Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I really liked the live action stuff they did for SOMA. Both the preview material and the stuff they released post launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
SOMA definitely shot up toward the top of my favorite games list when I first played it and started the trend of me playing horror games all through September and October.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Joe Chill posted:

I noticed Deadly Premonition is on sale for PC for dirt cheap and I was wondering if that port is still a buggy mess?

Even with the fan patches it's incredibly buggy and jank - and on top of that it's based on the lovely PS3 version which was already the lovely janky version of an already janky (but fantastic) game. If you can I highly recommend the original 360 version, because it's just kind of the best version of the game?

Mr E posted:

I don't get scared by games in general even though I really enjoy horror games, but Fatal Frame 1 & 2 are games that I tend to only play in the daytime because they really spook me for whatever reason. Very good games.

The biggest draw of Fatal Frame for me has always been the atmosphere, and a lot of the encounters really play into the feeling and vibe of the environment. It's why I like 1 and 2 so much, and even 4 to a lesser extent. But just can't really get into 3 and 5 at all. The Fatal Frame games have never really given as much poo poo about the actual survival horror mechanics as seen in like Silent Hill or Resident Evil though - just look at how many puzzles are literally right next to their solutions in the first FF! It's very much a series built on its mood and set dressing.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

That's a pretty bad price given Dread X Collection 2 costs $10.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Morpheus posted:

I just don't like it when protagonists work the entire film towards something, whether that goal is simply survival or something else, and just fail in the end. Not my cup of tea.

But he succeeded in the end. Just not how he, stupidly, thought it was going to go. A great happy/bleak ending we can all enjoy!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gromit posted:

But he succeeded in the end. Just not how he, stupidly, thought it was going to go. A great happy/bleak ending we can all enjoy!

Agreed!

I've been playing the System Shock demo (and I say 'been playing' because it's pretty robust - I've played a few hours and I'm still not finished it). Really liking it. It really captures the feeling of survival horror, as you may have a few guns and smatterings of ammo but if you turn the corner on a few enemies with guns, you need to be really careful. Plus hearing the lifeless 'yes, I hear you Mother, and I obey' and you look around the corner is never not creepy. My only complaint with it is that the maps are huge mazes. I'm already not great at navigating environments in games, and this one is a lot of samey-looking corridors with few landmarks, no compass or map to speak of (though I think you get a map later?).

I never played the original so this is a blast. And hearing SHODAN talk about the virus that will reshape humanity, after playing SS2, gave me chills.

Also it really makes me want a System Shock 2 remake, or to just play the current version with the graphics mod. Not to mention the cyberspace segments have me craving some more Descent.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Citadel Station was not designed with ease of navigation in mind. Not at all.

I bet everyone aboard that station would've killed for Isaac Clarke's 'where the hell am I going' locator light.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe they all have one and that's why it's designed by a crazy person

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing the System Shock demo (and I say 'been playing' because it's pretty robust - I've played a few hours and I'm still not finished it). Really liking it. It really captures the feeling of survival horror, as you may have a few guns and smatterings of ammo but if you turn the corner on a few enemies with guns, you need to be really careful. Plus hearing the lifeless 'yes, I hear you Mother, and I obey' and you look around the corner is never not creepy. My only complaint with it is that the maps are huge mazes. I'm already not great at navigating environments in games, and this one is a lot of samey-looking corridors with few landmarks, no compass or map to speak of (though I think you get a map later?).

Apparently the aim when they were designing it was 'a dungeon, but in space' which explains why some of the levels are so torturous.

But you should have a compass and map already, I think that's one of the first cyberwares you get from the cupboard after waking up?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Pseudohog posted:

Apparently the aim when they were designing it was 'a dungeon, but in space' which explains why some of the levels are so torturous.

But you should have a compass and map already, I think that's one of the first cyberwares you get from the cupboard after waking up?

....did I miss it? I got the flashlight but that's it.

Ah gently caress now I need to find my way back there.

Edit: I also really like how there are four categories to assign difficulty to. Though off-hand I only remember combat, puzzles, and something about surveillance.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The SS1 remake is almost an exact recreation of the OG game's level design which is a pretty horrible idea considering SS1 had worse level design than UW by a good margin.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The SS1 remake is almost an exact recreation of the OG game's level design which is a pretty horrible idea considering SS1 had worse level design than UW by a good margin.

And UW let you make notes on the map, which the SS1 remake doesn't let you do unfortunately. I dropped so many markers on the map, but then ran into the problem of trying to remember which marker meant what!

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

What is UW?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ultima Underworld, which I only know in this context because of the labyrinthine map.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Ultima Underworld, which I only know in this context because of the labyrinthine map.

Ah yes thanks. A video game I've never played but somehow know a lot about.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB4RHghEoeU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Morpheus posted:

....did I miss it? I got the flashlight but that's it.

Ah gently caress now I need to find my way back there.

Of course it was right on the shelf. I just walked right by it.

Anyway, beat the demo, really liked it, the only reason I'm not buying it is because it runs pretty sub-par on my computer. Seems like that inevitable time for upgrading is coming real soon, my 1080 simply isn't doing it anymore :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's weird how they haven't been pushing the release date for the Ada DLC up front in the announcements I've seen for that trailer. I didn't really bother following up at first because I assumed it was a ways away since this is the first big news I've heard about it. Nope, out in a week, as I would've found out if I'd just watched the trailer from the start :woop:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's weird how they haven't been pushing the release date for the Ada DLC up front in the announcements I've seen for that trailer. I didn't really bother following up at first because I assumed it was a ways away since this is the first big news I've heard about it. Nope, out in a week, as I would've found out if I'd just watched the trailer from the start :woop:

Oh awesome was going to start playing this tonight after giving up on my initial playthrough on Hardcore. Glad there's more content to look forward to once I'm finished.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are some good horror point n clicks? I bought Stasis and I'm about to get into it but I've played very few adventures newer than the early 00s so I've missed out on a lot of good stuff it seems

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
Ones I can think of offhand....
Gibbous is a goon-made horror/lovecraft/comedy game which I think was pretty well received
Fran Bow - psychological horror
Scratches - first person but similar to point & clicks
Scarlet Hollow - closer to a visual novel, but with more choice than most visual novels. It's episodic and only 4 of 7 parts are available now if that's a deal breaker.

I assume you've played Sanitarium?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

What are some good horror point n clicks? I bought Stasis and I'm about to get into it but I've played very few adventures newer than the early 00s so I've missed out on a lot of good stuff it seems

The Cat Lady

szary
Mar 12, 2014

The Last Door, Excavation of Hob's Barrow, Detention. There's also Polaris, but I found it kinda meh.

The Chzo Mythos series is also good but it's controlled using a text parser like old Sierra games.

EDIT: actually I remembered wrong, only one of the Chzo games uses a text parser, the rest are point and click.

szary fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 15, 2023

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

szary posted:

The Chzo Mythos series is also good but it's controlled using a text parser like old Sierra games.

That's only true for one of the 4 games in that series

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone trying Ad Infinitum? Seems like it might be cool or might be running through a lot of brown mazes lol

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What's the chant like? It's on promo and seems somewhat interesting

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Imagine like... mega low budget Evil Within that replaces actual weapons with new age bollocks like essential oils and incense only not nearly as interesting as that sounds.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Aww :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Agree with the above for The Cat Lady and Fran Bow, although the former comes with a whole load of trigger warnings.

Miss Fortune, the next game by the Fran Bow people, is good too although it isn't as intense.

If you're looking for more moderate creepy vibes rather than straight up horror then I'd also recommend Night In The Woods and Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Sally Face is a horror point n click kind of like Day of the Tentacle and other Double Fine games, though you spend most of the game in an apartment complex. I enjoyed the first 3.5 chapters of it but then it got kind of stupid, though chapter 5 has some cool visuals.

Critters for Sale is kind of a horror point n click game, though it's vibe is more eerie than outright scary.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Finished Yuppie Psycho, it was phenomenal. Real quality game, which I kinda didn't expect from the lo-fi presentation and the awful title.
Obviously tons of grotesque poo poo and satire you would expect in a game about Creepycorp(tm), but there's also heart, there's sense of drama... just a well-rounded product that left a nice impression. I liked how inventive it is, every puzzle or threat feels bespoke, and doesn't repeat like ever. It's a decently long adventure and I was entertained pretty much the whole time (and there's still a lot of stuff I haven't seen or figured out, hours of content, according to the Internet)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What kind of 9/10 game is Paranormasight? I mean Sea of Stars is getting 9/10s but everyone on this deceased homosexual forum says its balls.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What kind of 9/10 game is Paranormasight? I mean Sea of Stars is getting 9/10s but everyone on this deceased homosexual forum says its balls.

It's a pretty good horror mystery with very characterful art, and a bunch of fun and interesting ways to get your player character killed

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Observation on Paranormasight after a few hours: This cop guy has weird lips.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Observation on Paranormasight after a few hours: This cop guy has weird lips.

Amazing post/username combination. (I will also be checking out Paranormasight.)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Would definitely recommend Paranormasight. Great art, wonderfully written and likable characters, cool story, and fun puzzles!

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 15, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Rented Ad Infinitum on Series X and the performance is abhorrent. Game itself seems kinda interesting so far.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Paranormasight is really good and looks fantastic for a visual novel. Not too anime-y, lots of dynamic camera movement, great use of lighting. It really goes a long way in keeping you invested and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Started Saints and Sinners chapter 2, but I feel like I've missed out on a lot of stuff somewhere. No idea who some of these characters are or what's going on, was it all in the Aftershocks update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
I'll highly recommend Hob's Barrow, but I'm also very partial to its setting. Victorian folk-horror aside, the characters are intriguing and the puzzles are consistently logical throughout.

I'm beginning to think about Halloween and the slate of horror games I set aside to play every October. Last year I beat Prey, Scorn, Soma, Signalis, and a whole bunch of the Five Nights games this year I'm not sure....I suspect I'll replay Scorn because that game stuck with me after I finished it and I've been meaning to give it another run, and Mandalore Gaming has me sold on Stasis: Bone Totem (though I'd much rather play on console than on the PC, so I hope it gets a console release before October). I might replay REmake, but ideally I prefer my horror to be heavy on existential gloom and light on combat, similarly I've tried and failed to get all the way through the Evil Within so many times its become a kind of Fall tradition for me, maybe this year I'll manage it.

Otherwise I'm looking at Anatomy and maaaaybe Darkwood.