Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

carrionman posted:

Wait, when the hell did TOP become vaguely left?was it always?

For some reason I had it in my head that it was Act light, but they seem to agree with a lot of Geen, TPM stuff.

They are the apolitical party of science, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Yuiiut posted:

Yes!*

*provided you get 70% of the neighbours/local homeowners association to agree, but on the plus side you are allowed to directly bribe them.

I can't help but feel the battle to intensify would be easier if authorities did try bribery. Not the kind you mean, but wider community bribery. Want us to take a bunch of new houses? Then build us some other poo poo too! Upgrade our parks and town centres. Fix the stormwater overflows that flood the rivers with sewage now, not in 20 years time like currently planned. Get on the supporting infrastructure. Give people less to object to!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

I can't help but feel the battle to intensify would be easier if authorities did try bribery. Not the kind you mean, but wider community bribery. Want us to take a bunch of new houses? Then build us some other poo poo too! Upgrade our parks and town centres. Fix the stormwater overflows that flood the rivers with sewage now, not in 20 years time like currently planned. Get on the supporting infrastructure. Give people less to object to!

good way to make sure that housing costs as much as a town centre

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sounds a lot like you're trying to stifle private business innovation

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

carrionman posted:

Wait, when the hell did TOP become vaguely left?was it always?

For some reason I had it in my head that it was Act light, but they seem to agree with a lot of Geen, TPM stuff.

They've always been like that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Progressive JPEG posted:

it already does

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Progressive JPEG posted:

It's all stuff that's planned anyway, just reprioritised. Also, you stop spending money in the precious leafy suburbs not getting intensified. Why are we improving their infrastructure for no purpose?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Best description of TOP Ive heard is: Green party values, Elon Musk solutions.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It pretty much is the Green Party for tech bros.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

The best is that gif of the MENSA club from The Simpsons that exmarx posted.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

BuckyDoneGun posted:

They used to do that in at least some of the pre unification authorities. Developments would either vest land as a park or pay a reserve contribution towards obtaining and improving parks, and paid development or infrastructure contributions based on location and scope of the development. Often the fees would be reduced for things like e.g extending the water supply up a road, etc. Dunno what the policy is now.

Edit:
I found a tool that estimates development contributions, so here's what a 2 into 55 house development situated just outside Papakura would pay currently:
code:
Activity	Proposed HUEs	Existing HUEs	Chargeable HUEs	Rate per HUE	DC Charge ($ excl GST)
Reserve Acquisitions	60.00000	2.00000	58.00000	7,220.00	418,760.00
Reserve Development	60.00000	2.00000	58.00000	4,811.00	279,038.00
Stormwater	60.00000	2.00000	58.00000	884.00	51,272.00
Transport	60.00000	2.00000	58.00000	4,428.00	256,824.00
Community Infrastructure	60.00000	2.00000	58.00000	638.00	37,004.00
TOTAL				 	$1,042,898.00

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 10, 2023

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It's all stuff that's planned anyway, just reprioritised. Also, you stop spending money in the precious leafy suburbs not getting intensified. Why are we improving their infrastructure for no purpose?

also the bribes won't work because people will just vote no anyway, they aren't obligated to agree to the new facilities. and i suspect that housing built for those undesirable types is going to somehow be less agreeable

basically its just creating US-style HOA politics for every neighbourhood

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Lmao at the latest poll.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://x.com/BeeFaerie/status/1701517931451126108?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Apology not accepted

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

She was gone?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/nanaiamahuta/status/1701305726910734695?s=46&t=z-BpKV_zuayDXrjUW20mQw

interesting

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Is that for or against? I mean clearly the statement is again the loss of lives, and I'm sure it is against the coup but it's vague enough

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's pretty unambiguous klen

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah "a day to reflect on the sad loss of lives, and the importance of strengthening democracy and upholding human rights" is a pretty unambiguously anti-coup statement

the fact she chose to tweet about a hosed up US-backed coup on 9/11 instead of the WTC is an amazing bit of diplomatic sass and I'm fully here for it

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

exmarx posted:

it's pretty unambiguous klen

I'm sorry it's not my fault I'm a bit dim when it comes to these things

klen dool
May 7, 2007

It's not like chille got couped again

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

bike tory posted:

Yeah "a day to reflect on the sad loss of lives, and the importance of strengthening democracy and upholding human rights" is a pretty unambiguously anti-coup statement

the fact she chose to tweet about a hosed up US-backed coup on 9/11 instead of the WTC is an amazing bit of diplomatic sass and I'm fully here for it

Seems very un-labour. But good

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
norman kirk was friends with allende!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Kim Hill is stepping back from her regular spot on Saturday mornings: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/498069/host-kim-hill-leaves-rnz-s-saturday-morning-show-it-is-time-for-a-change-for-me

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Good. She's got too many boomer takes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Good. She's got too many boomer takes

Like what?

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Didn't she go light on that terf Kelly Jean loving Dickhead? Or am I misremembering

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Hahaha:

British journalist and author Tony Parsons hung up part-way through an interview after telling her "you've got your head up your arse," while British author and politician Jeffrey Archer told Hill she was rude and he had "every right to tell her so".

I wonder if those interviews are available anywhere

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I like Kim Hill and think she's an excellent interviewer and will be missed.
https://twitter.com/secondzeit/status/1702496760546132394?s=20

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 15, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Confusedslight posted:

I like Kim Hill and think she's an excellent interviewer and will be missed.
https://twitter.com/secondzeit/status/1702496760546132394?s=20

Yeah she rocks and has a decades long history of surgically eviscerating pompous idiots which is why I'm curious about her 'boomer takes'

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

sebmojo posted:

Like what?

telling vegans to go eat some meat

saying that everyone knows iraq has weapons of mass destruction.

she tries to win interviews far too often through smarmy posturing. I don't think much of John Pilger but her weak and petty comebacks in this interview are the kind of thing I'm talking about

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

telling vegans to go eat some meat

she tries to win interviews far too often through smarmy posturing. I don't think much of John Pilger but her weak and petty comebacks in this interview are the kind of thing I'm talking about

Pilger came off as a giant cock in that interview, I'm not sure how you could think he didn't? She asked him a reasonable question, he blustered like a self important twat, then it turned out he had a perfectly decent answer to it all along, how about that?

Also: literally twenty years ago

Anyway, asked and answered I guess

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

lol did she really?

I guess when you spend your work life speaking live on air you are bound to end up with some clangers after 30+ years. I love her interview style though, she treats people the way they deserve to be treated. Like her key strength as an interviewer is her ability to be thoughtful, curious, kind or absolutely brutal as the situation demands.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

lol did she really?

I guess when you spend your work life speaking live on air you are bound to end up with some clangers after 30+ years. I love her interview style though, she treats people the way they deserve to be treated. Like her key strength as an interviewer is her ability to be thoughtful, curious, kind or absolutely brutal as the situation demands.

She didn't in the linked interview, idk if she did somewhere else.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I guess whatever you think of her personal opinions, she's an incredible interviewer - her along with Suzie Ferguson, amazing.

I met Suzie once and absolutely didn't recognise her because drunk and also she's on the radio. I thought I recognised her voice.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
26 days till the election (and 14 days till advance voting starts)

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 17, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really don’t know who to vote for

I mostly just want more money and cheaper food and gas and lower interest rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That's all outside the toolbox I'm afraid.