Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think Professor Bigfoot is tall enough or broad enough to be Ape. He's not that much bigger than DJ Mothman who's very short.

Can't be Coach Oop either, he has extremely sloped shoulders while Ape is built like a football player. It could be one of the Oops, particularly the one in the back on the 2nd drawn panel, but at that point that's just a wild guess. There's not enough evidence to make an educated guess at who Ape is so we'll have to wait for the reveal.

Ape's accompanying Death Cultist from Chapter 4 is quite possibly Miss Baxter, and we know if any death cultist shows up with a mouse skull and is named Mouse/Rat, that it's the fortune teller from Chapter 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ditocoaf posted:

In the Mothman/Bigfoot/Stephen chapter, we saw that DJ Mothman is the ex-husband from the Price-Lee family, chasing his dreams while his ex hatches evil schemes to accumulate wealth that didn't come from his "vast snake-oil vitamin supplement fortune", and his daughter has a run-in with vampires.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-33

...I hadn't remembered that all until I reread the chapter recently. That chapter follows the Price-Lee family as much as it does Stephen.

"dog-powered bitcoin mining scheme" has still got to be one of the greatest sentences this comic has produced.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
yeah I forgot just how wild that chapter was. The loving Bigfoot pose :allears:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I started off annoyed with Chapter 6 because it was a wild swerve away from a bunch of other stuff that was happening, it felt. Now, Chapter 6 is far and away my favorite part of this story so far.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ditocoaf posted:

In the Mothman/Bigfoot/Stephen chapter, we saw that DJ Mothman is the ex-husband from the Price-Lee family, chasing his dreams while his ex hatches evil schemes to accumulate wealth that didn't come from his "vast snake-oil vitamin supplement fortune", and his daughter has a run-in with vampires.

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-33

...I hadn't remembered that all until I reread the chapter recently. That chapter follows the Price-Lee family as much as it does Stephen.

Oh you're absolutely right! so much happened in that chapter I forgot.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:siren: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-39

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Gotta say, the "Death cultists who actually want to kill Death" angle is not one I expected, but I am absolutely here for it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Also, that spirit armor is rad as gently caress. I was expecting Spectral Fist to just be like, Rock Lee's First-Seven-Gates kinda stuff, but then it turned into some kinda Gaara sand-armor thing instead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

Also, that spirit armor is rad as gently caress. I was expecting Spectral Fist to just be like, Rock Lee's First-Seven-Gates kinda stuff, but then it turned into some kinda Gaara sand-armor thing instead.

We've seen hints of it earlier, too.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Huh. I never noticed the wraps forming there. I guess I assumed it was just like, spectral constructs, like in the fight scene in the backyard that one chapter. It never occurred to me that they could go further than that.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

The_Final_Stand posted:

Gotta say, the "Death cultists who actually want to kill Death" angle is not one I expected, but I am absolutely here for it.

I now wish to join the death cult.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think Professor Bigfoot is tall enough or broad enough to be Ape. He's not that much bigger than DJ Mothman who's very short.

Can't be Coach Oop either, he has extremely sloped shoulders while Ape is built like a football player. It could be one of the Oops, particularly the one in the back on the 2nd drawn panel, but at that point that's just a wild guess. There's not enough evidence to make an educated guess at who Ape is so we'll have to wait for the reveal.

I previously wrote it off but on second thought I think there's a really decent chance that Ape is Coach Oop.

P.K. the doctopus is introduced immediately as Oop shows up. And we see here that he can un-slope his shoulders when he's not trying to shrink out of existence like he is at the beginning of the chapter. And why might he be nervous? Perhaps because he saw Davy Jones in the hallway (drawn there *because* of Max)? Or because he knows he's raiding Guerra Manor that same night?

This is an unusual amount of focus for Coach Oop to get for someone who's supposed to just be an one-off comic relief character. He also has a quite distinct body shape in Panel 4 here ... almost gorilla-like. Fortuneteller has rat/mouse motifs, gets the mouse mask. Coach has gorilla motifs, is dubbed Ape and gets the gorilla mask?

Why might Coach Oop fall in with the anti-death cultists? Maybe because his own daughter was facing down her own mortality?

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 23, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I previously wrote it off but on second thought I think there's a really decent chance that Ape is Coach Oop.

P.K. the doctopus is introduced immediately as Oop shows up. And we see here that he can un-slope his shoulders when he's not trying to shrink out of existence like he is at the beginning of the chapter. And why might he be nervous? Perhaps because he saw Davy Jones in the hallway (drawn there *because* of Max)?

This is an unusual amount of focus for Coach Oop to get for someone who's supposed to just be an one-off comic relief character. He also has a quite distinct body shape in Panel 4 here ... almost gorilla-like.

It feels like the comic is laying it on thick that it is Professor Bigfoot here because of the way he speaks, especially the part with the rhetorical "You are right to ask this, etc". But it being so obvious makes me think it might not end up being him. Maybe he has a twin brother or a cousin? It's not impossible for it to be Oops. He's a gym teacher so you can't rule out that he's not secretly evil in a YA work.

That said we know the doctopus was PJ's doing, its in the montage showing the ways PJ was helping Max later on in the chapter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JuniperCake posted:

That said we know the doctopus was PJ's doing, its in the montage showing the ways PJ was helping Max later on in the chapter.

It's just so conspicuous that PJ grabs the doctopus the very moment Oop bursts onto the scene, to the point that it suggests to me that that P.K. and Oop arrived at the same time.

And at the time the page came out, no one -- no one -- would've thought anything of it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Random thought triggered by checking old pages, but I wonder if Mrs. Starchman is a Spender. She has the same glitzy blondeness vibes.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 24, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It would be very funny if after all the speculation that Suzy is a Spender, for her to be revealed to be a Starchman instead, for her to then be revealed to also be a Spender after all.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

neogeo0823 posted:

My mind went to Super Sentai/Power Rangers. Especially because everyone would have their own color when they transform and get their super suit.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Okay this is the best page in ages.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-40

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is Crush gonna be OK?

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

pik_d posted:

Is Crush gonna be OK?

I don't think so.. I'm afraid he's dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"A high-pitched note shattered the silence of the night, and something shone beneath Ape's ropes, something hung around his neck [...]"

Like... say, a whistle? Between that and his speech patterns while in spirit trance I'm now convinced it's Coach Oop under that cowl.

How oblivious is Mr. Spender that he never realized one of his coworkers is also a spectral?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm starting to suspect that more people in this town than not actually know about ghost and spirit stuff one way or another, and there's only an illusion of an oblivious public because everyone is keeping their own secrets.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 29, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
And they're all so annoyed because none of them can leave town and none of them can explain why.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looking again at 8-03. There's the whistle, hanging conspicuously around his neck despite him dressing formally.

Looking again at 5-95. Last panel, he's not glaring at Jeff. He's glaring at Mr. Spender, who just sprang out from behind a corner while leaking spectral energy all over the place.

No wonder Chapter 5 lasted so drat long. So much of what felt like distractions/filler was actually super important to the plot. Cody, Ms Baxter, Coach Oop, Vice Principal DuNacht...

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

SKULL.GIF posted:

Looking again at 5-95. Last panel, he's not glaring at Jeff. He's glaring at Mr. Spender, who just sprang out from behind a corner while leaking spectral energy all over the place.

Y'know, if Coach Oop is Ape I wonder if he's talking to Hijack and not Jeff in that page you linked. I mean, here's where Coach enters the scene after the hitball game, with Hijack hanging out of Jeff. If Oop's a spectral then he'd be able to see Hijack.

"The stiffs 'round here don't let troublemakers go unpunished."

That could be referring to someone who's overly strict or to someone who's dead.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

red plastic cup posted:

Y'know, if Coach Oop is Ape I wonder if he's talking to Hijack and not Jeff in that page you linked. I mean, here's where Coach enters the scene after the hitball game, with Hijack hanging out of Jeff. If Oop's a spectral then he'd be able to see Hijack.

That could be referring to someone who's overly strict or to someone who's dead.

It also makes sense to me if coach oop can see hijack why he even dragged jeff to the office for punishment reasons at all. Like, 'oh no that kid threw a ball too hard in the ball throwing game' is not a disciplinary issue its just some sort of freak accident. Coach oop would probably be mentally making a note to shunt jeff into the more popular sports where his death cannon arm could be put to use.

If someone hit a baseball and it went right through the pitchers chest so you could see all the way through it, the hitter wouldnt get detention, i dont think

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

red plastic cup posted:

"That's not Jeff. Punish him."

Why is Coach Oop completely passed out in the middle of a class? Maybe exhausted from a bunch of nighttime incursions with the death cult?

Tragic Wagon
Sep 9, 2021

Got what it takes

SKULL.GIF posted:

No wonder Chapter 5 lasted so drat long. So much of what felt like distractions/filler was actually super important to the plot. Cody, Ms Baxter, Coach Oop, Vice Principal DuNacht...

It feels like Chapter 5 is where Zack started to really speed up on introducing plot elements. At the time it felt like the comic was languishing, but in retrospect it's actually doing a ton of work.

We're seeing all of that pay off now with a ton of elements colliding, and it's great.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm still hype for Hitball.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

"That's not Jeff. Punish him."

Why is Coach Oop completely passed out in the middle of a class? Maybe exhausted from a bunch of nighttime incursions with the death cult?

Did he fall asleep to.... videos of peeling carrots and... heavy metal music? What?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it's totally the coach. ape is part of a cult that wants to defeat death. coach was at the because he has extremely sick family member

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm starting to suspect that more people in this town than not actually know about ghost and spirit stuff one way or another, and there's only an illusion of an oblivious public because everyone is keeping their own secrets.
I still think it would be extremely funny if Suzy was literally the only person in Mayview that wasn’t aware of spirit stuff.

I’m also curious as to how a spectral “kills” a ghost. We know they can vanish from a spirit eating them, but they have no actual body to damage. I have to assume they just use up so much of their spectral energy (which we know is significantly slower to regenerate than a living spectral) that they just cease to be.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Farg posted:

it's totally the coach. ape is part of a cult that wants to defeat death. coach was at the because he has extremely sick family member

The coach sweating bullets at the hospital because his daughter's in remission and he is realizing he might have made some questionable choices is very funny

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
New page: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-8-page-41

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
aw poo poo hell yeah

this won't go well for crush but I definitely see this getting Oop to turncoat

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Crush rules, gonna be sorry to see him go.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This whole fight has been fantastically fun.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Awww yeah good old-fashioned therapy fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
drat that is satisfying