process is allowed to notice.

You’re right, Texas judges should be allowed to halt the Biden effort to suspend student loans solely because of what that judge thinks about Biden from watching Fox News

or maybe it’s an incredibly important part of our legal system that you can only consider the evidence presented within the court

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

You’re right, Texas judges should be allowed to halt the Biden effort to suspend student loans solely because of what that judge thinks about Biden from watching Fox News

or maybe it’s an incredibly important part of our legal system that you can only consider the evidence presented within the court

It would be trivial to present well documented evidence that Trump is a serial offender of witness tampering.

For some reason though the well documented evidence of it (Mueller, Jan 06 committee, impeachment hearings, etc…) is forbidden to be presented in the current cases to show his practice. We must simply ignore it while he corrupts the process and endangers people lives until some vague and undefined threshold is reached. Maybe.

Edit: The thing is that the courts can and do deal with this sort of behavior all the time. They just don’t offer bail or if the defendant is out on bond they revoke it.

Any other person in the world with Trumps documented record would have been gagged at minute one.

We’re just playing silly games here. There is no slippery slope to random judges randomly enforcing gag orders on non-defendants or even moderately mouthy defendants. The system is perfectly capable of differentiating between these behaviors.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 17, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Republican judges do not give a single fig about what other people do or think. They are fig-less.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kaal posted:

Republican judges do not give a single fig about what other people do or think. They are fig-less.

They care very much what the Federalist Society thinks. They certainly don't care what those icky liberals think.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Murgos posted:

I don't think any of the cases he's in have sanctioned him for witness intimidation, let alone for "urging stochastic terrorism". Maybe the problem isn't that the courts aren't checking each other's notes, but rather that actual real-life judges draw the legal line for "stochastic terrorism" differently from where you do.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think as a general rule our protections against stuff like witness intimidation, destruction of evidence, and other crimes against the justice system itself are far too qeaky, and they are weak in ways that mostly benefit people like Trump

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

I think as a general rule our protections against stuff like witness intimidation, destruction of evidence, and other crimes against the justice system itself are far too qeaky, and they are weak in ways that mostly benefit people like Trump

If Trump were either brown or not immensely wealthy he'd have been in jail since like the 90s.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GlyphGryph posted:

lol qeaky

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Trump were either brown or not immensely wealthy he'd have been in jail since like the 90s.

If any of the people involved here weren't of the social class and ingroup the laws are explicitly written to serve best, they'd be serving indefinite sentences for terrorism in a federal pen somewhere.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/1703866736208977959
After multiple reads, it's unclear to me whether this behavior was solely while in the white house, solely at Mar a Lago, or both. Still, I think the bigger piece of Molly Michael's testimony is:

quote:

Sources said that after Trump heard the FBI wanted to interview Michael last year, Trump allegedly told her, "You don't know anything about the boxes."
Combined with

quote:

But then, according to what she told investigators, around the same time that the National Archives found nearly 200 classified documents in the 15 boxes and referred the matter to the FBI, Trump began to seem more reluctant to cooperate with the agency, and he asked Michael to help spread a message that no more boxes existed, sources said she recounted.

That's when Michael became concerned, knowing that scores more boxes were in the storage room, sources said. And as Trump continued to claim that there were no more boxes, Michael even pointed out to him that many people, including maintenance workers, knew otherwise because they had all seen that there were many more than 15 boxes, sources said she told investigators.
That's an employee who isn't charged and has committed no crime advising against the obstruction as it was ongoing, an employee who left of her own volition when she realized the legal cluster everyone remaining was going to be in, who can testify to the obstruction. So far as I recall, this is the first person we've heard from who left on her own and didn't participate.

Also, bonus Trump lawyers pretending they don't know the source is Michael/her lawyer and trying to get in on the narrative from Hunter's just-filed federal leaking suit:

quote:

A Trump spokesperson said that what ABC News was told -- through what the spokesperson called "illegal leaks" -- lacks "proper context and relevant information," and that "President Trump did nothing wrong, has always insisted on truth and transparency, and acted in a proper manner, according to the law."

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Well thats hilarious and completely believable.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

At this point I just feel insulted by how sloppy everything is. I know the Nazis were less jack-booted and more clown-shoed in implementation, so it’s not like this is a drop in quality. But is it so much to ask for minimal competence from your political apocalypse?

Also no news from Chutkan in D.C.? Trump’s deadline to reply was yesterday, and I figured this was the kind of thing that would be ruled on super quickly. Was I wrong in that estimation, or am I again underestimating how slow the legal definition of “quick” is?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Xiahou Dun posted:

At this point I just feel insulted by how sloppy everything is. I know the Nazis were less jack-booted and more clown-shoed in implementation, so it’s not like this is a drop in quality. But is it so much to ask for minimal competence from your political apocalypse?

Also no news from Chutkan in D.C.? Trump’s deadline to reply was yesterday, and I figured this was the kind of thing that would be ruled on super quickly. Was I wrong in that estimation, or am I again underestimating how slow the legal definition of “quick” is?

This reply?

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/trump-files-reply-to-the-special-counsel-arguing-judge-chutkan-should-recuse-herself

quote:

Hours before a deadline set by Judge Tanya Chutkan, Donald Trump's attorneys have filed a reply in response to Special Counsel Jack Smith's response to Trump's request to have Judge Chutkan recuse herself from the January 6th indictment. Like the initial request, this reply is not founded on any legal precedent that would require recusal by Judge Chutkan.

In this eleven page reply, Trump argues that "[t]he public must have confidence that President Trump’s constitutional rights are being protected by an unbiased judicial officer. No president is a king, but every president is a (US) citizen entitled to the protections and rights guaranteed by the US Constitution."

Despite making boisterous claims concerning past statements made by Judge Chutkan during a sentencing of a fellow January 6th defendant, Trump again cannot overcome the substantial burden that would necessitate recusal. Specifically, Trump cannot demonstrate any explicit bias by Judge Chutkan against Trump or that she has a personal connection to the case. As a result, these arguments, like the ones in his original motion, fall flat.

Edit: Oh, you meant ruling on it? I don't think anything is stayed pending its resolution, so having it hanging out there is nbd since everyone knows it's garbage

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O I thought it was about the gag order, but I’m probably just mixed up. Thanks.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Trump paying for Chesebro's lawyer? I feel like he must be a sacrificial pawn so Trump can hear what Willis has, or maybe they intend to try to spread the trial over multiple juries to get a single hung or innocent, and use that to try to take apart the whole RICO case.

But IANAL, so maybe that's Clancy-chat.

Catching up with this thread but the term you're looking for is Grisham-chat. :v:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Yeah, Clancy-chat would be Canada and India suddenly becoming embroiled in a diplomatic brouhaha.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Clancy-chat would be Jack Ryan's grandson, Tom Clancy Ryan, being a US senator who's a member of the Armed Forces Committee and the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence but also a solo-infiltrator operator sent on black ops missions to disrupt Russian and Chinese military operations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

It's funny seeing the progression of "There's guys in suits in office and guys in balaclavas in helicopters, they're both a part of wetwork and the line is not as clean as they like to think" to "The president's son leads seal team six" in Clancy's writing.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

It's funny seeing the progression of "There's guys in suits in office and guys in balaclavas in helicopters, they're both a part of wetwork and the line is not as clean as they like to think" to "The president's son leads seal team six" in Clancy's writing.

To be fair that poo poo was being ghostwritten before Clancy was even in the ground.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

To be fair that poo poo was being ghostwritten before Clancy was even in the ground.

He peaked at Sum of all Fears, everything after that was a slow decent into suck.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Any time I've been tempted to read a Clancy book, I just re-read the first 2 Bourne books again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Cimber posted:

He peaked at Sum of all Fears, everything after that was a slow decent into suck.

He never got over the collapse of the USSR.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Cimber posted:

I wouldn't even say it was a slow decent into suck - Debt of Honor was only 2-3 years after Sum of all Fears, in which Japanese nationalists invade Guam, attack the US Pacific Fleet, somehow crash the US stock market/banking system (I don't remember the story here), and a Japan Air pilot flies a 747 into the US Capitol.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Whatever the China vs. Russia book he wrote was called, it was utterly hilarious. All of a sudden the same characters he'd been writing about for the past 10-15 years were suddenly saying "Y'know, those Russians aren't so bad! Now the Chinese on the other hand, those folks are Martians." Pretty rapid about-face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As with all Republicans