Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

The game doesn't actually do that. It ramps up pretty well into Lara being a horror movie monster to the enemies.

It's great when you finally get a machine gun and some random mook, who's probably lost all his work friends from you killing them with a bow and arrow and just thinks of Lara Croft as some sort of death entity, yells out "oh poo poo, now she has a machine gun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pookah posted:

Yeah, I saw them years after they were originally released and they were incredibly creepy and gross in the way they managed to conflate a violent death with weird sexualized noises.

I'll take it from you, the expert of realistic death noises, apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1703404639473823781?s=46

You don’t like rape but you think the franchise should be expanded? Sounds like an ad hominem, checkmate Baquack Obamailures. :smugdog:

Brave of craftywank to come out in favour of being a nonce.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

...! posted:

That whole trial pissed me off. It sure seemed to me like Amber Heard got railroaded. Even if nothing she said was true (I don't think she lied) I don't see how any of it rose to the level of defamation, given how hard it's supposed to be to prove defamation under US law.

She did.
Depp had PR firms working social media, and the exploited the hell out of his fraudulent popular image of being a kind and wholesome character. I may be recalling what I read wrong, but some of her claims had been previously upheld in the UK courts.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nasty Teeth Johnny

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

HopperUK posted:

It did read a little like that other poster was urgently trying to find reasons the character *wasn't* trans, which is a bit weird, but I hope that's not what was happening.

I know this is a couple pages late (I went to sleep), but I do want to both apologize and explain myself:

I wasn't 'looking for reasons the character wasn't trans'--I'm trans myself and have very extensive feelings about gender non-conforming representation, particularly in that field of 'Japanese media getting a bit more daring while western media/localizations were not'. Thousand-Year Door was two years after Bridget was introduced in Guilty Gear, to give an eye on that particular era.

TTYD's localization process isn't as heavily discussed and documented as some of its contemporaries, so I admit I was working with incomplete information--it is impartially confirmed, and I didn't know that. I was just conscious that, without that impartial narrator confirmation, the sources weren't actually reliable; to the best of my knowledge of the Japanese script, Vivian herself never actually weighs in on that part of her story. Meaning that (again, outside of that impartial narrator comment that I didn't know about) the two sources were Beldam--who's constantly abusive and insulting towards Vivian and probably shouldn't be taken as an authority on her--and Goombella, a character who in a few parts of the story was already written as a bit gullible if she didn't have the truth. I wasn't looking for reasons she wasn't trans, and more pointing out that the bulk of the game's sources about Vivian aren't actually from Vivian, and we might be trying to read a (bad and in-poor-taste) joke as serious. Which, thankfully, we're not.

I'm happy to let this drop and move on, I just wanted to make it clear and say I'm sorry.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Sep 18, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
https://twitter.com/MargBarAmerica/status/1703473866398454240?t=IvdWlKCHfNucUAyVTeBDig&s=19

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

...! posted:

That whole trial pissed me off. It sure seemed to me like Amber Heard got railroaded. Even if nothing she said was true (I don't think she lied) I don't see how any of it rose to the level of defamation, given how hard it's supposed to be to prove defamation under US law.
My own conclusion after reading coverage was that they were both truly terrible people and both attacked each other and that the legal outcome should have been "neither of these people is allowed to be in any kind of relationship with anybody ever". I completely disagreed with people who thought "She abused him, so therefore he's innocent", which there was a lot of.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My own conclusion after reading coverage was that they were both truly terrible people and both attacked each other and that the legal outcome should have been "neither of these people is allowed to be in any kind of relationship with anybody ever". I completely disagreed with people who thought "She abused him, so therefore he's innocent", which there was a lot of.

my conclusion is that hetrosexuality should be outlawed

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

tokin opposition posted:

The only sensible position to take

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Steam is probably social media, and it sure is full of idiots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mutual abuse doesn’t exist.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

emSparkly posted:

gundam_cool_robot.png

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't know much about Starfield, but isn't the Warhammer 40k universe kinda sucky?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Every loving 15-30 year old manosphere/youtube drama dickhead fanboy on the internet was just using the whole thing for catharsis cause they wanted to see a woman get shot down in court. To them this wasn't a situation where bad things happened to real people, but an opportunity for them to have their W to hold up and discredit all women who come forward about abuse ever. loving ghoulish, misogynist poo poo.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

credburn posted:

I don't know much about Starfield, but isn't the Warhammer 40k universe kinda sucky?

yeah i mean it's grim and dark and there is only war and everyone is completely miserable and poo poo, but it's also fascist, which is what that guy wants, so

e: like, our boy is out there going 'if you want the future to look like a boot stomping on a human face forever, vote red' but he's on the red team, and also saying it on purpose

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Aphrodite posted:

Mutual abuse doesn’t exist.

Turns out a lot of people in abusive relationships aren't pure, passive saints, but will act out in various ways. This is unsurprising due to the constant pressure victims are under, knowing the slightest slip-up on their part can lead to their abuser lashing out at them. In fact, smart abusers will figure out how to trigger outbursts in their victims -- often in front of observers -- then wallow in pity for having to deal with such an obviously angry, irrational, cruel person.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

wash bucket posted:

gundam_cool_robot.png

Which party's campaigning to bring on a Gundam universe?

I mean, Gundam universes are also bad, but at least they've got space colonies. Sure, there's wars in them, but much like in the real world it's possible to just not live somewhere that affects you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Which party's campaigning to bring on a Gundam universe?

I mean, Gundam universes are also bad, but at least they've got space colonies. Sure, there's wars in them, but much like in the real world it's possible to just not live somewhere that affects you.

I was referring to this meme about fans completely missing the point of a piece of fiction:

In this case it's Warhammer fans missing the satire about the space marines being space fascists. Thought based on the one Warhammer game I've played the rights holders have apparently lost that thread too.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

tokin opposition posted:

You can take the boobs from my cold, empty hands. :black101:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vapor Moon posted:

You can take the boobs from my cold, empty hands. :black101:

I prefer booba, but I will settle for kiki

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

credburn posted:

The Imperium is literally described as 'the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable' in the intro text in every novel and rulebook.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Angry Salami posted:

The Imperium is literally described as 'the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable' in the intro text in every novel and rulebook.

That's a good thing to those creeps

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

...! posted:

I've always found it weird that with as much flak as those Tomb Raider death scenes have caught, no one ever mentions the end of Far Cry 3, which was released around the same time. The player's final act is a choice of whether or not to graphically slit the throat of the player character's girlfriend, who is tied up and begging for her life.

To me, that's a lot worse. I don't know how it slipped under everyone's radar.

Probably because it's at the end of the game so almost no one actually saw it. Especially since most people who would have been bothered by it and got that far probably chose the option where you don't see it. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coolness Averted posted:

That's a good thing to those creeps

I believe that they would describe it as “based”.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so is antman technically closer to the UK timezone or US time zones?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He's at +8 so he's closer to UK

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

wash bucket posted:

I was referring to this meme about fans completely missing the point of a piece of fiction:

In this case it's Warhammer fans missing the satire about the space marines being space fascists. Thought based on the one Warhammer game I've played the rights holders have apparently lost that thread too.
There's one that's just a space marine firing "Britain sucks" but this one will do too:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReoMC/status/1703505398849012023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

FFT posted:

There's one that's just a space marine firing "Britain sucks" but this one will do too:

I like how the Space Marine is of the Word Bearer chapter. That makes the thing even more amusing.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

FFT posted:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I need an uptick of Rockos Modern Life reacts yesterday.

The special on Netflix is really good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

That's so :effort:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/cosmepolitics/status/1703404746965405991?s=46&t=dWbIzzhtVJBEHVcnOV7ptw

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

credburn posted:

Yes but I imagine I will be a Cool Guy in said sucky universe, so it'll be worth it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The only people in the entire WH40k imperium that live semi-decent lives are the ones on such rear end backwater planets that they're basically still operating at a medieval level, and the rest of the universe mostly leaves you alone because they don't want to deal with your hick culture. And even then, only if you've hit the lottery and aren't one of the planets targeted by orcs or tyranids. So like, in the entire 40k galaxy, there are maybe 20 good planets to live on total.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

emSparkly posted:

Vote republican if you wish to be whisked away to be turned into a sentient alarm clock because you happened to overhear about the existance of military tech or looked at your hive's security officer the wrong way

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Oof. Talk about completely missing the point.

That picture is from 70 or 71, not the 50s.

deoju has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Sep 18, 2023

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/misteryurifag/status/1703138889106379239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lol that guy is an Effective Altruist