Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Wild how things can turn. I was 14 over with zero pars after 8 holes today (Territory Golf Club in St. Cloud, MN)....and then I made my first ever eagle on the 9th. Proceeded to par five on the back nine. Still went seven over on the back due to a couple rough holes that I couldn't recover after an OB tee shot....but I'm awfully pleased.

Was shooting well over 100 a couple of years ago. Feeling like mid 80s is a realistic average that I can hit in the next couple of years.

Congratulations on the first eagle!!

In my non-expert opinion, going from 100 to mid 80s is probably the most doable score Improvement below 100. I managed a mid-80s score once at the end of a summer I probably averaged two 18-hole rounds per week (pre-children).

I haven't done it since (got close a couple of times) mostly because I don't play a lot.

Limiting duff shots, limiting 3 putts and not taking risky shots gets you most of the way there. Putting speed control where you avoid rolling way past the hole primarily comes from lots of rounds and putts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
-1 though 9.
-2 through 10.
-4 through 11.

"No bogeys yet," I say to my cart partner.

-3 through 12.
-2 through 15.
-1 through 17.
E through 18.

:q:

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Played yesterday, first ever time in a bunker.

I rock up to take my shot, start my address. “You’re not allowed to ground your club, have you ever hit a bunker shot before?”
“Nope”
“Float your club face next to the ball, open the face, take a full swing and take a load of sand with it”
~wallop~
Ball proceeds to go straight in the hole.

I’m going to be chasing this dragon the rest of my life.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

"No bogeys yet," I say to my cart partner.

:q:

You did this to yourself you know that right lol :)

Had a very lovely front 9 at a course that always eats me up, I think I was 6 over, text a friend I hate this course why do I keep coming here after 9, proceed to go 2 under on the back 9 and text friend hey I love this course again.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Oodles posted:

I rock up to take my shot, start my address. “You’re not allowed to ground your club, have you ever hit a bunker shot before?”
“Nope”
“Float your club face next to the ball, open the face, take a full swing and take a load of sand with it”
~wallop~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQ3iIj75QU

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Oodles posted:

“Nope”
~wallop~

Holing out from anywhere is nice, but holing out from a bunker is super sweet!

It's been over a year since I holed out from off the green. :smithicide:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

This clip is the most evergreen golf thing. My first game I holed out from 81 yards away in a rough, between trees. Absolute fluke I will never be able to recreate.

Unrelated: I've become a golf hipster as my (used, 2019) OnOff forged Kuro irons showed up today. Of course I'm now on a flight for a business trip for a week so I can't try them out.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Any of you nerds on TheGrint app? I’m dancl

Seems like a bit of a strava/Strongr.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nah I'm on Arccos but I don't think any of y'all use it. :(

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We did a round of golf on my birthday and my husband hit a 350y drive (to be fair, it was off a cliff from pretty significant elevation, but it WAS still impressive, dead center fairway)

And now he is insufferable.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Oodles posted:

Any of you nerds on TheGrint app? I’m dancl

Seems like a bit of a strava/Strongr.

I’ve used it since my first round four years ago, the stats and social aspects are really nice. Same as my username here.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Paynes Valley trip has been booked for next year!Anyone been? Any tips, suggestions?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

Paynes Valley trip has been booked for next year!Anyone been? Any tips, suggestions?

Have fun! There are quite a few youtube vids that have been filmed there so if you want to see how it plays you could look around. GoodGood did a whole series there and played multiple formats although I think they played the Tiger tees every round. It seemed like everything was pretty wide open although some holes you could definitely short side yourself or miss on the wrong side of the fairway and be in trouble.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Kirios posted:

I got a shot scope due to no subscription fees

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'm a GolfShot man, myself.

Shot a soft 112 this morning, first round in two months. Thankfully I have more lessons coming up

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

GEMorris posted:

I got a shot scope due to no subscription fees

I'm intrigued - how good is the shot tracking compared to Arccos? Same thing - you screw a sensor in the back of your club and it auto tracks?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

I'm intrigued - how good is the shot tracking compared to Arccos? Same thing - you screw a sensor in the back of your club and it auto tracks?

If you take practice swings, it's really good. If you don't, you need to make sure it's picking up the swing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I don't take a lot of practice swings so I got into a habit of cocking my wrists when I first grip the club. That effectively touches the club's sensor to the watches' sensor that is in the band. I'm not sure the shotscope has missed a shot since I started doing that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah mine misses maybe 4 or 5 shots that I have to go back in and edit after the round. And the putting tracking isn’t great but from what I hear arccos isn’t great at that either.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Kirios posted:

I used Arccos for a couple years because my Ping irons and driver had the imbedded sensors and they came with a year. But I cancelled out of principle because I live in MN where I can only golf for seven out of twelve months but Arccos said "either subscribe for a full year or gently caress you". And while the auto shot tracking is cool.....it's not THAT cool. And I always had to manually enter putting because that never worked very well.

I use The Grint now and it's pretty good.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Urethane posted:

Yeah mine misses maybe 4 or 5 shots that I have to go back in and edit after the round. And the putting tracking isn’t great but from what I hear arccos isn’t great at that either.

I do manual putting only. It's not much hassle and it's always accurate that way.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there any sort of consensus cheapest time of the year to get fit for/buy new clubs?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
My only issue with shot scope is putt tracking. If you have the watch you don't have to remember to do anything (aside from pin collect on your last shot, which I always forget).

My #1 use case is getting hazard and green distances quickly (i have a slight shake that makes rangefinders difficult to use). The tracking is also very useful but at my current skill / learning / consistency level, Incan only really use the data from say the previous two rounds.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anno posted:

Is there any sort of consensus cheapest time of the year to get fit for/buy new clubs?

Usually right around the new year once the new model year stuff starts hitting shelves and all of the current stuff gets phased out. Any good fitter will do the fitting for free if you end up buying clubs.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
i use arccos but shotscope intrigues me because subscriptions are dumb, does it have the fancy stats stuff that arccos does? i like my stats

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

wyoak posted:

i use arccos but shotscope intrigues me because subscriptions are dumb, does it have the fancy stats stuff that arccos does? i like my stats

What do you mean by fancy?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Omg sponsored events at a golf course rules hard why didn't you guys tell me.

I would have started golfing decades ago.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Took my wife to play 9 holes today. She didn’t hate it, and she managed to hit the ball a few times.

op success.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The entire Theegala squad are the best. Dad is just a beacon of energy.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1703555806094922185?s=20

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anno posted:

The entire Theegala squad are the best. Dad is just a beacon of energy.

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1703555806094922185?s=20

They are the best people ever

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LET'S loving GO SAHITH

Anno
May 10, 2017

Hell yeah Sahith

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Ryan Fox and Sahith both winners this weekend - couldn't happen to nicer blokes :)

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Just signed up for a golf membership.

Access to four 18’s and a 9, all municipals, for £31 a month ($38). Got my first month free too.

Doesn’t allow me to play in medals or get an official handicap, but who cares.

Cheap golf.

And, local driving range is running half price kids lessons in the run up to Christmas. Got my 8 year old booked in for that too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wtf I would kill for a 38 dollars a month membership.

The absolute cheapest around me is like 250.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Lol I can’t even play a single round for under $45 (and that’s walking)

Jealous

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

RCarr posted:

Lol I can’t even play a single round for under $45 (and that’s walking)

Jealous

Yikes, I'm assuming you live in a high COL metro?

I don't think I would have picked up this sport if it was that pricey, munis and cheaper private courses here I can walk for 18-23 and cart for 27-40

How much does a large bucket of balls cost at the range for you? Is that equivalent? (Here its $10 for a large bucket, cheaper with purchase of a multi bucket card, and one place does $15 unlimited)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Yikes, I'm assuming you live in a high COL metro?

Try living in central florida. Even the lovely courses are $40-60/round. Wanna play a course without weeds growing in the fairway/greens you're look at $75+.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I live on Long Island, NY. In the summer the green fees are $45-$65 for weekdays, $65-$105 for weekends. Usually another $20 for a cart. In the off season you can sometimes find a round for sub $40 on weekdays. Weekends are still $65+ though.

A bucket of balls is about the same, $10-$12 or so depending on the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I live in northern Scotland, and have at least 14 courses within 10 miles.

They range from £30 for 18 to £300 (lol :smugdon:)

And a 50 bucket of balls is £5, and all bays have trackman / toptracer