Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Soul Hackers 2 is $16 USD on Steam. Worth it at that price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So Soul Hackers 2 is $16 USD on Steam. Worth it at that price?

I'm still thinking about it now...it's $22.19 but I struggle to complete games nowadays.

Alder fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 16, 2023

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm probably the biggest possible mark for the Persona 3 remake. Huge fan of P5 and that style, general interest in the themes/aesthetics of Persona games, enraptured by the good discussion on here, and my P5R post-finishing-the-game burnout is almost over.

P3 blew by me originally because I was all about Bioshock and replaying FFX for the 20th time back in the day. It's also aged up just enough where it's a touch janky and sore on the eyes - which I know comes down to personal taste. Despite some glaring faults that people bring up on here, I'd still be interested to play it in it's reloaded, refreshed form. Iffyness included.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
As long as you're not forced to harem all the girls to max out SLs I'll probably be reasonably happy. The one biggest change I'd make (well that and Operation Babe Hunt but I'll probably sigh and just file it away as 'Just Another Outdated Persona Mainstay').

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
https://twitter.com/gimmie20dollas/status/1703238612282699906

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Truth

gently caress retail.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i live in fear that persona 3 reload would hammer its theme like in p4/p5. god, i keep zoning out during p4's cutscenes because they wont stop speaking about de truths

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tired Moritz posted:

i live in fear that persona 3 reload would hammer its theme like in p4/p5. god, i keep zoning out during p4's cutscenes because they wont stop speaking about de truths

Did you not play P3, death was everywhere.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least p3 actually had death have an impact on the characters and their lives instaed of having characters say 'the truth' while having really boring character arcs that have no relation to that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats right, i have to face my true self: the same person i already was

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Did you not play P3, death was everywhere.

yeah but it was like a vibe. there wasnt like speeches about deaths before, during and after every boss fight

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am currently replaying 3, and lemme tell you, I'd trade people not talking about the plot and themes for people talking about the plot and themes nine times outta ten.

Nothing happens in this game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Omg, wait for the remake!!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I started this replay before Reload was announced and I'm continuing it because I'm curious about certain stuff I've forgotten about and how it'll be translated into Reload.

So, no

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Endorph posted:

thats right, i have to face my true self: the same person i already was

also I've already faced my worst trait, that I think I'm too good for this hick town, so now I don't have to address any of my many other character flaws no matter how frequently people point them out ot me

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like P4, it's not a very deep game and really it doesn't try that hard to be one. It has its issues, but it's still a fun ride.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I think P4 is the best nu Persona game but it really was the start of the protag hyper focus and the constant blabbering about its theme

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pretty sure P4 will always be my favorite Nu Persona game, despite its flaws. It just has the cast and setting I like the most and that is pretty much the entire allure of Persona games. Having an amazing soundtrack doesn't hurt either but that is a much closer race than which cast I like more.

Tired Moritz posted:

I think P4 is the best nu Persona game but it really was the start of the protag hyper focus and the constant blabbering about its theme

And yet P3 is the only game with a final boss who feels justified by the game's themes. I love P4 to death but does anybody really like Izanami? Did anybody really like Yaldy? Nyx Avatar, despite its length and potential Confusion-full heal bullshit, is the only final boss of the new games I really enjoyed. Because it felt like the perfect resolution to what the game was about.

Shido isn't really popular but most people love the Killer and certainly are more invested in stopping them than Izanami. "Abstract personification of the theme of the story" just has very little...emotional appeal, particularly when the game was all about somebody else, a much more real and human evil.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

*bravely* Izanami is fine

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Clearly you aren't Izanagi, Arist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
all the non-human villains are mid at best, including Nyx

also all the human villains, except for the two absolutely incredible ones in P5/Royal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, Adachi still really hits for me

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The Royal final boss fight was a much better way to finish that game than Yaldy was to OG P5.

Still, for all its faults, Yaldy as the behind the scenes manipulator was handled better than Izanami doing the same thing in P4.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
...Yeah okay Adachi's not my favorite, but they're good.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The P5 villain Yaldy is the best kind of villain because even when all is revealed you still want him to come back and be your creepy deep-voiced jailer. Sorry, I feel nothing for real Igor. Plus I love the way he says "You were never boring," like drat dude, we get each other, why'd it have to be like this?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
yeah but that's also when you meet Lavenza and she makes everything ok

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

all the non-human villains are mid at best, including Nyx

the arcana is the means by which all is revealed

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
There seems to be a cultural resonance to (P4) Izanami and P4's ruminations on the Truth that does not necessarily translate for non-Japanese audiences. I've read up enough to get to what they were going for but I'll admit it left me cold the first time I played. The twist that it was the gas station attendant was also kind blah. It should have been a character that maintained a presence throughout the story.

(P5R) Maruki is conceptually the best boss but mechanically his fight is such an anticlimax. The Azathoth phase is fine and the Adam Kadmon reveal is great, but it does not deliver since the first phase is a pushover and the second phase is a playable cutscene. Yaldabaoth is a better final boss: it's thematically cogent and mechanically complex, capable of offering a challenge at the level you're expected to be at.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't mind a good scripted unlosable final boss really

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Izanami should have been a Social Link

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem with the Adam Kadmon fight isn't that it's unlosable, it's that you can quite easily take it down before it gets a turn

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty sure P4 will always be my favorite Nu Persona game, despite its flaws. It just has the cast and setting I like the most and that is pretty much the entire allure of Persona games. Having an amazing soundtrack doesn't hurt either but that is a much closer race than which cast I like more.

And yet P3 is the only game with a final boss who feels justified by the game's themes. I love P4 to death but does anybody really like Izanami? Did anybody really like Yaldy?

The P5 final boss fight is such a bad case of not sticking the landing. Akechi is not only fire but an amazing distraction. And Yaldy should have been so good, but the final boss fight is a complete disaster that throws away the themes because the Yaldy final boss fight is almost entirely disconnected from Igor. If they'd just worked Yaldy to use Fake Igor's voice lines or catchphrases and had about half his special moves be based round the third eye, the guillotine, the gallows, or the electric chair, or even tearing personas in half it would have been awesome and far the best boss in the series. But as it was the final boss feels like they were air-dropped in from central casting and are a complete waste of something that had been excellently built up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Usually, I prefer P4:G over P5 base game but now I've played P5:R I say it's my favorite Persona game for now.

https://twitter.com/LY_Howe/status/1703059691293823233

I can't believe it's been 7 years later for the original P5 game :v:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i don't mind a good scripted unlosable final boss really

:same:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
P3's final boss still hits all the high benchmarks for a final boss with its thematic influences, difficulty, and of course, amazing boss music.

You don't necessarily need the final boss to be difficult but at least have the good music. P4's and P5's were... 'fine' but not even as good as their games' regular battle themes.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

P4's and P5's were... 'fine' but not even as good as their games' regular battle themes.

Disagree, especially on P4. The Genesis, The Fog, and The Almighty are all on my list of all time greats.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I remember P4's themes being awful, but don't remember 5's at all despite playing it much more recently, I'm not sure which is worse

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
When it gets to the orchestral refrain of the regular battle music, that P4 final boss track gets so drat good.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

P4's and P5's were... 'fine' but not even as good as their games' regular battle themes.

I will disagree with this take to the grave.

Yaldabaoth into Our Beginning for P5 and Throw Away Your Mask for P5R elevated those fights.

Maybe the first song got overplayed for some because of how long the fight went, but if that's the case, The Battle For Everyone's Souls should get the same criticism for how long THAT fight went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The Genesis sucks so much