Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

People won’t stop breaking my French presses with metal spoons so I do get super irritated if they don’t use my specific wooden spoon for it

Oh poo poo, no wonder all my French presses kept breaking.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for forcing my son into a smaller room so my daughter and her husband can move into his?

Hey kid, you got to live outside of the cupboard for a whole two years, time to go back in for the sake of your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

What are people using spoons for in a French press?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

selec posted:

You want to stir it up to break up any coffee clumps before pressing down with the mesh filter. You could use pretty much anything including chopsticks but if you're breaking glass you've got some kind of motor control issue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I always just turn the spoon upside down and stir it with the handle, never broken a french press :shrug:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Just use a moka pot.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

selec posted:

This honestly makes really good coffee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for blowing up on my fiancee for hiding the truth behind our wedding rituals?

I'm kind of doubting the veracity of this post- if the bride's religious enough that the OP has to be legally Muslim to marry her, then it stands to reason she would have been religious enough to not want to marry a non-Muslim in the first place.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i just made some coffee, you guys

it's p good

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

it's too late for coffee here and too early for booze. worst time of day. yes i know i can have either whenever i want but enduring this hour of hell works best for my sleep.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just stir your french press coffee grains using an immersion blender like a normal person

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CommissarMega posted:

I'm kind of doubting the veracity of this post- if the bride's religious enough that the OP has to be legally Muslim to marry her, then it stands to reason she would have been religious enough to not want to marry a non-Muslim in the first place.

Could be she's not particularly religious but doesn't want to aliebate family who is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TengenNewsEditor posted:

it's too late for coffee here and too early for booze. worst time of day. yes i know i can have either whenever i want but enduring this hour of hell works best for my sleep.

It's a little known fact that alcohol's depressant qualities perfectly counteract caffeine's stimulative effects, you can just combine em and drink as much as you want!

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's a little known fact that alcohol's depressant qualities perfectly counteract caffeine's stimulative effects, you can just combine em and drink as much as you want!

thanks for the tip.

1 espresso martini coming pu

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

It says right in the story she only cares about doing it to appease her strict religious family.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
My (40F) Boyfriend (39M)Ruined My Workplace Celebration And Said He Wanted Sex With My Sister

quote:

TLDR: the man I thought I would share my life with expressed sexual desire for women who are very dear to me. He ruined a celebration with my colleagues by accusing me of inappropriate behavior with them. I still have to see him and I'm finding this very difficult.

I'm F40 in a scientific field and have dedicated years to my work. I have a project for which me and my team found a larger company that will work as a partner to commercialize the final product. Putting all the financial advantages and representations of success aside, this feels like I'm taking a weight off my shoulders..The pressure of embarking on something and not knowing when it's gonna get finalized is very consuming.

I'm not big on partying but my team held a small celebration and of course, I attended. I took my boyfriend Manny ( M39) with me and he ruined the night. He got mad at me for the level of intellectual intimacy that I have with some of my male coworkers. I explained that this is what happens when you spend 8-16 hours talking to team members. Nothing creepy is happening here. They assigned me to a leadership role and I got the job done. Now we get to enjoy the results of our collective hard work. For background, they are ages 56M, 67M thru 82M. After this, we are likely to work remotely.

The get together went as an usual non office meeting. We exchanged funny stories and shared a few drinks. Their wives were there and because Manny isn’t familiar with my coworkers, everyone bent over backwards to make him feel welcome.

My boyfriend was supposed to spend the night at my place. While at my place and I was still doing my best to set aside his accusations of flirting with old men. He asked to see pictures of my friends and family out of the blue, so I pulled pics from their social media. He said " your best friend is so gorgeous, I'd love for her and I to make a baby. Your sister is yummy, I wonder what she's like in bed". This happened without a warning. I was completely taken by surprise. We have never joked that way and what he said was horrible and disrespectful both to them and to me. I was petrified and stopped engaging with him, to the point that he threatened to leave and I didn't do anything to stop him.

This has hit me so hard that I got a minor chest pain ( not from a real medical reason but because I wanted to cry and couldn't). I feel very out of place right now. I'm embarrassed that someone I love would treat me like this and without provocation.

I've been staring at the wall and not being able to sleep. He just made me feel like women like me (dedicated and who hardly wear makeup) don't really inspire love and respect.

He's been blowing up my phone. He says I overreacted but I only texted him that my sister's is my baby and I'm protective and that my best friend is sacred to me so please gently caress off.

He has just hurt my self confidence. I'm thinking that if he said that, then he thinks I'm not deserving of respect. What worries me is that he was someone I trusted because he was always awesome and one of the men who've treated me nicer. So if he stopped caring about me then maybe I'm doing something that makes men disrespect me. We were doing fine until a few months ago, when he started poking fun at me and doing things that slowly became increasingly mortifying.

I dress okay, but I could never be a Pinterest outfit creator. I hardly wear any makeup because I'm always on the run. He made occasional jokes that made me feel like I'm less but he always acted kind almost immediately after, so I thought maybe he has a poor filter.

How can I learn to identify potentially cruel men early on? I thought I was very lucky to have him as I used to work 16 hours a day for this project ( only on tight deadlines) and he was super understanding. This experience has left me feeling angry with myself.

He goes to the same places I go so I'm gonna have to face him, eventually. What can I do to manage my feelings of disappointment and pain while he's around? Any advice could help

What are the odds that he's already cheating on her?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

the holy poopacy posted:

It says right in the story she only cares about doing it to appease her strict religious family.

Well have you considered I can't read :colbert:

Seriously though, bit of a whoopsie on my part lol.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

People won’t stop breaking my French presses with metal spoons so I do get super irritated if they don’t use my specific wooden spoon for it

Just train them to use chopsticks

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

CommissarMega posted:

She's not marrying a non-Muslim; she's going to be marrying a very recently converted Muslim. It's really quite supportive when you think about it - they can grow spiritually together throughout the marriage, which is a beautiful thing.

My partner nixed the Asian wedding hard, sadly. I'm all for a multi-day party, but in fairness the costume changes seem like a lot of faff. No white horse for me either, although that's probably more a tasteless rich person thing than it is traditional.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who has time to make coffee these days

Just snort a line of grounds like a normal person

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Foo Diddley posted:

i thought you were supposed to use a fork for cheesecake

actually the serrated grapefruit spoon is king here too, cut right thru a graham cracker crust with this one weird spoon.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for forcing my son into a smaller room so my daughter and her husband can move into his?

quote:

My(48f) pregnant Daughter (25) and her husband are moving back to our city because of a job offer for my sil. They asked us to move in with us for a year or so because they couldn’t find an affordable house immediately. They will eventually buy a house here. I am thrilled that she is coming back. Not only because I missed having her close to me but also because of the help I can provide for her when the baby is born.

However there is a big problem. We have three bedrooms. My husband and I have the master bedroom and our son (16) has the second largest one. These two rooms are really LARGE. The third room is not small per se but in comparison to the other two it is. Also to small for two people (and a baby). My Son had the smallest room until his sister moved out two years ago. He was very happy with his new room.

I know that it is kinda mean to ask him to move back into the smaller room and his father and I are willing to compensate to him. His dad offered him a new gaming pc and when that didn’t convince him he said he can have a new phone of his choosing on top of that. But my son is adamant about staying in his room. He even called his pregnant(!) sister to tell her to f*** off and stay where she is. She was very upset after his phone call and cried when she told me. She also said sil has second thoughts about moving in with us after my sons tirade.

Today I told him to start moving his stuff into his old room and informed him that we ordered an iPhone 15 Pro for him and that his dad will buy him any pc he chooses. He was furious and accused me of playing favorites.

I tried to explain to him that the circumstances demand this and that his sisters needs have priority over his wants. But he refused to listen. He stormed out of the house a few hours ago and won’t answer my calls. My husband thinks I went to far and was an AH for telling our boy that his sisters needs are more important. Am I the AH here? I get that he is angry but his sister needs her family (including him) right now and that is more important than having the larger room.

Edit: sil is my Son in Law. There is no third person involved.

Edit 2: My daughter never was a ,golden child, she was always there for her brother and cared for him and I love and treat my kids equally. She got the bigger room because she had much more clothes and needed a bigger closet (he spends most of his money for tech stuff that is FAR MORE expensive then whatever we gave her for clothes before you get ideas).

I didn’t offer my room because this room is shared my two persons. He is one. Two persons need more space then one person .

Edit 3: My son in law just called me. They will not move in with us. My son called them again and insulted both of them. Daughter is in tears. She can’t understand why her baby brother wouldn’t want her here.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not requiring my daughter to bring a gift to her friend’s birthday?

quote:

My daughter is 14. She has a good friend whom she’s known for three years.

My daughter loves to crochet and makes lovely hats, sweaters, and toys. She also gardens.

For special events she usually gives her close friends a custom crocheted item in their favorite color or pots a small plant from her garden. (Whereas with an acquaintance she’d probably just buy something).

Her friend approached her this year with an invitation to the party but followed it up with “Only come you’re going to bring a real present.”

I told her she didn’t have to bring anything at all (or even go) if that’s her friend’s attitude.

Her friend’s mom reached out to me a few days later and said she’d heard from her daughter about the exchange and wanted to apologize. I told her it was fine and she responded, totally serious, that it “Hadn’t occurred to [her daughter] that we might not be able to afford a gift.”

I explained ed that was our situation and rapped the conversation up pretty quickly.

Now, though, realizing it may be more the mother’s fault than the friend’s, I’m wondering if I’m an rear end in a top hat for having my daughter attend without bringing anything.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

When I was in high school, my friend had limited funds, but she painted me a loving awesome dragon on a rock the size of a dinner plate, and for one birthday she gave me a drawing about 2 foot by 3 foot, all black and white of fantasy dragons and unicorns and poo poo. I still have both of them. Meanwhile the various knickknacks and poo poo from other people over the years, I may or may not have kept most of those. Mostly the latter.

I need more friends who do the homemade poo poo.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

quote:

rapped the conversation up pretty quickly
Gotta respect her freestyle skills though.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ad090 posted:

Kid's a bit of a dumbass for not just biting the bullet for a few months to get an entire gaming PC upgrade for free.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ad090 posted:

Whoa, straight past Monday this week?!

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

This one includes some edits at the end that weren't in there the first time it was posted itt.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not requiring my daughter to bring a gift to her friend’s birthday?

When I was in high school, my friend had limited funds, but she painted me a loving awesome dragon on a rock the size of a dinner plate, and for one birthday she gave me a drawing about 2 foot by 3 foot, all black and white of fantasy dragons and unicorns and poo poo. I still have both of them. Meanwhile the various knickknacks and poo poo from other people over the years, I may or may not have kept most of those. Mostly the latter.

I need more friends who do the homemade poo poo.

Anyone who does not appreciate a hand made gift, and indeed insists on a store-bought one instead is by definition a horrendous arsehole.

Also, if you are given something that someone else has spent their own precious time, energy and skills on. That they did thinking of you, and with the intention to give you something of themselves. Even if it is poo poo, useless, ugly, and awful. That is worth at the very least a smile and a thank you. And if you can't muster that, then you are a monster.

Home-made gifts are awesome. I have written a little story in a notebook every year for my nieces birthday. I forgot/was lazy two years in a row, and she came to me and said, "Uncle BrigadierSensible, can you please write me another story for my birthday next year." It broke my heart and I was suitably shamed. She turns 12 this November and you'd best believe I have written her a story. It's about mermaids.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITAH for saying I would never have chosen my husband as the father of my child?

quote:

I (37F) and my husband Liam (30M) have two children. I’m currently pregnant with our third (and last)! Liam is a wonderful husband and a fantastic father.

I was out at brunch with a few friends of mine. I was telling them a funny story about my cravings and how Liam had made a cake from scratch for it. A friend of a friend, Paige, said that “I chose so well” and that she should’ve put as much thought as I did in choosing him. I have a reputation for being really thorough and thinking things out before doing anything - the “responsible” one.

I told her that I never would’ve chosen Liam to be the father of our first child, but I am so grateful he was. I was very lucky.

Our pre-marriage life was messy. I was with another man - Dave. Dave was a steady, reliable man and we had been together for years. Dave made a new friend who was Liam. And I could not help but absolutely hate him.

According to him, Liam made Dave feel young again and he was desperate to reclaim the sense of youth he lost by being responsible since he was young.

He spent all of his time with Liam and other bros. Dave would spend every night out partying until 2 or 3 am. He spent his entire paycheck and some of my paychecks on wrestling videos and online gambling. He bought a motorcycle. He used our savings to buy crypto. He shaved his head bald. The last straw was him spending $20,000 of my savings to travel. Throughout this Liam was incredibly disrespectful to me.

Dave broke up with me when I asked him to stop hanging out with Liam and his other friends. He immediately moved in with a girl I had concerns about. I felt deeply hurt and for the first time in my life I felt like hurting someone in return.

I was miserable, out of my mind, and called Liam over. I wanted to ruin their friendship like he ruined my relationship. He was annoyed at Dave for something else and was down for anything. I woke up the next morning realizing that I made a huge mistake but it was incredible.

Unfortunately my bad decision caught up to me and I got pregnant. Ironic since I had always wanted children but I was told I was infertile. Both Liam and I were against children out of wedlock and we had a small wedding.

I was ready to grit my teeth and make the best of our marriage but surprisingly Liam turned out to be an incredible partner and father. If it was a mistake, it was the best mistake of my life.

Paige was very offended that I said Liam wouldn’t have been my choice initially. She said I was making myself superior. She said that she lost respect for me and would never talk to me again. She also messaged Liam to tell him what I said. Was what I said really that bad?

Edit: I should probably be clearer but I’m a lot more unfiltered on Reddit than here. I just said that while we knew each other before, Liam was basically a one night thing. Which is true. My other friends know the truth, because a few of them were there when it all unfolded.

Dave was furious at first, which is understandable. But we are cordial to each other. I did not get my money back unfortunately.

in comments Dave was using Liam as cover for his affair, so Liam was right pissed. and he finds the whole thing funny now and teases the OP/his wife that she hated him and now they're in love and together. and Dave and his AP broke up.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 18, 2023

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Whoops, didn't see it had already been posted, it was a two for one last page, I guess I skimmed right over it.

As for the story, it seems weird to me they can casually drop 5k+ on a bribe, and the only solution was to take the kid's room, I kind of admire the kid valuing the space over the material stuff.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Oh the sister needed the larger room for all the clothes we bought her but it equalled out by buying the son all the tech poo poo he wanted, which is why it makes sense to bribe him with tech poo poo he presumably already has. Also, moving back in with your parents as an adult sucks and I would never do it, but if you were a golden child, it probably does sound more attractive to have everyone at your beck and call.

Anyways, I doubt the children were treated equally.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa, straight past Monday this week?!

It's Olm Day already.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Grey Cat posted:

Kid's a bit of a dumbass for not just biting the bullet for a few months to get an entire gaming PC upgrade for free.

OP posted:

They asked us to move in with us for a year or so because they couldn’t find an affordable house immediately. They will eventually buy a house here.

"Eventually" is not a few months. Eventually may not even be a few years.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Grey Cat posted:

A year, not a few months. It's also unlikely that housing is going to get any cheaper within a year, he's probably going to be in the small room until he moves out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah, the assumption that housing prices are going to go down in the next year really jumped out at me. also it was like the second sentence, so

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Honestly even ignoring the room thing, it’s funny to be confused about why he would be unexpired to have two people plus an infant moving into the house.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

ad090 posted:

Tuesday it ain't, friend.

I should eat a probe for this.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Street Horrrsing posted:

Oh the sister needed the larger room for all the clothes we bought her but it equalled out by buying the son all the tech poo poo he wanted, which is why it makes sense to bribe him with tech poo poo he presumably already has. Also, moving back in with your parents as an adult sucks and I would never do it, but if you were a golden child, it probably does sound more attractive to have everyone at your beck and call.
Depending on when they moved into the house, the daughter having the larger room growing up could be entirely reasonable with the corresponding ages. If they've lived there for a while (e.g., when daughter was in high school), then yeah, you probably should give the bigger room to the 15 year old daughter rather than the 6 year old son because she really does need more space. And then once you have the rooms set up, if she lived at home during college (or came home regularly), I could see not wanting to immediately swap rooms even as he's going through middle school and starting to get more stuff and need more space.

But once she moved out (at approximately ages 23 and 14, respectively) and the room was up for grabs? Totally fair for him to not want to give up his nice room and go back to the small one.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

AITA for not going out to buy toilet paper?

quote:

I seriously think I’m about to get dumped over this.

GF is 20 I am 24. We live together. Have been together a little over a year, she moved into my house with me.

Every Saturday morning, I do a Walmart pickup. I do not go to any store any other time. I hate going into the store. GF knows this, the one time she convinced me to go shopping for groceries with her it was hell, so she never asked again. This was a thing even before she moved in. I usually get a lot of dog treats, stuff for protein shakes, and whatever other stuff I need for myself. I’ll add stuff if my gf asks me to.

This afternoon, I was in the bathroom doin my thing. I used the last bit of toilet paper we had left, but we had tissues in our bedroom, living room, and spare bathroom, so I brought a box into the bathroom and figured we could use that until I did a pickup next Saturday.

GF gets home from work (it’s late evening time now) I greet her and leave her alone to do her night routine thing. She texts me that we’re out of toilet paper in the bedroom bathroom, and to bring her some since she’s on the toilet lol. I tell her to use the tissues, we’re out of toilet paper.

She comes down to the room where I game, and says “have you seriously resorted to using our Kleenex for the rest of the week?” I just looked at her kind of confused and said “yeah, I’ve already been to the store this week” she stared at me for a few seconds and then rushed out. I didn’t think much of it and went back to my game. I heard her leave about 15 minutes later. Assuming to get toilet paper.

But when she got back, she was angry at me. I went up to see her about half an hour after I heard her get back. She was visibly upset in her office room. I asked her what’s wrong, when I saw her face she had clearly been crying. she just said “I went and got us toilet paper.” My dumb rear end was confused again, as to why this was a reason to cry and be angry.

She said “because, I’ve been at work all day, you’ve been home all day, you saw we were all out of toilet paper, and instead of going to get some, or at the very least asking me go get some on the way home, you decide for yourself and for me that we are both going to wipe our asses with my tissues that I bought for the rest of the week?”

I was dumbfounded, I mean I kind agree I should’ve asked her to pick some up, but I reminded her I only go to the store once a week. Then she just told me to leave her alone, so I said sorry and left.

She knows I don’t like going in stores, and that I only go once a week. I didn’t know we would need toilet paper this week…. But neither did she? Just doesn’t seem like I’m all to blame here.

Man I can't believe the GF might dump this kleenex wiper, what with everything they bring to the table, like adding something to the weekly grocery order if specifically asked to :jerkbag:

Also, bonus secret ending from OP's account

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

I put the tissues in the trash can. This upset her more when I told her I wasn’t flushing them. In hindsight, no I really shouldn’t expect her to use a bathroom with my poo poo covered tissue paper in the trash can. That’s gross. I forget I don’t live alone sometimes

well bud, things are about to get a lot easier to remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I get overstimulated as gently caress at the grocery store but I still gotta go sometimes when I don’t want to sheesh