Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1702790655582601405

Aidan Hutchinson gonna eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Yeah, it's going to be a blood bath. Any bets on how many sweeps is K9 is going to be running on Sunday?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Absent truly incredible heroics by Stafford, I think the niners will dominate. I was impressed by how physical and inspired the Rams played week one, but the niners always play like that and might be the most physical team in the league. Unless I'm not thinking of some position group, pretty sure the Rams are worse at every position except quarterback, even though I'm a big Brock fan.

Now that makes me think of what the niners would be with Matthew Stafford. That would be disgusting

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

MakaVillian posted:

Sounds like an excuse a fan of the SOSAR would come up with :colbert:

The answer I was pretty much expecting.

Play posted:

Now that makes me think of what the niners would be with Matthew Stafford. That would be disgusting

Shame on you for even thinking that.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Manoueverable posted:

Firing Darrell Bevell is really turning out to be way more of a monkey's paw situation than even I anticipated. We keep getting fool's gold offenses that get solved in the last quarter of every season and now we can't even make it that far even with a receiving corps everyone penciled as top 5 preseason.

I dont think more screen passes on 3rd down would have helped.

My observations:
Geno Smith still stares down his receivers and didn't fix that defect this offseason
Rush defense was much improved
Pass rush was atrocious
Pass coverage was terrible. Even with the lazy pass rush, the Rams were able to pass the ball without risk

I didn't see anything wrong with the receivers or running game 2nd half. It was all o-line/Geno putting up a turd of an offense.
On the defense, it looks like we are continuing the trend of spending the first half of the season to get competent.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I am not feeling good about all the nasty things Aidan Hutchinson will do to our backup RT

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Just run the ball, can't sack the QB if he hands it off every play.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Obviously, I'm not happy the Seahawks blew a 10 point 4th quarter lead before winning, but I was pretty happy with how they looked overall considering 3 members of the OLine were out. Witherspoon got burned with one bad penalty and a 20+ yard TD on him but also stopped two 4th downs. Hard to say he'll ever be anything extremely special with one game of experience, but I liked what I saw from him. Geno ended with another great soundbite and a really inexcusable mental gaffe on that 3rd and 8. Surprising to see him do something like that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Never lost faith in my boys

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Wow. I thought it was going to be a blow out, but Seahawks managed to pull that out despite a lot of gently caress ups. While Detroit's DL beat the poo poo out of ghost of Seattle's OL, they did shockingly well at not letting a lineman leak through for a quick sack. Hell, I think the only sack was that gently caress up that Geno made at the end of regulation. Tre Brown with that big sack followed up by a pick 6, :kiss:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
49ers secondary is getting torched.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Shindragon posted:

Stafford has only been under pressure once? The dline isn't doing much.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm not sure what level of the Niners d is winning their battles, the run and pass game is effortlessly gashing them so far

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was an putird peformance by the defense. I asked in the GDT, did Rams ever went to third down on that drive at all?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just saw that Arizona is up 20-0 on the Giants at halftime. Holy poo poo the Giants are baaaaaaaaad

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shindragon posted:

That was an putird peformance by the defense. I asked in the GDT, did Rams ever went to third down on that drive at all?

They have 17 points.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shindragon posted:

It ain't pretty.

Happy for Cards fans today though. They deserve some happiness.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This Nacua kid is apparently unstoppable? He's getting whatever he wants all day

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Van Jefferson sucks so much rear end. Drops everywhere, running lovely routes to cause INTs, low effort, barely seems to care. Seriously, take him out. I rarely get frustrated with players but man he just blows

Apart from that the game went about like I expected. I thought the Rams played really well for the most part, but talent wins out and and the niners are like five times more talented overall.

Play fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 18, 2023

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Happy first SOSAR of the year everybody :toot:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Benne posted:

Happy first SOSAR of the year everybody :toot:

Niners Seahawks is gonna be a real fun time

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Glad the defense woke up in the 2nd half but those last few penalties were ugly

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm so, so sorry Cardinals fans. It's all my fault.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I haven’t seen a defense like that since the 2008 Lions.

Cardinals might go 0-17.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What was that flag on Jauan Jennings? The defender was facing him so it wasn't in the back, he didn't target the head?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
SOSARS but goddamn the Niners defense had zero pressure on old man Stafford until the end of the 3rd quarter.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm so, so sorry Cardinals fans. It's all my fault.

I'm hand waiving it as absurdist performance art and encourage any already insane Cardinal fans to join me

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
A few too many dumbfucklike penalties and brock needs to work on his long ball but a decent win I think

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DuhSal posted:

A few too many dumbfucklike penalties and brock needs to work on his long ball but a decent win I think

That third quarter miss to Deebo hurt, he was wiiiiide open. He missed on those throws all day.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Gonz posted:

I haven’t seen a defense like that since the 2008 Lions.

Cardinals might go 0-17.

That might get them the #1 pick. The Bears are running in contention for it too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Not sure if the dline was starting to get closer before or after that drop-pick but that was when niners defense started to take over. Offense was good enough.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Bosa needs to pick it up. I get that he missed all of training camp so Ill give him a pass for now. Drake Jackson has been really good so far though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Carillon posted:

What was that flag on Jauan Jennings? The defender was facing him so it wasn't in the back, he didn't target the head?

If it's the rule I'm thinking of, "crackback blocks" are also called for a blind-side block, which says you can't block the defender if he can't see it coming. I think of it as the the defenseless receiver rule, but applied to blocking against the defense.

e. also, Aiyuk has been the biggest deep ball threat and he was obviously hurting all game. Ray Ray also has the long ball but I don't see him getting many offensive snaps. Brock definitely overthrew two or three deep shots though, and I wonder if that's a timing issue because he expects Aiyuk to be running that route and Aiyuk runs it faster?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Rad Valtar posted:

Bosa needs to pick it up. I get that he missed all of training camp so Ill give him a pass for now. Drake Jackson has been really good so far though.

He started getting better in the 4th so hopefully that's the jump start he needs

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Lifespan posted:

Just saw that Arizona is up 20-0 on the Giants at halftime. Holy poo poo the Giants are baaaaaaaaad

And the Cards are baaaaaaaaad

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Lifespan posted:

And the Cards are baaaaaaaaad

The Cardinals are making a statement about what is or isn't a win in the NFL. It is provocative and decades ahead of its time, appreciated least of all by Caleb Williams

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
If Arizona does not have the first pick in next years draft all of the coaches are fired.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

If it's the rule I'm thinking of, "crackback blocks" are also called for a blind-side block, which says you can't block the defender if he can't see it coming. I think of it as the the defenseless receiver rule, but applied to blocking against the defense.

Yeah exactly, some players do it well though because basically all you gotta do it get in their way. A little push with the hands, or turning your back so they kinda run into you, or just kinda of standing there in the way will all work without drawing the flag

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

Van Jefferson sucks so much rear end. Drops everywhere, running lovely routes to cause INTs, low effort, barely seems to care. Seriously, take him out. I rarely get frustrated with players but man he just blows

Apart from that the game went about like I expected. I thought the Rams played really well for the most part, but talent wins out and and the niners are like five times more talented overall.

Both these points are spot on.

I only saw the game via RedZone, but I saw enough of Van Jefferson to confirm my thoughts that he does, indeed, suck.

Boot Cam Ackers out the door too. Kyren is so much more down hill than Cam, which is exactly what the Rams need.

This team is not as bad an everyone initially thought they'd be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

This team is not as bad an everyone initially thought they'd be.

The Rams are probably going to be a middle of the road team. They've got a good defense, and when they aren't up against last season's #1 defense, they have a solid offense. Their rookie WR, Puka Nacua, set a couple of rookie WR records against a great defense. He's going to be a player to watch, and you'll probably see a lot of him on highlight reels.

They aren't winning the division though, not by a long shot.